• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama names Stonewall as national monument, the first in nation for LGBT rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFMOORE!

walked by this place on last friday night while on a business trip to NYC. I didn't know the significance of it. there was obviously a massive memorial to Orlando when I walked by.

FyreWulff

Good on him, now here comes the Republicans to trash this in 3......2.....1

they already have in the past

However, Republican members of Congress for decades have tried to shut down the creation of new national parks. After Franklin Roosevelt created Jackson Hole National Park, Republicans passed a 1950 law that banned the creation of any new national park in Wyoming without congressional approval. After President Carter used the law in 1978 to protect Alaskan wilderness, Congress passed a law that prevented the President from creating new national monuments in Alaska. Traditionally, Western Republicans have their campaigns financed by industries that want to use public land for profit and have been eager to protect the interests of their donors.

A couple of years ago when Obama added a bunch of California to the monument and park system, the GOP tried to make it so every new park and monument would require Congressional approval.

bremon

No thanks, you can keep him.

OT: America might be the most backwards country of the first world. Yeah sure, monuments are nice. How about treating all your citizens equally?
Let's not pretend that's a uniquely American flaw. We in Canada don't necessarily have a lot of room to criticize. I imagine most other countries have problems of their own.

On topic, I think this is a great thing, made all the sweeter that it's especially important for people who are far too under-represented.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

A couple of years ago when Obama added a bunch of California to the monument and park system, the GOP tried to make it so every new park and monument would require Congressional approval.

Conservatives who have no interest in conservation. Wonder if any of the rest of their platform will bear logical scrutiny!?

Madness

This pisses me off. Why prevent the creation of monuments and national parks? Reminds me of those crazy Oregon fuckers who took over the BLM office and tried to take back forestry land and give it to some farmers and ranchers.

FyreWulff

Conservatives who have no interest in conservation. Wonder if any of the rest of their platform will bear logical scrutiny!?

The saddest part is they are literally the inventors of the park system, one of the best ideas ever, and completely disown it now

This pisses me off. Why prevent the creation of monuments and national parks? Reminds me of those crazy Oregon fuckers who took over the BLM office and tried to take back forestry land and give it to some farmers and ranchers.

basically because GOP is rural = owned by the west = owned by speculation companies that want to get into park and get at them sweet sweet resources and oil. the president unilaterally has the power to make parks and monuments to protect land so they get mad every time a president basically blocks large swaths of land from ever being touched again.

FyreWulff

Are there many commercial establishments that are national monuments? Seems weird for some reason.

Technically Rushmore is a commercial attraction converted into a national monument, but yeah there's a few commercial buildings that were later made monuments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom