• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love my Wii U but its had no games I'm interested in since Splatoon.

This year it's just Zelda.

Nintendo are in a bad place right now.

Edit: Zelda is next year now?!?

Wow Nintendo are in a mess.

It's sort of a relief in that I have a huge gaming backlog I'm frantically working through and with nothing big this year for Nintendo it means I have quite a bit of time to finish everything else off before I can feel accomplished with my gaming collection.

But yes other than that it's very very odd and I'm wondering if this is a mistranslation or something. Maybe they just mean Zelda U/NX will be the only NX-bound game playable at E3? Or the only major new game we (technically) don't know that much about yet compared to the other upcoming 3DS games and Paper Mario U. If Sakurai hadn't already started on a new project unrelated to Smash I could almost see Nintendo trying to bribe him to do another few characters and stages to tide the Wii U owners they have left over while still making a buck off them.

A10Pilot

We had peak Nintendo a while back with the gameboy advance and DS. And despite it's shortcomings the WiiU was great for Nintendo games, it really was. Let's wait and see what they have before freaking out.

daakusedo

At least it will leak now, when it really get into the hands of developers, so we probably won't have to wait for the official reveal.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Could you guys decide? Are we surprised and shocked that NX misses holiday 2016, or are we saying it's going to be rushed on March 2017?

It just doesn't make sense to announce/launch a new flagship console in that time of the year. That's exactly why many people thought it was absolutely going to launch in 2016.

Is this some kind of nightmare alternate dimension

Holy shit

I thought it could theoretically be 2017, but there was no idea Nintendo would actually be dumb enough to throw away an entire year

Needless to say I shouldn't have underestimated them

Nintendo has been the undisputed king of bad news for damn near 3 generations now

Like I cant even...

All this talk about not even a March release. Isn't it pretty fucking bad if it doesn't release in March? I mean they just told their investors that the new system will be coming in March. Have console launches ever really been delayed anyway?

Elandyll

Banned
Guys, this thing is not coming in March.

I could bet right now that there will be no concrete news by the end of the year. They will just announce another delay, focus somewhat on mobile, release the first info on Jan/Feb, do the full blowout during E3 next year and release it November 2017.
This.

I'm really sorry for Nintendo and Zelda fans, but when it just so happens that March 2017 is the last month of their FY2016, I actually believe that both the NX and Zelda NX won't actually come out till fall/ Holiday 2017.

At least... that'll give the NX 2 good years before the (possible) arrival of the PS5 and the XBox win10 branded Htpc line (if that one doesn't come up beforehand, as it obviously would be a continously iterative model instead of having gen breaks)?

2016 is going to be a disaster financially for Nintendo, unless something comes up with Amiibo/ Pokemon in a huge way (Pokemon Go?).

Peltz

Well they did announce FE and Animal Crossing for mobile. I have no doubt in my mind a mobile AC game will be huge because the mobile market is Animal Crossing's largest market on 3DS.

Wait... WHAT!?

Edit: Wow. Animal Crossing on mobile will be amazing.

Markoman

Unbelievable...well, I'm going to say it "Nintendo is doomed"...now come at me.

WiiU is my last Nintendo console for sure and I will celebrate the day when Nintendo goes 3rd party. Hell, they would even struggle as a software only company.

All this talk about not even a March release. Isn't it pretty fucking bad if it doesn't release in March? I mean they just told their investors that the new system will be coming in March. Have console launches ever really been delayed anyway?
NX never got a 2016 launch date....

theecakee

That is really weird to not announce it at E3. By this timeline, they will never show the NX itself at E3 prior to it being out.

A delay back to Holiday 2017 is what I'm predicting, March 2017 just seems to weird of a time to release a console that you haven't even announced and will not announce at E3.

Balb

Unbelievable...well, I'm going to say it "Nintendo is doomed"...now come at me.

WiiU is my last Nintendo console for sure and I will celebrate the day when Nintendo goes 3rd party. Hell, they would even struggle as a software only company.

Nice.

Well we've also never had a release month for a console before we saw the console, so this one is a whole lot of firsts.

I'm OK with it out in March. Gives me time to reserve it and it'll be income tax season again. Gives the Neo and next box a chance for the holiday season as well.

z0m3le

Banned
Can someone please explain Nintendo strategy to me? Cause it seems that they're sending the NX out without any hype and buzz from any but their most devoted fanbase.

I see no attempt thus far to grab more casual gamers.

Sure. Hype Zelda, make it a big deal, if it is a great game, it should be something everyone will want to play anyways. Maybe they have something extra special here.

NX skipping E3 creates a spoiler effect for PS 4.5 and slim models of next gen consoles, this is how it works: June E3, PS 4.5 is shown off, Morphus is shown off, Microsoft shows off it's hype projects, they are talked about for a couple months, PS 4.5 is set to launch in October (my guess) and everyone is getting crazy that Nintendo still hasn't released news of NX, so there is a lot of hype when Nintendo announces their own event in September (what many just assume is Space World 2016)

NX Specs are "good" something that competes with current gen hardware, but what really is exciting is all the games that Nintendo is announcing for NX at this Space World event, stuff coming before E3 2017, or directly in the tiny launch window, probably a new Mario Kart, Pikmin 4, Smash 4 NX (maybe new characters/levels), some unannounced projects (Animal Crossing NX), Luigi's Mansion 3 possibly shown off here. This launch avoids competition from a PS 4.5 launch and morphus.

I believe that the Handheld and Console are both part of the same platform, so both devices will launch next March, you are looking at 5 million+ in March/April, going into E3 with insane hype as they show off the next Xenoblade, Mario NX, Metroid, ect. I assume Wii U ports of Splatoon and Mario Maker fill in the summer and lead into the holidays with Mario NX and Retro's game.

Remember 3DS sold 15 million units in it's first year on the market with a pretty lack luster start and a high price. Wii U also did about 4 million in it's first 11 months on the market, so NX should actually have a pretty strong first year. Basically all the hype has shifted 4 months, rather than knowing this stuff at E3 with a holiday launch, we will know this stuff at the end of summer with an end of winter launch.

Buggy Loop

Ooof, no E3 unveilling is hugely disapointing.

Whats even on the conveyor belt for WiiU in 2016? This year will be their lowest income in years..decades even.

Why set yourself up for disappointment like that. Nintendo has nothing to gain by building a powerhouse of a console. You know this.

Why the hell are they even building another console anyway? Handhelds i get... but another console is the last thing the market needs (or really cares about in regards to Nintendo).

Balb

I'm OK with it out in March. Gives me time to reserve it and it'll be income tax season again. Gives the Neo and next box a chance for the holiday season as well.

Yeah, as long as they get the NX right, I don't care when it comes out. God I hope they get it right...

I can't believe I'm hearing what Nintendo's doing. They're seriously just letting the Wii U have the most unceremonious death this holiday unless they have something up their sleeve. I understand production of a new console/handheld takes time but it seemed like they needed it out this year more than anything and should have tried to do it no matter what.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sure. Hype Zelda, make it a big deal, if it is a great game, it should be something everyone will want to play anyways. Maybe they have something extra special here.

NX skipping E3 creates a spoiler effect for PS 4.5 and slim models of next gen consoles, this is how it works: June E3, PS 4.5 is shown off, Morphus is shown off, Microsoft shows off it's hype projects, they are talked about for a couple months, PS 4.5 is set to launch in October (my guess) and everyone is getting crazy that Nintendo still hasn't released news of NX, so there is a lot of hype when Nintendo announces their own event in September (what many just assume is Space World 2016)

NX Specs are "good" something that competes with current gen hardware, but what really is exciting is all the games that Nintendo is announcing for NX at this Space World event, stuff coming before E3 2017, or directly in the tiny launch window, probably a new Mario Kart, Pikmin 4, Smash 4 NX (maybe new characters/levels), some unannounced projects (Animal Crossing NX), Luigi's Mansion 3 possibly shown off here. This launch avoids competition from a PS 4.5 launch and morphus.

I believe that the Handheld and Console are both part of the same platform, so both devices will launch next March, you are looking at 5 million+ in March/April, going into E3 with insane hype as they show off the next Xenoblade, Mario NX, Metroid, ect. I assume Wii U ports of Splatoon and Mario Maker fill in the summer and lead into the holidays with Mario NX and Retro's game.

Remember 3DS sold 15 million units in it's first year on the market with a pretty lack luster start and a high price. Wii U also did about 4 million in it's first 11 months on the market, so NX should actually have a pretty strong first year. Basically all the hype has shifted 4 months, rather than knowing this stuff at E3 with a holiday launch, we will know this stuff at the end of summer with an end of winter launch.

Lol, I guess some people never change. Good for you on staying positive, I guess.

KingBroly

Banned

The problem with NX shifting 4 months is it misses those holiday titles and could easily miss more around the time it releases as well as down the line.

What the hell is this

lol debunked on twitter in minutes

Still.... I have to believe that they WANTED to have more for 2016

Im guessing they are making up the lost revenue elsewhere

Between 3DS, Amiibo, and Mobile infusions of cash... I bet they can literally afford to wait

Why set yourself up for disappointment like that. Nintendo has nothing to gain by building a powerhouse of a console. You know this.

Third party support? The baseline is Xbone anyways, but by the time NX launches it'll be nearly 3.5 years old. I don't see how being behind technologically on purpose benefits Nintendo in any way. They can't keep repeating the same mistakes.

They really have no, fucking idea what they are doing.

I give them five more years, tops.

I completely agree, if not sooner. I know fanboys love to go on about Nintendo's profits (which have been losses 2 of the last 3 years, by the way, and big ones at that) and their warchest (which is taking HUGE hits, and likely will take another this year), but a company simply cannot stay profitable if they continue to fail in marketshare and mindshare as they do, and a company who has 3 years of straight massive losses is going to have to make a change in their business model, and I think in Nintendo's case, it's moving to a software only company. I think there will be calls for Kimishima to resign after this also.

Ecto311

Sounds fine to me I'll have tax returns by then for this year and able to get the decent version if there is some difference in packs. Unless it's dumb then no loss either it's almost summer and I can ignore it.

Rolodzeo

qsiTYVm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom