• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT:White House Accuses Russia of Cover-up in Syria Chemical Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a deliberate distraction from the fbi invesigations into the trump administration.

It won't work. The FBI isn't going to stop or slow down regardless of how distracted the public gets. They'll release their findings and indictments when it's time. And it'll be a megaton, I suspect. Followed by tweets and rallies screaming that it's all fake.

Lol @ the gullibility.

Release one statement being "tough" on Russia, and people are tripping over themselves declaring the "narrative" over.

But these remarks by the White House do go against the narrative that he's not tough on Russia and is in Putin's pocket

what am I saying that's wrong?

It won't work. The FBI isn't going to stop or slow down regardless of how distracted the public gets. They'll release their findings and indictments when it's time. And it'll be a megaton, I suspect. Followed by tweets and rallies screaming that it's all fake.

Yeah I mean this is the thing, all these distraction tactics mean dick when it comes to the IC.

*puts on tin foil hat*

This is all just a ruse for the US to lift the sanctions on Russia if you ask me

I think Congress passed legislation to give them oversight over Russian sanctions, there was strong bipartisian support. Russia covering up Syria's CW attacks is not going to make that go away.

Ac30

But these remarks by the White House do go against the narrative that he's not tough on Russia and is in Putin's pocket

Nothing, people are just jumping to conclusions. They do go against the narrative and make him look good and innocent in the eyes of the public, which is all that matters to him.

rambis

Banned
So much for the puppet narrative

I really don't think the puppet aspect was taken very seriously by people following the case clsoely.

I for one believe Trump coordinated with the Russians to some degree in all their meddling in our elections and that there is a significant trail of undisclosed money leading back to members of the Trump camp and Trump himself. The former is impeachable and the latter may be as well. Russia's payment is a lighter, more forgiving tone in regards to their fuckery worldwide which Trump has been doing from the get.

zethren

Banned
No, fuck you. This is a distraction from the investigations.

If the media at large continues praising his military actions, and is successfully distracted by this, then I don't know what to say anymore.

Slayven

Worst case is Trump and Co using it to say "no puppet" despite all the russian smoke

Best case They are turning on russia because they think they are done with Putin.

Ac30

I really don't think the puppet aspect was taken very seriously by people following the case clsoely.

I for one believe Trump coordinated with the Russians to some degree in all their meddling and that there is a significant trail of undisclosed money leading back to members of the Trump camp and Trump himself. The former is impeachable and the latter may be as well. Russia's payment is a lighter, more forgiving tone in regards to their fuckery worldwide which Trump has been doing from the get.

We'll see if he can now criticize daddy Putin in public.

I have never seen another US president engage in whataboutism about their own country in order to defend Russia. I can't believe there wasn't a bigger outcry.

Spicer STILL making excuses for not releasing Trumps 2016 tax return. "Financial disclosure form so much better," and no Americans care about his tax returns still. lol.

Pedrito

The White House "being tough" on Russia will not lead to the release of pee pee tape if such thing exists. For Putin, the US being a foe instead of a friend is much more beneficial internally. He can continue to push the "us vs. them" narrative and pretend that his people need him to keep the western imperialists in check.

Keep an eye on the sanctions. It's the only prize that really matters.

Damaniel

Banned
*puts on tin foil hat*

This is all just a ruse for the US to lift the sanctions on Russia if you ask me

I could conceivably see this being a thing - Trump and Putin use Syria to get the US and Russia to escalate tensions with each other, then eventually decide that the best way to fix things would be to be 'diplomatic' and go to the negotiating table, where Russia would receive reduced sanctions in exchange for keeping the peace.

And yeah, I was wearing my tin foil hat when I wrote that.

Aselith

Still don't trust Trumps White House and Russia but at least they're not being so open about it?

Or is that bad?

I don't even know anymore

This was already out. Unless they do something, it's words just like the campaign when he was TOTALLY NOT GONNA BE SOFT ON RUSSIA U GUYS

Meanwhile, Russia is saying the US is planning false flag chemical attacks to justify further bombings.

The US is initiating false flag gassing operations on rebel civilians to then ineffectually bomb Syrian government and Russian military targets with warnings to minimize damage and loss of life? Am I getting that right? What kind of nth-level fuckery are they suggesting?

Perhaps it's best to keep the conspiracy theories and connecting the dots to a minimum. It is entirely possible that the Russia/Trump investigation, which suggests a quid pro quo relationship over Crimea and the general election, has little bearing over the Trump/Russia situation in Syria, which involves ISIS, Turkey, Jordan, half the EU, and the reputation of the Unites States as the leader of the free world.

He apparently just said, "Even someone as dispicable as Hitler didn't use chemical weapons."

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/851856938719735808

So... yeah.
He didn't? What were in those gas chambers then? Or is he talking only about the battlefield?

The investigations, especially in federal law enforcement aren't going to be distracted this easily but I'm still convinced that congressional Republicans are never going to take steps to remove Trump regardless of what is discovered. You can already see the goalposts moving to "did the Russians change the votes? No? We're all good then".

The investigations, especially in federal law enforcement aren't going to be distracted this easily but I'm still convinced that congressional Republicans are never going to take steps to remove Trump regardless of what is discovered. You can already see the goalposts moving to "did the Russians change the votes? No? We're all good then".

Watergate took YEARS and Congress' support of Nixon eroded over a period of years. Thanks for the concern trolling.

Tovarisc

Spicey still awfully defensive re: Russia

u8lCMoi.png

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/851859996069552130

Edit: He also said "Bassad al-Ashar"

Shoeless

I'm a bit confused now. If you're a Trump supporter and you see all these reporters from places like the failing New York Times and lying CNN talking about the President attacking Syria, and you know these outlets are fake news, then do they believe that this is even happening?

I mean, until a trustworthy reporter from a real news outlet like Breitbart or Infowars does a report from Syria themselves telling the truth with their vast operating budgets and huge armadas of investigative journalists, isn't everything you read in the papers or see on the TV from these fake news outlets... fake? They don't believe any of this is happening, right? Unless Breitbart reports it, even a televised statement Trump makes on CNN could just be a CGI fabrication.

I'm a bit confused now. If you're a Trump supporter and you see all these reporters from places like the failing New York Times and lying CNN talking about the President attacking Syria, and you know these outlets are fake news, then do they believe that this is even happening?

I mean, until a trustworthy reporter from a real news outlet like Breitbart or Infowars does a report from Syria themselves telling the truth with their vast operating budgets and huge armadas of investigative journalists, isn't everything you read in the papers or see on the TV from these fake news outlets... fake? They don't believe any of this is happening, right? Unless Breitbart reports it, even a televised statement Trump makes on CNN could just be a CGI fabrication.

A Russian friend of mine levied a "fake news" accusation at the AP story yesterday, with the tinfoil reasoning that Trump may be trying to raise a BS charge against Putin to deflect from the Russia investigation.

I can't deal with this shit. The simplest explanation often works out. Putin is a monster, who might be above gassing citizens, but who's not above intentionally bombing enemy hospitals in a foreign conflict. Trump, or people in his administration, may have colluded with Russia for ill-gotten financial gains or preferential immunity from hacker leaks during the election, in exchange for loosening the Obama-initiated Crimea sanctions. Trump, as president of the United States, might have the wherewithal to realize he'll look like a complete buffoon if he doesn't respond to televised war crimes in an area that he's sworn to be different from his predecessor. All of these things can be true without trying to tie them into knots.

Sorc3r3r

Whatever yeah.

The narrative has been set,the proofs built, the media instructed.
It's not the first time with the USA pretending to start a war, enjoy your ride to hell.

It's evidence planted by the WH, and this isn't a shift in policy. This is as dumb as Eric Trump saying the bombing was "proof" there was no Russian connection.

Maybe ask Tillerson where his Medal of Friendship or whatever the fuck is. There's still mountains upon mountains of connections among business deals, partnerships, connections between people themselves that make the case extremely strongly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom