• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not really upset about it not releasing this year. I think it's critical that Nintendo actually gets this console right. And if it takes time to do it, then take that time. Once it's out there you're locked in and there isn't much you can do to change its destiny. Get it right from day 1 instead of having to try to fix things afterwards.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So nintendo continues to play it their own way.

So not even a "digital event"? I very much doubt this console will have anything to do with the "hardcore" gaming.

Yeah, they are making Zelda NX for a non-gaming console.

DOOOOOMMMMMMEEEEDDDDD

If anything this affirms, to me, that it's a mobile phone like portable system designed for JP and Asian market sales rather than wide sales.

No way they'd skip the biggest marketing platform in the industry if it wasn't just something like that.

Brilliant.

Oh Nintendo, never learning from past mistakes or others successes.

Because there's nothing like a barren release schedule on hardware that wore out its welcome over a year a go to really get the market excited for a new product!

Lucifon

Well... That's disappointing :( that means another holiday with no zelda and no new console. Their E3 showing is going to be terrible considering how last years was when we all assumed they had the NX brewing for 2016.

Jigorath

Banned
Might be some problems with the hardware, or maybe they don't have anywhere near enough software ready. Either way, seems like a mess.

This is absolutely staggering to me. It really is.

How you don't bring hardware that is launching 8 months later to the biggest week of the year in gaming where the media will be there in full force is shocking.

If they´re not revealing NX at E3... when are they going to? Not TGS. Doubt gamescom.

January Direct 2017 to reveal NX. Write it down folks. 2 months before release.

Kaisos

You guys know that E3 goes ignored by the average consumer of video games, right? When Nintendo does their big NX blowout, news sites are going to report on it regardless of whether it shows up at E3 or not.

I want ACWiiU at this point, just to see a proper one in HD. I'd be happy if that was the holiday title, they can always release it on NX later.

Neoxon

Which is a horrible idea. Brand recognition and ease of use is a BIG THING in household gaming. Making it a brand name with 3-4 different iterative devices that you can get/need to get is an awful strategy.
Not really. Nintendo's big issue is supporting multiple platforms without causing software droughts. With the console & handheld sharing most of their games, you eliminate that issue.

Seems like it's something they feel their competition will potentially copy in the 9 months between E3 and release. Doesn't make the wait any easier though, and makes me wonder why the hell it's taking them so long.

Are they serious? After all the speculation and rumors and theyr'e just gonna ignore it till next year? What the fuck Nintendo.

Honestly, if the console isn't ready, then they shouldn't rush to show it off with no games. We've seen what happens when they do that, and it's not good.

It's possible this is just the least bad option.

Theorymon

What the fuck is Nintendo thinking? I mean I get launching 2017, but having the NX sit out this E3 just seems foolish beyond comprehension...

is this the first time a major game platform was not shown off at the e3 before it was released?

what does that say about e3?

or is nintendo just insane?

I think it shows Nintendo doesn't give a rats arse about E3.

They'll show the NX using a Direct which is mind blowing to me as that will never reach the general masses.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Personally, I think it's smart to have a dual release with Zelda; however, one would have expected a late November release coinciding with the console launch that month. The software pipeline needs to be pristine or else Nintendo will encounter the same problem as they had with the 3DS release.

Guidance is poor for 2016-2017. They will ride the Pokemon wave it seems.

Miimoto is a flop. Hoping management speaks of their licensing ventures because for the moment, I'm not sure what to think of this.

AdanVC

They must have stuff to show at E3 then. Stuff they're reasonably confident in, confident enough to leave with no new consoles new, no hardware reveal, no playing Zelda till 2017. They're not gonna leave us fucking barren for another year and another holiday season. Right?

Of course they will. They did it last year with their shitty spin-off Animal Crossing and Mario Tennis games they will do it again as long as they make profit even if it's a minimum.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Well, one good thing about this is that they now have more time to get third parties on board and ready to start developing for the NX.

The bad thing is - how to fill up the rest of the year with games for WiiU. Just Zelda alone won't cut it.

NeOak

Pretty much Nintendo rinding out the Wii U's last year the same way they rode the Wii's last year.

Like shit.

Well, one good thing about this is that they now have more time to get third parties on board and ready to start developing for the NX.

The bad thing is - how to fill up the rest of the year with games for WiiU. Just Zelda alone won't cut it.

Zelda is 2017 now too lol

MilkBeard

f45.gif

This year's Nintendo Digital event is going to have a lot of Paper Mario , Zelda and Pokemon Sun and Moon then. I dont see them revealing big new games for 3DS and Wii U.

Maybe late localizations .

ChaosXVI

I was prepared for NX to not make it out this year. I thought THAT was the worst case scenario...but not being at E3...that's completely fucked! What are they doing?!

Alienous

If anything this affirms, to me, that it's a mobile phone like portable system designed for JP and Asian market sales rather than wide sales.

No way they'd skip the biggest marketing platform in the industry if it wasn't just something like that.

A phone that can play Zelda U.

leroidys

I'm dying at both 2015 AND 2016 essentially being pointless filler years

this company is a fucking joke

2015 was pretty good for me, with games like:

Splatoon
Mario Maker
Xenoblade X
Kirby
Yoshi

2016 is dire though. A rushed (but still enjoyable) starfox and ???? TP HD I guess?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If March 2017, then no E3 makes sense - too much distance between the two. Have a dedicated event a little later in the year and then a blowout with launch details in January.

If this is now coming next March, does that change what you expect to be delivered? Home console only, or both home and portable?

Could we be waiting until late 2017 for the handheld?

Boss Mog

Guaranteed flop launch if true. At least in America. If you want a successful launch in America you gotta release it during the holiday shopping season, so it gets buzz from the media as the "hot ticket item" to buy for the holidays.

In March people don't spend money because they're still broke from the holidays and desperately waiting for their tax refund. So families aren't going to run out to buy their kids a new system then. Only diehard Nintendo fans and maybe some hardcore gamers will buy it at that time.

They're focusing on a game that won't even be out this year? Are they just washing their hands of 2016 all together? The lineup for this year is anemic, and it would be insane to announce a bunch of new titles for two platforms that are on life support (or already dead). Either that or we'll just get a smattering of junk like last year's bad Animal Crossing spinoffs.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Nintendo... Please... Just fire your entire marketing department. This is suicide and 100% guarantees that NX will flop out of the gate.

Maybe that's Kimishima's plan. Have NX flop to justify going 100% mobile. All that I can safely say is that he's the worst CEO the company has ever had. Calling it now: Nintendo will only release mobile games in 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom