• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC Gaf, where to look for "under the table work"?

Hello fellow gaffers, so I've been living in the US for 3 years now, came here as a student, met the love of my life, got married and now I'm in my green card process. Now, as anyone who ever lived in NYC knows it's a pretty expensive city and even with a job it can be tough, let alone without a job, which is currently my situation. My OPT work permit expired a couple of months ago and I won't be getting a new work permit for another couple of months so I'm in dire need of an "off the books" job cause my wife can't (and quite honestly I don't want her to) take all of the financial burden of running a household. I worked at a restaurant run by people from my former country for two months, but I eventually had to quit because of incredibly bad management (and trust me, I really have thick skin, so it was really bad) and extremely low pay (but I was ready to suck it up since I'm in a desperate situation). I currently have one ticket running job on time square, but it's hardly cutting it, since I maybe get 9h a week in shifts, so I thought "fuck it" maybe one of you know where to look, every restaurant or small business I walked in denied me saying they don't do "off the books work" and craigslist is just littered with postmates ads. Any lead would be appreciated!

daveonezero

Banned
hmm lets see. I would start going to agonist/libertarian meetups. Philosophies that are in line with this sort of thing.

or what kind of skills do you have? you need to have something that you can do for others in exchange for other good or services as payment aka off the books.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I would try researching it online. I’m sure this has been discussed on Reddit or elsewhere.

Ubereats or deliveroo, if someone you trust works for them or used to, you might be able to take that on.

Bar work or waiter work if they can do cash in hand.

I would try researching it online. I’m sure this has been discussed on Reddit or elsewhere.
Will try my luck there too :D
Ubereats or deliveroo, if someone you trust works for them or used to, you might be able to take that on.

Bar work or waiter work if they can do cash in hand.
Gotcha, will look into it! Will try asking around again for bar work, since last time apparently no one is hiring cash only -_-

why dont you have an ead ? if your wife is a usc, you should have an ead in the interim.
It takes 6-8 months for the new ead to be issued, I'm still waiting on that and my advance parole document (which allows me to travel outside the US, and I really wanna visit my dad since he got diagnosed with cancer 4 months ago), so it's been a rough last couple of months...

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Kidnap people and sell their organs
Pays well but it is seasonal due to pesky cops

I mean try a gov job in the parks departmen

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The more you look the more you'll find. I think OP has to consider a regular paid job.

Winter John

Gold Member
It depends where your looking. Forget about Manhattan or anywhere central. There's so many inspections and cops around it's not worth the risk. If your looking for cash in hand restaurant work you got to head into the outer boroughs. Even there it'll probably be tough. Otherwise cruise the building sites and see if you can't get some simple labor work. Or yard work. That's usually a good one for some quick cash. Scrap metal is another easy one if you got transport. I once spent a summer stripping abandoned office blocks and managed to get by pretty well on that. Removals and house clearances is another area where you can get some decent money. The best thing to do is just grab a phone book and start cold calling some of these places.

The more you look the more you'll find. I think OP has to consider a regular paid job.
I am, once I get a work permit, until then I have to be off the books obviously :/

It depends where your looking. Forget about Manhattan or anywhere central. There's so many inspections and cops around it's not worth the risk. If your looking for cash in hand restaurant work you got to head into the outer boroughs. Even there it'll probably be tough. Otherwise cruise the building sites and see if you can't get some simple labor work. Or yard work. That's usually a good one for some quick cash. Scrap metal is another easy one if you got transport. I once spent a summer stripping abandoned office blocks and managed to get by pretty well on that. Removals and house clearances is another area where you can get some decent money. The best thing to do is just grab a phone book and start cold calling some of these places.

My last restaurant job was in Astoria and 90% of the staff was without papers, but the work environment was downright soul sucking (because we were all from the old country so they treated us like shit), I'll research again, maybe I'll find a place that will not want me put a noose around my neck :D Thanks for the cold call tip will definitely try that!

Top Bottom