• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

only zelda at e3 and a march 2017 release now makes me really super think either nx development was harder than they expected, or they did a last minute update to the platform that pushed the release date to the end of the fiscal year. they couldn't delay the nx beyond this fiscal year because of the last two building up to this one. so they're basically stuck. it's kind of what happened to the 3ds, but nintendo thought the 3ds would coast on by on it being the successor to the ds.

trev's leak made it sound like a 2016 launch was definitely happening due to marketing expenditures, and nintendo's forecasts for the wii u this year are under a million (i mean christ). so i wonder what's going on in the background. this looks like panic while their backs are against the wall.

El-Suave

Brilliant.

Oh Nintendo, never learning from past mistakes or others successes.

Because there's nothing like a barren release schedule on hardware that wore out its welcome over a year a go to really get the market excited for a new product!

True, but they would have bern in that situation anyway even if they launched late this year. What's more mind boggling is that they're skipping E3.

Asd202

Nintendo... Please... Just fire your entire marketing department. This is suicide and 100% guarantees that NX will flop out of the gate.

Maybe that's Kimishima's plan. Have NX flop to justify going 100% mobile. All that I can safely say is that he's the worst CEO the company has ever had. Calling it now: Nintendo will only release mobile games in 2018.

Just yesterday people were posting gifs of Kimishima and now he's the worst CEO. The salt is real :p.

Chinner

Banned
0/10

This meme stopped being funny a looooong time ago because it was so spammed.
Enter the Dragon Punch has shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Meme culture (I'm an expert), but cat pictures and trolls are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over on the Internet, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the interbet public, after hearing about this, is not going to read ETDP posts, nor will they retweet his Memes. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but ETDP has alienated an entire market with this move.

ETDP, publicly apologize and bring new memes to the Internet, or you can kiss your goodbye.

leroidys

Might be some problems with the hardware, or maybe they don't have anywhere near enough software ready. Either way, seems like a mess.

I'm betting on this being the primary factor. They want to redo the Wii launch and have a brand new Zelda with it, and a bunch of other shit. GC was delayed a year for lack of software.

SJRB

Gold Member
CKd2tRi.gif

Nintendo is the guy staying behind in the wreckage.

Ryoku

Dang. It's a megaton thread, alright.

As I said in the conference thread, this will allow Nintendo polish up software for holiday 2017 as well as the hardware itself :p

redcrayon

Man, another year for Nintendo hardware to rot on the vine. I would hope that they're preparing the most unbelievable launch considering we're nearly a full year out and the lineups for Wii U and 3DS are both so desolate.
WiiU is, but I'm not sure about 3DS.

We've still got loads of localisations coming in Monster Hunter Generations, DQVII, DQVIII. There's Federation Force, Pokemon, the sequel to 999/VLR. Fire Emblem isnt even out in Europe yet. As far as unannounced stuff goes, id be very surprised if we didn't see Phoenix Wright VI or Monster Hunter Stories in one form or another either. Or Etrian Odyssey V and SMT Final:Apocalypse.

Makes me wonder what they'll focus on for WiiU at E3 though. Outside of Zelda they have, what, Paper Mario and an indie sizzle reel?

KrawlMan

DerZuhälter;202001023 said:
It's a smart move.
Nintendo should do an own event and reveal it that way. The danger of being drowned out by PS Neo and whatever MicroSoft might be doing could hamper the excitement for NX.

The masochistic Nintendo fan in me wants to believe they just plan on having their own Direct not associated with E3...yet around/before E3.

If I'm being honest you do have to question what exactly Nintendo's strategy is here.

Launching in March 2017, ok I can see that. Your hardware and software pipeline wont' be ready to go until then. Alright just focus on building up hype that way you can explode out the gate with a nice launch.......

....No E3. Instead focusing on Zelda......which is a 2017 game.

Goodness their 2016 is going to be absolutely brutal. I'm not sure how you can see it any other way. Other than Mobile. They may make up some significant ground in the mobile space. But if you are a console Nintendo fan....hoo boy

Tagg9

I really don't understand the logic behind focusing on Zelda at E3 instead of the NX. Both of them are going to be releasing at the same time, right? And I suspect that the footage they'll show will be from the superior NX version.

Holy shit i really did not see that coming. When i read things like brand new concept..... i don't know man, but we'll see.

Any chances of the reason of all this could be Sony's new plans? Not that i necessarily believe Nintendo is aiming for the most powerful hardware, but still. I guess this is what Reggie meant when he said "we'll talk about NX next year." sigh.

Blobbers

Major Zelda focus is the silver lining here. I hope they go in depth about what kind of an open world it's gonna be.

I'm actually more excited about this year's E3 for Nintendo than last year.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
only zelda at e3 and a march 2017 release now makes me really super think either nx development was harder than they expected, or they did a last minute update to the platform that pushed the release date to the end of the fiscal year. they couldn't delay the nx beyond this fiscal year because of the last two building up to this one. so they're basically stuck. it's kind of what happened to the 3ds, but nintendo thought the 3ds would coast on by on it being the successor to the ds.

trev's leak made it sound like a 2016 launch was definitely happening due to marketing expenditures, and nintendo's forecasts for the wii u this year are under a million (i mean christ). so i wonder what's going on in the background. this looks like panic while their backs are against the wall.

Coupled with "Nintendo CEO pretty much admits that Miitomo isn't doing well in terms of generating revenue."

Nintendo will be riding Pokemon throughout FY16-17. Their guidance is poor too. I'll analyse the presentations & press releases more thoroughly in the morning, but not impressed for the moment.

Galava

If I'm being honest you do have to question what exactly Nintendo's strategy is here.

Launching in March 2017, ok I can see that. Your hardware and software pipeline wont' be ready to go until then. Alright just focus on building up hype that way you can explode out the gate with a nice launch.......

....No E3. Instead focusing on Zelda......which is a 2017 game.

Goodness their 2016 is going to be absolutely brutal. I'm not sure how you can see it any other way.

3DS line-up for 2016 is strong, but WiiU is dead unless they drop the price to 199.

Mr Swine

Banned
So I guess that AMD semi-custom win for 2017 was Nintendo after all? :/

So what are they going to do for the rest of the year and first quarter when 3DS and Wii U sales tank. Wii U is almost none existent in Japan and in the rest of the world

I really don't understand the logic behind focusing on Zelda at E3 instead of the NX. Both of them are going to be releasing at the same time, right? And I suspect that the footage they'll show will be from the superior NX version.

If it's not releasing until March, then it's safe to say that it's not really ready for primetime at this point and two months won't change that.

Alienous

There better be no E3 talk because you're starting tomorrow and will be out of things to talk about by then.

Otherwise good luck. E3 matters. It gets worldwide coverage. Sony seem to be having a big one. But good luck.

jonno394

Is there any point of Nintendo even going to e3 this year then? Focusing on zelda, a title that won't release until next year, and choosing not to show their new console which will likely come around the same time makes no sense imo

Nanashrew

Banned
Coupled with "Nintendo CEO pretty much admits that Miitomo isn't doing well in terms of generating revenue."

Nintendo will be riding Pokemon throughout FY16-17. Their guidance is poor too. I'll analyse the presentations & press releases more thoroughly in the morning, but not impressed for the moment.

Well, they just announced Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing mobile titles just now on their social media feeds.

Last minute platform update = caught wind of Sony possibly working on PS4K and blinked?

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
If they say that NX will not replace the Wii U, then are they in fact not ceasing production of the Wii U and seriously expect for it to carry them to the end of this generation?

When they say focusing on Zelda, does that literally mean 'only zelda U' or zelda in general? I wouldn't be surprised if we saw another link between worlds style sequel/remake, weren't they keen on doing it for links awakening at one point?

roytheone

I'm curious, is this the first major new console from one of the big three that will not show up during any E3 prior to launch? I can't think of it happening before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom