• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nyko wants to sell you an intercooler, anticipates PS3 cooling problems

Jim said:
It's actually right in the original post... same product.

Thread title should be more like "Nyko HOPES for PS3 cooling problems".
I'm sure they'll be working on a Wii version, just for the hell of it, and people will actually buy it.

PS3 is built on the same 90nm process as 360, has an extra heat source in the case (the PSU), and has more transistors overall. Yeah, it will benefit from extra cooling like 360.

Diablos

I'm definitely buying a 2 or 4 year replacement plan for the PS3.

It will be interesting to see what owners here have to say about PS3's heat when they get their hands on one.

Would it have been so bad to put a couple quiet 18-21dBa fans in there? As long as it's not as loud as PS2.

Yet another reason why I'm glad that I will be waiting a while.

Diablos said:
I'm definitely buying a 2 or 4 year replacement plan for the PS3.

It will be interesting to see what owners here have to say about PS3's heat when they get their hands on one.

Would it have been so bad to put a couple quiet 18-21dBa fans in there? As long as it's not as loud as PS2.

Yet another reason why I'm glad that I will be waiting a while.

4 year plan (which no one will probably offer) is rather pointless since by then, buying an outright replacement for a broken PS3 should be faily cheap.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I wonder if any companies will be offering to mod your PS3/360 for water colling solution to this over-heating issue.

I remember when news first got out of MS bringing out a new system water-cooling was rumoured to be considered as the 360 was suppose to be a beast...:D

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
fortified_concept said:
Because it's wishful thinking and nothing else and it's annoying. Nyko is not anticipating it's hoping for PS3 problems just like some xbox fans here obviously do ^.

It's not really wishful thinking, they're just getting ahead of themselves to a very very real possibility. You know I'd love to trust Sony's hardware liability and all but truth is I'm glad this cooler is gonna be available sooner than later. We'll see.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Shogmaster said:
4 year plan (which no one will probably offer) is rather pointless since by then, buying an outright replacement for a broken PS3 should be faily cheap.

It still wouldn't be as cheap as a 4 year plan though.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Shogmaster said:
True, but I still don't think you will be able to find a 4 year plan anyways.

True...

I think here in the UK the most is 3 years...but if word gets out that PS3's are rather fussy machines then it will surely be 1 year or if your lucky 2....:lol

F#A#Oo said:
True...

I think here in the UK the most is 3 years...but if word gets out that PS3's are rather fussy machines then it will surely be 1 year or if your lucky 2....:lol

Here in the States, it's mostly 2 years for consoles. Best Buy = 2yrs, EB/Game stop = 2 yrs etc.. I don't think 1 yr is an option, but that because before 360, they came with 1 yr warraties I think.

Shogmaster said:
PS3 is built on the same 90nm process as 360, has an extra heat source in the case (the PSU), and has more transistors overall. Yeah, it will benefit from extra cooling like 360.

But those parrallels are only part of the equation of whether a machine will "benefit from extra cooling", no? These aren't the same architectures, and they're not using the same exact power saving technologies, with the same exact case designs, with the same air flow, and the same heat pipes etc. etc.

You might end up being right, but you might be getting ahead of yourself thinking "extra cooling" is a lock to be of any necessity or benefit for the PS3. Not all manufacturers and configurations are made the same, relatively similar technology curve or no.

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
But those parrallels are only part of the equation of whether a machine will "benefit from extra cooling", no? These aren't the same architectures, and they're not using the same exact power saving technologies, with the same exact case designs, with the same air flow, and the same heat pipes etc. etc.

You might end up being right, but you might be getting ahead of yourself thinking "extra cooling" is a lock to be of any necessity or benefit for the PS3. Not all manufacturers and configurations are made the same, relatively similar technology curve or no.

Since I don't use any "extra cooling" for my 360, and since I said "it will benefit from extra cooling like 360", not "it will require extra cooling like 360", I think you are barking up the wrong tree. ;)

Top Bottom