• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanashrew

Banned
That's great in itself but its the monetizing aspect & lack of hook to return to said game in the release of Miimoto will probably be apparent in those releases too. I'm skeptical

I have faith in Animal Crossing at least. It attracts many mobile users, so it being there, they'll catch even more of those users.

Incredible news. Glad I stayed awake.

I had said to prepare for the worst possible news as it's Nintendo. For me that was nx in 2017 and barren 2016 focussed on mobile. They did one better with the no nx at e3 news.

Nintendo - where even your worst case scenario isn't bad enough.

This E3 will be excruciating.

Actually this could be a chance for Sony to put a final nail into Nintendo's coffin with PS4.5 ( if they present it properly )

ultrazilla

66a.png

Parham

Banned
Why did Nintendo get so much booth space at E3 this year? Do they have enough software releasing this year to justify it?

Kevinroc

I honestly don't know what is going on at Nintendo. But I'm really curious as to what the hell their E3 show is gonna look like.

Ansatz

What are they going to do to fill an hour long show?

Retro last released a game in February 2014 and they usually announce their next project every 3 years so that means we should see it at E3 and perhaps it's a holiday 2016 title for the Wii U.

I'm not being optimistic, I'm just pointing out that this is a possibility.

Omikaru

The March 2017 date is disappointing, but not surprising. The fact they aren't even showing it at E3 is concerning.

Let's hope it's more that third parties want more time, and Nintendo wants them at the reveal, rather than Nintendo not being ready to show it.

They do when they're trying to sell new hardware of their own this fall if rumors are anything to go by.

Less competition is always welcomed.
Not so much that they would be jumping around happy. Anyway no matter what the NX is, launch buyers are always the core fanbase, of which there is little overlap between Nintendo and the others.

Hmm.

I was prepared for NX in 2017. I wanted 2016, but I knew that it might be 2017. The word globally, is interesting. But not even talking about it at E3? Are they just gonna pick a day and do a digital event? I understand they're transitioning to controlling their message entirely, but I can't help but suspect worse and worse.

Never count Nintendo out, but after a year of silence...there will further scheduled silence? Worse yet, Zelda doesn't even come out this year, so its not even a skyward sword swan song deal. The Wii u has been dying a slow death since 2015, and thus year the state is really not looking good at all. I dont know what I expected. As we all know, either Nintendo gets it really right or fucks it all up. This information drip seems to be the latter, but hopefully they know something we don't.

Outside Zelda and Pokemon , this E3 is going to be painful for Nintendo. hopefully they show more dragon quest, isnt like they have tons of games coming out for Wii U and 3DS.

sonto340

Called it. Knew 2016 was too soon.
That said March 2017 seems absurd.

I really think people overestimate how important e3 is. people pulling out should show how it's losing its relevance. The Internet is a thing, why not communicate directly to the Consumer?

More likely they'll have their own blowout event in the fall, when they finally have something to show.

But, unlike with Microsoft and Sony, there isn't the mainstream hype for NX, and besides that, Sony and Microsoft had their blowouts before E3 in order to use E3 to sell the systems to the masses (the reveals were more for the investors).

Their strategy isn't viable when they no longer have mind share to do ot, Nintendo is an afterthought right now, they need to rebuild their brand with this simply from a marketing standpoint, before even attempting to sell it.

Santar

So they are not going to show their new console which comes out march 2017 but will instead show Zelda which comes out sometime during 2017? Yep makes sense.
They better have some great localization announcements for E3 this year (I'm looking at you physical release of Great Ace Attorney).....

Retro last released a game in February 2014 and they usually announce their next project every 3 years so that means we should see it at E3 and perhaps it's a holiday 2016 title for the Wii U.

I'm not being optimistic, I'm just pointing out that this is a possibility.

It'd be stunning if Retro is working on a Wii U game. The sales of Tropical Freeze and the Wii U in general should've immediately signaled Nintendo to get them working on the Wii U's successor.

kevin1025

Banned
I don't think they will wait until fall to present the console.
But hey, I've been wrong before :p

I hope I'm wrong! But I'm getting the sneaking suspicion they aren't even close to ready for the NX. That March 2017 date could just be to appease the investors rather than a true release schedule.

But, unlike with Microsoft and Sony, there isn't the mainstream hype for NX, and besides that, Sony and Microsoft had their blowouts before E3 in order to use E3 to sell the systems to the masses (the reveals were more for the investors).

Their strategy isn't viable when they no longer have mind share to do ot, Nintendo is an afterthought right now, they need to rebuild their brand with this simply from a marketing standpoint, before even attempting to sell it.

I agree with you there!

DerZuhälter;202001023 said:
It's a smart move.
Nintendo should do an own event and reveal it that way. The danger of being drowned out by PS Neo and whatever MicroSoft might be doing could hamper the excitement for NX.

It's a console, not a game. The NX needs a much broader audience than the Wii-U had to be successful. Directs don't even routinely reach the entire Wii-U audience.

It's also bad show for their retail partners, who are already going to be lukewarm on the thing given the problems they had with Wii-U overstock in most regions, and the fact that Nintendo hardware in general doesn't tend to sell as well in summer months. This could contribute to problems getting shelf space, which is already likely to be at a premium thanks to Neo and all the VR widgets.

El-Suave

I'm sure everyone is gonna be hyped to play new cod and madden in March.

To play devil's advocate - people would have gotten those specific games on other systems anyway because their friends are there. If you'd take those sales as indicators NX in 2016 would have been a guaranteed bomb. This way NX could already have an install base for next year's premieres of those games and third parties have time to release proper versions.

Griss

There are silver linings here, though.

The lack of leaks was super worrying and has now been explained. The 'insiders' we had can now safely be ignored. Third parties can be brought board. And best of all there's now a solid chance it's a handheld or has a handheld SKU.

As for 2016, federation force to the rescue.

Kaisos

That subsequently got shared everywhere. Facebook. Twitter. Instagram. People I didn't even know that liked gaming were sharing that Gametrailers holy trinity meltdown - not ironically either. They got caught in the enthusiasm.

You mean the meltdown about the three games that won't be out until after the NX is?

Two great games in 2015 is nice, but 2016 is gonna be an absolute nightmare if they don't have a heavy-hitter for the Wii U this holiday.

Wait for E3. I doubt there won't be something.

trev's leak made it sound like a 2016 launch was definitely happening due to marketing expenditures

Parts of Trev's leak reeked of bullshit. Likely his source mixed in a bunch of false information to attempt to cover their trail.

benedictm

Banned
What's wrong with you all?

They will be launching in March 2017 to make sure it has a strong launch line up of games with from them and 3rd parties. Isn't that what we want? not the rushed launches of 3DS and WiiU with their poor launch line ups and barren release schedule after launch>?

Nintendo hopefully have learnt from previous mistakes. This is a good thing for everyone.

Ok, it launches 4 months later than expected (which btw i've been saying it would be 2017 for months but every time i dared say it I got shot down with 'but we KNOW its launching in 2016. Verified sources told us!')

Not at E3 is disappointing but they have been distancing themselves from E3 for the last few years. It does;t mean much t them anymore - the will have a launch event - you know like MS and Sony did with their new consoles.

Yes, its disappointing it sin;t launching until nest year. Yes, its disappointing it won't be at E3. Yes, the WiiU release schedule is pretty bare this year. But it would be far more disappointing for them to launch when they aren't quite ready, with poor software. That, my friends, would be the end of Nintendo.

also since all the rumours/leaks held up as gospel and truth by GAF i'd say maybe to get a few more grains of salt ready and have little think about whether it really is a home console and handheld bearing in mind that isn;t exactly a 'new concept'

Linkup

I avoided most of the NX hype/rumors having spent most of my time following VR. Not surprised at all that it is a year away. Zelda is good news for me though, NX it is then.

MLH

Nintendo CEO: "NX won't simply replace 3DS and WiiU"

They always say this, who are they bullshitting? NX will replace both, it's just a pointless safe statement to ease investors if NX tanks. Have some goddamn balls Nintendo!

dex3108

What I thought too. Sony didn't announce their system at E3, nor did MS. E3 is no long the place for big blowouts on some stuff as many have their own ways to get their information out when they feel ready.

Both Sony and MS had big news blowout for PS4/X1 at E3. We saw pricing and how console looks like (for PS4) at E3 if i remember correctly.

What's wrong with you all?

They will be launching in March 2017 to make sure it has a strong launch line up of games with from them and 3rd parties. Isn't that what we want? not the rushed launches of 3DS and WiiU with their poor launch line ups and barren release schedule after launch>?

Nintendo hopefully have learnt from previous mistakes. This is a good thing for everyone.

Ok, it launches 4 months later than expected (which btw i've been saying it would be 2017 for months but every time i dared say it I got shot down with 'but we KNOW its launching in 2016. Verified sources told us!')

Not at E3 is disappointing but they have been distancing themselves from E3 for the last few years. It does;t mean much t them anymore - the will have a launch event - you know like MS and Sony did with their new consoles.

Yes, its disappointing it sin;t launching until nest year. Yes, its disappointing it won't be at E3. Yes, the WiiU release schedule is pretty bare this year. But it would be far more disappointing for them to launch when they aren't quite ready, with poor software. That, my friends, would be the end of Nintendo.

Holiday season is when huge amount of consoles are sold. If Sony launches PS4K this holiday and there is also PSVR people will spend money on that not on NX. Kids want presents for Christmas not in March so they will get what it is available at that time.

E3 is covered by mainstream outlets so if you want people to know that you are making new console you push that at E3. Not for example this fall when there is tons of other hardware available for purchase.

DJIzana

Actually this could be a chance for Sony to put a final nail into Nintendo's coffin with PS4.5 ( if they present it properly )

Sony winning E3 3 years running. When's the last time a company has taken E3 3 times in a row, consecutively?

This is another easy win for them. Nintendo will be Nintendo though and just not care. It'll be interesting to see what their stock will be like tomorrow (though it'll bounce back when NX DOES get announced).

Well, atleast there's still the 3DS with a new Kirby, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest 7 and 8 and Pokemon ofcourse.

Hope we're getting more Wii U select titles if there's nothing else coming besides Paper Mario. Give me Yoshi's Woolly World for €25.

Launching in March with a bunch of full-priced ports of games released everywhere else November the year before and a Zelda game that's on another platform your core fanbase already owns sounds like a winning strategy.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Are they really gonna center it around the inferior port of Zelda? Really?
Thats bad... They need show something to build up enthusiasm for the console and hype. What, are they gonna keep it under wraps until launch day?
EDIT: Its a good thing Poke hype is real this year or else I'd be doubting the Big N like I've never done before.

El_Chino

Not so much that they would be jumping around happy. Anyway no matter what the NX is, launch buyers are always the core fanbase, of which there is little overlap between Nintendo and the others.
A major console release in the spring? Surely it would be more successful in the fall.

marmoka

Banned
I guess that the non-official Neo confirmation and specs made Ninty upgrade the power of NX, and that's why it got delayed.

Still disappointed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom