• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Gamer Uncharted 4: Story Trailer Analysis & Technical Preview

JakR

Great can not officially watch this on youtube germany, because conflict with GEMA.
I really hate this sh..t.

nOoblet16

He mentions MSAA reconstructionto hit 1080P but names Rainbow Six Siege, AC: Syndicate and Killzone: Shadowfall when they all used different techniques and only Siege was the one that used MSAA reconstruction.

Based on Rainbow Six's implementation, MSAA reconstruction isn't without its flaws. It gave geometry a small sawtooth edge while the scene is moving. This got negated with the Temporal AA which made it stable but also blurred the image. But with the TAA applied full 1080P (with TAA) was indistinguishable from reconstructed 1080P and the only way you could tell the difference was if you disabled TAA.

Shadowfall on the other hand used something entirely different (and only for MP) and there is no other game that tries to do what it did to boost the resolution. Now while the artifacting is slightly noticeable since it doesn't use a heavy TAA like Siege, it also means its image is lot more crisp. Also based on what I've seen the artifacting is still less than what you see in a reconstructed Siege image sans TAA.

As for AC: Syndicate, that game is traditional 900P on both consoles with a post process AA. No reconstruction or tricks, so don't know what NXG was talking about there.

DavidDesu

On the bus after a long shitty day, actually excited to watch this when I get home. This guy does fantastic technical analysis. I'm sad I know.

jaypah

On the bus after a long shitty day, actually excited to watch this when I get home. This guy does fantastic technical analysis. I'm sad I know.

That's what fandom is about. If your favorite thing can't make you happy then what's the point?

LostDonkey

Is ND doing the "enemies rendered at a lower FPS further away" like Halo 5?

Couldn't help but notice in the NX Gamer video at the 03:01 mark, just as the gunfire starts, the crowd in the back of the scene looks to be running at a lot lower fps than the rest of the scene.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

Couldn't help but notice in the NX Gamer video at the 03:01 mark, just as the gunfire starts, the crowd in the back of the scene looks to be running at a lot lower fps than the rest of the scene.

Why would they be doing that when the main game got cut off at 30FFS ?

That would mean they're cutting corners to maintain 30.

Ew.

nOoblet16

Almost every game does this. Some cut the shadow refresh rate to 15FPS for far away shadows, some do it for physics, some for animation in background. This is how video game rendering is and has always been, it's madness to render everything at full quality and full resolution all the time regardless of the importance and visibility of the material. No one really complains about LOD for geometry, why complain about LOD for other stuff?

Halo 5's animation was an exception because of how close to the player it happens, which is what made it jarring.

Does he mention the strange blocks that appear in certain scenes? They were present in the Nadine reveal footage too. Like little square artefacts.

LostDonkey

Almost every game does this. Some cut the shadow refresh rate to 15FPS for far away shadows, some do it for physics, some for animation in background. This is how video game rendering is and has always been. No one really complains about LOD for geometry, why complain about LOD for other stuff?

Halo 5's animation was an exception because of how close to the player it happens, which is what made it jarring.

I didn't notice it in Halo 5 until someone showed me. But that bit in the UC4 video really stood out. Just wondered. Didn't know most games did this. I've only ever seen it in these two games.

In the GamingBolt article and video:

Moving ahead, it’s quite easy to get distracted with scenes such as the above but there is a tiny little detail here that is easy to miss out. When the vehicle comes to a standstill, the dirt flow changes its direction.

I watched the trailer in details and even watched the trailer they posted with highlighted yellow circle but I couldn't understand what they mean. I noticed mud getting stacked on the wheels and getting progressively solid which is a very nice detail but I couldn't understand what did they mean by: "the dirt flow changes its direction."
Can someone further explain please? Thanks.

He mentions MSAA reconstructionto hit 1080P but names Rainbow Six Siege, AC: Syndicate and Killzone: Shadowfall when they all used different techniques and only Siege was the one that used MSAA reconstruction.

Based on Rainbow Six's implementation, MSAA reconstruction isn't without its flaws. It gave geometry a small sawtooth edge while the scene is moving. This got negated with the Temporal AA which made it stable but also blurred the image. But with the TAA applied full 1080P was indistinguishable from reconstructed 1080P and the only way you could tell the difference was if you disabled TAA.

Shadowfall on the other hand used something entirely different (and only for MP) and there is no other game that tries to do what it did to boost the resolution. Now while the artifacting is slightly noticeable since it doesn't use a heavy TAA like Siege, it also means its image is lot more crisp. Also based on what I've seen the artifacting is still less than what you see in a reconstructed Siege image sans TAA.

As for AC: Syndicate, that game is traditional 900P on both consoles with a post process AA. No reconstruction or tricks, so don't know what NXG was talking about there.
Oh I did not get that far into the video. Weird that he assumes that about MSAA-trick (of any variety) in this game and in the AC games. Sigh.

I didn't notice it in Halo 5 until someone showed me. But that bit in the UC4 video really stood out. Just wondered. Didn't know most games did this. I've only ever seen it in these two games.

Which was weird. I noticed it in halo immediately, without even reading the DF article

But is any of it tessellated?

There is dynamic tesselation for the characters confirmed since PSX 2014 from the devs and NX Gamer.

The game uses dynamic tesselation so when looking a little far from Nathan face his facial structure like his nose get a slight ploygon decrease but when you look in a very close up you get his full face in loseless details and this has beeen confirmed by the devs in the PSX 2014 and there were even gifs at gaf proving that with his back straps and his belt getting more ploys when you make the camera very close. The same has been applied to the cutscenes, at the end of the E3 gameplay wehn Nathan meets Elena, in the cutscene the chair gets suddenly buffed in more ploys just when the camera gets closer to it and the jeans of Elena get their textures streamed late (this should have been already corrected since texture streaming now doesn't show any pop in from the new trailer), and the same is applied to the bullets, they just get more round with dynamic tesselation in the cutscene just like the gameplay examples I mentionned.(Dynamic tesselation has been used since GT6 on PS3 to buff certain car parts when the camera is closely facing them, watch the trailer to seei it).

nib95

Banned
Not bad, though not quite as detailed and thorough as some of his others. I'd have liked a scene by scene break down or at least close to.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Not bad, though not quite as detailed and thorough as some of his others. I'd have liked a scene by scene break down or at least close to.
NXG's videos have been getting worse and worse lately. He just adds a lot of fluff and terrible puns and has less technical talk than ever.

rambis

Banned
In the GamingBolt article and video:

I watched the trailer in details and even watched the trailer they posted with highlighted yellow circle but I couldn't understand what they mean. I noticed mud getting stacked on the wheels and getting progressively solid which is a very nice detail but I couldn't understand what did they mean by: "the dirt flow changes its direction."
Can someone further explain please? Thanks.
The dirt cloud trails as the vehicle is moving and upon the stop it flows upward realistically. Suggests that it is dynamic and not just a repeated particle effect.

Did ND ever say anywhere that they are using the GPU for AI work? I never remember reading something like that.

He basically talks out of his ass in platitudes for 90% of his videos. I'm surprised no one else has noticed this.

"This will be pushing the PS4 to it's limits as ND always strives to do" I mean stuff like that should really explain itself.... fluff.

In between that fluff occasionally he'll actually point out something worthwhile but it takes ages to get to those points.

Some of his earlier videos were a lot better when he pointed out more interesting effects like in the U4 reveal trailer.
NXG's videos have been getting worse and worse lately. He just adds a lot of fluff and terrible puns and has less technical talk than ever.
Nevermind, glad I'm not the only one to notice this.

He basically talks like an article monkey in Youtube 90% of the time now.

Top Bottom