• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

O.J. Simpson's parole hearing will air on ESPN (Update: OJ granted parole)

Effect

He never should have gotten the sentence he got this time. They know it and that's why he's getting out. He better keep his head down. If he gets any deals then get them, pay the money you have to pay and and then live out the rest of his life.

molnizzle

As much as we all pretty much know he's guilty of other crimes, the fact that he was only ever convicted of the robbery is a big factor here.

The only factor that matters, honestly.

He's probably a murderer, but the justice system found him not guilty of that crime. That case should have no impact on this one, and the fact is he's served more than enough time for his conviction.

Dalek

I see OJ

The justice system worked today and in the verdict of his murder trial

dsmh.gif

Chris R

Not exactly thrilling TV. OJ in prison for 9 years doing jack shit and then getting paroled rather uneventfully?

They could probably get two or three seasons out of everything that happened after the murder trial, leading up to the robbery trial, jail, and now parole.

Dude's gonna eat

linkboy

You're kidding yourself if you think the defense put up a flawless case in 95, they straight up fucked it up and that is why he was not guilty.

You mean the prosecution. Had the defense fucked up, OJ would be in jail for life.

Tall4Life

I guess you are going the "beyond a reasonable doubt" route?

Yep. For what happened in that botched trial by the prosecution, the verdict given was the right one. That's how the justice system should work. I feel that he was the murderer too, but we can't put people in jail because we feel that they did it.

The parole decision was also the right one

The justice system worked today and in the verdict of his murder trial

It actually didn't work either time. He shouldn't have gotten nine to thirty years for this, it is absurd. The only reason he got that is because of the murder trial.

It is a joke to say that the verdict in the murder trial is the justice system working. That trial and the justice system on display was a mockery of just about any other trial. It was a circus and the evidence showed that he should have been convicted.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
"take a knee"

You won, again. Take whatever money and family you have and live a quiet life.
francis.png

Yep. For what happened in that botched trial by the prosecution, the verdict given was the right one. That's how the justice system should work. I feel that he was the murderer too, but we can't put people in jail because we feel that they did it.

The parole decision was also the right one

The time it took to deliberate that amount of evidence don't ever convince me it was a seriously thought out decision no matter how botched the trial was

Even with the mistakes of the prosecution the overwhelming amount of evidence against him could convict anyone not in that atmosphere. The OJ trial was the ultimate failure of the justice system stemming from years of systemic racism and abuse by the police. It does the history that trial a disservice to claim the justice system worked.

Oriel

The only factor that matters, honestly.

He's probably a murderer, but the justice system found him not guilty of that crime. That case should have no impact on this one, and the fact is he's served more than enough time for his conviction.

Something the punditocracy is seemingly incapable of understanding. The judiciary HAS to be cold and devoid of emotion in arriving at verdicts. The law is the law.

Gorillaz

Part of me sees him actually speaking up against the kap stuff to have people back in his good graces especially the league

Tall4Life

It actually didn't work either time. He shouldn't have gotten nine to thirty years for this, it is absurd. The only reason he got that is because of the murder trial.

It is a joke to say that the verdict in the murder trial is the justice system working. That trial and the justice system on display was a mockery of just about any other trial. It was a circus and the evidence showed that he should have been convicted.
Didn't say the justice system worked with his guilty decision for the robbery. Said it worked today for his parole. He should be granted parole for this.

The prosecution failed massively to actually prove it was OJ, they fucked up, not the jury or the judge or anyone else. After decades of black men being thrown in jail with terrible evidence and corruption in the prosecution the right decision was made for what happened in that trial. Doesn't matter how we feel about what actually happened, it only concerns what happened within the frame of the trial.
The time it took to deliberate that amount of evidence don't ever convince me it was a seriously thought out decision no matter how botched the trial was
The jury really wanted to convict him but based on what happened in the trial they couldn't. It was simple.

"Luckiest motherfucker alive goes free," though meh I understand this decision considering they're only allowed to follow the scope in regards to the crime at hand here.
Part of me sees him actually speaking up against the kap stuff to have people back in his good graces especially the league
Well, they do love showcasing their top domestic abusers and trying to cover for them...

Didn't say the justice system worked with his guilty decision for the robbery. Said it worked today for his parole. He should be granted parole for this.

The prosecution failed massively to actually prove it was OJ, they fucked up, not the jury or the judge or anyone else. After decades of black men being thrown in jail with terrible evidence and corruption in the prosecution the right decision was made for what happened in that trial. Doesn't matter how we feel about what actually happened, it only concerns what happened within the frame of the trial.

The jury really wanted to convict him but based on what happened in the trial they couldn't. It was simple.

I don't see how you can say the justice system worked when he only got off because of a history of the justice system failing. The entire conspiracy theory behind planting evidence was bullshit but it became believable thanks to horrific LAPD history

Tall4Life

I don't see how you can say the justice system worked when he only got off because of a history of the justice system failing

The history of the justice system failing to actually provide a fair trial, especially for minorities, is what informs and makes the decision made in the murder trial important, not that it was the reason for the verdict.

I don't see how you can say the justice system worked when he only got off because of a history of the justice system failing. The entire conspiracy theory behind planting evidence was bullshit but it became believable thanks to horrific LAPD history

I don't know how he says the prosecution failed to prove their case. Had it been anyone else, anywhere else, the evidence would had convicted the person.

The history of the justice system failing to actually provide a fair trial, especially for minorities, is what informs and makes the decision made in the murder trial important, not that it was the reason for the verdict.

So because the justice system has a history of failing to provide a fair trial you toss out the fact that the evidence shows he committed the crime. Okay.

It was certainly the reason for the verdict. This isn't to blame the jurors completely. That entire trial was just the culmination of the horrendous justice system for decades

Top Bottom