• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I don't believe for a second this is the final design.

Boogdud

It's not going to vibrate when you hit the button.
Like yeah you might have to slide your thumb along and it'll "rumble" when your thumb is over the button then You'd press harder to press the button.
That's assuming it uses a technology like apples 3D Touch or something to detect how hard you're pushing the button.

That sounds so awful, it better be better than that. Running my fingers all over the controller while I'm playing a game, sounds fantastic.

Seriously the back of this thing better be loaded with effin buttons. Because otherwise, Nintendo is falling on it's face. Nobody is going to buy a phone with two nubs on it.

Not feeling it. Man, I really hope that's not close to the final design. It just looks like a lemon shaped smartphone with analog sticks. Keeping my hopes up for actual buttons on this thing.

Ein Bear

Oh for fucks sake.

I wanted this to be fake, but evidence is piling up. So it's the Wii U GamePad again, only this time they took away all the buttons and gave it a shit form factor.

whatever screw the haters
see this is what separates ninfans from the rest of yall. At least we have heart and soul, and are willing to stick with our loyalties to the bitter end. Sure we might disappointed now and then, but in the end nintendo in our eyes has delivered. And thats all that matters. We still have faith in something real, and we aren't quick to sell our souls to the fastest processors or the glitziest gadgets.

I believe

if youre a nintendo fan say it with me now. I believe.

I BELIEVE.

/2005

Let em know

I BELIEVE

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Thought this was so stupid when I first saw the patent but you know what? Fuck it, I'm all in. I'm on the Nintendo train until it careens off a cliff.

Oddduck

I think this lines up with the Wall Street Journal rumor.

It makes sense that Nintendo would create another controller with a screen.

The exact shape of the NX hardware isn't yet clear. People familiar with the development plans said Nintendo would likely include both a console and at least one mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/16/9550113/wsj-nintendo-nx-console-handheld

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
whatever screw the haters
see this is what separates ninfans from the rest of yall. At least we have heart and soul, and are willing to stick with our loyalties to the bitter end. Sure we might disappointed now and then, but in the end nintendo in our eyes has delivered. And thats all that matters. We still have faith in something real, and we aren't quick to sell our souls to the fastest processors or the glitziest gadgets.

I believe

if youre a nintendo fan say it with me now. I believe.

I BELIEVE.

/2005

I mean, I'm willing to give it a try first before I judge it, but man all I can think of is how terrible touch screen buttons are and my brain is like ABORT ABORT WEE OOO WEEE OOO WeEOEOO

People said the same thing about the wiiu controller as well

People also said the same thing about the vita in general and the wiki. Just because Nintendo had a hit in the past doesn't validate every one of their decisions
Wii U and Vita are good controllers. The thing about "people said the same thing about the wii" is that people didn't know how it would work or feel.

Ricky_R

batmanb5jua.png

pj

Banned
Someone should calculate the size of it based on the size of the wii u gamepad or the macbook trackpad or something.

It looks quite small. Like a cellphone with significantly rounded edges

Oppo

kinda funny that Sony termed the Vita a "Super Oval Design"

this is like the "Uber Oval"

what if it has something insane like wrap-around button shells? that would be a somewhat Nintendo-Like™ Solution

like a 4:3 shell mask for DS compatibility that displayed screens side by side and provided traditional face buttons. they love shit like that

Rvaisse

the buttons are shoulder buttons

+ haptic/touch screen stuff

honestly I think it could really work. please be a handheld though. as a controller, not so much. was never sold on the split attention thing on the Wii U. if this works as a controller for "NX Home" then ok.

Buttons are there, the sticks are used as primary buttons according to the patent, i guess these new kind of stick will have a better "push" than the clicky stick we already now.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
No, they changed the sticks from nubs to actual sticks, made them clickable, changed the back grips, adjusted the size, changed the dpad position. A bunch of ergonomic changes. Did you read the article or watch the video?

Yes, my point still stands. None of the changes from the prototype to final version of the Wii U gamepad were drastic changes to the overall design. They were nice changes, but the core product was solidly designed. You really think they're going to completely redesign the entire form factor of this between now and possible launch this holiday season?

Dicer

Banned
And again, why not go full touch screen controls? Why have this half way stuff? If this is any indication that Nintendo is moving to a near buttonless controller and handheld then I'm not interested in buying their stuff anymore :/

On-screen buttons work far better than on-screen dpads...

Haptic buttons will be fine, but give me a real pad for movement.

Nibel

They will need some fine-ass Nintendo voodoo-magic that was developed in a Kyoto underground lab for ages to make up for not having real buttons

Well, it matches a Nintendo patent flawlessly so if it was a fake, that would mean someone managed to build a prototype device based off of the patent filings. I suppose that's possible, but that seems like a really huge effort just to troll the internet.
Pretty much, even more effort than the Rayman thing.
Nintendo needs to have a Direct on April 1st.

Edit: GI editor says pictures matches what he has heard about the controller. Well...

I think lack of buttons is the #1 complaint. Ergonomics always change with prototypes.

You have to wonder why they would have a prototype without buttons if they intended to add buttons in the end anyway.

I still think lack of buttons is a reactionary response from people who have no real understanding of the concept of haptic technology. I'm not sure how well the technology will work, but theoretically it could simulate a physical button really well, while providing additional advantages not present with them.

Honestly, if anything concerns me, it's that the cost of the controller will likely be pretty high. Though they'll likely have pro controller equivalents anyways if that's the case

I wonder if Nintendo fans will sudden;y decide that touch-only controls (ala mobile gaming) is actually fine after all. >_>

Fwiw I do think it's fine, but that controller is not the way to do it.

If the touch-only technology is improved enough over the current state of mobile gaming to where you can actually do "real" gaming on it, why wouldn't people be OK with it?

I really know I shouldn't care since I doubt I will buy the NX anyway.
but holy fuck, that looks genuinely awful and this is probably one of the reasons why I went with Xbox 360 the last generation(before pc) because I really hate the controllers Nintendo does now at launch.

A simple change that would be alot better is to simply not have sticks in the middle of the screen where the touchscreen/display is because that makes it look so ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom