• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC Restaurant Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

klee123

Heya GAF

My sister and brother in law will be visiting the US next month and will be in NYC for a few days. They wondering what good places are there to eat. They do plan for one of the evenings to dine in a high end restaurant.

Anyone from NY have any recommendations? They're open to any suggestions, but my sister in particular is really into Japanese food.

I think they'll be visiting Kat'z Deli too when they're there, since it's a type of food you can't get in Australia.

Anyhow, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

3e6eaa20a65d61997fff6009315d5ccd.jpg

BumRush

Sushi Nakazawa is run by one of Jiro's former apprentices. It's a bit pricey ($150-$200 per person with drinks) but it's excellent.

klee123

If you want to flush your money on "high end" NYC spots, go to Buddakan.

Where I take my people who visit me is

'Raj Mahal' (Indian spot in Manhattan)

'Gloria's Caribbean Cuisine' (West Indian spot in Brooklyn)

'The Place' (generic American spot) that has a great atmosphere.

And when it comes to Katz, it's incredibly overrated and overpriced.

klee123

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

My sister also mentioned if there are any good high end places with a dance floor. Can be any cuisine.

[Agent]ZeroNine;213800166 said:
And when it comes to Katz, it's incredibly overrated and overpriced.

That's a shame to hear, as NY is pretty much the only city to get fresh hot pastrami and corned beef. I'd imagine there are other places though....

Infinite

Sweet Chick is up the block from Katz deli. Good place. They specialize in chicken in waffles. Also check out Peaches in Brooklyn which is a soul food joint. Another Good soul food joint is Billies Black in Harlem

entremet

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

My sister also mentioned if there are any good high end places with a dance floor. Can be any cuisine.

That's a shame to hear, as NY is pretty much the only city to get fresh hot pastrami and corned beef. I'd imagine there are other places though....
Generally no. You may try Latin joints, but those are casual, not high end.

meow

Ramen: Ippudo, Totto, or Hide-chan
Izakaya Mew for a more fun Japanese place

High end I recommend the lunch tasting menu at Bouley, best value you'll get.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Totto Ramen
Yakitori Totto
Ivan Ramen
Okonomi (In Williamsburg. Great omakasi, but it's probably booked for next month.)
Go Go Curry (It's pretty budget, but their curry is pretty unique and addictive.)

BumRush mentioned Sushi Nakazawa. It's sublime, if you can get a rsvp. Note there's a dress code.

Then there's always Morimoto and Nobu.

Rainhas in Corona, Queens, is a great Brazilian Steakhouse, but a little pricey.

Junior's in Brooklyn makes awesome cheesecakes.

Martha's Country Bakery in Queens makes great baked goods all around.

Totto Ramen
Yakitori Totto
Ivan Ramen
Go Go Curry (It's pretty budget, but their curry is pretty unique and addictive.)

BumRush mentioned Sushi Nakazawa. It's sublime, if you can get a rsvp. Note there's a dress code.

Then there's always Morimoto and Nobu.

Totto is best ramen.

maxcriden

I think some of the best Neopolitan pizza in the country is at Motorino, and they have East Village and Brooklyn locations, so that would be my #1 recommendation. Also, I love the restaurants along Broadway in Astoria, around 32nd St. or so, so if you get into Astoria at all, I think you're bound to find some great food and culture there (like El Mariachi, a Mexican restaurant on Broadway there). Oh, and my favorite cart-style dim sum in Chinatown would be at Jin Fong, so if you like dim sum, definitely check that out (I think they only serve cart-style dim sum at certain times, I'd call them to find out when).

CHC

Robataya. Excellent Japanese, specializing in.... well, Robatayaki, which is Japanese grilling. Amazing, super fresh, clean simple food. They also have sushi and some other things if you want more typical "Japanese" staples but it's super fun to sit in front of the grill area and listen to them yell orders and serve you off of a 6 foot plank.

Sushi Yasuda. Very expensive, but one of the top places to go for a chef's choice sushi blowout.

For Italian food, I like Osteria Morini. It's in SoHo, beautiful pastas, very good cocktails and wine.

Caffe Storico, good place to go if you're near the museums, it's right next to the Museum of Natural History. Nice, light Italian food, beautiful dining room, menu changes constantly.

Oh yeah and Katz's Deli is definitely worth going to, also. It's a mess in terms of crowds, but the food is pretty good for deli fare and it's just a fun place to people watch and check out. One of the few touristy spots that I'd say IS worth going visiting. If they go there they should visit Morgenstern's Ice Cream after, too. Absolutely incredible ice cream spot not too far from Katz's.

And lastly they must eat at Shake Shack for lunch one day. The best fast food.

Junior's in Brooklyn makes awesome cheesecakes.
Juniors also has a location in Times Square, and if you need the absolute best "souvenir" to take back from NYc for your friends/family/co-workers, you could do a lot worse than their chocolate mousse cheesecake.
Langer's. Near downtown LA.
Not to be the repulsive type of New Yorker that creates arbitrary fueds with other cities, but I've been to Langer's and sure pretty great, but I gotta say...

Call Katz overpriced and incredibly kitschy, but that there's really no competition in terms of taste.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Sweet Chick is up the block from Katz deli. Good place. They specialize in chicken in waffles. Also check out Peaches in Brooklyn which is a soul food joint. Another Good soul food joint is Billies Black in Harlem

The fried chicken at Sweet Chick is fucking awful IMO.

Mu ramen is where its at. Totto is great too. Ippudo is slightly overrated. Also, get pizza in brooklyn at Julianas(don't go to Grimaldis)

TylerD

There is a great place that sells pizza by the slice... starts with ughhh, D I think. Anyone know that one?

fancimus

Heya GAF
My sister and brother in law will be visiting the US next month and will be in NYC for a few days. They wondering what good places are there to eat. They do plan for one of the evenings to dine in a high end restaurant.

What's your budget, OP? There are tons of great high-end options in NYC, but most will run you at least 100+/person, and far beyond.

Eleven Madison Park is excellent (top 5 in the world on San Pelligrino, 3* michelin, 4* NYT) but costs about 700+ for 2 people. If you want to do one ultra high-end meal here, this is the one, IMO.

EMP's chef also has another restaurant called The Nomad which is cheaper (I'd estimate about 325 for 2) and also quite nice. There's also Nomad Bar next door, which offers sophisticated bar food/cocktails that are influenced by the main restaurant.

I'd also recommend Betony on 57th street. It's run by EMP vets and has a great bar program as well, plus it's a lot easier to get a reservation there. I think their tasting menu starts around $100, so you're looking at 300ish for a couple.

Peltz

Any suggestions for a good vegetarian place? :)

Most recently, I went to the following and recommend them:

Candle 79 if you're looking for something upscale and special. The food here is downright unreal.

Red Bamboo if you're in the village and want cool more hipster place with great food.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
The fried chicken at Sweet Chick is fucking awful IMO.

It might be a location thing. I've had it at Williamsburg a few times and it's good, but it was pretty underwhelming at the LES location. Georgia Eastside BBQ has some decent fried chicken from what I remember.

Saraluna

Neo Member
Cinnamon Snail, Candle 79 and dirtcandy to name a few of my NYC favorites.

I gotta try that Superiority Burger.

These three are fantastic recommendations. Candle 79 is definitely the choice for a really nice, upscale vegetarian dinner with a classy setting. Dirt Candy is expensive, but provides some of the most creative combinations around. The cinnamon snail is more casual, food-court style eating inside the Pennsy - amazing vegan doughnuts and burgers.

One of my favorite vegetarian eateries downtown is Angelica Kitchen, which has daily specials and plentiful east-asian inspired food.

For fast food, there's the great falafel and toppings bar at Maoz and the delicious vegan to-go at Blossom Du Jour.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I was going to start rattling off ramen places too but I began to wonder, wouldn't Australia's proximity to Japan make ramen more or less accessible there? Or is the immigrant population negligible?

Some NYC "landmark" food places:
Halal Guys
Shake Shack

I'm very fond of La Sirene although I haven't been there in a while now. It's good for couples.

Cafe Mogador is a nice Moroccan place in East Village.

If they find themselves around K-town there's a lot of Korean home-cooking style places there. I liked BCD Tofu House (a chain) and Her Name is Han (a hipster joint). The NYC Bonchon branch (korean fried chicken) is around that area too.

If they ever end up in Flushing they need to go to Spicy and Tasty (Sichuan) and Nang Xiang Xiao Long Bao. X'ian Famous Foods (Shaanxi) has a lot of small stores in Manhattan now featuring Northwestern Chinese food (Chinese with Middle Eastern influences).

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Ramen: Ippudo, Totto, or Hide-chan
Izakaya Mew for a more fun Japanese place

High end I recommend the lunch tasting menu at Bouley, best value you'll get.
Veto on Ippudo, but Hide-chan is the best in the city.

Izakaya Mew is fantastic and cheap for the area. You need to try the yakisoba omelette. Good luck getting seats around dinner time though; the wait is usually 30+min (they don't take reservations).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom