• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eradicate

I somehow hope this is bullshit. Otherwise there's basically nothing after Uncharted for me until NX drops. 2016 is easily the worst year for video games I can think of.

image.php

(I finally got done catching up on all the news so far and...wow!)

The Boat

"Big" doesn't matter to Kimishima. If it did, they'd have just done it at E3 where they'd get the most for their money. It's going to be a Nintendo Direct in September or October for sure to cut costs. Kimishima is focused on improving profit margins above all else, and I won't be surprised if they never put a focus on E3 while he's in charge.
I really doubt the money spent on E3 has any significant bearing on their profits.

Audioboxer

This is insane. Why, just why, would Nintendo choose to not reveal anything about the NX at E3 when its release date is in March next year? E3! The biggest gaming conference ever where they used to be legends at!

Are they really just going to save it for one big Nintendo Direct?

I...I don't even know what else to say at this. I'm practically flabbergasted at these decisions they've been making.

My goodness Nintendo, what's going on here?

Stubborn Japanese company not interested in the global market changes/expectations? I gotta think NoA know how to do it, but HQ in Japan is all like "wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee". We've seen Sony practically shift HQ to SCEA due to how massive console gaming is in the West compared to Japan.

Clov

This is really, really disappointing. March 2017 I can deal with, but no NX at E3 at all? What do I even have to look forward to at Nintendo's show now? What are they even doing for the rest of the year? This just makes me feel like Nintendo's going to have another terrible E3. I didn't even mind last year that much, either.

SerTapTap

Seems like bad news to me. More games would be cool, but realistically how often has 3 extra months meant a significant improvement in launch lineup? That's like one decent game extra going by the wWii u calendar.

labx

Banned
Now Sony. Make your move at the E3. Release NEO this holiday season and crush it... And delay the Last Guardian to keep the tradition.

So with Nintendo basically skipping E3 this year for announcements and playable games does this mean we'll finally get to see the changes in the Direct format that were talked about before? Maybe a bigger event that's live, or even getting the NX and some games playable at Best Buy after showing a Direct, or doing smaller live venues around various territories?

Shabad

I am probably missing something., but with Zelda out of the way, what are the Wii U title for the rest of this year... ?

MuchoMalo

Banned
Go dig through my post history if you really feel like it, champ. People were shouting down anyone suggesting a 2017 date. You know first-hand how crazy those speculation threads get.

To be fair, you were expecting holiday 2017, were you not? The only reason anyone shot down Q1 2017 was that it's a terrible business decision to launch an expensive console outside of the holidays with a lack of marketing, so either Kimishima is sending it to die or it's going to be extremely cheap ($150 overclocked Wii U or $150-200 handheld + $99-150 PSTV-type console).

Nanashrew

Banned
now give me the news that the nx is backwards compatible with the wii u and i'm selling mine immediately later today.

Not happening. Nintendo plans to make at least 4 ports of Wii U's top games for the first year of NX to fill in gaps according to rumors. Plus they need to move on to a new architecture because Power PC is a dead end. Any hardware they pick will be standardized because they all are these days.

Also we have one legitimate source who has leaked Nintendo CPUs before and has stated that the NX CPU is better than the PS4 and Xbox One. That's all we really know that's more concrete I suppose.

Arkhanor

After what happened to the Wii U, they must be absolutely careful regarding big software/hardware launches. I do hope the NX and the new Zelda are great.

Ryuuga

Banned
Hell if I know. But rushing your next flagship console to market in March without it getting optimal press/marketing cycles and with a potentially lacking lineup is perhaps worse than just laying dormant and coasting on Wii-U for another year.

But yeah, they are boned either way.

Wii U was revealed to much confusion that continued throughout most of it's life cycle. If they just release their next console, with little to no information, there leaves little opportunity for confusion. It's a solid plan.

bachikarn

This is insane. Why, just why, would Nintendo choose to not reveal anything about the NX at E3 when its release date is in March next year? E3! The biggest gaming conference ever where they used to be legends at!

Are they really just going to save it for one big Nintendo Direct?

I...I don't even know what else to say at this. I'm practically flabbergasted at these decisions they've been making.

My goodness Nintendo, what's going on here?

Nintendo is run like a toy company. Not a tech company. They are inefficient. It has worked okay in the past for them because they haven't had any major failures. I believe Kimishima is restructuring them so maybe they will become more agile in the future.

Nintendo is certainly capable. Splatoon was developed in just a year. But the rest of their projects seem to take longer than they need to

Peterc

10k told us we could expect a Ndirect 9may fo nx reveal, does this still count? :p

Maybe they just want to release a new handheld and wait with console untill next gen starts.

Bought a WiiU thinking we'd get a new Metroid... a new 3D Mario (a mario 64/galaxy continuation not 3D world) and a new Zelda.

We might get one of those things but only as it's available for the next console. What a fucking mess.

It's been said a billion times... and i'm going to say it too...

I REALLY wish Nintendo would just shut down the hardware and concentrate on making awesome games for PC/Xbox/PS. Imagine 1080p 60fps 3D Mario or Metroid on PC!!! Evolve Nintendo.

“For our dedicated video game platform business, Nintendo is currently developing a gaming platform codenamed “NX” with a brand-new concept,” the company explained in its report. “NX will be launched in March 2017 globally.”

Nintendo is really going to bet the farm on a gimmick aren't they?

#Nintendoisdoomedforrealthistime

I am probably missing something., but with Zelda out of the way, what are the Wii U title for the rest of this year... ?
For 1st party shit there'sTokyo Mirage Theory and Color Splash are the only big ones. But we've heard nothing new about Pikmin 4 and Project Giant Robot.

Just for those guys, who think that the media will ignore a NX event, this is Bild reporting about the stuff from today. http://www.bild.de/spiele/spiele-ne...endo-nx-konsole-maerz-2017-45552578.bild.html

So, i think an event should really get enough attention.

E: Funnily, they even talk about the "double the PS4" power rumors from a couple of weeks ago. No, they are not a valid source, don't even ask.

Disclaimer: Bild-"Zeitung" is the german equivalent of tabloid like The Sun. And it's of course, around the same level of quality, so low to none. But it (sadly) has a huge presence with the masses.

Majukun

doesn't this new info basically invalidate all those rumors of the last few days?nobody said anything about a 2017 release

Zedox

Yes. This means E3 will be a focus for games (as it should be) and not hardware. With MS rumored to have new hardware out next year as well (just because their hardware refresh seems to be coming in spring/April 2017), that leaves Sony (according to rumors) coming out with new hardware this year.

E3 will be very interesting indeed. I am excited. :)

Can't wait to see more Zelda! I need Zelda in my life.

So they are basically buying time with Mobile/3DS at this point?

They clearly give no shits about holiday 2016 lol

Seems like a very Japanese focused move all around

Audioboxer

Yes. This means E3 will be a focus for games (as it should be) and not hardware. With MS rumored to have new hardware out next year as well (just because their hardware refresh seems to be coming in spring/April 2017), that leaves Sony (according to rumors) coming out with new hardware this year.

E3 will be very interesting indeed. I am excited. :)

Can't wait to see more Zelda! I need Zelda in my life.

Why not? Who makes that arbitrary rule? In the grand scheme of things it's still a huge event that gets a lot of hype/interest due to it's history. Some of the other gaming events still don't even get regular stage press events from each company. E3 has continued that every year, at least from Sony/MS.

For all of those saying E3 is becoming irrelevant, just to remind you that over 21 million people tuned in to watch what was happening throughout the week of E3 2015, and that's just on Twitch.

Let's stop pretending it's okay for a company who needs their next console to be a massive success to completely skip E3 this year. It's not.

This.

For all of those saying E3 is becoming irrelevant, just to remind you that over 21 million people tuned in to watch what was happening throughout the week of E3 2015, and that's just on Twitch.

Let's stop pretending it's okay for a company who needs their next console to be a massive success to completely skip E3 this year. It's not.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Bought a WiiU thinking we'd get a new Metroid... a new 3D Mario (a mario 64/galaxy continuation not 3D world) and a new Zelda.

We might get one of those things but only as it's available for the next console. What a fucking mess.

It's been said a billion times... and i'm going to say it too...

I REALLY wish Nintendo would just shut down the hardware and concentrate on making awesome games for PC/Xbox/PS. Imagine 1080p 60fps 3D Mario or Metroid on PC!!! Evolve Nintendo.

Do you really think that Nintendo could keep all their franchises going without the revenue they get from being a hardware maker?

How did that work out for SEGA?

imrs.php

Your point? If they do a NX event it'll be covered the same without sharing time with the other companies.

Ugh...I know other people care about Zelda but I couldn't give a care about it. Nintendo's conference was my most hyped until now...this is terrible. Why? If it releases in March then the publicity will have to be crazy due to the fact that there isn't another E3 in between...

amdb00mer

Anybody else feel like Nintendo planned to launch this holiday, but changed this after news of the PS4K and the Xbox1.5 surfaced? I think they were probably set on a holiday 2016 release, but then realized they would end up being the under-powered console yet again if they beat the PS4K and Xbox1.5 to market. I think they will wait until they have more concrete info on their competitors before we get full NX specs.

Wii U was revealed to much confusion that continued throughout most of it's life cycle. If they just release their next console with little to no information there leaves little opportunity for confusion. It's a solid plan.

Except the longer they leave their official announcement, the more likely it is that there will be a substantive leak from some third party, and the first impressions people have will be based on that rather than the carefully-choreographed announcement they doubtless have planned.

Nanashrew

Banned

Viewership. Now talk about no EA, Activision or Disney there and the continued drop in attendance which will make them less money to keep E3 going.

What will they begin doing then? Monetize E3 streams?

Totally called it back when the AMD stuff came out a few weeks back, i said .5's this year NX next :)

Its not surprising, as much as some people wish it was otherwise, they can't compete with Sony and Microsoft and all the other releases/hype in a holiday season, so makes sense they gets Q1 all to themselves and their new console.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Anybody else feel like Nintendo planned to launch this holiday, but changed this after news of the PS4K and the Xbox1.5 surfaced? I think they were probably set on a holiday 2016 release, but then realized they would end up being the under-powered console yet again if they beat the PS4K and Xbox1.5 to market. I think they will wait until they have more concrete info on their competitors before we get full NX specs.

It seems clear that they planned to launch in 2016, but I doubt they changed plans because of rival hardware. Most likely they simply have problems on the development side like they have done with all their consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom