• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Schmitty

NYC GAF! Help me out!!

My girlfriend signed a lease last week for us and today asked a question about if he was going to install blinds. The landlord then went crazy and told us to come pick up our money on Monday as if he is breaking the lease.

Am I right in my thinking that I can still go and get the key? She signed the lease and you need mutual agreement to break a lease. What are my options here? Any help would be much appreciated.

NYC GAF! Help me out!!

My girlfriend signed a lease last week for us and today asked a question about if he was going to install blinds. The landlord then went crazy and told us to come pick up our money on Monday as if he is breaking the lease.

Am I right in my thinking that I can still go and get the key? She signed the lease and you need mutual agreement to break a lease. What are my options here? Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm sorry I couldn't help. I don't know much on this subject.

How'd it go? I hope it went well.

NYC GAF! Help me out!!

I'm pretty sure he can't do that. Check the forums at tenant.net, they're excellent for NYC landlord/ tenant law advice. However, having a hostile landlord could make for a miserable year. Are you sure you have the whole story from your girlfriend?

hello NYC gaffers! some tourist questions forthcoming, so bear with me....

fiancee and i plan on visiting nyc from oct 4-oct 9, and currently we're looking at the hilton garden inn's since they seem to be the only ones in NYC with both fridges and microwaves located inside room. yet which location would be better for tourist purposes? w 35 street , w 52nd street, or (my preference) 237 w 54th st? the 54th st location seems closet to midtown and central park, but i dont know.

our definite plans right now include catching either a broadway show (or off), times square, MoMart/Met, WTC, high line, Ukrainian village, and lots of shopping. and i'm guessing driving around the city to these locations in my gargantuan rented SUV is probably not the best idea?

also, whats the time frame for getting out of NYC, to say boston? i'm sure time of day matters, but we're wondering if a day trip to is a reasonable expectation. thanks for any pointers and your help!

Driving in Manhattan is never a good idea. Use the Subway. Please don't go to Times Square. New Yorkers don't go to Times Square so why should you? Replace that with the Bronx Zoo which is great unless you hate animals. I hope you don't hate animals.

As for Hotel location. Who cares. You should be taking the Subway so pick a hotel thats close to the most subway lines.

fiancee and i plan on visiting nyc from oct 4-oct 9, and currently we're looking at the hilton garden inn's since they seem to be the only ones in NYC with both fridges and microwaves located inside room. yet which location would be better for tourist purposes? w 35 street , w 52nd street, or (my preference) 237 w 54th st? the 54th st location seems closet to midtown and central park, but i dont know.

our definite plans right now include catching either a broadway show (or off), times square, MoMart/Met, WTC, high line, Ukrainian village, and lots of shopping. and i'm guessing driving around the city to these locations in my gargantuan rented SUV is probably not the best idea?

also, whats the time frame for getting out of NYC, to say boston? i'm sure time of day matters, but we're wondering if a day trip to is a reasonable expectation. thanks for any pointers and your help!
Howdy. I'd say the best option is to stay in a hotel away from heavily trafficked areas during rush hour (Penn Station, Port Authority, Times Square). 54th is probably your best option since like you said it's close to the park and lots of tourist attractions.

For easy tickets to Broadway shows the day of, you can check out the Tickets booth in Times Square for cheap tickets to shows. DEFINITELY go to the Met -- it has some of the most amazing art I've ever seen in it. MoMA, Times Square, WTC, the high line and Central Park are great bets too. I'd skip the Museum of Natural History -- there's not too much there. Also, the Bronx Zoo is incredible, and the Brooklyn Aquarium is too.

Also, don't go up to the top of the Empire State Building. If you want a great view, go to the 30 Rock viewing deck. Nicer view, cheaper and shorter lines. I'd also recommend walking around Chinatown and taking the subway out to Williamsburg in Brooklyn for a change of pace. The Staten Island Ferry also gives a good view of the Statue of Liberty, though then you have to go to Staten Island (don't go to Staten Island).

Unless you're well acquainted with driving in a big city, I'd say do not drive. Buy an unlimited weekly Metrocard and take the subway -- it will take you anywhere you want to go (within a few blocks, which are easily navigable). And if you need to get somewhere quick, you can always hail a cab in seconds.

Boston is probably 4 hours away by bus without traffic, maybe an hour shorter by Amtrak (though these are expensive, especially when booked last minute). Not sure it's worth heading up there for a day trip. NYC has so much to experience in terms of culture, food and history that it will take up all of your time.

Jhoan

It looks like you answered your own question. Each location is going to come with a bit of a trade-off. The 35th street location will mean that you're closer to the High Line/ Herald Square but at the same time, that week you guys are going to be in town is going to coincide with New York Comic Con so you might want to ask yourself if you guys really want to be sharing the same hotel as a crap ton of cosplayers and what have you who are all about partying. So my advice would be to stick your preferred place given that you'll be much closer to Central Park.

And yeah, getting around Manhattan in a car is going to be a royal pain in the ass so my advice would be to ditch the car and only use it if you guys plan on going to places in Queens/Brooklyn since the roads out there are more vehicle friendly and beats being in the subway for an hour.

As for your Boston question, I would say to give yourselves a 4 hour time cushion to factor in traffic. I say this from having taken a road trip to Boston with friends for two years in a row. Definitely do depart in the morning. Conversely, you can by Mega Bus or a Lucky Star bus tickets for about $25 if you don't want to drive (and parking sucks in Boston as well) but they pick up from Canal street or 34th street if my memory serves me right. Maybe you should save the Boston trip for another occasion since as awesome of a city as it is, I don't think something worth stressing over (sorry Boston GAF). Although I have to say, seeing the Boston Marathon memorial, taking the MBTA, and having the original Boston Cream pie were some of my highlights from this year's trip.

So I have a few things I wanted to say in general in this thread. If anyone is going to Waku-Waku NYC this weekend, yours truly will be working at that event both days. I'll be there all day both days; convention center on Saturday; HR department on Sunday. Working hard for the money bright and early so please send help. xD

The guest of interest that I'm particularly interested in is Keiji Inanfune who who will have a Might No. 9 panel and will be doing Autographing sessions. The aforementioned game will be playable. I'm hoping to get a few games signed.

Speaking of Brooklyn, was in Greenpoint last weekend for orientation and holy crap! I've never seen so many tattooed people and bearded dudes in my life! It's like Girls and Inked magazine came to life. The area looks like it's been gentrified to oblivion. It's a nice area that I would love to explore given that I didn't know that there was a pedestrian bridge that links to LIC so it's gotten me very curious to explore that area when I have free time. Still sucks that that Greenpoint is only accessible through the G train only.

And lastly, if you want more proof on how soul crushing our lovely city can be at times take a listen to this segment I heard earlier today on the Brian Lehrer Show from various outsiders' perspectives: http://www.wnyc.org/story/ny-transplants-city-everything-you-thought-it-would-be/

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I wouldn't split your time between NYC and Boston if you're going to be here less than a week. If you're really intent on a daytrip, Philadelphia is easier to do if you want to explore another city.

So I have a few things I wanted to say in general in this thread. If anyone is going to Waku-Waku NYC this weekend, yours truly will be working at that event both days. I'll be there all day both days; convention center on Saturday; HR department on Sunday. Working hard for the money bright and early so please send help. xD

I wanted to go (Escape the Room NYC has a scavenger hunt that I think my niece would've dug) but going to be out of town. Take pics if you can!

Jhoan

I wanted to go (Escape the Room NYC has a scavenger hunt that I think my niece would've dug) but going to be out of town. Take pics if you can!

Yup, that is definitely happening in addition to people submitting stuff for the Japanese artist who's going have sculptures at the park; the contributions are going to be used in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. And there's some kind of after party on Saturday at a bowling alley. My mirrorless camera is going to be down for another month or so until I can order a first party charger for it but definitely will be taking phone pics and use my mother's point and shoot camera whenever I can/have a break to eventually upload some in this thread.

It should be a fun weekend; one that should leave me with some new con work stories by the end of it be they good, bad, or ugly. I'm so not looking forward to getting up early in the morning to get to Greenpoint though since early morning trains are the worst.=/

beat

Also, don't go up to the top of the Empire State Building. If you want a great view, go to the 30 Rock viewing deck. Nicer view, cheaper and shorter lines.
I'm kicking myself for never having been to Top of the Rock, but I will say the ESB lines have been very short by 10:30 pm. Of course, it's 10:30 pm at that point. (and -- at least in the fall -- quite cold and windy up there, considerably more so than at street level.)

diffusionx

Gold Member
My SO and I are shopping around for a house. We actually started by focusing on Park Slope and Carroll Gardens, but like so many we drifted to Williamsburg. We found a nice one that seems to check all our boxes close to the Graham Ave stop. Anyway, we've spent some time in the area and like it - it has some nice bars and restaurants but is also much quieter than the Bedford Avenue. At the same time, it seems like a lot of money away from Bedford. I wonder if that's just how it goes in Brooklyn these days. Any thoughts? Anyone familiar with the area?

People have given you solid advice already but I just want to re-iterate that it's usually going to be about 4 hours to Boston if traffics good and about the same with the train. While technically it's possible to do a day trip to Boston you'd barely be able to see anything and there's so much to see there as a tourist. If I were you I'd either plan on taking more time in Boston or save it for another trip since there's going to be so much to do in New York anyways.

chris121580

Your city is amazing! I'm having the best time. We went to the comedy cellar and Hannibal burress surprised everyone and headlined. We also got Lou from mad men and Bobby from Louie. So fucking awesome and hilarious!

diffusionx

Gold Member
Your city is amazing! I'm having the best time. We went to the comedy cellar and Hannibal burress surprised everyone and headlined. We also got Lou from mad men and Bobby from Louie. So fucking awesome and hilarious!

Yea guys show up there all the time. Last time I went Michael Che (from SNL) made an appearance.

chris121580

Fiancé and I were having a debate today...it was really bothering me seeing people taking selfies at ground zero. She didn't mind it and said it shows that they don't forget. I just don't feel like that is a place for selfies. On the flip side, it's a beautiful memorial and I couldn't help but get emotional while being there.

Also I had the best breakfast I've ever had in my life at The Stand near Gramercy Park. It was also a bonus they had bottomless mimosas. This trip was fantastic and I'm sad to leave tomorrow. We finished our night with kinky boots, which was incredible, and then a petty cab home which was stupid expensive but it's something but of us have always wanted to do

GiJoccin

Guys

Best hikes around NYC?

Palisades Interstate Park has some cool stuff. How do I get there without a car? Any others?

rockefeller state park preserve has some nice trails and it's pretty close to NYC, i usually drive but i imagine it's not hard to reach via metronorth

breakneck ridge is pretty popular, it's mostly scrambling up rocks for much of the ascent

i like to go hiking in minnewaska state park, but you'd need a car for that, there's a pretty awesome hike to lake awostig where you can picnic and swim, and i've never seen it crowded (lake minnewaska gets crowded but that's since it's next to the parking lot)

Fiancé and I were having a debate today...it was really bothering me seeing people taking selfies at ground zero. She didn't mind it and said it shows that they don't forget. I just don't feel like that is a place for selfies. On the flip side, it's a beautiful memorial and I couldn't help but get emotional while being there.

I doubt people will call them out for not actually being at ground zero if they didn't have a selfie there. Its kind of narcissistic to me.

Jhoan

Pics from my weekend in Greenpoint/Waku-Waku NYC as promised (taken with a point and shoot digital camera):

tNO20tC.jpg

Ts23YJo.jpg

LcFZBVC.jpg

0LLcDXr.jpg

hBbCzGO.jpg

Sorry about the blurry quality in this pic:
QaFqnWB.jpg

gB2IH5V.jpg

mmakIxD.jpg

8wECKUG.jpg

VrrE0Pr.jpg

drPlBoL.jpg

leyWPJn.jpg
Strangely enough, I feel inspired to do a hipsters vs cosplayers illustration because in the end of the day that's exactly what it was given that I overheard some hipsters asking what Waku-Waku was lol.

The con itself was solid but the venues for panels and miscellaneous events were too spread out when it should have all been in one small radius. I can go on and on about inside baseball: convention edition but some other time. In the end of the day, as a new con, it had its share of problems (word of mouth, not catering to the hipster crowd as well as otakus, etc.) but I think it was a solid con to work at.

I'll be back to Greenpoint one of these days before the weather drops in temperature to go exploring more leisurely since I can't seem to get enough out of being among beards and fedoras. Also those brick buildings.

number47

besides the people. greenpoint/williamsburg is a beautiful area. park/waterfront option is bad ass. make it a day and take the water ferry down that whatever water flowing thing is.

So I'm moving to park slope soon and gaffer know good (cheaper) bars or hang outs?

My SO and I are shopping around for a house. We actually started by focusing on Park Slope and Carroll Gardens, but like so many we drifted to Williamsburg. We found a nice one that seems to check all our boxes close to the Graham Ave stop. Anyway, we've spent some time in the area and like it - it has some nice bars and restaurants but is also much quieter than the Bedford Avenue. At the same time, it seems like a lot of money away from Bedford. I wonder if that's just how it goes in Brooklyn these days. Any thoughts? Anyone familiar with the area?

I wish I could ever thing about looking for a home in those areas. I don't know if I'll ever stop renting..

rockefeller state park preserve has some nice trails and it's pretty close to NYC, i usually drive but i imagine it's not hard to reach via metronorth

breakneck ridge is pretty popular, it's mostly scrambling up rocks for much of the ascent

i like to go hiking in minnewaska state park, but you'd need a car for that, there's a pretty awesome hike to lake awostig where you can picnic and swim, and i've never seen it crowded (lake minnewaska gets crowded but that's since it's next to the parking lot)

Solid suggestions, I'll look into these. Thanks man!

Guys

Best hikes around NYC?

Palisades Interstate Park has some cool stuff. How do I get there without a car? Any others?

Cold Spring is a nice hike and super easy to get to-- Just take Metro North to Cold Spring and it's right there. It's maybe an hour out of Grand Central and there's a cute little main street with some good restaurants, coffee and a little bit of shopping. A friend and I went there Memorial Day weekend and it was an awesome day!

Jhoan

number47 said:
besides the people. greenpoint/williamsburg is a beautiful area. park/waterfront option is bad ass. make it a day and take the water ferry down that whatever water flowing thing is.
I heard it's a very underrated thing that tourists don't know about to take the ferry. I was at the East River but on the Williamsburg side last year to go to the now defunct Domino Sugar factory to see the Kara Walker exhibition. If anything, I'm intrigued to cross that Pulaski Walkway bridge into LIC.

So they're letting in traffic in TS again?

Terrible decision.
Found the original article for the interested with lots more in the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/22/a...mayor-de-blasio-over-times-square-plazas.html

It’s hard to grasp his calculus. One of Mr. de Blasio’s big initiatives, Vision Zero, aims to improve pedestrian safety. Ripping up the pedestrian plazas in Times Square, restoring cars and forcing millions of people to dodge traffic again, runs headlong into his own policy.

But reopening streets to traffic in Times Square won’t help. Congestion pricing would. The mayor has been silent on that critical issue. Digging up plazas won’t stop hustlers. But smarter policing might, with a unit assigned to monitor costumed swindlers. “I know which Iron Man, Hulk and Minnie Mouse are bad actors out there,” Mr. Tompkins said with a straight face. That’s because he’s keeping track, day in, day out.
Mr. de Blasio should be expanding the plaza program. What the city needs is serious thinking from the mayor about planning and public space.

What it’s getting is zero vision.

de Blasio's epiphany--- if this gets implemented---in a few months after seeing it fail:
And in other news, a CUNY professor was arrested for groping women in Times Square: http://gothamist.com/2015/08/31/cuny_prof_grope_arrest.php
Zumrut was first spotted early Saturday inside a pen that Revlon set up in the square where tourists can see themselves on a huge video screen, sources said.

One of the victims was 18 years old, the Post reports. Zumrut reportedly said, "I made a mistake."

On Rate My Professors, two reviewers say he's great, but add, "He is soft spoken, so move close!"
I have to admit, that a damn good joke by the Gothamist writer.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Not even entirely sure who voted for DeBlasio, he has been awful. Granted neither mayoral candidate was any good but I voted Lhota even as a registered Dem.

Keasar

Perfect thread to find, I'll be going to New York in 8 days to spend a short vacation there and was wondering about what to see and visit.

Been in NYC before once but it was sadly for just a day as I was visiting a relative quickly.

Not even entirely sure who voted for DeBlasio, he has been awful. Granted neither mayoral candidate was any good but I voted Lhota even as a registered Dem.

Joe Lhota didn't have enough pull I guess.

I also voted for Lhota.

I'm indifferent to the guy. My street in Flushing were just repaved and the potholes are going away. Obviously someone from our local council has pull, or this was a previous Bloomberg initiative he takes credit for.

Pics from my weekend in Greenpoint/Waku-Waku NYC as promised (taken with a point and shoot digital camera):

I'll be back to Greenpoint one of these days before the weather drops in temperature to go exploring more leisurely since I can't seem to get enough out of being among beards and fedoras. Also those brick buildings.

Ah shit, that looked like fun. I wish I had seen this. I would have went to check it out.

BTW, I still haven't seen a single bearded fedora wearer in the wild in Green Point. I should make this my national geographic adventure. Spotting a bearded fedora wearer in their natural habitat.

Jhoan

Hay my ny brothers
Welcome to the fantasy zone. We've got fun and games.
I voted for de Blasio being blinded by his liberal progressive promises which tickled the inner liberal Democrat in me.
Is there a Long Island Gaf or do L.I. Folks come out for the NYC Gaf excursions?
This thread encompasses Long Island as well that I mention it in the OP. Yes, GAF members from LI have come out to the city for the meet ups; see Mully (who's banned at the moment) for reference. He lives in Massapequa.
Ah shit, that looked like fun. I wish I had seen this. I would have went to check it out.

BTW, I still haven't seen a single bearded fedora wearer in the wild in Green Point. I should make this my national geographic adventure. Spotting a bearded fedora wearer in their natural habitat.
It's so damn easy to spot many during the day along Greenpoint Ave. as well as Kent ave. You want a good way to attract them like kittens to a bowl of food? Set up a street fair with really shitty art, wear a fedora and temporary tattoos, and have concealed bottles of wine plus plastic glasses ready to sell by the cup. They'll come in droves. Several types of cheese and techno music optional.

diffusionx

Gold Member

I think DeBlasio has been fine, outside of the homeless population spinning out of control, and then he blames Bloomberg for it.

Other than that I don't really know what he's done that has been so wrong...

santi_yo

I'm from Spain. Next week I'll travel to NYC for the first time in my life (It's actually my first time visiting the US) and it's like a dream come true. I'll spend a week there with my gf. Any tips? I love art and science, so I'm planning on visiting at least the MoMA, MET and the American Museum of Natural History. Which museums are the most interesting?

I know the city is full of things to do and see, but I'd appreciate any tips or recommendations (places, events, food, entertainment). Thanks ^^

Fake EDIT: Just read some interesting answers to a similar question, up in this page. Nice.

Oxn

I'm from Spain. Next week I'll travel to NYC for the first time in my life (It's actually my first time visiting the US) and it's like a dream come true. I'll spend a week there with my gf. Any tips? I love art and science, so I'm planning on visiting at least the MoMA, MET and the American Museum of Natural History. Which museums are the most interesting?

I know the city is full of things to do and see, but I'd appreciate any tips or recommendations (places, events, food, entertainment). Thanks ^^

Fake EDIT: Just read some interesting answers to a similar question, up in this page. Nice.

If you like Science go to the New York Hall of Science.

Pau

1) You don't have to pay the suggested amount for the MET and Museum of Natural History. Giving a quarter will still get you in.

2) Look up what exhibits you want to see before going. The MET and Museum of Natural History are HUGE. You will not be able to cover everything in one day.

Art is pretty subjective so it's hard to make recommendations. Can't really speak about MoMA since I'm not huge on modern art. (Plus you have to pay and it's expensive.) What kind of art are you into?

I definitely suggest seeing the Bernard Family Hall of North American Mammals in the Museum of Natural History. It's incredibly cool.

Jhoan

is kisaya back yet

She's gone baby, gone. The windy city has claimed her indefinitely but she'll be happy to know that she has fans.

@santi_yo Check the OP for all your needs. ;) Since you're here for a week, definitely go hit up some places in the outer boroughs; the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria and the Brooklyn Botanic Garden/the Brooklyn Museum of Art since they're both in the same vicinity. Society of Illustrators if you're into illustration art but it's a tiny museum/cafe of sorts.

santi_yo

If you like Science go to the New York Hall of Science.

Didn't know about that one, thanks!

1) You don't have to pay the suggested amount for the MET and Museum of Natural History. Giving a quarter will still get you in.

2) Look up what exhibits you want to see before going. The MET and Museum of Natural History are HUGE. You will not be able to cover everything in one day.

Art is pretty subjective so it's hard to make recommendations. Can't really speak about MoMA since I'm not huge on modern art. (Plus you have to pay and it's expensive.) What kind of art are you into?

I definitely suggest seeing the Bernard Family Hall of North American Mammals in the Museum of Natural History. It's incredibly cool.

Yes, art is one of the most subjective things haha. I've never been a huge fan of modern art but my gf is, so that's it
KuGsj.gif
. Thank you so much for the info. I'll start researching a bit about the MET exhibits.

btw and totally random: Broadway shows, yay or nay?

EDIT:

@santi_yo Check the OP for all your needs. ;) Since you're here for a week, definitely go hit up some places in the outer boroughs; the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria and the Brooklyn Botanic Garden/the Brooklyn Museum of Art since they're both in the same vicinity. Society of Illustrators if you're into illustration art but it's a tiny museum/cafe of sorts.

Oh, there's a Mad Men exhibition @ Museum of Moving Image, but ends a day before I get there :( What a shame. And I'm an illustrator myself, so thanks for that last recommendation!

So we're having a street fair in Fresh Pond this Thursday - Sunday. If you love Italian street fairs, come visit Ridgewood. The Q58 is also rerouted in that section.

Top Bottom