• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McNum

The Zelda delay makes no sense if Zelda isn't on NX, and if Zelda is on NX it's basically useless for the "momentum carrier" status here.

Twilight Princess sold Wiis because people bought it for Wii, not because they bought it for Gamecube and had good memories.
Yeah sorry about that. I read the threads in opposite order.

I gotta wonder. Is Nintendo looking at E3 as just "The big Nintendo Direct" for the year at this point? They seem perfectly capable of annoucing new games and similar on their own. They can do things like "We're showing a Smash Bros trailer at this time, tune in if you want" and have thousands of people tune in just to see Robin and Lucina get confirmed. Does Nintendo know something we don't? Have they done the math of "Announced at E3" vs "Announced in a Direct" and deemed E3 not worth it? Tomodachi Life seems like the big example here.

Balb

I don't get the "at least Wii U will last another year" comments. Platform support isn't dropped exactly at new hardware's release date. Wii and 360 first party support died about a year BEFORE the next console came out, PS2 got freaking God of War 2 AFTER PS3 was out.

The Wii U is basically already dead and getting the trickle of products that were already in development that tend to come out after a successor happens. NX's exact release date doesn't change that it's basically Starfox, Color Splash, Fire emblem thing and a cross gen zelda to send off the Wii U.

I'm looking at it from the other way. I'm hoping that the NX not coming out this year means third party developers get more time to work on games.

javac

It's just weird that they have nothing to push for the holiday season (pending some kind of announcement at least).

On Wii U front that is true but I could see a few 3DS games including Sun and Moon of course. I could see a few localization on that side too, Youkai Watch or Monster Hunter or something?

If they're not ready to reveal NX this E3, they have no business launching it this fiscal year. I smell a redux of the half-baked 3DS launch coming... and even that platform had a good E3 2010 showing.

Oersted

Saw some comments with people stating March 2017 may only be a date to satisfy investors as this fiscal year sucks otherwise, and there's a possibility it would release even later.

I can see this happening.

Miitomo was supposed to launch at March 2016 and it literally launched at the last day of march at midnight in some regions lol

On Wii U front that is true but I could see a few 3DS games including Sun and Moon of course. I could see a few localization on that side too, Youkai Watch or Monster Hunter or something?

Price cut for 3DS.

I think a lot of people have thought this too (I'm one of them). Noshow at E3, no timeframe for when information will be coming, a highly coincidental "in March 2017" release date which just so happens to be at the very end of the FY....I can't see this thing coming out until November 2017 if I'm honest.

Well if that happens, good lord, i sure hope it will be very worth it then. It should definitely be on par or better than the new PS4 and better have some amazing launch titles. This would automatically mean no Zelda for more than a year and that would be downright pathetic. Holy shit.

Gator86

Having sold my WiiU a while ago, I feel absolutely vindicated right now. Time to go on pretending Nintendo doesn't exist for another year. The execs at Nintendo better pray that the NX gimmick lands after after several years of basically disappearing from the market.

NX delay and zelda wiiu simu launch pretty much confirms in my mind the nx will have some kind of touchscreen controller like the gamepad. This is bollocks to me as i 100% want nintendo to dump this method of control. Cant seem them avoiding this interface for a game born on wiiu and then translated to NX. Unless...!

NX delay? How can a system that wasnt announced until today, be delayed?

The far bigger question is...if Zelda is the only thing at E3 Nintendo will present and NX wont be there...what will they do at GamesCom? IT would have beenthe perfect oppurtunity to get people informed about the NX...

Nanashrew

Banned
I love Nintendo. Look at my avatar, read my post history. I've never jumped on the Nintendoomed bandwagon, not for a second. Still not jumping on it.

That said, I can't help but think their business side is made of a bunch of crazy people. I honestly can't believe what I'm reading, they have no clue anymore about anything they're doing.

There will be terrible droughts once again, their home console has been dead in the water for a while and will stop production before the new one is even out. Zelda has been delayed yet another time after the ridiculous, doubled down, 2015 claim and after Aonuma took it upon himself to shorten the gap between main releases.

2016 line-up is all kinds of ridiculous, and they basically implied they won't announce any new game for the year, seeing as Zelda will be the only thing on the showfloor.

They decided not to show even a snippet of their new system fans are clamoring to hear about. Is it because the hardware and software isn't optimal yet? Well, I'm sorry Nintendo but what should I say if not "it's only your fault". They know their situation better than anyone else, but they still keep effing up release dates and basic expectations.

They're totally losing me at the moment, which of course isn't a big deal, but seeing as I'm very passionate and affectionate fan, my guess is that there are thousands like me or less invested as of now, if not more.

They're hemorraging goodwill.

I'm sorry if this goes too far into ovverreaction territory, but I've been with them since I was 3 years old, playing Super Mario Bros., I'm just costernated with their decisions. Hope everything will turn out well in the end.

Well if anything their business end is changing now finally. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1212205

Their modernizing and using a western organization structure and going to give their board of directors say. This could even be Kimishima's doing for all I know since he knows the west more than anyone at NCL. Also means a less insular Nintendo.

Maebe

One playable game and no NX at E3 is just terrible. I was really expecting them to go all out this year after the wii u disaster.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Confused about the E3 comment. Isn't Zelda being developed for the NX and won't they likely be showing it running on that hardware?

Likely, but awful. The wiiu has sold like shit and there's been awful droughts broken up by mediocre games.

The Xbox and ps4 are going to come out with upgrades while the NX sits in the shadows until 2017. Have fun sliding into that pit of irrelevance Nintendo.

It hasn't yet been confirmed that MS as well be coming with an upgrade though. And didn't the PS4K reports state early 2017 release?

rardk64

I guess I just don't understand what we're supposed to look forward to for the rest of the year. I care about pretty much none of the games coming as of yet, and what else is even coming to Wii U?

MuchoMalo

Banned
Saw some comments with people stating March 2017 may only be a date to satisfy investors as this fiscal year sucks otherwise, and there's a possibility it would release even later.

You can see them going an entire year without a console on the market?

Well... I guess you have a point. :/ This is gonna flop harder than Wii U as a result though. It probably also means that we won't even hear about it at all this year. I'm just gonna try to forget about it and focus on PC gaming instead.

If this thing isn't a powerhouse (matching NEO is the minimum), I don't want to see it at all.

WiiU version only at E3, one week later a Direct about NX Zelda.

AHAHAHAHAHA

No. September is the absolute earliest that NX is mentioned.

That's exciting news and all, but how do they plan a March 2017 launch and skip E3? And they miss the holidays as well? It make little sense to me.

I guess I just don't understand what we're supposed to look forward to for the rest of the year. I care about pretty much none of the games coming as of yet, and what else is even coming to Wii U?

Paper Mario and some new Nintendo selects?

Yeah Wii U is dead. 3DS still has enough to look forward too.

AGITΩ

I'm a bit disappointed. The E3 hype is virtually dead for me now. The NX info drought will go on longer. Missing the holiday market and launching potentially after a competitor launch? I can only only see a few positives to this.
They could be holding their cards because they haven't locked final specs. Kimishima doesn't want to launch his first console and its instantly outclassed by revisions on the current offerings.

Asd202

Yes that was my first thought as well. It's normal in Japanese VG industry to rush to meet the fiscal year deadline.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Well... I guess you have a point. :/ This is gonna flop harder than Wii U as a result though. It probably also means that we won't even hear about it at all this year. I'm just gonna try to forget about it and focus on PC gaming instead.

If this thing isn't a powerhouse (matching NEO is the minimum), I don't want to see it at all.

Why set yourself up for disappointment like that. Nintendo has nothing to gain by building a powerhouse of a console. You know this.

Teletraan1

Banned
If they supported their current system almost to the new system's detriment like Sony does it wouldn't be a huge issue. For me it seems like the last year has already been their typical software lull prior to releasing a new console. Another 11 months seems like a bit much. Please do not post lists of B-Tier Nintendo properties that are releasing and have released in the last year, I am talking the heart of their IP. When they don't release anything of relevance for years how do they build momentum for an upcoming product and why should consumers at large be interested? It is eerily similar to the Wii->WiiU transition and see how that turned out.

Is this some kind of nightmare alternate dimension

Holy shit

And people called me crazy because I said no way in hell it would launch in 2016 lol suckers

I thought it could theoretically be 2017, but there was no idea Nintendo would actually be dumb enough to throw away an entire year

Needless to say I shouldn't have underestimated them

Peterc

It's just because we are waiting so long on news. They told us also "no news in 2015".
We will talk about NX in 2016.

"But they actually meant at the END of 2016"

Thats why i'm a bit disappointed to not see any news at E3.

I even taked some days off specially for E3 to watch the Nx conference

MuchoMalo

Banned
The Zelda delay makes no sense if Zelda isn't on NX, and if Zelda is on NX it's basically useless for the "momentum carrier" status here.

Twilight Princess sold Wiis because people bought it for Wii, not because they bought it for Gamecube and had good memories.

FYI, they confirmed Zelda NX.

It's basically like last year with higher income if you read the papers. (because of mobile / digital business)

Axass

You could see them launching NX in 2017, not showing it at E3, delaying Zelda even further and having a single game representing the company at the biggest gaming event of the year?

Let's face it, we've entered the Twilight Zone. Any guess is good as of now, NX could just be a facade to hide the fact they're going all in on mobile and never release for what I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom