• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXOE Monthly Updates |OT| OS features for the pre-season, games for the Holidays!

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yea, Cortana is definitely coming soon, it was supposed to enter beta at the end of 2015.

psychotron

Just fix the video stuttering on TV, Netflix and most noticeably Vudu. It's annoying as hell and causes me to use my Roku stick for many things....though I do love that damn Roku stick lol.

Chris1

In November, we transformed Xbox One to make it the fastest and most social Xbox experience ever. We continue to evolve the Xbox experience based on your feedback and I’m excited to announce the first of a set of new features releasing in 2016. Rolling out to the Xbox One Preview audience starting today, and to Windows 10 PC & mobile Xbox Beta app members next week, are a host of updates. This month, we’re focused on continuing to improve social features to help you stay connected to the Xbox Live community across console and PC, while bringing these experiences closer together.

Brand new experiences and updates which will start to rollout to Xbox One Preview:

• See who’s in a Party: Xbox One Preview participants will be able to see who’s in a Party before joining. When you view the profile of a friend who is in a Party in the guide, you will now be able to see who else they’re playing with. Click the ‘Chat’ button which appears immediately below the user to jump in and see who is in the Party.

• Gamerscore Leaderboard: In Xbox One Preview, go to the Achievements section of your profile by clicking ‘View Achievements’ through the sign-in tab of the guide to check out the revived Gamerscore Leaderboard. Through the Gamerscore Leaderboard, see where you stand relative to your friends by comparing total gamerscore, as well as biggest gains over a rolling 30-day period. Click on the Gamerscore Leaderboard to see the full list of all your friends.

• Re-arrange Pins on Home and access them offline: Many of you have told us that you want Pins on your Xbox One Home to be easier to organize. In Preview, you will now be able to rearrange individual pins. We also made Pins accessible for launching when you are offline.

• Updating Activity Feed in Xbox One: Your activity feed in Xbox One Preview will inform you when there are new items in your feed. Clicking the link will take you to the top of your feed where you’ll see a run-down of the newest posts, so that you always have the freshest content at your fingertips.

• Joinable Twitch Broadcasts: You want it to be easier to watch your friend’s game broadcasts. In Preview, Game Hubs as well as the game tile will allow you to easily launch Twitch.tv broadcasts if friends are broadcasting.

• Improvements to Suggested Friends: Looking for people who you might know on Xbox or top content creators to follow? Check out the new Friend Suggestions area in Community and the Friends list in the Guide on Xbox One. Friend Suggestions include the gamertag, real name (if shared), gamerpic or Xbox Avatar image, and the reason the suggestion was made to you. Click through from the suggestion to view the member’s full profile and choose to grow your friends list.

• Hide games from ‘ready-to-install’ list: Fans asked that we re-enable the ability to hide content like betas, trials, games, and apps that they no longer want to install. Xbox One Preview members will be able to start using this feature again.

Updates coming to Xbox One Preview and the Xbox Beta app that make gaming on any platform better:

• Avatar Store: Equip your avatar with the latest avatar items in the newly-integrated ‘Avatar Store’. On the console, the Store is built right into the Xbox Avatars app and on Windows 10 PCs and phones, access the Store through the Xbox Avatars app. Get access to the entire catalog of new and oldie-but-goodie items, including free items. As you’re perusing catalogs, enjoy the ability to preview the items on your avatar real-time before you buy.

• Xbox News: Xbox News is a one-stop source for all the latest information about new hardware, console updates, game releases, tournaments like the Halo World Championship, breaking entertainment content, and more. This month, both Xbox Beta app and Xbox One Preview audiences will see Xbox News posts in their activity feed to make it easier to stay up to date on all things Xbox.

• Improvements to Trending: Across Xbox One Preview and Xbox Beta app experiences this month for console and Windows 10 PCs and phones, you’ll notice a new access point for Trending items to the right of the Community tab on your console and in the left menu area of the Xbox app. This gets you to a dedicated Trending landing page with the most popular topics across Xbox Live surfaced at the top followed by an inspirational assortment of top videos, screenshots, achievements, and more that members across the community have created or unlocked. Consider friending or following publishers of content that you like.

• Suggested friends: In both the Xbox One Preview and Xbox Beta app, we’re making it easier to get details on your suggested friends. Starting this month, if you click ‘see all’ or double tap on the shortlist of friend suggestions in any scenario, you will be pointed to a full-screen view of all suggested friends.

Across both Xbox One Preview and the Xbox Beta app, January brings the injection of Trending topics and friend suggestions into your activity feed.

• Compact mode for Xbox App: With this update to the Xbox Beta app, we’ve moved additional functions to compact mode which will enable you to quickly switch between your friends’ view, your party, messages and activity alerts. A quick click allows you to keep an eye on what your friends are up to, while multi-tasking on your Windows PC!

As we commence our first update of 2016, I want to thank you for your continued support. The Xbox community cast over 6.5 million votes on Xbox Feedback in 2015, contributing to our system updates. 2016 is shaping up to be an even bigger year for gamers and we’re looking forward to bringing you exciting updates to continually improve your gaming experience.

http://news.xbox.com/2016/01/19/xbo...review/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

etta

my hard graphic balls
Awww yiss, new update will hit today, probably around 9 PM EST?
Offline pins and hide-yo-shit features are awesome!

etta

my hard graphic balls
Looks like it's a great social update.
Certainly. I updated the OP with the images as well, and the achievement leaderboard looks pretty cool. Seeing who's in a party is obviously very useful as well. I like the Avatar store as well, I wonder if they added new stuff or just the stuff that already existed on the X360 store.

flkraven

Does anyone else agree that the entire Xbox Experience could be unilaterally improved 10 fold if they simply swap the functionality of 1 jewel button press with double tap?

1 press should pull up the left bar.

2 press should send you home.

I pull up the friends/party/messages/snap bar FAR more often than I need to go home from, so I am smashing the button double the times I'd like to. This is such a first world problem, but this would literally change my fucking life.

Synth

Does anyone else agree that the entire Xbox Experience could be unilaterally improved 10 fold if they simply swap the functionality of 1 jewel button press with double tap?

I pull up the friends/party/messages/snap bar FAR more often than I need to go home from, so I am smashing the button double the times I'd like to. This is such a first world problem, but this would literally change my fucking life.

Yes, definitely. At the very least they should make it an option.

lcd

Absolutely. If they're worried that people are used to the way it's worked since launch they could at least allow you to toggle the behaviour in the system settings.

Also, they need to fix the stuttering when using snapped HDMI input.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Absolutely. If they're worried that people are used to the way it's worked since launch they could at least allow you to toggle the behaviour in the system settings.

Also, they need to fix the stuttering when using snapped HDMI input.

I had the stuttering thing happen but it went away when I rebooted my PVR.

FZW

Absolutely disagree.

zou

New dash is still slow and overall garbage and nothing is happening.

If I could go back I would in an instant.

etta

my hard graphic balls
New dash is still slow and overall garbage and nothing is happening.

If I could go back I would in an instant.

Have you done any "clear cache" reboots lately (hold power button for 10 seconds, wait 15 seconds, and boot it up normally)?
Also, one thing you could try if you have your games on an external hard drive is to perform a factory reset, as this cleans up any leftovers from upgrading the OS.

mike4001_

If you are a heavy gamer and use the guide for everything => yes

If you game and use lots of apps and want to switch easily between them => no

Hah, agreed. Would also make the video/screenshot stuff a bit easier.

flkraven

If you are a heavy gamer and use the guide for everything => yes

If you game and use lots of apps and want to switch easily between them => no

The problem is that 1 simple back and forth through the messenger outdoes an entire week of app switching with regards to button presses.

double tap

A: hey, you on

double tap

B: yeah

A: want to play Destiny later?

double tap

B: sure, nightfall?
A: yeah. Have a third?

double tap

B: No
A: well fuck this, I'm not sending anymore messages bc I will break my fucking jewel button. fuck destiny, fuck messenger, fuck everything.

*logs off*

Offline pins, praise be Ybarra! Still some way to go to satisfy some of my needs (like fixing the sign-in process) but its a decent update to start the year with.

Not going to happen. Opening the guide over a game or app is a shortcut, going home is a core ux functionality. The double tap isn't exactly intuitive, there's no way they'd map something essential like going home to it.

Ideally, there would just be a button on the controller for each, hopefully something they consider for a future Xbox.

EvB

Excited for what's to come. The system has changed in so many ways since launch so I'm really interested to see where Microsoft goes from here. We know they have 2 projects in the works that they consider technically as difficult as the backwards compatibility addition so hopefully those make it through to us.

I reckon BC 360 games on PC....

etta

my hard graphic balls
I dunno, one of the two "something big" might be background music.
The other probably still for XBO.

Chris1

One is probably PC to Xbox One streaming and the other possibly OG Xbox BC or something

I think ybarra said they aren't working on that right now and it's still backwards compatibility anyways, I don't think I would count that as "as hard as back compatability".. because it literally is.

PC to Xbox One streaming is a good guess though, I think one will be family sharing, they've always said they still plan to do it and it's not exactly out of the picture as Steam has it but I'm not sure i'd call that "has hard as BC" unless it has disc family sharing or something, I guess that could be possible since whenever they bring up family sharing they've mentioned how it's tricky to do with discs and never completely ruled it out.

JaggedSac

I think, and hope, that one of those 2 things is the ability to stream games to a pc while also using applications on the Bone. Would allow my wife to watch Netflix or something in the main room while I can still play Bone games. Would make streaming actually useful to me.

RowdyReverb

https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/686243670547300352

CYYG-3oUQAA8rpO.jpg

I don't think the current version of game streaming allows full screen TV at the same time ? I guess it will be one of the new features of the February update. (*edit - or not, seems he was streaming from another Xbox, see below)
This is currently my most-wanted feature. I hope they implement it someday soon

mike4001_

I think, and hope, that one of those 2 things is the ability to stream games to a pc while also using applications on the Bone. Would allow my wife to watch Netflix or something in the main room while I can still play Bone games. Would make streaming actually useful to me.

This is not possible because if you use a game there are no free CPU ressources for the other application to run.

Currently applications go into a kind of sleep mode - they are preserved in RAM - but don´t use CPU/GPU ressources anymore, because they are not available anymore.

So don´t get your hopes up.

JaggedSac

This is not possible because if you use a game there are no free CPU ressources for the other application to run.

Currently applications go into a kind of sleep mode - they are preserved in RAM - but don´t use CPU/GPU ressources anymore, because they are not available anymore.

So don´t get your hopes up.

There are resources reserved. This is how snap works.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yea, the game won't use 100% resources.
It's doable, these are Microsoft software engineers after all.

JaggedSac

OK, good point.

But we have to assume that the snapped app really has 100% of the ressources as the fullscreen app has.

OK => changing my position from not possible to a maybe :D

;)

Yep, question is if they can squeeze the resources used by snapped apps to be able to run a full app. They had originally said that was the goal. Obviously that didn't happen though. It is highly unlikely, but I still hold out hope.

Alx

I had not seen that the new features were announced... lots of stuff, which is good, but not that many that I would use.
Hiding content ready to install and gamerscore ranking are welcome back (but why did they leave ?), and offline pins is great (it took its time !).
Xbox news sounds good in theory, but that mostly reminds me that the calendar wasn't a big success for me, I completely forgot about its existence.

It's an ok start for the new year, but the question still remains : where is Cortana ?

A build will flight at 6PM Pacific (roughly 50 minutes from this post).

----------------

Also, wondering about Cortana. I kind of assumed the plan was first update of 2016 as they said preview members would have it by the end of 2015. I guess you could assume this update is largely stuff that was pushed back from the launch of NXOE...

Bsigg12

I picked a bad time to update my Xbox One and PS4 as well as download Dark Cloud 2 and other updates on the PS4. My poor 20 Mbps connection is getting slaughtered.

Deets

If your console hasn’t downloaded and installed the update by 1:00AM PST 1/21/2016, you will be prompted to do so at that time.

DETAILS
OS version released: th2_xb_rel_1602.160114-1900
Available: 6:00PM PST 1/19 (2:00AM GMT 20/1)

CHANGES

Brand new experiences:

Xbox News: Both Xbox Beta app and the Xbox One Preview audiences will start to see Xbox News posts in their activity feed starting this month. Xbox News is your one-stop source for all things Xbox – the latest information about new hardware, console updates, game releases, tournaments like the Halo World Championships series, breaking entertainment content, and more! Stay up to date with Xbox through Xbox News.

Compact mode for Xbox App: Coming in February to all Xbox App users is the ability to enjoy a compact version of the full Xbox App. Since late last year, participants in the Xbox Beta app have been able to preview this feature which enables you to click a button in the upper left hand side of the Xbox Beta app to shrink the app to ‘compact mode’ – a lightweight view of the full Xbox App which allows you to do other things on your PC while still having quick access to top features like friends, parties, messages and notifications. While you’re in compact mode, you’ll continue to be able to view real-time friends list presence and activity updates. No need to hit refresh to see updates: when your friends engage in activities like sharing a game clip or start following a game, the interface will dynamically highlight these activities for you. Multi-tasking made easier on your Windows 10 PC!

Updating Activity Feed in Xbox One: Your activity feed in Xbox One Preview will dynamically refresh to inform you of the number of new items in your feed. Clicking the link will take you to the top of your feed where you’ll see a run-down of the newest posts, so that you always have the freshest content at your fingertips.

Sports in OneGuide: A dedicated Sports area is coming to OneGuide! Sports is consistently one of the most watched type of programming on Xbox One. Consistent with our goal with OneGuide of enabling you to spend less time searching and more time watching, we’ve created a single destination for you to browse Sports video content. Dive into live sports events and programming from both apps and your cable or set-top box provider in the Watch Now and Trending on Live TV sections. View the latest sports clips and highlights from our partners through App Channels.

Avatar Store: New year, new you! Equip your avatar with the latest avatar items in the newly-integrated Avatar Store. On the console, the Store is built right into the Xbox Avatars section and on Windows 10 PCs and phones, access the Store through the Xbox Avatars app. Get your ‘lifestyle’ and ‘gamestyle’ shopping on with access to the entire catalog of new (e.g. Forza Motorsports 6 items) and oldie-but-goodie items, including FREE items. As you’re perusing catalogs, enjoy the ability to preview the items on your avatar real-time before you buy.

Based on your feedback:

See who’s in the party: Back by popular demand and already in the Xbox App but now joining Xbox One, Preview participants can now see who’s in a party before joining. When you view the profile of a friend who is in a party in the Guide, you will now be able to see who else they’re partying it up with. Like who you see? Use the convenient Join party button which appears immediately below to jump in.

Gamerscore Leaderboard: In Xbox One Preview, navigate to the Achievements section of your profile to check out where you stand relative to your friends in the revived Gamerscore Leaderboard section. Gloat or moan over total gamerscore, as well as biggest gains in gamerscore over a rolling 30-day period.

Joinable Twitch Broadcasts: You want it to be easier to watch your friend’s game broadcasts. We’re delivering. In Preview game hubs, alongside the spotlight tile showing whether your friends are playing a game multiplayer, you’ll see a tile enabling you to easily launch their Twitch.tv broadcast if they are broadcasting.

Re-arrange Pins on Home and access them offline: Close to 3000 fans have told us that you want Pins on your Xbox One Home to be easier to organize. In Preview today, you can rearrange individual pins, using (A) to confirm a move and (B) to cancel it. While we were delivering this, we also made pins accessible for launching from offline, as long as you are signed in.

Hide games from ‘ready-to-install’ list: Another 1000 fans asked that we re-enable the ability to hide content like betas, trials, games, and apps that they no longer want to install. Today, Xbox One Preview members can start using this feature again.

We’ve been very busy – other improvements you may notice:

Improvements to Trending: Across Xbox One Preview and Xbox Beta app experiences this month for console and Windows 10 PC and phones, you’ll notice a new access point for Trending items. It is on the right side of the Community tab on your console and in the left menu area of the Xbox App. Click through and you will arrive at a dedicated Trending landing page, with the most popular topics across Xbox Live surfaced at the top followed by an inspirational assortment of top videos, screenshots, achievements, and more that members across the community have created or unlocked. Consider friending or following publishers of content that you like.

Improvements to Suggested Friends: Looking for people you might know on Xbox or top content creators to follow? Check out the new Friend Suggestions area in Community and the Friends list in the Guide on the Xbox One console. Friend Suggestions include the gamertag, real name (if shared), gamerpic or Xbox Avatar image, and the reason the suggestion was made to you. Click through from the suggestion to view their full profile and choose to follow to grow your friends list.

Across both Xbox One Preview and the Xbox Beta app, January brings the injection of both Trending topics and friends suggestions into your activity feed. If you click ‘see all’ or double tap on the shortlist of friend suggestions in any scenario, you will be pointed to a full-screen view of all suggested friends.

User interface updates to align the Xbox App with the New Xbox One Experience: We’ve made changes to the friends list, game hubs, and profiles within the Xbox App to provide more consistency across your gaming experience on Windows 10 devices and console.

KNOWN ISSUES
Live TV
With the console in Instant-On mode, after resuming from connected standby you may encounter a black screen when attempting to launch Live TV (this is more common when using a USB tuner). If you do encounter this issue, please immediately submit feedback from the console by holding down the Xbox button on the controller and selecting Report a problem from the power menu.

Workaround:

Temporarily disable Instant-On mode and enable Energy-Saving mode (you will not encounter this with the console in Energy-Saving mode).

Hard reset the console.

Bsigg12

How much do you pay for that connection?

I think $25 a month right now. They gave us some deal when they messed up and said we were supposed to be getting Gig internet in our neighborhood by the end of 2015 and things went south and now the that's the best we get until they figure something out I guess.

Re-arrange Pins on Home and access them offline: Close to 3000 fans have told us that you want Pins on your Xbox One Home to be easier to organize. In Preview today, you can rearrange individual pins, using (A) to confirm a move and (B) to cancel it. While we were delivering this, we also made pins accessible for launching from offline, as long as you are signed in.

I'm not seeing how to move the pins. Pressing start, the only options I see are "unpin" and "move to front".

Top Bottom