• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: ‘Shattered’ Charts Hillary Clinton’s Course Into the Iceberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

and that elephant is... WHITE PEOPLE.

So how do you plan on turning that strip of states blue again, Hmmm?
The margins are super-tiny. We can easily win them again w/ a better candidate. But long-term, they are going to be slipping away. We won't be able to be competitive there forever. And we have to hope the sunbelt comes online before that happens or it'll be an ugly period for us.

It's not just "white people", it's rural white people. The margins aren't as bad in the suburbs. This isn't about the "working class" when you have a county w/ a Median income of 70K going massively for Trump.

aeolist

Banned
This comes as a shocker to a lot of progressives but most conservatives prioritize differently than we do. How else does one explain decades of "voting against their best interests" unless they're all just "stupid"?

how does that apply to the people we're talking about, the ones who voted for obama and flipped to trump? the ones that would have made up the margins in pennsylvania, wisconsin, etc

Sure. You're telling me that an entire democratic firewall flipped Red... because?

They were flipping well before election season.

People seriously underestimate how unnerved white people were about certain social issues getting a spotlight. Ie police brutality.

It's happened twice before in the US. Everytime big social pushes are made by the oppressed, there is a pushback.

Trump is it to a tee

Hillary & Co. proved to be lazy and stupid on an unprecedented level, and should never have been allowed to run in the first place given her all time low ratings and FBI investigation.

She had high approval ratings as Secretary of State. The FBI investigation was bullshit.

And once again - nobody "allowed" her to run.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
how does that apply to the people we're talking about, the ones who voted for obama and flipped to trump? the ones that would have made up the margins in pennsylvania, wisconsin, etc

I mean data has been posted repeatedly in this thread showing that economic concerns are not a good predictor of those people's behavior, so I think an argument that they prioritize economics highly when voting is a flawed one?

zabuni

Ideology before pragmatism.

You don't have to give up. Just go slower.

Go slower?

MLK said:
First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

Shallow understanding from people of goodwill is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

They've been yelling go slower for over half a century. When will it be the time?

Abounder

Banned
She had high approval ratings as Secretary of State. The FBI investigation was bullshit.

And once again - nobody "allowed" her to run.

She earned some of the worst ratings ever afterwards, and FBI investigations are not bullshit for a goddamn campaign. Democrats should not have risked the country and "allowed" themselves to basically be all-in on Hillary, especially given how she campaigned (or lack thereof)

Neoweee

She earned some of the worst ratings ever afterwards, and FBI investigations are not bullshit for a goddamn campaign. Democrats should not have risked the country and "allowed" themselves to basically be all-in on Hillary, especially given how she campaigned (or lack thereof)

She won the primary by nearly four million votes. Sorry that voters realized the email issue was essentially a load of bullshit.

How could they have known that she would go from one of the most popular political figures to as hated as Donald Trump? You should have lent them your crystal ball. This is entirely your fault.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
No, you just straw-manned my point. Your original post was a straw-man. You literally dismissed the fact that people in that region were concerned with jobs, economy, and trade. Then you were like-

"AUTOMATION!"

So, you did not have a point at all?

Kinda hard to have a discussion when one side refuses to make an argument.

So, continue to ignore all the evidence and polling research being posted, so you can feel better about your lord and savior Bernie Sanders.

Go slower?

They've been yelling go slower for over half a century. When will it be the time?
Bruh they been yelling Go slower for centuries. Look at some of our abolitionist allies centuries back who wanted to prioritize Irish indentured servitude over slavery.

Ah yes we've reached "just let them be racist as shit, we can't deal with it we have elections to win, we'll fix it later"

That's my favorite phase of these threads.

berniepoll_0.jpg

e. that's as of today

Let's see those approval ratings once they know more about Bernie than he doesn't like banks and wants to raise taxes on rich people.

Let's see how his approval ratings are among "independents" once they realize, just like Killary, he supports reverse racism, allowing the La Raza takeover of the Southwest, supports cop killers, and wants to allow future terrorists to be allowed in the US.

Abounder

Banned
She won the primary by nearly four million votes. Sorry that voters realized the email issue was essentially a load of bullshit.

How could they have known that she would go from one of the most popular political figures to as hated as Donald Trump? You should have lent them your crystal ball. This is entirely your fault.

That's the point - no one could predict just how shitty Hillary would campaign, it was hers to lose. But the toxic ratings + FBI investigation happened before the primaries and only continued afterwards, she was too risky from the get-go yet the party was basically all-in anyway.

That's the point - no one could predict just how shitty Hillary would campaign, it was hers to lose. But the toxic ratings + FBI investigation happened before the primaries and only continued afterwards, she was too risky from the get-go yet the party was basically all-in anyway.

Well I mean they had been grooming her for nearly 2 decades at that point. If they had actually stopped for 5 seconds and realized what a mistake they were making, they would have thrown away nearly 20 years.

Of course now that she lost they have thrown away even more than that. But hindsight is always 20/20 there.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
The other candidate copped to sexual assault, but, obviously, that's not a dealbreaker.
If he'd been doing it to men it would have been, Americans don't care about crimes against women.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Why did she set up that private e-mail server in the first place anyways?

She had that much distrust towards the official setup due to something?

Isn't Bill O'Reilly in hot water at Fox News? Plenty of folks care when women are mistreated.
They absolutely don't. Unequal wages, sexism, rape victim shaming by citizens and institutions, slut shaming, violence against women, gender roles etc... is still rampant in the US. A lot of people care when women in their lives are mistreated but on a societal scale the US majorly lacks respect for women.

Fox doesn't give a fuck about women and promotes all the above. They constantly shit on women and deride feminism as some liberal propaganda. The only reason they canning OReilly is because he's costing them millions.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Read through it tonight - good book. Does a decent job of avoiding the dogpiling of specific folks from an authorial standpoint. Would recommend to folks.

IrishNinja

How delusional have you gotten at this point?

NFL9Gmk.png

i think we both know the answer to this question right here, and it's the reason this post didn't get a reply

Because they're now considered part of the deplorable bunch who hates all minorities, and shouldn't be concerned for any other issue other than the social ones. I swear, people on my twitter feed are convinced that these people are awful now LOL

or, what if social issues should be given an actual priority, rather than being the first thing tossed overboard in the vague hopes of winning back a margin of people who supported an open bigot
i know that's hard for the "it's about economics, not race" bernie crowd, but still

And at most, giving Bernie the VP spot would have healed a lot of those wounds. Maybe not at first, but with some reassurance from Bernie, it would have happened. Tim Kaine is a fucking joke lol

Kaine did nothing but neither would Bernie at that point, other than look like more pandering at best. he wasn't right for that job either.

They let Bernie's people which included Cornel fucking West have a huge say on writing the party platform. Thats an olive branch.

god, i used to really dig West before the mid to late obama years

Ugh, why is this thread suddenly about Bernie. Let it go.

his biggest cheerleaders arrived or got unbanned just in time to do their thing

Correlation is not causation.

fuckin' thank you

By saying those people are pieces of shit for the four years, obviously.

won't someone think of the poor white people
we ain't shit but let's not act like anyone vying for power is actually saying this

They were flipping well before election season.

People seriously underestimate how unnerved white people were about certain social issues getting a spotlight. Ie police brutality.

It's happened twice before in the US. Everytime big social pushes are made by the oppressed, there is a pushback.

i feel like this point is made with pictures in every desegregation thread, but here we are

Go slower?

Ah yes we've reached "just let them be racist as shit, we can't deal with it we have elections to win, we'll fix it later"

MLK really knew that the best thing to do with these progressive "allies" was to toss them in the bushes

It's hilarious all of these books examining the disaster of a race when a few key counties swinging the other direction wins her the election and every single book is suddenly about the death of the Republican party.

Yeah, the quotes about Robbie Mook's data-driven operation were funny, considering that if Hillary had won, he would be hailed as a god of analytics, and the "traditional" tactics would yet again be pronounced dead in the face of Big Data (see Obama's 2012 campaign).

Bill Clinton wasn't caught on tape literally confessing of sexual assault.

Well I mean both he and Monica Lewinsky claimed it was consensual later on. So I suppose there's that.

But I don't think you should be holding Bill up as a paragon of sexual prudence at this point. He was a walking talking sex scandal for almost all of his political career.

This is... definitely not a widely held assessment of her general campaign strategy, from either Bernie supporters or Beltway press/pundit types in general, based on what I've seen. I've even seen some of the hardline anti-Bernie types agree that her strategy was focused on affluent suburban Republicans, rightly or wrongly. I honestly didn't even think this was controversial!

If you have more reporting or concrete information to back this up, I would appreciate it, because with all due respect, it strikes me as the exact opposite of what her campaign actually did.

EDIT: For example, from just a few minutes ago in coverage of GA-06, here's one of CNN's lead political reporters referring to her strategy as... focused on affluent suburban Republicans.

She didn't adopt the most progressive platform democrats have ever run on because their internal polling told them that's what suburban white moderates were looking for. It doesn't matter where fliers were sent or ads were played, her core messaging was not structured with affluent suburban whites in mind. I don't fault her for that, but in retrospect we can see it was a lost cause to convince millennial and hardcore-leftists that she wasn't a "moderate republican" as they saw her.

wildfire

Banned
What policy plan did Trump actually lay out?

"I'm going to build a wall and have Mexico pay for it!" How?

"I'm going to ban Muslims!" How?

"I'm going to bring back those jobs the Chinese and Mexicans stole from us!" How?

"I'm going to get rid of Obamacare and replace it with something better!" How?

Donald Trump never once answered how he planned on doing the shit he kept spewing. As we see in his first 100 days in office, the guy had no fucking plan. So what exactly were his voters believing in?

A policy plan doesn't need specifics. Trump proved this point.

Maybe it's fair to say Democrats as a group care more about specifics while only elite Republicans potentially care but at this point that's the state the Republican voting group is in right now.

Phrase of the thread? You know the truth of the situation.

It's a phrase of life.

I haven't seen this phrase not stop being used since I started paying attention to politics as a teenager.

kirblar

I feel a lot of people here are closing their ears going "la la la" whenever Hillary's campaign is criticized.
I would strongly suggest actually listening to what people are saying on this topic instead of trying to "feel" what people are thinking.

Hillary & Co. proved to be lazy and stupid on an unprecedented level, and should never have been allowed to run in the first place given her all time low ratings and FBI investigation.

Your trolling game has been getting progressively less coherent since last year. Perhaps you should get outside more.

On topic: this is going to be an interesting, if fruitless story for many reasons, chief among them how Dems motivate their base in hostile territory and whether demography will win out over geography in the medium-term, is constantly overshadowed by political neophytes' ramblings on personalities and tactics.

Dems problem is the centrist "go slower" attitude, and it says much when the Republicans turn the ship around, they do it pretty fast and hard.
Hillary's campaign failed the people, but that won't stop the voter blaming narrative.

StormKing

Hillary Clinton is an incompetent campaigner but great fund raiser. Hopefully the DNC learn from this. Don't run someone who has proven to be bad at campaigning in the Presidential election.

When you have a power-hungry Prima Donna promising to stay the course in a country where 70% of the people wanted change, you are bound to lose. Her shady shit was all there before she ran, and shortsighted Democrats still went along with the corporations anointing their candidate. The illegal home server HAD NOT been done by prior SOS, but leave it to the Clintons to want to hide all their Bill Clinton, Inc shenanigans from FOIA requests. Besides, she had negative ratings and dishonesty ratings on par with Trump throughout the primaries... but shortsighted Democrats went along with her corporate coronation.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
This gets dismissed SO much. Another poster a couple months ago equated this past election season to Console wars. People will get behind whatever they support, despite it's flaws, ignoring the clearly better option, for many reasons. I've seen so much mental gymnastics happen here and on Twitter to defend Hillary, (And Reddit was SUPER in for Bernie, nauseatingly. Strange because I'm one of the biggest Bernie-crats on this board, and being on r/politics is pretty cringey)

For some people, no amount of clear and tangible evidence that the DNC intervened from the onset to boost Hillary, and it showed. But not only did people ignore these things (Because she won the primary of course, so HA.) They also ignored the warning signs. The same people that laughed at Trump as a candidate and then watched in shock as he gained traction, also denied that Hillary may be weaker against him than originally thought.

To them, Hillary was DESTINED for the win.

Rally after rally, debate after debate, TV ad after ad, it became increasingly clear that Hillary was losing footing.

-Lack of substance, replaced with platitudes, cliches, and catch phrases. PC outrage at the dirty disgusting man that was Trump.
-A rough history highlighted by Bernie in the primary, really soured people on her, and seeing how the DNC kept doing shady shit, like scheduling debates on strange days/times, finger wagging at networks, feeding questions from Donna Brazile, trying to shame Bernie for being "an atheist" (Which is a sick fucking tactic).
-I was a Hillary supporter from day one, but then Bernie came, his message was CLEAR, and Hillary was the center post for what he was against- big money in politics and corruption which has politicians working for donors instead of the people. It's why Healthcare, climate change, and war is even a fucking conversation right now. After researching Hillary's past, and then looking at Bernie, with a strong record of civil rights support, etc, while Goldwater Girl Hillary with a checkered past in money, wall street dishonesty (got forbid we post that 13 minutes of Hillary lying her ass off video here, as you'll be snarked to hell and back, while the actual evidence is ignored. I was told "a youtube video is not a proper source" LOLOL)
-When you brought up these concerns, what followed was a glorious attempt at condescension, snark, dismissive attitudes, ad hominem (like being called sexist. Yeah, that happened. Multiple times)
-People were even shamed for even suggesting a 3rd party or indie vote, because a vote for anybody else other than Hillary, is a vote for Trump (which, technically, sure), but fuck your right to vote for whomever you chose, be it on conscious, principle, or otherwise.

Now we're here. No lessons learned. Oblivious to the facts. Contempt for anything Bernie (even though, right now- he's on a unity tour with the new DNC Chair, to focus on Unity). What I'm seeing now is ANY Trump voter called racist/sexist/etc, even though a good chunk of those folks voted Obama TWICE. (But that somehow doesn't matter.) Apparently Social Issues are the only thing you should be voting for, even though there are so many more issues out there. I was even told number times by a prominent GAF member on twitter, that all those racist working white folk in the rust belt "Need to die". Yeah. That ALSO happened.

Meanwhile, Bernie is now the most popular Politician in the country, (that was a FOX poll by the way.) even among conservatives, who are also now buying in to Bernie Policies especially after the GOP and Trump tried to assault the ACA.

After all this... He's still labeled a divider. Pie in the sky. And Bernie-endorsed candidates in Kansas (Whom closed an impossible gap with LITTLE TO NO help from the DNC) And in Georgia RIGHT NOW, Jon Ossoff is doing very well.

I want unity in our party. I want to go after the voters we lost in 2016 without calling them names, etc etc. They are DEMOCRATS that fucked up, yes. But are we going to spend 2018 and 2020 yelling at and ostracizing voters that we can bring back? Or are we going to campaign the shit out of those territories, winning over even CONSERVATIVES who will also be hurt by Trump (it's already happening).

Scare tactic. Like, you're barely even being annecdotal. When you drill down, no. You DONT have different interests. At it's core, we have the same wants. Social issues included. We just seem to be going about them differently. Unity is possible, and we should actively be working for it. Or lose again. Very simple.

I am in total agreement with everything you've posted here. The way the Dems on social media are handling this make me worried they will fuck up 2018 & 2020.

When you have a power-hungry Prima Donna promising to stay the course in a country where 70% of the people wanted change, you are bound to lose. Her shady shit was all there before she ran, and shortsighted Democrats still went along with the corporations anointing their candidate. The illegal home server HAD NOT been done by prior SOS, but leave it to the Clintons to want to hide all their Bill Clinton, Inc shenanigans from FOIA requests. Besides, she had negative ratings and dishonesty ratings on par with Trump throughout the primaries... but shortsighted Democrats went along with her corporate coronation.

Ding ding ding.

The only reason people have overlooked her actions is because she ran against an insane cheeto man.

I can't believe gaf os still trying to parrot the most progressive candidate ever garbage. Most progressive at lazy pandering to me and mine, but you don't get to spend decades against gay marriage/pull all the racist shit her campaign did in 08/be against UHC and then tell me how progressive you are.

I voted for her but have never left the voting booth feeling more disgusted with myself.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ding ding ding.

The only reason people have overlooked her actions is because she ran against an insane cheeto man.

I can't believe gaf os still trying to parrot the most progressive candidate ever garbage. Most progressive at lazy pandering to me and mine, but you don't get to spend decades against gay marriage/pull all the racist shit her campaign did in 08/be against UHC and then tell me how progressive you are.

I voted for her but have never left the voting booth feeling more disgusted with myself.

Do you understand how far right this country is? Do you understand how right leaning even a lot of democratic voters are?
Clinton was the most progressive candidate despite all of those things because lots of successful democrats are more conservative than her on lots of issues because that's what people vote for

Do you understand how far right this country is? Do you understand how right leaning even a lot of democratic voters are?
Clinton was the most progressive candidate despite all of those things because lots of successful democrats are more conservative than her on lots of issues because that's what people vote for

I do know how dar right the country is, you only need to look at who is in the whitehouse and congress considering most of the Ds in congress range from center right to center left.

Most progressive between her and Trump? Sure. Actually progressive? No.

You can say she was the best candidate, that she's better than an obese cheeto with dementia, that she is experienced, that she actually knows how government works unlike Trump. Yes yes yes and yes.

But calling her "progressive" is disingenuous at best, and just another example of her half assed campaign and the cringe-worthy messaging some people have parroted.

Hopefully the DNC under Perez and Ellison can turn things around during 2020 general.

Mook can fuck off forever.

True, but I hope they can turn things around for the elections this year and next year. We need to get more states so we can start making more changes on the state-level in the meantime.

tanooki27

think I might grab this audiobook. who do ya'll think might write the ultimate book about this election, though? I'd like to see Toobin's take.

Well I mean both he and Monica Lewinsky claimed it was consensual later on. So I suppose there's that.

But I don't think you should be holding Bill up as a paragon of sexual prudence at this point. He was a walking talking sex scandal for almost all of his political career.

"It was consensual"

"I just start kissing, I don't even wait"

Yeah man they're totally the same thing! Don't pay attention to silly things like details!

Measley

No matter what there will still be people on here who refuse to accept that Clinton failed to offer a serious message to working class white people, and that it was what did it for her.

Except that she did offer a SERIOUS message. The message was that those manufacturing jobs that they and their parents enjoyed 20-30 years ago are gone forever and that they would all need to be retrained in 21st century jobs.

They didn't want to hear the truth, so instead they bought into Trump's (and honestly Bernie Sanders') nonsense that they would somehow reverse the tide of globalization and bring high-paying manufacturing jobs back to the states. Trump also promised to give the middle finger to the Chinese and Mexicans taking "American" jobs. None of that shit is going to happen because automation alone is going to obliterate most of those jobs within the next 10 years.

Watching the big labor unions support Trump was the most short-sighted and laughable shit I've seen in a long time.

Ding ding ding.

Fortunately, LGBT rights have never just been about the right for same sex marriage. It's a multitude of things.
Some people arrive at positions late. The Human Rights Campaign has found her positions and voting record as a senator to be quite good.

Hillary had some very forward thinking ideas for healthcare, education, infrastructure, green jobs/climate change, etc.

With the rise of far right populism, I'm willing to swallow some imperfections and a slightly checkered past for stability and keeping radical ideologues out of power.
In no way did I feel disgusted for my vote. She and Barack Obama were voices of reason in a time of polarizing anger.

johnny956

Except that she did offer a SERIOUS message. The message was that those manufacturing jobs that they and their parents enjoyed 20-30 years ago are gone forever and that they would all need to be retrained in 21st century jobs.

They didn't want to hear the truth, so instead they bought into Trump's (and honestly Bernie Sanders') nonsense that they would somehow reverse the tide of globalization and bring high-paying manufacturing jobs back to the states. Trump also promised to give the middle finger to the Chinese and Mexicans taking "American" jobs. None of that shit is going to happen because automation alone is going to obliterate most of those jobs within the next 10 years.

Watching the big labor unions support Trump was the most short-sighted and laughable shit I've seen in a long time.

She may have offered a message but she didn't take it to those states she lost, she didn't even campaign in some of them. The campaign ignored state polls and listened to all these ridiculous polling sites showing she had a 99% chance of winning

So when was that retraining going to happen? it didn't happen under Obama, and Hillary was promising a third term. How long would rural America have to wait to see job gains under a 3rd Obama term? Her message fell flat with those voters because they could smell the bullshit from a mile away. Clinton's dishonesty was viewed on par with Trump for a reason.

They didn't want to hear the truth, so instead they bought into Trump's (and honestly Bernie Sanders') nonsense that they would somehow reverse the tide of globalization and bring high-paying manufacturing jobs back to the states.

The one thing Bernie promised was to restore power back to the workers, and away from global corporations that could give three shits about America and its people. Bernie promised to fight economic injustice, which is an extremely blatant phenomenon staring most American workers in the face. Hillary promised more bullshit pandering to global corporations to the detriment of the middle class, which is exactly what happened under Obama.

Trump also promised to give the middle finger to the Chinese and Mexicans taking "American" jobs. None of that shit is going to happen because automation alone is going to obliterate most of those jobs within the next 10 years.

If I'm an over-worked middle class family person living paycheck to paycheck, I don't give three shits about tales of some-time-in-the-future robots taking our jobs away. I want to hear what you will do Day 1 to bring back jobs. All voters got from Clinton was some lofty elitist talking points that didn't even sound genuine because Clinton wears "Corporate Corruption" on her forehead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom