• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess Nintendo doesn't have to share the spotlight with their competitors to do their console blow-out. They'll be doing a digital event anyway, so they can do it at any part of the year they want. Picking a time they don't have to fight for attention is not a bad call.

What is a bad call though is going to E3 yet again with little to nothing to show. If they're going to focus on Zelda, but don't want to talk about NX, it sounds like they're going to be showing off the WiiU version. Now that they've confirmed an NX version will come, the WiiU release is likely to be the least interesting version of that game. I hope they're not counting on Paper Mario Colour Splash or Metroid Prime: Federation Force to help carry them through E3.

Halabane

Launching at Pax East? :)

Few words but lots to digest (assuming this is all true). I think lots of people no longer look at E3 has much meaning for their bottom line. Fewer and fewer companies are even have booths. Having your own launch even means you control a lot more. Nintendo lead the way on that.

I wonder if the news of the upgrades to ps4 and xbone had anything to do with this? Wonder if the VR releases had anything to do with this? Maybe big N wanted to have their own space? All the other stuff will already be out.

Agree that their revenue is going to be hurting without some major titles. The zelda push is a bummer. Actually starting to wonder if the zelda title will make it to wii u at all.

we r living in strange video game industry times

StoopKid

Well, one good thing about this is that they now have more time to get third parties on board and ready to start developing for the NX.

The bad thing is - how to fill up the rest of the year with games for WiiU. Just Zelda alone won't cut it.

I'm sure everyone is gonna be hyped to play new cod and madden in March.

This all sounds just bad,
I'm tired,
and I'm going to sleep. I can only imagine how big this thread will be in the morning for all the disappointment. See you then, GAF.

I'm so confused. I'm fine with NX launching in March, but you're going to have to tell us something about it at some point if you're expecting any sort of enthusiasm for it.

This is because of the fake NX controller isn't it? Either that's what the actual controller was going to look like and they're revamping it from scratch or they're taking some of the damage control responses from here and using that to make the controller. Looking at you, gif of rising touch screen buttons.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
"So, we're here to talk about Zelda!" "Is that the NX version?" "No." "...Why are you even here?" - Nintendo's E3.

There better be no E3 talk because you're starting tomorrow and will be out of things to talk about by then.

Otherwise good luck. E3 matters. It gets worldwide coverage. Sony seem to be having a big one. But good luck.

I mean even last year Nintendo's "whole lot of nothing" conference still got at least SOME mind share.

JUST showing Zelda might be corporate suicide for them, they NEED to start taking mind share back from Sony and Microsoft before they can even think of regaining market share.

RedAssedApe

Banned
i'm glad i'm not really invested in nintendo anymore like some of the more hardcore fans. they continue to do weird things.

Xtars

Damn, Nintendo is so out of touch with gamers and consumers.

also not using the largest gaming event of the year to talk about a new platform.... *sigh*

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So they are focusing on Zelda but showing the WiiU version because there's no NX?

Sigh. Was hoping for a Zelda re reveal with amazing fidelity.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I'm curious, is this the first major new console from one of the big three that will not show up during any E3 prior to launch? I can't think of it happening before.

Unless you count the Saturn, which both launched in Japan a few months prior to E3 1995 and launched in the states DURING E3.

Jintor

They gotta have something to pump Wii U games for the rest of this year at E3, right? Or should I just write it off? Cos gott dang

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I told you guys NX wasn't coming out this year.

That fucking Zelda delay. Fuck you Nintendo.

I just think Nintendo thinks it's still 2006 and Facebook and social media, as well as the internet in general, are still in their nascence when in fact, that shit determines EVERYTHING about your success or failure now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
only zelda at e3 and a march 2017 release now makes me really super think either nx development was harder than they expected, or they did a last minute update to the platform that pushed the release date to the end of the fiscal year. they couldn't delay the nx beyond this fiscal year because of the last two building up to this one. so they're basically stuck. it's kind of what happened to the 3ds, but nintendo thought the 3ds would coast on by on it being the successor to the ds.

trev's leak made it sound like a 2016 launch was definitely happening due to marketing expenditures, and nintendo's forecasts for the wii u this year are under a million (i mean christ). so i wonder what's going on in the background. this looks like panic while their backs are against the wall.

Optimist: they were pushing the tech with hbm and 14nm and they can't quite get the yields so they have to delay a little bit. Going to be awesome though.

Pessimist: they're coming in hot and are hamstrung by previous announcements to release fiscal 2016 but there will be a big supply shortage and it'll only be a soft launch.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Well, they just announced Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing mobile titles just now on their social media feeds.

That's great in itself but its the monetizing aspect & lack of hook to return to said game in the release of Miimoto will probably be apparent in those releases too. I'm skeptical

Last minute platform update = caught wind of Sony possibly working on PS4K and blinked?

Or their custom Polaris chip wouldn't be ready.

Maybe they really wanted a worldwide launch.

Just as likely the games wouldn't be done in time. Games would need to be in alpha by now to meet a November launch.

terrible

Banned
I guess we'll find out how important E3 is in terms of marketing for a new console. What a weird experiment. Seems risky not to show the NX this year at E3 when they plan on releasing it before E3 2017.

//DEVIL//

so.. all nintendo will focus on one game ? what does even focusing on zelda mean ?

there is a team that is working on a zelda game.. we get it. we cant wait to play it.. what the fuck the others are doing ?

I hope the "Not at E3" thing is a misunderstanding and they just mean the the NX won't be at E3 but they will show NX games during their digital event.

I hope they're not counting on Paper Mario Colour Splash or Metroid Prime: Federation Force to help carry them through E3.

Well, not to be overly pessimistic there, but aparat from zelda being shown, I don't expect to see anything else at E3 this year.

Maybe, MAYBE we'll get a DQ VII release date. Who knows.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Wow, Nintendo is used to disappoing, but I think that today is the day when they actually buried their home division once and for all.

If March 2017, then no E3 makes sense - too much distance between the two. Have a dedicated event a little later in the year and then a blowout with launch details in January.

If this is now coming next March, does that change what you expect to be delivered? Home console only, or both home and portable?

Could we be waiting until late 2017 for the handheld?

I agree about no e3. Have an event in the last few months of the year, bring back Spaceworld!
I still expect the same thing, which is like they keep saying a game platform based on a brand new concept. It doesn't necessarily need a home version at all.

Well there goes any interest I had in this years Nintendo E3 conference.

I'm still interested in it just from a "What the fuck are they going to do" perspective. What could the possibly show? Zelda seems like the last ammo for the Wii U, and the 3DS is limping at this point. What are they going to do to fill an hour long show?

Griss

Incredible news. Glad I stayed awake.

I had said to prepare for the worst possible news as it's Nintendo. For me that was nx in 2017 and barren 2016 focussed on mobile. They did one better with the no nx at e3 news.

Nintendo - where even your worst case scenario isn't bad enough.

This E3 will be excruciating.

Plasma

Banned
They're focusing on Zelda even though it's getting delayed into 2017 presumably so it can be a NX launch game, right ...

Optimist: they were pushing the tech with hbm and 14nm and they can't quite get the yields so they have to delay a little bit. Going to be awesome though.

I severely doubt we see HBM in a system coming from Nintendo. It's expensive and still has pretty crappy yield--I seriously doubt AMD would waste their favorable standing getting HBM Interposers on chips for Nintendo, they are using all capacity they have access to on Radeon GPU's to try and generate any revenue they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom