• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: In Interview, Trump Expresses Anger at Sessions and Comey, and Warns Mueller

SeeThree

This is fucking nuts. I cant look away and its stealing tons of video game playing time. Finish this Stupid Watergate NOW!!

LOL at the stupid lawyer. Fuckin get her some SS protection or that witness is gonna go byebye.

zethren

Banned
She's ready, folks.

Moscow (CNN)A Russian lawyer who attended a controversial June 2016 meeting with Donald Trump Jr. at Trump Tower told CNN on Wednesday that she is willing to testify before the US Senate.

Asked by CNN if she is willing to testify before the US Senate, Natalia Veselnitskaya texted back: "Yes, I'm ready, if I will be provided with guarantees for my safety. I do not intend to say anything more, on the advice of my lawyers."

Lawyer offers 'real, true story'
Veselnitskaya told the Russian government-backed media outlet RT on Tuesday that she was ready to testify before the US Congress in order to clarify the "mass hysteria" around her story, if it was done within a legal framework and her safety was assured.

Oh FUCK YEAH

There's this certain mystique about celebrity that compels people to put them on some kind of elevated plateau on a subconscious level.
Which is rather absurd considering that they're just human beings like anyone else... susceptible to the same faults and idiosyncrasies.
They just happen to have more fame/money/followers on YouTube or whatever to distinguish them.
And that shit is simply numbers. Most of which are meaningless.

I have a friend who's dad idolized JFK, Reagen, Clinton, Obama, and now Trump. The celebrity figure seems to be his politics.

So Trump just "warned" Mueller not to look into any Trump family finances he deems not related to Russia (I.e. don't you dare follow the money!).

So when do we get to see the tax returns.

Ac30

Fuck yeah what? She's going to tell the story she's been telling all along and has no fear of lying as a Russian national. There's no way she would ever be extradited for perjury.

Either that or she'll lie her ass off claiming Junior personally hacked the DNC. The end goal is chaos, doesn't matter how it comes about.

She's ready, folks.

Moscow (CNN)A Russian lawyer who attended a controversial June 2016 meeting with Donald Trump Jr. at Trump Tower told CNN on Wednesday that she is willing to testify before the US Senate.

Asked by CNN if she is willing to testify before the US Senate, Natalia Veselnitskaya texted back: "Yes, I'm ready, if I will be provided with guarantees for my safety. I do not intend to say anything more, on the advice of my lawyers."

Lawyer offers 'real, true story'
Veselnitskaya told the Russian government-backed media outlet RT on Tuesday that she was ready to testify before the US Congress in order to clarify the "mass hysteria" around her story, if it was done within a legal framework and her safety was assured.
Yeah this is going to be a thing that totally validates Don Jr.'s claims.

MarionCB

Mr. Trump... warned that investigators would cross a red line if they delve into Trump family finances unrelated to Russia.

Place this in the context that Trump fired the NY Attorney, Preet Bharara, after promising not to do so; Bharara was the State Attorney with jurisdiction to investigate the Trump Organisation and was reportedly doing so at the time.

It is very clear that Trump companies are a nest of illegal activity and will not withstand scrutiny. He has faced countless civil lawsuits which he has always settled, but he can't just throw money at a criminal charge. It's amazed me that he has managed to escape criminal investigation so far, really.

If anyone can find an example of this happening at a previous hearing I'd like to see how it works.
They'd probably bring in someone who has experience as a court interpreter. I don't know of any examples of an interpreter at a congressional hearing, but the court system definitely deals with cases where a witness, for example, doesn't speak english. I don't think it would be significantly different here.

Place this in the context that Trump fired the NY Attorney, Preet Bharara, after promising not to do so; Bharara was the State Attorney with jurisdiction to investigate the Trump Organisation and was reportedly doing so at the time.

It is very clear that Trump companies are a nest of illegal activity and will not withstand scrutiny. He has faced countless civil lawsuits which he has always settled, but he can't just throw money at a criminal charge. It's amazed me that he has managed to escape criminal investigation so far, really.

I think it's been established he's been dealing with Russia since the collapse of the Soviet Union. To what extent his company's dealings have evolved over time would be interesting to find out. But yeah, there is probably some shady stuff.

Would anybody really be surprised if a large chunk of the campaign was funded in some way by these "nice people" oligarchs of who were generously allowed to buy up all the state owned companies when the USSR fell?

They'd probably bring in someone who has experience as a court interpreter. I don't know of any examples of an interpreter at a congressional hearing, but the court system definitely deals with cases where a witness, for example, doesn't speak english. I don't think it would be significantly different here.

I think it's significantly different. You have 10+ questioners and these hearings operate on a time limit per questioner.

Right. People should be as eager to hear from New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman as they are to hear from Mueller. Trump can't pardon state charges and has no authority over Schneiderman.

In the interview, Mr. Trump said he believes Mr. Comey told him about the dossier to implicitly make clear he had something to hold over the president. “In my opinion, he shared it so that I would think he had it out there,” Mr. Trump said. As leverage? “Yeah, I think so,’’ Mr. Trump said. “In retrospect.”

The president dismissed the assertions in the dossier: “When he brought it to me, I said this is really, made-up junk. I didn’t think about any of it. I just thought about man, this is such a phony deal.”

Oh that darn Comey, trying to blackmail the president with obviously false information!

He's terrified Mueller will look into his family finances. That's where all the real dirt is I'd guess.

I have a feeling hes terrified about all his rich friends knowing just how in debt and poor he actually is. The thought of his financial standings being brought to light and everyone seeing what a financial liability he really is and his emperor's clothes out in the open is what eats at him the most. As far as Trump is concerned its fuck the country protect my ego.

I have a feeling hes terrified about all his rich friends knowing just how in debt and poor he actually is. The thought of his financial standings being brought to light and everyone seeing what a financial liability he really is and his emperor's clothes out in the open is what eats at him the most. As far as Trump is concerned its fuck the country protect my ego.

Isn't that what happened to him in the 80's, and he had to go to take his business to the Russians because he was basically blackballed from from the high roller business community?

SeeThree

I wonder if that Ty Cobb drops him after this interview. This is like the Lester Holt one but WAY worse. Who would want to take an L for this and then not get paid.

Shotterke

It was good. We are very close. It's a tough — you know, health care. Look, Hillary Clinton worked eight years in the White House with her husband as president and having majorities and couldn't get it done. Smart people, tough people — couldn't get it done. Obama worked so hard. They had 60 in the Senate. They had big majorities and had the White House. I mean, ended up giving away the state of Nebraska. They owned the state of Nebraska. Right. Gave it away. Their best senator did one of the greatest deals in the history of politics. What happened to him?

But I think we are going to do O.K. I think we are going to see. I mean, one of my ideas was repeal. But I certainly rather would get repeal and replace, because the next last thing I want to do is start working tomorrow morning on replace. And it is time. It is tough. It's a very narrow path, winding this way. You think you have it, and then you lose four on the other side because you gave. It is a brutal process. And it was for Democrats, in all fairness.

I mean, you think of Hillary Clinton, and you look, she went eight years — very capable — went eight years as the first lady, and could not get health care. So this is not an easy crack. The one thing I'll say about myself, so, Obama was in there for eight years and got Obamacare. Hillary Clinton was in there eight years and they never got Hillarycare, whatever they called it at the time. I am not in here six months, and they'll say, ”Trump hasn't fulfilled his agenda." I say to myself, wait a minute, I'm only here a very short period of time compared to Obama. How long did it take to get Obamacare?

giphy.gif

Hillary had to fix health care as first lady?

liquidtmd

Banned
Yes Trump, threaten the man investigating you. Good idea, keep going

Coming off you firing the head of the FBI, it's the best idea. The best.

Xe4

Banned
giphy.gif

Hillary had to fix health care as first lady?

To be fair, she was big on trying to get healthcare reform in the 90's. It was called Hillarycare as a slur because she was an easy target, but also because she spent a lot of effort on it. Though he is so god damn wrong about the amount of time spent on it. Obama spent ~1 year getting both healthcare reform and Dodd-Frank banking regulations through, and the ACA is way more comprehensive than this shitty ass Republican bill. On top of that, they had to get 60 votes meaning every single democrat had to be in line as well as Lieberman because of the death of Ted Kennedy.

UberTag

Yes Trump, threaten the man investigating you. Good idea, keep going

Coming off you firing the head of the FBI, it's the best idea. The best.
That's what Trump does. He threatens the people investigating him... and then he fires them when they don't cave to his threats.

He did it to Bharara.
He did it to Comey.
And he'll do it to Mueller... even if he has to lynch Sessions to do it.

Veselnitskaya is an unbearable blowhard and attention seeker, I don't expect anything new from her testimony except another tearful lecture on how Magnitsky Deserved It.

That's what Trump does. He threatens the people investigating him... and then he fires them when they don't cave to his threats.

He did it to Bharara.
He did it to Comey.
And he'll do it to Mueller... even if he has to lynch Sessions to do it.

Veselnitskaya is an unbearable blowhard and attention seeker, I don't expect anything new from her testimony except another tearful lecture on how Magnitsky Deserved It.

Should probably be shouted from the rooftops as frequently as possible that Veselnitskaya's firm was in the midst of a NY court case when Bharara was fired.

They got a favorable settlement ruling just this spring.

All the pieces matter.

watershed

Banned
If she does testify she's not gonna reveal any bombshells. She works for Russia. She'll corroborate everything Trump Jr says or obfuscate things further.

UberTag

Trump complaints about conflict of interest? Trump?
Trump has no concept of hypocrisy.
Trump lacks self-awareness.
Trump likes to project and accuse others of being guilty of the crimes he commits so he can validate their normalcy.
Trump believes everything he hears from Bannon and his buddies on Fox and Friends... who have crowed on and on about Hillary's many conflicts of interest.
Trump has a natural predilection to lie about things which can be easily refuted.

Oh that darn Comey, trying to blackmail the president with obviously false information!

He tries to make it sound like he flew in and out for miss universe same day.

but after the billy graham birthday party on the 7th of November - attended by him, Murdoch, Palin etc - his tweets are by the web client PR person until he lands again on evening of 10th (he tweeted on the 9th - using his hackable android phone - that he had just had a moscow tour). He also got photographed smiling on the red carpet the day before the miss U day.
So basically he spent at least one, maybe two, nights in Russia hanging with the high society.

Oersted

To be fair, she was big on trying to get healthcare reform in the 90's. It was called Hillarycare as a slur because she was an easy target, but also because she spent a lot of effort on it. Though he is so god damn wrong about the amount of time spent on it. Obama spent ~1 year getting both healthcare reform and Dodd-Frank banking regulations through, and the ACA is way more comprehensive than this shitty ass Republican bill. On top of that, they had to get 60 votes meaning every single democrat had to be in line as well as Lieberman because of the death of Ted Kennedy.

Fun fact:

Trump, as some (not him) remember, infamously promised to repeal and replace Obamacare with something much better within a week/day/hour.

Did Trump spend any time on the bill?

Xe4

Banned
Fun fact:

Trump, as some (not him) remember, infamously promised to repeal and replace Obamacare with something much better within a week/day/hour.

Did Trump spend any time on the bill?
He came in thinking it was a business and thinking he could just yell at and shame people and they would get it done.

It's almost like putting a businessman with 0 political experience in charge of the most important position in the country is a bad idea.

You won't see me complaining.

It seems clear that Trump gives these interviews because he knows that it doesn't matter what he says, as long as the Republicans hold power nothing will be done to him. He does this to set the groundwork for the actions he'll take next which will clearly be to clean house at the Justice Dept. to restore "fairness" to his administration.

If the congressional Republicans stand by and let him do it then I'll know for sure that it isn't that they're afraid of him or being overwhelmed by their greed to keep him in power, they can largely achieve the same goals with Pence. If Trump is allowed to stop this investigation then the what the Republicans really want is to start to model the USA after Russia. A kleptocracy run by American oligarchs sounds like a right-wing wet dream.

Horns

Every time he is left to speak freely without handlers and spokespeople he does this. He just can't help himself. He has no ability to moderate himself. Now imagine how dumb you would have to be to vote for this person to be your leader.

Ascheroth

It seems clear that Trump gives these interviews because he knows that it doesn't matter what he says, as long as the Republicans hold power nothing will be done to him. He does this to set the groundwork for the actions he'll take next which will clearly be to clean house at the Justice Dept. to restore "fairness" to his administration.

If the congressional Republicans stand by and let him do it then I'll know for sure that it isn't that they're afraid of him or being overwhelmed by their greed to keep him in power, they can largely achieve the same goals with Pence. If Trump is allowed to stop this investigation then the what the Republicans really want is to start to model the USA after Russia. A kleptocracy run by American oligarchs sounds like a right-wing wet dream.
No, he gives these interviews because he's a moron and needs attention. He has no 'masterplan'.

Top Bottom