• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nyko wants to sell you an intercooler, anticipates PS3 cooling problems

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
...so they're going to sell an external fan:

NYKO(R) BRINGS INTERCOOLER TO PLAYSTATION 3

Intercooler for PlayStation 3 to Keep Console Running at Optimal Conditions

LOS ANGELES – October 3, 2006 – Nyko Technologies(R), a premier peripherals manufacturer, announced that they will be releasing the Intercooler for Sony’s PlayStation(R)3 computer entertainment system this holiday season. This device easily connects to the PlayStation 3 using patent-pending technology that works with the systems power port and vent system. Once attached, the high-efficiency external fan placement dramatically increases internal air flow and allows the console to run at optimal temperature levels. The Intercooler for the PlayStation 3 will be available between $19.99 and $29.99 at major retailers.

“The Intercooler for the Xbox 360 is a hit with gamers and critics, providing piece of mind that their state-of-the-art next generation console is running at optimal performance levels,” said Chris Arbogast, Marketing Manager at Nyko Technologies. “We are confident that the Intercooler for the PlayStation 3 will deliver equally impressive results for consumers that demand the most from their console while protecting their investment.”

It's an investment alright.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
A company that makes a KILLING on "cooling solutions" claiming that the next big system will benefit from their product?

SHOCKING!!

Amir0x

Banned
SnakeXs said:
A company that makes a KILLING on "cooling solutions" claiming that the next big system will benefit from their product?

SHOCKING!!

i'm pretty sure PS3 will benefit from a cooling solution - even 360 suffers from overheating problems, and its power supply unit is on the outside.

Jim

Vieo said:
Doesn't 360 have 3rd party cooling solutions as well? (maybe not by the same company)

It's actually right in the original post... same product.

Thread title should be more like "Nyko HOPES for PS3 cooling problems".
I'm sure they'll be working on a Wii version, just for the hell of it, and people will actually buy it.

Vieo said:
Doesn't 360 have 3rd party cooling solutions as well? (maybe not by the same company)

I don't know and I doubt any of us ever will. I mean, it is there in the op but this is the cost of bolding. These companies never tell us anything.

PC's can overheat and they can have 20 fans in, sometimes its just bad luck.

Buying an external clip on fan can help relieve the thought of "oh snap if i play it too long it will melt the insides" so £10 might be worth it to some people. Also because of the internal psu there has to be some kind of warm heat constantly floating around that case.

more like I'm gonna have a hard time cooling my heart RIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT?

home.jpg

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
why don't companies invest in better cooling options? Its really not that expensive - you can get a really good, small quiet cooler for the pc for relatively cheap. Given how important temps are to cutting edge technology, it would seem to be an easy fix

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
koam said:
Does anyone expect the PS3 to not have these problems?
problems yeah, every console does (nintendo being the exception and not the rule). heating problems specifically? not so much.

Jim said:
Thread title should be more like "Nyko HOPES for PS3 cooling problems".
qft.

Squeak

Amir0x said:
i'm pretty sure PS3 will benefit from a cooling solution - even 360 suffers from overheating problems, and its power supply unit is on the outside.
What if, gasp! PS3s cooling solution is better than 360s?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Think about it. Would Nyko go to the trouble of designing, manufacturing and selling a PS3 fan if they didn't anticipate the PS3 would need it? 2 + 2 = 4.

Danthrax said:
Think about it. Would Nyko go to the trouble of designing, manufacturing and selling a PS3 fan if they didn't anticipate the PS3 would need it? 2 + 2 = 4.

Yes, most definitely. And besides, I somehow doubt they have their hands on any test units or official documentation to "anticipate" with.

VALIS

For anyone scoffing at these Nyko Intercoolers, buy one (they're only like $15) or borrow one from a friend or something. Play your 360 for half an hour without it then put your hand behind the unit and feel the warm air being pushed out. Then let it cool down and play your 360 for half an hour with the Intercooler attached and feel the ****ing massive gusts of hot air being pushed out!

On the box they list the temperatures at different spots inside the 360 with and without an Intercooler attached, about 10 degrees cooler per area, and I'm inclined to believe it. Will it save your system from doom? Of course not. But more and bigger fans ain't gonna hurt, either.

Dante

Danthrax said:

:lol You mean a company who's bread and butter is shoddy accesories?

Its thoughtfull of Nyko but really, what is the point? There are people who will undoubtably fail to suspend their PS3's and 360's in midair to avoid any accumulated heat but will come whining about "faulty hardware" the instant their console breaks.

Dahbomb

koam said:
Does anyone expect the PS3 to not have these problems?
That wasn't the point, the thread title should have made clear who/what Nyko is (more specifically their products).

Also what that other guy said about misleading topics... :D

Xenon

Uh oh...

http://www.cepro.com/news/editorial/15956.html

All seemed well and good for Sony when they showed the PlayStation 3 (PS3) at last week's Tokyo Game Show, with mostly positive reviews from those in attendance.

But a report from Macquarie Equities analyst David Gibson is causing worries, with descriptions of erratic behavior of display units, says the AP (via Washington Post).

Investors worried about the product after Macquarie Equities analyst David Gibson wrote in a report that PlayStation 3 units on display at the Tokyo Game Show about 10 days ago operated erratically and had to be repeatedly reset.

"While the reason for this is unknown, we suspect it may be due to overheating as a result of enclosing the units and the high temperatures at the venue," Gibson wrote in the report Monday. "We are concerned that such a problem has occurred so close to full production and is clearly negative news for the company."

The report caused Sony shares to drop nearly three percent yesterday.

5537.jpg

Danthrax said:

You mean like they anticipated the Neo Geo Pocket Color's need for a big external speaker that rumbled?

SO I assume that the PS3 will not have any overheating problems at all.

Boy I sure hope I'm right.

I'm buying a warranty anyway.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
why is the thread title misleading? It's no less misleading than all those "Immersion expects PS3 to be less cool without rumble" threads we used to have. It's basically the manufacturer of an external tool announcing that they expect their product will benefit the system at hand. I guess it's "misleading" if you don't know who Nyko is, that's why you educate yourself.

Given the fan, heatpipes, large casing and reduced transistor number of the PS3's Cell processor, I somehow doubt this will be necessary unless you put your PS3 in a small enclosed space with no ventilation. The one unknown is hot much the internal powersource will affect temperatures inside the case.

Might be good, but I doubt it is necessary.

Nerevar said:
why is the thread title misleading? It's no less misleading than all those "Immersion expects PS3 to be less cool without rumble" threads we used to have. It's basically the manufacturer of an external tool announcing that they expect their product will benefit the system at hand. I guess it's "misleading" if you don't know who Nyko is, that's why you educate yourself.

Because it's wishful thinking and nothing else and it's annoying. Nyko is not anticipating it's hoping for PS3 problems just like some xbox fans here obviously do ^.

FoxSpirit

Well, I recently was at a friends place and he has a 360. And lets say while playing Prey that thing became LOUD. At first I wondered at the strange sound until I noticed it's the 360's cooloing buzzing away.

So for a 360, a better cooling seems to be mandatory unless you game at really high sound levels. Those fans are really noisy :)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Nerevar said:

Damn Nyko employees infesting this place...

;)

Unless the PS3 uses liquid cooling then it too will more than likely have the same issues as the 360 in regards to heat. There's a lot of processing power in a relatively small box. Hopefully future revisions in the hardware of the PS3 and 360 will be more focused on thermal issues, and not size reduction. :)

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
FoxSpirit said:
Well, I recently was at a friends place and he has a 360. And lets say while playing Prey that thing became LOUD. At first I wondered at the strange sound until I noticed it's the 360's cooloing buzzing away.

So for a 360, a better cooling seems to be mandatory unless you game at really high sound levels. Those fans are really noisy :)

I'm pretty sure the loudest thing on the 360 is the 12x DVD drive. The BRD drives that Sony is using are supposedly a lot quieter, hence it should be a lot less noisy.

And everyone saying "OMG LOLZ XBOT FANBOY DAMAGE CONTROL" to my post, I wasn't agreeing with Nyko. I was just pointing out that the thread title wasn't misleading, as I'm sure Nyko anticipates many things that their products will help resolve. I'm sure first run PS3s will have their own share of problems (what modern console hasn't), but I doubt cooling will be one.

Nerevar said:
I'm pretty sure the loudest thing on the 360 is the 12x DVD drive. The BRD drives that Sony is using are supposedly a lot quieter, hence it should be a lot less noisy.

And everyone saying "OMG LOLZ XBOT FANBOY DAMAGE CONTROL" to my post, I wasn't agreeing with Nyko. I was just pointing out that the thread title wasn't misleading, as I'm sure Nyko anticipates many things that their products will help resolve. I'm sure first run PS3s will have their own share of problems (what modern console hasn't), but I doubt cooling will be one.

the Nyko cooler is what he was talking about I think, they are VERY loud. they sound like an airplane taking off, the 360 by itself isn't so bad. My intercooler got so loud I just took it off for good.

waxer

I think the sound depends on how old.My 360 is plane loud without a disk in the drive while sitting on a raised open wooden platform.
Has anyone actually had a 360 overheat or is this all asumptions based off sound and fan air temp.Its loud and hot so its gunna die worries?
Most deaths seem random and not heat related.
Basing ps3 needing cooling because the xbox is like a heater is a pointless comparison anyway.

Top Bottom