• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

Anybody else feel like Nintendo planned to launch this holiday, but changed this after news of the PS4K and the Xbox1.5 surfaced? I think they were probably set on a holiday 2016 release, but then realized they would end up being the under-powered console yet again if they beat the PS4K and Xbox1.5 to market. I think they will wait until they have more concrete info on their competitors before we get full NX specs.

Those are still a PS4 and XB1 though. This is a new platform. Nintendo could easily go up against any revisions from the other two if they have confidence in NX, and it is actually a decent idea with a robust online network. If it's going all gungho on another controller gimmick though, then yeah, maybe Nintendo got the fear. That though should be a bigger sign for them and their obsession to try and reinvent controllers going forward.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Your point? If they do a NX event it'll be covered the same without sharing time with the other companies.

No way of knowing that, really. There's a difference between outlets covering an annual gaming event which is consistent in being where big announcements are made, and covering a nebulous single-company platform reveal which could be a Direct for all we know.

Given how we have literally no idea what they plan to do at all anymore for the reveal, you cannot say with certainty it will get the same sort of coverage it would've at E3.

Wow, Nintendo. Really?

If this isn't the result of some behind the scenes issue that is forcing them to not be ready for holiday 2016, then this company really is crazy. And for them not to even bring some tech demos to E3....

I just.... Wow.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Viewership. Now talk about no EA, Activision or Disney there and the continued drop in attendance which will make them less money to keep E3 going.

What will they begin doing then? Monetize E3 streams?

Out of the 3 you mentioned EA is the only one that would've been streamed, and they will have an event around E3 time anyway.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I really doubt the money spent on E3 has any significant bearing on their profits.

It was clearly enough bearing that they felt that skipping E3 would be worth it. Companies do things that match their strategy. If decreasing expenses is a big part of their strategy, then mobile becomes more important and conferences become less important. Nintendo's biggest issue is with marketing, and Kimishima is doing the opposite of trying to fix that. With mobile games, marketing can be cheaper. I guess that everyone was right and mobile really is the way to go for Nintendo. I guess I just have to accept it.

Viewership. Now talk about no EA, Activision or Disney there and the continued drop in attendance which will make them less money to keep E3 going.

What will they begin doing then? Monetize E3 streams?

The difference is that they're all strong brand names and they'll have events in June. Nintendo probably won't be holding an event until Fall.

Nanashrew

Banned
You must have missed the part where I said 21 million people tuned into E3 2015.

Again, how will E3 keep going with publishers dropping them and with attendance continuing to drop? How will they keep the money coming in? Scale down? Adapt? Monetize their Twitch stream?

E3 doesn't even have EA or Activision there this year. They biggest 3rd parties in this industry.

Audioboxer

I'm sure the millions who watched when the Wii U was revealed at E3 2011/2012 surely help the Wii U sell the 50 million consoles it's at today. Oh wait...

Having a huge platform to show something off to doesn't instantly mean sales if your product sucks*.

It gives you the potential, but you gotta bring the goods to translate into sales.

*Sorry Wii U owners, myself included, but the gamepad was shit, the console was underpowered, Nintendo online network is still ass and 3rd party support was non-existent.

prag16

Banned
Match 2017 isn't TOO shocking in a vacuum. But nothing at E3? E3 will just be the comparatively gimped Wii U version of Zelda (which isn't even launching this year) and very little else??

Totally 100% punting on holiday 2016???

-_-

Majukun

Anybody else feel like Nintendo planned to launch this holiday, but changed this after news of the PS4K and the Xbox1.5 surfaced? I think they were probably set on a holiday 2016 release, but then realized they would end up being the under-powered console yet again if they beat the PS4K and Xbox1.5 to market. I think they will wait until they have more concrete info on their competitors before we get full NX specs.

i don't think you can change specs that close to the release and don't expect some backlash..

Sevenfold

Yup.

i don't think you can change specs that close to the release and don't expect some backlash..

More likely to tie in with a big launch game imo.

That seals it. In a weird twist I won't be buying a PS4 when Uncharted comes out, and will probably buy the
pointless imho
PSNeonot4K to tide me over until my
not at all guaranteed
F-Zero
Please MFs
fix.

I wasn't sure of a 2016 date but not discussion about it at E3 is the real surprise for me. I was pretty sure they would come out firing on all cylinders.

I'm sure the millions who watched when the Wii U was revealed at E3 2011/2012 surely help the Wii U sell the 50 million consoles it's at today. Oh wait...

E3 doesn't magically make your product sell. Wii U was just a bad product. Why wouldn't you want to promote your product on the biggest consumer electronic show?

Tregard

Soothsayer

Millions of people watched them botch a console reveal. Just because you make your announcement at E3 doesn't mean it will sell, but it's still a guaranteed huge audience of people looking your way.

You're being obtuse. You're essentially saying that because Wii U bombed, Nintendo shouldn't try to give their next console as much exposure as possible. That's the opposite of what they should be doing.

Ryuuga

Banned
Except the longer they leave their official announcement, the more likely it is that there will be a substantive leak from some third party, and the first impressions people have will be based on that rather than the carefully-choreographed announcement they doubtless have planned.

While most of what I said was in jest, I'd argue that this is part of the reason they have kept information regarding NX close to their chest.

bachikarn

It was clearly enough bearing that they felt that skipping E3 would be worth it. Companies do things that match their strategy. If decreasing expenses is a big part of their strategy, then mobile becomes more important and conferences become less important. Nintendo's biggest issue is with marketing, and Kimishima is doing the opposite of trying to fix that. With mobile games, marketing can be cheaper. I guess that everyone was right and mobile really is the way to go for Nintendo. I guess I just have to accept it and make a decision.

I think mobile is a good space for Nintenfo, but I hope they don't eventually abandon making console games

Nanashrew

Banned
Out of the 3 you mentioned EA is the only one that would've been streamed, and they will have an event around E3 time anyway.

Yeah, they have their own event right? I imagine more will begin doing this in coming years. Could be around E3 time, maybe a tad later or a tad before. It will be interesting to see how it continues.

Audioboxer

What if they're just not ready to show it in June?

Then do what Sony did. They don't need to show anything physical, just announce it, the year it's coming, some conceptual ideas and what they're working on. Maybe harp on about how they're listening to devs and what not ~ That worked wonders for Sony... Unless they aren't listening to devs and are off in Nintendo land doing whatever the fuck they want because screw 3rd parties.

PooBone

Because it's a year from now. Why would they?
Get brand awareness out there? Build hype for a global launch? How long did we know about the Wii or "Revolution" bedore it came out?

Nintendos at an E3 with a new console on the horizon and they have ONE SINGLE game to talk about? AND they're citing quality as the reason for its delay! I hope like hell the bad gut feeling I have about this company is wrong.

Hah, no way. That's not like Nintendo at all.

The Flash

Banned
Very strange. Hopefully it's for the best though. For all the problems that the Wii U has it did reignite my love and appreciation for Nintendo's IPs. I want and hope that the NX does well so that we get more quality experiences like Splatoon and Mario Maker out of it.

Maybe i going to skip E3.

Will there even be a ndirect event for e3?

They have said more information about their E3 plans are on the way but there are three main things: No NX, Zelda is the main focus, and that will be the only playable game on the show floor. Nothing else has been said. So we might as well keep an eye out.

nekomix

I hope for them it is 2017 because of Polaris/14nm/MOAR POWA... It better be because I was dreaming of playing Zelda during my holidays...

Peterc

What if they're just not ready to show it in June?

I rather think it are summary of things:

- software not ready
- Worldwide release means large production, that takes time
- Will have something special, so they want to keep it secret as long a possible.

Hope we will get more info later by 3rd party dev leaks that working with the devkit.

Hoo-doo

Banned

My, it must be false-equivalency-day or something. Are you this dense on purpose?

Fact is, E3 is the biggest gaming event there is. Every gaming outlet is there in force, every non-gaming outlet is most likely there, there's hundreds of sites broadcasting every conference. All that press gets three days of writing editorials and previews, posting video footage and livestreams all focused on the games available on the show floor.

It's the biggest and most viewed marketing platform available.
Nintendo could reach a large audience with their own conference, absolutely. But it's not the same as blowing people away at E3 with millions watching, both press and fan alike.

Zedox

Why not? Who makes that arbitrary rule? In the grand scheme of things it's still a huge event that gets a lot of hype/interest due to it's history. Some of the other gaming events still don't even get regular stage press events from each company. E3 has continued that every year, at least from Sony/MS.

This.

Well, Nintendo saying that they won't show the NX and instead of on Zelda...that would lead me to believe that they won't show hardware and instead show software. I'm not saying that it's impossible for MS/Sony to not show off hardware and no one said it would make that a rule? E3's focus has always been software, hardware gets sprinkled in. Either way, i'm more excited about the games than the hardware right now.

H3xum

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Major E3 de-hype.

This might just be knee-jerk but man, it really seems like they don't get it. If you want some core gamers back, how can you not show it off at E3? The launch is what it is, but man.

Do you really think that Nintendo could keep all their franchises going without the revenue they get from being a hardware maker?

How did that work out for SEGA?

They honestly only have a few IPs that i'm really into so i dont much care about the others. Maybe keep the handhelds and produce major franchises for the "other 3". Not sure but the WiiU was garbage. Shame because their old IPs are stellar.

WalTech

I'm actually okay with this. I'm disappointed we won't hear anything soon, and I'd rather get my hands on an NX sooner rather than later, but there is some good news here.

First of all, we already know that devs have their hands on the dev kits for the NX, so that means they have AT LEAST a year to tinker and figure out how to get their ports and/or original games working properly, which means we'll probably see more and better games at launch from 3rd parties. That doesn't guarantee anything of course, but it does mean the opportunity is there.

Also, it means that we'll probably get more advanced hardware. Someone mentioned that this bodes well for the NX using Polaris architecture, and that's super exciting. A Nintendo console using actual contemporary hardware and a normal, scaleable architecture could mean great things, and that's exciting. The WiiU isn't exactly a powerhouse, and it has some very pretty games on it. Imagine what Nintendo could do with something comparable to the PSNeo, or even just the PS4.

I do get the disappointment over E3, though. I wanted something substantial about the NX by then, and only having one playable game is a bit strange. However, Nintendo has been distancing themselves from E3 for years, so I guess I shouldn't be SO surprised by that.

SuperSah

Banned
Saw some comments with people stating March 2017 may only be a date to satisfy investors as this fiscal year sucks otherwise, and there's a possibility it would release even later.

I can see this happening.

Nanashrew

Banned
Get brand awareness out there? Build hype for a global launch? How long did we know about the Wii or "Revolution" bedore it came out?

Nintendos at an E3 with a new console on the horizon and they have ONE SINGLE game to talk about? AND they're citing quality as the reason for its delay! I hope like hell the bad gut feeling I have about this company is wrong.

It was also within the Wii generation that Iwata created Nintendo Directs as the internet became more prevalent to getting information out faster and at times where things are ready to present.

Nintendo said to wait for more announcements at E3. All they said was Zelda was the only game playable. We don't know what they're doing with all their floors pace they still have.

EDIT: also Mochi said over Twitter just now that Nintendo will have another opportunity to talk about NX. Same as Nikkei. Sounds like it's getting its own event and you can imagine it will be streamed and press also will be there.

Nicktendo86

Because it's a year from now. Why would they?

Pretty sure they have always shown SOMETHING about their new hardware more than a year before release. Iwata brought a mock up of the wii console out of his pocket at the E3 before the controller was shown for example. It will be less then a year away when E3 rolls around, this is really strange.

MuchoMalo

Banned
This makes no sense to me...what will happen is NX will be at E3 2017 and release during the Holiday 2017.

NX is releasing in March 2017. Kimishima is completely out of touch and thinks that it's okay to just release any product whenever and that E3 doesn't matter at all.

dex3108

Yeah, they have their own event right? I imagine more will begin doing this in coming years. Could be around E3 time, maybe a tad later or a tad before. It will be interesting to see how it continues.

All companies have their show in theaters around the town and often they have demo stations around the town too. For years Ubisoft has Ubisoft Lounge for fans that is outside convention center. Point is that all companies are in L.A. at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom