• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Trump Campaign Aides Had Repeated Contacts With Russian Intelligence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo, somebody in that white house needs to find his ass, grab his phone, and stomp the shit out of it.

Because Trump is sinking the whole ship.

1063695.gif

SerTapTap

I wonder how pissed Russia is for his (half-hearted) "Actually Russia is bad when Obama did it" thing. He hasn't exactly been doing good PR for them

But these are not unsubstantiated. There are literal records of extensive phone calls to Russian intelligence agents. That's all the IC has commmented on, not the nature of the calls.

They are not unsubstantiated, they are just not fully detailed right now.

His point is what if the IC released transcripts of Obamas administrations intercepted phone calls. Would the crowd here still be the same?

The IC is essentially releasing tapped calls to the media to undermine the administration. For all the people cheering this, just wait until the script flips and Trump has the IC release tapped calls from all existing US democratic senators. Not sure if the response here would be the same.

gcubed

His point is what if the IC released transcripts of Obamas administrations intercepted phone calls. Would the crowd here still be the same?

The IC is essentially releasing tapped calls to the media to undermine the administration. For all the people cheering this, just wait until the script flips and Trump has the IC release tapped calls from all existing US democratic senators. Not sure if the response here would be the same.

This is the equivalent of "you wouldn't download a car!"

Nerazar

I wonder how pissed Russia is for his (half-hearted) "Actually Russia is bad when Obama did it" thing. He hasn't exactly been doing good PR for them

I mean, he *is* implying that the US will be harder on Russia... that's the only thing which counts at this point. The Kremlin is in a lose-lose situation, even if they had a pee pee tape.

If they leak that pee pee, then Trump will either go batshit crazy or Pence will take over - both things would lead to a more aggressive stance against Russia and Putin doesn't need anyone calling his bluffs. So they will try to keep Trump in power and to "urge" him to be more friendly to the Kremlin while provoking him at every corner and testing his limits.

theWB27

Do you think this is needed at this time? Do you not think a corrupted government warrants extreme measures to get it out the white house?

Mathieran

Banned

If anyone is engaging in activity that harms our nation I would be fine with it. I don't care if all official communication with other countries is documented. Might keep our senators more honest knowing someone is listening.

If they are possibly violating the espionage act then they deserve all the same heat as trumps people are starting to feel. But somehow I doubt they are.

Gg5okuD.jpg

(I do feel dirty for admitting that)

He's not right at all, after the annexation of Crimea many countries including the US introduced new economic sanctions against Russia which contributed heavily to the crash of the Ruble in 2014. How is that going light because we didn't put boots on the ground?

Joeku

Q5rd1uu.png

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/831840306161123328

Edit: I just want to say this. I have missed this. It was so weird and cold time when Easy D didn't rant on Twitter for 5-6 days.

God, I've said this before, but as the beating heart of the hypocritical alt-right, Trump really is the biggest cuck of them all. When the office of the President is taken away from him, he's going to stare at the desk as he's dragged out of the Oval Office and then cum so hard he'll die.

jiiikoo

Banned
He's not right at all, after the annexation of Crimea many countries including the US introduced new economic sanctions against Russia which contributed heavily to the crash of the Ruble in 2014. How is that going light because we didn't put boots on the ground?

And didn't the US give weapons to Ukraine? Not sure if I remember this correctly.

Some people just want a world war. That's the only way to prove anything

Is Obama committing treason in these transcripts?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
So does he now start a war with Russia to prove they don't have a pee pee tape? Goddammit get this fuck out of the Oval Office

God, I've said this before, but as the beating heart of the hypocritical alt-right, Trump really is the biggest cuck of them all. When the office of the President is taken away from him, he's going to stare at the desk as he's dragged out of the Oval Office and then cum so hard he'll die.

I'm fucking dying omg haha

UberTag

So does he now start a war with Russia to prove they don't have a pee pee tape? Goddammit get this fuck out of the Oval Office
This is just baseless Twitter rhetoric. Nothing more than that.
If you're going to war with anyone in the next few weeks, it's still Iran.
Trump just needs them to take his bait and attack first so he can bullshit the world that he's not a tyrant looking to seize territory and oil.

Guy.brush

Man I know the world is normally more complex than that, and easy explanations often are conspiracy territory, but if this all checks out, that is basically a giant "Die Hard" money heist playing out on a global stage.

Saw this on reddit about the repeal of Dodd-frank that happened today:

http://www.vox.com/2017/2/14/14617312/trump-transparency-oil

This is what Trump and Putin are up to: Exxon Mobil, under Rex Tillerson, brokered a deal with Russia in 2013 to lease over 60 million acres of Russian land to pump oil out of (which is five times as much land as they lease in this country), but all that Russian oil would go through pipelines in the Ukraine, who heavily tax the proceeds, and Ukraine was applying for admission into NATO at the time. Putin subsequently invaded Ukraine in 2014, secured the routes to export the oil tax-free by sea, and took control of the port where their Black Sea Naval Fleet is based, by taking the Crimean peninsula from Ukraine by force. This was Hitler style imperialism that broke every international law in the free world. After Obama sanctioned Russia for the invasion, Exxon Mobil could only pump oil from approximately 3 of those 60+ million acres. But now Rex Tillerson is soon to be our Secretary of State, and as of today, there’s information circulating that Donald Trump will likely unilaterally remove all sanctions against Russia in the coming days or weeks. The Russian government’s oil company, Rosneft, will make half a trillion (500 Billion) dollars from that much untapped oil, all pumped tax-free through Crimea, stolen from Ukraine, now owned by Russia. Putin may have subverted our government just for this deal to go through.

The quoted is from reddit user Nikon_Justus, so take with a grain of salt but the following kind of collaborates with it:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/...-billions-at-stake-over-russia-sanctions.html

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Leaks are real.
They're being released illegitimately to fuel conspiracy theories put forward by the "fake news" media at MSNBC, CNN, New York Time and Washington Post.
That's my interpretation of Trump's tweetspeak.
I know that's what he's saying, but it makes no sense. If it's real, how can it be a conspiracy? They are simply reporting facts.

Oh he's gonna get in trouble for that one!
How so? That's probably what his Russian overlords told him to say. It shows Russia as a powerful country you don't mess with, and Obama as a weak president who can't do anything well.

Once again, fuck Trump and fuck his supporters.

charsace

Treason. Our president is a damn traitor. GOP will be screwed once more comes out. Nothing says you care nothing for the people than letting another country manipulate things.

Treason. Our president is a damn traitor. GOP will be screwed once more comes out. Nothing says you care nothing for the people than letting another country manipulate things.

We aren't at war so they can't be commiting treason, violating other laws including the espionage act absolutely possible.

Zips

Any politician that is corrupt and/or treasonous should be rooted out, regardless of party. If Obama and co had done shit as shady as Trump then yes that should have been exposed as well.

That is not a blank cheque to start wildly releasing any and all information on everyone, regardless of whether it's bad or not.

jelly

Man I know the world is normally more complex than that, and easy explanations often are conspiracy territory, but if this all checks out, that is basically a giant "Die Hard" money heist playing out on a global stage.

Yep. Amazing story. The whole administration needs to be gone.

Amalthea

Banned
I hope Trump will now try to act though on Russia just to save face wich in turn makes him a nuisance to the Kremlin and they leak the tape to get him out of the way.

What if the IC were leaking unsubstantiated claims about Obama in 2009? Question has to be asked, the media so far have generally accepted these leaks and ran with them, but what's to stop it happening unjustifiablly against a future POTUS that we approve of?

Anyone who posts leaked information puts their credibility on the line. If it turns out your story is garbage, I would expect most decent journalists to improve their vetting process and expose garbage sources.

For your hypothetical, the intelligence community doesn't work for the president's best interests. They're supposed to work for the country's national security. Their job is not to hide executive wrongdoing in the name of keeping the peace. We've all known for years that the NSA tracks everyone's phone calls, including foreign leaders, anyone hoping to slip one past them was hopelessly naive.

One could argue that it is irresponsible or flat out illegal for these agencies to interfere during an election season, which is why the last minute "but emails" announcement was so controversial. For this same reason, Obama kept his mouth shut during the transition, because the foundations of our democracy demand a smooth transition of power. Now that Trump has the power, it's open season for any and all slip ups, especially if he's going to openly criticize the agencies for doing their jobs and/or informing the American people, like he did after they announced the summary of the Russian hacks.

kmag

I agree about the wealth link back to the Kremlin. But are we now saying any wealthy Russian interested in politics is practically a Russian government official? Or worse, an agent? Is Rex Tillerson a sleeper agent?

If you took that approach when talking about sensitive issues then would it be a particularly stupid idea.

Again these are now the guys entrusted with state secrets. At the time they were just trying to be the guys entrusted with state secrets, some them would have been present for security briefings. Stop attempting to hold them to the man on the street standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom