• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, they changed the sticks from nubs to actual sticks, made them clickable, changed the back grips, adjusted the size, changed the dpad position. A bunch of ergonomic changes. Did you guys read the article or watch the video? I'm not saying there's going to be drastic changes, but the 3 main complaints are

1. Ergonomics (the shape)
2. The nubs
3. Lack of buttons

And the top 2 have been shown to change fairly late

I think lack of buttons is the #1 complaint. Ergonomics always change with prototypes. Everything about wiiu was about ergonomic changes, except the analog sticks

You have to wonder why they would have a prototype without buttons if they intended to add buttons in the end anyway.

Croc

Banned
This looks a million times better than the last leak. Still not sure about no buttons. I'll have to try that in person. But way more on board with this leak than last one. It's kinda giving me Vita vibes.

jaypah

control schemes just aren't an issue. lack of feedback is though. I would never even consider buying this unless it has some secret sauce haptic feedback that makes it feel just as good as a button.

Maybe they got that screen morphing tech? Or did I make that up? Either way, tech that new would seem expensive and not leave a ton of room for a nice CPU/GPU considering Nintendo isn't going to come in over $400.

You know what. Im ok with it. Theres a PS4 and One if you want regular controllers. I like trying something new. The whole controller being a screen is cool. The UIs on that thing are going to be pretty slick.

muteki

The thing that worries me about this design is the lack of proper grips. Haptic feedback and stuff is cool, I'm not sure how well it'll work but I'd be willing to give it a shot, but for me proper grips are necessary for gaming. I used to game on PC and one of the main reasons I had to leave it behind was because gaming on a keyboard for longer than an hour caused me a lot of pain. Same thing happened with my Vita before I got grips for it. For some reason gaming puts a lot of stress on my wrists but that doesn't happen when I have a traditional controller in my hands with the proper grips. I assume there will at least be a third party shell for it but it's a big oversight for someone like me.

this should be the least of your concern.

3rd party grips would be there day -1 if this form factor is final.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
One point: it shouldn't be assumed that (if this is real) the NX controller is the only input device. Nintendo just came off two consoles in a row which supported multiple primary devices: classic style gamepads, motion controllers, LCD tablet gamepads.

If this thing is real I would bet there is a "pro" controller that's a typical twin analog stick design. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the wireless Wii U pro pad can be paired with an NX to reuse existing accessories.

Nintendo is still reusing Gamecube controllers over a decade later for games that require the appropriate method of input.

wig

I like the idea of it working as a portable system too. Can't wait for Nintendo to officially reveal it. :D

Mr Swine

Banned
And again, why not go full touch screen controls? Why have this half way stuff? If this is any indication that Nintendo is moving to a near buttonless controller and handheld then I'm not interested in buying their stuff anymore :/

Makonero

whatever screw the haters
see this is what separates ninfans from the rest of yall. At least we have heart and soul, and are willing to stick with our loyalties to the bitter end. Sure we might disappointed now and then, but in the end nintendo in our eyes has delivered. And thats all that matters. We still have faith in something real, and we aren't quick to sell our souls to the fastest processors or the glitziest gadgets.

I believe

if youre a nintendo fan say it with me now. I believe.

I BELIEVE.

OdN2Ym1.png

akileese

I still think it's fake, but if not, color me intrigued.

Well, it matches a Nintendo patent flawlessly so if it was a fake, that would mean someone managed to build a prototype device based off of the patent filings. I suppose that's possible, but that seems like a really huge effort just to troll the internet.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I feel like 95% of the Nintendo leaks I read on GAF come true, so yeah, this is probably true. Nintendo has been leaking like crazy. Look at their record over the past year...

ViciousDS

Banned
Not really. I imagine for most games you'll just use a standard (possibly customizable in terms of layout) digital button layout using haptic feedback for tactile response instead of physical buttons. And really, the only advantage a physical button would have over a digital one is tactile response

so basically the ability to play a game without looking at the screen to see what your fingers are hitting

that's a pretty big fucking advantage

cory64

Maybe their endgame is to license the tech so they can make games on mobile on their own terms and the whole NX thing is just to get Apple's attention.

Good question.

It's the quality of the image, how easy would it be for someone to take that leak from a week or two ago and create a physical mock? It would require someone with the talent and equipment and into fooling gamers to create that. Think about what would need to go INTO creating images like this.

It's not fake; as in the contents of the image. Is it the NX console controller specifically? That's debatable.

Sorcerer

Those sticks look like the kind one finds on those special fighting control pads.

Maybe they want this controller to work especially well with Smash Bros, without having to buy a separate pad?

kromeo

Maybe it's like Vita.

An independent handheld, that can also be a second-screen controller for the home system. Or in this case, IS the controller for the home system. But scalped of physical buttons.

I dread to think what the cost is going to be if this is some kind of forced controller for the console, I really can't see them making that mistake again

gazele

Banned
whatever screw the haters
see this is what separates ninfans from the rest of yall. At least we have heart and soul, and are willing to stick with our loyalties to the bitter end. Sure we might disappointed now and then, but in the end nintendo in our eyes has delivered. And thats all that matters. We still have faith in something real, and we aren't quick to sell our souls to the fastest processors or the glitziest gadgets.

I believe

if youre a nintendo fan say it with me now. I believe.

I BELIEVE.

/2005

Cue musical segment *And A Nintendo Fan Just Belieeeves*

Iokis

While I have to admit to this ringing my alarm bells, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt till I see it in action. I was also very skeptical of (and ended up very much enjoying) the Wii and Wii U. Whether the market also sees it that way is another matter entirely, of course...

You know what. Im ok with it. Theres a PS4 and One if you want regular controllers. I like trying something new. The whole controller being a screen is cool. The UIs on that thing are going to be pretty slick.

The market made it clear they don't want to try new things for the sake of trying them.

Not gonna reserve final judgment until we see it at E3 (and even then I'd have to wait to try it), but "new for newness' sake" worked out horribly for the WiiU.

luffeN

Does anyone know which language keyboard that is? Might be easy to find the leak that way. At least one might guess the region.

Leatherface

Perhaps that part is matte. The screen looks like it stops in-between the analog.

Agree, but the smudge I am talking about is on the screen below the left analog to the right of the matte part. There are seemingly no other real smudges on the right side where on screen "buttons" most likely would be.

Anth0ny

Millenials are cute, forgetting all about the virtual boy.

I'm not normally one to bask in salt, but my god is this thread glorious.

Virtual Boy was a weird thing on the side, failing while their main business (SNES and Gameboy) dominated.

Wii U was their primary home console. It sold less than the Gamecube, which Iwata himself said was a failure and that they should leave the video game business if they can't sell more than the Gamecube.

Wii U is their biggest failure, no doubt. It has put them in a worse position than they have ever been in.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Maybe it's like Vita.

An independent handheld, that can also be a second-screen controller for the home system. Or in this case, IS the controller for the home system. But scalped of physical buttons.

I'm not seeing the 'totally new' here that Nintendo teased. On the surface this concept would be one of obvious refinements to the same ideas they've already explored. Unless there's 'one more thing' that puts a totally different spin on it.

I note that this device - if it is also their handheld - would allow a neat route/accommodation to touchscreen only mobile games, if that's where Nintendo's portable strategy is headed. Or if they want to keep that door open.

It could just cast to the TV screen using an app, or maybe a bundled HDMI dongle. That would be the easiest route to go.

This definitely looks real. Despite being burned by the Wii U I think I might be interested in this. Hmmmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom