• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(NYTIMES) Next Up on Cable TV, Higher Bill for Consumers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_Tet

Banned
I'm likely dropping my cable this month and transitioning to a media PC up front. Does anyone have a list of 'must-have' tv websites? I know about Hulu, what other sites have TV shows online?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
bkfount said:
They're basically subsidized by being on a tier, and they float on the ad revenue they get from that. If cable went a la carte, they'd be fucked, along with a bunch of other niche channels. They'd lose the subscriber base they have now, which drastically cuts out the ad revenue. It'll also be hard to find a subscription fee that allows them to operate how they do now.

A la carte is a cool idea for consumers, but content and cable companies will fight like hell to prevent it.

Then basically we're being forced to subsidize shitty channels we don't want.

Only about 50-60 channels are probably needed. We'd probably end up paying the same for less in the end though.

Aaron

FLEABttn said:
This is why I like cable. There are points where I just want some background noise and Hulu doesn't do that. Hulu is "I want to watch X and I want to watch X now." Cable is "I want to watch something entertaining on the animal planet maybe, oh, nothing's here, well let's go to Discovery, oh sweet, a Mythbusters marathon."

Untill Hulu can do that, I can't full kill off cable. However, I only watch 10 channels ever. Give me a la carte.
It's much better putting a dvd boxset on with commentary track for background noise than dealing with cable. Cheaper too.

unomas

Banned
This thread makes me want to ditch cable, I've got the wireless, got the PS3, but I will miss my DVR like no tomorrow and I just bought a new HDTV 2 months ago.

Ardorx

Banned
I really wish I could ditch cable altogether but since other people live here and actually use the service, that isn't an option. It would be nice if I could just pay for the channels that I want and not get locked into some package deal filled with BS that I'll never watch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
er, how can networks justify getting paid by cable operators to carry their channels? Aren't they mandated by the FCC or someone to provide free to access channels? Surely you can tune into the networks by using an antenna for free, and cable are doing them a favour by providing visibility on the cable boxes/DVRs.

If cable boxes dropped the networks, consumers could still watch them by switching over to their antennas, but they'd probably watch them less as the cable box/DVR is so much more convenient.

I'd almost charge the networks for the ability to be on cable boxes.

and alacarte doesn't work. it'll either put your prices up overall, or reduce your channels dramatically, or both. The only reason you get so many channels is because some of the minority channels get so little from the package fees.

bkfount said:
They're basically subsidized by being on a tier, and they float on the ad revenue they get from that. If cable went a la carte, they'd be fucked, along with a bunch of other niche channels. They'd lose the subscriber base they have now, which drastically cuts out the ad revenue. It'll also be hard to find a subscription fee that allows them to operate how they do now.

A la carte is a cool idea for consumers, but content and cable companies will fight like hell to prevent it.

The tiers in programming are not a bad idea, the problem is that usually to get one tier you have to have the three or four under it to be allowed to subscribe. If it were choosing bundles of channels instead of individual channels, then that would not be so bad. Like to get the tier that has Food Network (which I would want), I have to get past the sports tier with multiple ESPNs and whatnot that I do NOT want. It is bullshit.

sk3

Banned
At the very least, genre packs should exist.

"Kids" - Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Disney
"Sports" - ESPN, Versus, FSN
"Home" - HGTV, Food, DIY
"Educational" - Discovery, Science, TLC
"Stupid" - MTV, E!, VH1

This would give you more control without completely screwing niche networks.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Instead of arguing for picking your own channels, why not pick and choose your own programs? Why have channels at all?

The Internet has this right so far.

Considering how many independent studios there are creating tv show in hollywood, I bet there would be a lot of happy people who got turned down by the networks out there.

TomServo

A friend of mine showed me how easy it is to ditch cable.

He gets network programming OTA and records / watches in Windows Media Center w/ his 360 as an MCE. Like others have said, you throw in Netflix streaming, Hulu, and DVD / BD box sets via Netflix snail mail and there's no need for cable.

I've run cat5e througout the house, picked up a second 360 for a living room MCE, and have a tuner card and antenna on their way from Amazon. For about a $300 investment I'll save $75 a month.

anddo0

racerx77 said:
been without cable tv for years.. too expensive. I'm ok with blu ray/dvd/gaming

I gave up on TV back in August. I miss my sports, but I do plan to purchase some early bird specials for MLB.com streaming, and will do the same for other sports. I'm a TWC customer (internet only). I hope they don't jack up the prices on that, $48 a month is already pushing it.

TomServo said:

He gets network programming OTA and records / watches in Windows Media Center w/ his 360 as an MCE. Like others have said, you throw in Netflix streaming, Hulu, and DVD / BD box sets via Netflix snail mail and there's no need for cable.

I've run cat5e througout the house, picked up a second 360 for a living room MCE, and have a tuner card and antenna on their way from Amazon. For about a $300 investment I'll save $75 a month.

I have to try the OTA thing, been too lazy... Hulu, Fancast and Netflix have been a god send.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Neogaf says:
f0rmh4.png

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I don't have cable. Unfortunately, I need high speed internet and comcast makes it more expensive to just get the internet. So I have to have basic cable + internet. This consists of the same channels you would get over the air, with FX and USA thrown in. I think this is an ok deal. I'd rather just have the internet but- oh well. I do like tv, it's quick enjoyment. Hulu and netflix streaming are still not there in terms of picture quality and quality of service. And I have to tell you, all these people saying the internet is the future don't know what they are talking about. Internet infrastructure cannot sustain mass on demand service.

Now, one channel I do wish I had is the Food network.

otake

Instead of arguing for picking your own channels, why not pick and choose your own programs? Why have channels at all?

The Internet has this right so far.

o_0

A few questions:

How are you getting your media?

What are you watching it on?

HD or SD?

The Food Network costs distributors 8 cents a viewer on average now; Scripps wants a roughly 300 percent raise, according to people briefed on the negotiations. That might seem drastic, but 30 other channels, some with lower ratings, already earn that much. “We were really, really undervalued,” said Brooke Johnson, the president of the Food Network.

Food Network really needs to offer a $5 bucks a month streaming website with every good eats ever instead... and I'll pay and pay and pay

otake said:
o_0

A few questions:

How are you getting your media?

What are you watching it on?

HD or SD?
Hulu, Netflix, antenna, iTunes on a Mac Mini connected to an HDTV. The antenna, iTunes, and most of Netflix Watch Instantly is in HD.

There's also Amazon Video-on-Demand, station websites, and YouTube for anything else you can't find.

I'm actually surprised every time this topic comes up because I'm reminded that people don't even consider these options. I wonder why people can invest over $1000 yearly on big cable packages but don't invest a moment to think about how to connect a computer to a TV.

Hulu, Netflix, antenna, iTunes on a Mac Mini connected to an HDTV. The antenna, iTunes, and most of Netflix Watch Instantly is in HD.

There's also Amazon Video-on-Demand, station websites, and YouTube for anything else you can't find.

I'm actually surprised every time this topic comes up because I'm reminded that people don't even consider these options. I wonder why people can invest over $1000 yearly on big cable packages but don't invest a moment to think about how to connect a computer to a TV.

TV and laziness go hand-in-hand. No mystery there.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
And this is why I split my TV bill 3 ways with family, makes this insanity much more affordable.

FLEABttn

Banned
Especially the ones promoting it as valuable background noise.

It's no better or worse than anything you enjoy as background noise (outside of maybe cost).

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The sentiment in this thread that you can forego cable tv and use the internet instead is exactly why Comcast and Time Warner are throwing around bandwidth caps, and also why Comcast will be trying its best to dismantle hulu should its purchase of NBC get approved.

Fearing the future: it's the business model of choice.

gcubed

Hitokage said:
The sentiment in this thread that you can forego cable tv and use the internet instead is exactly why Comcast and Time Warner are throwing around bandwidth caps, and also why Comcast will be trying its best to dismantle hulu should its purchase of NBC get approved.

i think your tin foil hat has a little too much tin foil in it. The will not try to dismantle Hulu because it will become a valuable revenue stream to them because more and more people will be leaving cable. They already offer the same exact service to subscribers, and Hulu will become a pay site soon enough for "premium content".

and how exactly would a company with 30% ownership be able to dismantle a service?

Tobor

Hitokage said:

My hope is that Comcast has accepted it's fate as a dumb pipe, and purchased NBC to guarantee revenue in this new reality. Hulu is going to a pay model this year anyway.

Tiered pricing is inevitable, though. I have no doubts that I'll be spending $100+ a month for the same bandwidth in the future.

Woodsy

Banned
DirecTV just notified me they were jacking up rates, but if you call and threaten to quit, you can get about $25 in discounts a month. Just be persistent and say "look, I'm going to quit and you're immediately going to send me the 'come back at this rate' notice, so let's cut out that step."

Still, I might go with the devil and switch to Comcast Triple Play (ugh).

Renji_11

I plan to drop cable when my contract is up the problem is I can't seem to get a good signal with my tv tuner card and I don't live far from DC. :(

gcubed

Woodsy said:
DirecTV just notified me they were jacking up rates, but if you call and threaten to quit, you can get about $25 in discounts a month.

if you have options in your area and no need for a provider (if i want to watch philly sports, i need Comcast or Verizon, can't do sat. though rumor is this is going to change soon) then your best bet is to simply just ride the year long offers until they expire and then switch. There is nothing really holding you anymore, you can port your number and i dont really know anyone who relies on a service provider email address.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
gcubed said:
i think your tin foil hat has a little too much tin foil in it.
Probably! I just don't put anything past them, although you are right in that having a non-controlling stake would make things difficult. I forgot about that.

bionic77

Woodsy said:
DirecTV just notified me they were jacking up rates, but if you call and threaten to quit, you can get about $25 in discounts a month. Just be persistent and say "look, I'm going to quit and you're immediately going to send me the 'come back at this rate' notice, so let's cut out that step."

Cable does that shit too. But it gets annoying after awhile, especially with how much time you end up wasting on the phone.

I need my HD sports so cable is a necessary evil, but between my cable, internet and cell phone bills I am looking at a fucking car payment.

Philia

Problems with all that stuff online and streaming is NO CLOSED CAPTIONS! In other words, hard of hearing and deaf viewers are still getting screwed. :\ I'm pretty close to just dumping the whole thing altogether but still love my shows still.

otake

I have netflix and I have not found any of the content I watch in HD.

I was being partially sarcastic with the questions. I'm well aware of how to get content online and over the air, legally and not. The problem is these options present a solution to a very select group of people.

Lets break it down:

Hulu. It's not HD, lag causes it to go crazy on pretty often, not all programming is on it, most of it is timed, meaning the shows are removed after a few days they are also posted a week after boradcast. Looks awful on an HDTV.

Netflix. Decent selection, few HD without a Roku box. Shows aren't available on watch instantly for a long while. Video quality goes up and down according to latency caused by internet connection. Also, mostly not HD. Like Hulu, it looks like ass in 1080i.

iTunes, has good enough quality but shows have to be purchased individually. Raising costs significantly. If you were to buy every episode of lost, for example, your bill would be at least half of what a cable bill is and that's just one show.

You make too many assumptions about content and quality. Just because you're willing to put up with bandwidth problems, poor quality and limited content doesn't mean everyone will. Hence you suggestion is not really a solution and no the internet does not have it right.

otake said:
I have netflix and I have not found any of the content I watch in HD.

I was being partially sarcastic with the questions. I'm well aware of how to get content online and over the air, legally and not. The problem is these options present a solution to a very select group of people.

Lets break it down:

Hulu. It's not HD, lag causes it to go crazy on pretty often, not all programming is on it, most of it is timed, meaning the shows are removed after a few days they are also posted a week after boradcast. Looks awful on an HDTV.

Netflix. Decent selection, few HD without a Roku box. Shows aren't available on watch instantly for a long while. Video quality goes up and down according to latency caused by internet connection. Also, mostly not HD. Like Hulu, it looks like ass in 1080i.

iTunes, has good enough quality but shows have to be purchased individually. Raising costs significantly. If you were to buy every episode of lost, for example, your bill would be at least half of what a cable bill is and that's just one show.

You make too many assumptions about content and quality. Just because you're willing to put up with bandwidth problems, poor quality and limited content doesn't mean everyone will. Hence you suggestion is not really a solution and no the internet does not have it right.
I don't have that connection mess you're talking about. Netflix on 360 once said "hey dude we're slowing this down." Just once. So those are your own problems. I'm also going to make the assumption that you don't get HD options because your connection isn't able to handle it, because I have trouble finding non-HD versions of anything popular on there.

Your iTunes cost comparison makes no sense. Buying a season pack for $30-50 isn't more expensive than paying $60+ every month for a few months to see that whole season with annoying, loud, neverending ads. iTunes and Amazon are the overall cheaper a la carte options people are wanting in this thread. Also, don't forget that I'm using an antenna, so Lost is free and in HD for me. I believe abc.com also has the entire show streaming on its site.

There is no limited content when you combine all of the services I described. If Hulu only has the last few episodes, get the first half from iTunes or Amazon. If you need to catch up on something, get the old season sets from Netflix.

Just received the notice from DirecTV that my bill is going up another $5 next month. I'd really like some sort of an a la carte service at this point. I get so many channels bundled in that I have no interest in.

Woodsy

Banned
TomServo said:

...unless you're a sports fan and want to watch anything other than the NFL. This is my biggest issue.

Tobor

I don't have that connection mess you're talking about. Netflix on 360 once said "hey dude we're slowing this down." Just once. So those are your own problems. I'm also going to make the assumption that you don't get HD options because your connection isn't able to handle it, because I have trouble finding non-HD versions of anything popular on there.

Your iTunes cost comparison makes no sense. Buying a season pack for $30-50 isn't more expensive than paying $60+ every month for a few months to see that whole season with annoying, loud, neverending ads. iTunes and Amazon are the overall cheaper a la carte options people are wanting in this thread.

Also: there is no limited content when you combine all of the services I described. If Hulu only has the last few episodes, get the first half from iTunes or Amazon. If you need to catch up on something, get the old season sets from Netflix.

This is the perfect scenario, it's exactly what I do. You can get good deals, too. I bought Dexter Season 3 for $11 on iTunes when it was on sale.

Seth C

Draft said:
Spotty performance in my apartment, no ESPN.

Try canceling cable and see what channels you still get. Assuming you still use their internet, you are likely to still receive all the networks in HD. You may get more than that, depending on what they choose to block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom