• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obi-Wan Kenobi |OT| Hello there…

NickFire

Yes but the other inquisitors putting up with her behaviour raises questions when you see how Vader swiftly deals with insubordination or underperformance. Vader also kills people who know he's Anakin or have seen him without his helm on in other canonical works.

It would seem to me that in your example Vader would've put her in charge if he didn't want anyone oppose her in her Jedi hunt.

For it to make sense the viewer must do a lot of the writers work(which usually isn't good IMO) because we don't have the full picture yet with these 2 eps.
I think you have a fair point about [most] viewers having to do some of the writer's work if they don't understand her motivations yet. I personally think there's enough about Vader in Episodes 3-6 to add some depth to why she is the way she is, but I am saying that after having already gone down the rabbit hole of Vader cannon outside of the main films. Regarding insubordination specifically, Episodes 3, 5 and 6 show us that insubordination / planned insubordination is in fact part of Vader's dna (carried over from his time as a Jedi). But other than telling Padme / Luke that they could rule together, there really is not much insubordination to be had.

As for your question about putting her in charge (great question btw), I have not seen anything that makes me think she would have been in charge by the current point in the show. Even if she was trying to curry favor / become apprentice prior to the current timeline, Vader would not be swayed by run of the mill butt kissing. But yes, I do believe Vader would have executed the other inquisitors for standing in her way. As I understand the Vader character, if he knew a Jedi was being protected by people, and someone stopped the Empire from using necessary (in his eyes) means to get them talking, he would have terminated them. And if he knew that someone found a possible rabbit to get Obi-Wan to chase, and did not immediately act on it, they'd probably be force choked into oblivion on the spot.

Razvedka

Banned
Yes but the other inquisitors putting up with her behaviour raises questions when you see how Vader swiftly deals with insubordination or underperformance. Vader also kills people who know he's Anakin or have seen him without his helm on in other canonical works.

It would seem to me that in your example Vader would've put her in charge if he didn't want anyone oppose her in her Jedi hunt.

For it to make sense the viewer must do a lot of the writers work(which usually isn't good IMO) because we don't have the full picture yet with these 2 eps.
Vader is heavy handed but fair. In all the cases where he kills someone for poor performance its typically an enormous blunder and not the first one either. He doesn't allow people with a ton of responsibility and privilege/rank to 'skate' for ineptitude.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The sentiment that "maybe these were just the really bad episodes and it will get better" reminds me of "maybe the Phantom Menace was just like, the really bad one, and Episode II & III will be better".

History repeating itself. But hey maybe this means we are in for a good Anakin vs Obi Wan battle.

Ulysses 31

Vader is heavy handed but fair. In all the cases where he kills someone for poor performance its typically an enormous blunder and not the first one either. He doesn't allow people with a ton of responsibility and privilege/rank to 'skate' for ineptitude.
True but insubordination, undermining, insulting or having any bad attitude towards your superiors wouldn't fly with him I think. The Inquisitors work for Vader and thus it seems to me that orders from the Grand Inquisitor should be considered as orders coming directly from Vader.
I think you have a fair point about [most] viewers having to do some of the writer's work if they don't understand her motivations yet. I personally think there's enough about Vader in Episodes 3-6 to add some depth to why she is the way she is, but I am saying that after having already gone down the rabbit hole of Vader cannon outside of the main films. Regarding insubordination specifically, Episodes 3, 5 and 6 show us that insubordination / planned insubordination is in fact part of Vader's dna (carried over from his time as a Jedi). But other than telling Padme / Luke that they could rule together, there really is not much insubordination to be had.

As for your question about putting her in charge (great question btw), I have not seen anything that makes me think she would have been in charge by the current point in the show. Even if she was trying to curry favor / become apprentice prior to the current timeline, Vader would not be swayed by run of the mill butt kissing. But yes, I do believe Vader would have executed the other inquisitors for standing in her way. As I understand the Vader character, if he knew a Jedi was being protected by people, and someone stopped the Empire from using necessary (in his eyes) means to get them talking, he would have terminated them. And if he knew that someone found a possible rabbit to get Obi-Wan to chase, and did not immediately act on it, they'd probably be force choked into oblivion on the spot.
See my reply above.

No doubt eps 3-6 will reveal why she so eager to hunt Obi-Wan but lets hope it something that doesn't diminish the characters of Obi-Wan or Vader. So far it's still a bit of a mystery to my why the Grand Inquisitor puts up with Reva's attitude so much when there's a very tight chain of command. There's no indication so far in the show that Vader would be fine with this sort of behavior from a subordinate.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
True but insubordination, undermining, insulting or having any bad attitude towards your superiors wouldn't fly with him I think. The Inquisitors work for Vader and thus it seems to me that orders from the Grand Inquisitor should be considered as orders coming directly from Vader.

See my reply above.

No doubt eps 3-6 will reveal why she so eager to hunt Obi-Wan but lets hope it something that doesn't diminish the characters of Obi-Wan or Vader. So far it's still a bit of a mystery to my why the Grand Inquisitor puts up with Reva's attitude so much when there's a very tight chain of command. There's no indication so far in the show that Vader would be fine with this sort of behavior from a subordinate.
It’s pretty obvious. Either she was one of the kids at the start or was related to one of the kids at the start and Blames obi - wan for the attack or not being there or some shit I like that.

Don't think back then companies also did all these veiled attacks on fans either.

I have been enjoying the show despite the issues I have. But this just makes me roll my eyes. I seen the Actress who play Reva in other stuff and she's totally fine but here the acting from her is horrendous. I think it's the scripts fault. The whole racism angle makes me laugh

I think that Disney is going to go out of business in the next 5 to 10 years due to the whole Feminazi/Woke Politics

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

It’s pretty obvious. Either she was one of the kids at the start or was related to one of the kids at the start and Blames obi - wan for the attack or not being there or some shit I like that.
That's what I suspect too(seems a bit too obvious) but that alone doesn't explain the Inquisitors putting up with her attitude as much as they do. That could also explain how she knows Vader = Anakin if she saw him there but then there's still the issue of Vader never sensing that she knows more of him than she should.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I feel sorry for the guy cast as Ezra in the Ahsoka show. The internet fan-casted the guy from Aladdin and he was feeding into it, when Lucasfilm cast an unknown Indian actor who's filming as Ezra right now. Poor guy is going to be harassed endlessly because he's not who the internet cast in their headcanon.

Venuspower

My biggest issue was the inquisitors who thought she was going too far. Vader would have relieved them of duty with extreme prejudice if he witnessed that.

You have to bear in mind that the empire was still relatively young. At the time of Kenobi, there was still an intact senate. Many people continued to have a great life. To put it bluntly: Palpatine did not want any bad press back then. Reva, on the other hand, just chopped off the hand of a normal inhabitant. At that time, Papa Palps simply did not want to see such things in relation to the normal people.

The Empire only showed its true face to the galaxy when it blew up Alderaan with the Death Star.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
You have to bear in mind that the empire was still relatively young. At the time of Kenobi, there was still an intact senate. Many people continued to have a great life. To put it bluntly: Palpatine did not want any bad press back then. Reva, on the other hand, just chopped off the hand of a normal inhabitant. At that time, Papa Palps simply did not want to see such things in relation to the normal people.

The Empire only showed its true face to the galaxy when it blew up Alderaan with the Death Star.

Yup it's like people weren't paying attention in Rogue One (which is 10 years after this) when Vader explains that the Senate was told Jedha was just a mining accident.

sol_bad

If the writing was better and fleshed out her character a little more, like some clues what her beef is with Obi-Wan, I think the angry black women trope would've been a lot easier to overlook.

But that may still come in the remaining episodes.

I don't think the writing is an issue. The plan is obviously to reveal at some point why Reva hates Obi-Wan. Not putting everything on the table from the get go does not equal poorly written. She just isn't delivering her lines in a satisfactory performance.

Ulysses 31

I don't think the writing is an issue. The plan is obviously to reveal at some point why Reva hates Obi-Wan. Not putting everything on the table from the get go does not equal poorly written. She just isn't delivering her lines in a satisfactory performance.
Might be a pacing preference with me but after 1/3 of the series I expect to have seen some more clues of what drives Reva than what we got so far because now she's still a bit on the one note side with her demeanor.

Some clues != everything on the table. I've not described the writing as poor yet since we've only seen 1/3 of the series.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Thinking about it more, I can see the whole concept working better had it still been a movie without all the drawn out padding.

Imagine if they had to tell this whole story in a few hours, how much would be cut, and the execution was only just 20% better you'd have a decent SW movie.

Xenon

After coming out of The Force Awakens I said that Kylo Ben was a horrible villain, basically an emo brat. It was nice to have an opinion about a fictional character without worrying about a billion dollar company trying to besmirch my character for it.

I hope these actors eventually figure out that taking roles written under the guidance of diversity committees isn't doing them any favors. Though after seeing the response on social media from the actress I'd have to say it was by far her best performance.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
After coming out of The Force Awakens I said that Kylo Ben was a horrible villain, basically an emo brat. It was nice to have an opinion about a fictional character without worrying about a billion dollar company trying to besmirch my character for it.

I hope these actors eventually figure out that taking roles written under the guidance of diversity committees isn't doing them any favors. Though after seeing the response on social media from the actress I'd have to say it was by far her best performance.

Yea, got called racist on Twitter for not enjoying how the actress portraying Reva is doing. Me, the guy who can probably count on one hand people I have met who are more progressive than I am.

But that's social media these days. Depending upon the service it's one non-stop purity test, this way or that.

NickFire

I completely disagree with you on this. 10 years into his reign I just can’t see Palpatine preventing his people from getting a strongly suspected jedi collaborator from revealing the jedis location. And as for Obi-wan specifically, I think Palps would want him dead by any means necessary. He never underestimated the Jedi. His only mistake was under estimating Vader at the end,

sol_bad

FUEOAUeWYAYgn7X

FUEOAUeXEAAC_8Q

I wonder where they got that from?

Oh.

UxD91tP.png
7gAh1xv.png

I didn't reply to this earlier. I didn't realise there were racist jackasses over Reva but should have known. Now knowing this, anyone with half a brain cell would realise that Disney aren't attacking anyone and anyone that dislikes the actors role because they simply didn't like her acting isn't being talked to with that Tweet. If you are saying she is a diversity hire though, that's 100% racist because you have absolutely nothing to back up what you're saying. If a white man was hired and didn't work out for the role, no one would say anything about his race.

Hugare

*sigh*

Now racists will surely change their minds

Stop paying attention to them, ffs

Shit will never change if for every racist nobody that coments something mean freaking Obi Wan will give them some lecture

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I didn't reply to this earlier. I didn't realise there were racist jackasses over Reva but should have known. Now knowing this, anyone with half a brain cell would realise that Disney aren't attacking anyone and anyone that dislikes the actors role because they simply didn't like her acting isn't being talked to with that Tweet. If you are saying she is a diversity hire though, that's 100% racist because you have absolutely nothing to back up what you're saying. If a white man was hired and didn't work out for the role, no one would say anything about his race.
Eh, it's a bit like the woke Gillette ad. Sure you can say "Bro, it was only aimed at men with toxic masculinity." but it still comes off as a bit condescending. Do people really need to be told not to be racist? Does Disney think a true racist really would be swayed by them saying not to be racist? I doubt it. It seems more like a virtue signal to me.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
They're supporting their actor, who is being subjected to racist harassment and bullying on social media. If you aren't involved in that, why would you take that as an attack on yourself?

Last edited:

Pejo

Watched the first ep tonight, it was shit. That child Leia chase scene was absolutely embarrassing.

Hanging the Jedi in the town square in a strap corset instead of a head on a pike or by the neck, who the fuck is that scaring? He didn't even look dead.

For as good as the first few eps of Mando was, this is that - but opposite.

Toons

*sigh*

Now racists will surely change their minds

Stop paying attention to them, ffs

Shit will never change if for every racist nobody that coments something mean freaking Obi Wan will give them some lecture

I disagree. I think a lot of these racist bastards(trust me there are harsher words I'd like to use) convince themselves that they are welcomed and their behavior is condoned by the higher ups, or even that they are somehow the last arbiters of the "real" star wars and try to draw a line between their favorite area and the new ones on the basis of more minority people being seen in different shoes.

I think the official brand standing in support even of just one indivdual whos facing some sadly expected racism, goes a long way. It both galvanizes those who are on the right side of the issue(and there IS a wrong and right side, which is also something a lot of racists try to obfuscate by saying it's just a "difference of opinion"), and its also the right thing to do. And I like that they were accused of just doing it for PR, but then Ewan McGregor who's the face of the series and behind its existence also lend a hand in. It really warmed my heart to see that, and I can't imagine how good that feels for Moses.

That enough makes it worth it to me. Its a small act of goodness, but sometimes a small act is all you need. Will it end racism? No. But it doesn't have to, I dont think. I think just seeing the official outlets back one of their leads and take their sides against the fans is something you dont see very often and something we need more of.

.....anyways.

I LOVED epsiode 1. I thought it was basically perfect save for minor nitpick. The tones and visuals and acting were there. Episode a wasn't as good, but it was still strong. I'm looking forward to this series.

Also I thought Reva was easily the best star wars villain in the last few years of the franchise. I liked her boldness, and her ambition. Obviously she's a villain who probably won't survive the series, but her scene speaking to the crowd is very memorable to me and stuck out even amongst the Ewan centric ones.

Of course its ok for people to not like her. I dont see the issue with her but everyone has their opinions. But you should be able to separate it from these other things and boil it down to legitimate criticism. That goes for any character.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member

Normally I would agree with you but Disney came out swinging the R card before the show even released. Seems clear to me that they knew there were issues with Reva and this was the preemptive strike.

I don't see how anyone can stand by that character and how she is portrayed. The failures began in the writing room, carried over to casting, MUST have been glaringly obvious on day 1 of her shoot, and yet here we are.

Barring some sort of nigh miraculous reversal Reva is gonna torch an entire type of character from existence.

While there are always some jackelopes hitting her skin tone, that can't explain even a fraction of the negative response. It's not like they did this when Mando had a black villain or when Fett had many POC leads. It's not about the actors race specifically, more about the new culture of being unable to point out the flaws and say "STOP, rethink this!" because the traditional voices of experience and wisdom are silenced.

Toons

Normally I would agree with you but Disney came out swinging the R card before the show even released. Seems clear to me that they knew there were issues with Reva and this was the preemptive strike.

Yea.... this didn't happen.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yea.... this didn't happen.
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/05/27/obi-wan-kenobi-moses-ingram/

Articles like this released the day of the shows release. All written up and ready to go.

"Ingram is a Black woman, and she revealed in an interview with The Independent that LucasFilm forewarned her about the racist harassment she was likely to expect following her casting.

“It was something that Lucasfilm actually got in front of, and said: ‘This is a thing that, unfortunately, likely will happen. But we are here to help you; you can let us know when it happens,'” she said."

The Independent article is behind a pay wall but it came out a week before release.
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...n-kenobi-moses-ingram-interview-b2088811.html

Sure seems like they were laying the ground work nice and hard to me. Did Giancarlo Esposito do a similar press run? Ming na Wen? Temura Morrison? Rosario Dawson?

Plenty POC in star wars of late, but this is the only time I've heard of this pre-release stuff.

Xenon

I get this and even agree with denouncing the comments. The problem I have is there seems to be a conscious effort to lop this onto a group of "fans" We don't know who sent it. Sadly there is a case to be made that the people who sent it weren't even racist. There are too many people thirsting and profiting on any racial issue. Not to mention the fact that putting this out there is going to make many people think twice about saying anything negative about her performance, and it's going to encourage virtue signaling by praising it.

Hugare

I disagree. I think a lot of these racist bastards(trust me there are harsher words I'd like to use) convince themselves that they are welcomed and their behavior is condoned by the higher ups, or even that they are somehow the last arbiters of the "real" star wars and try to draw a line between their favorite area and the new ones on the basis of more minority people being seen in different shoes.

I think the official brand standing in support even of just one indivdual whos facing some sadly expected racism, goes a long way. It both galvanizes those who are on the right side of the issue(and there IS a wrong and right side, which is also something a lot of racists try to obfuscate by saying it's just a "difference of opinion"), and its also the right thing to do. And I like that they were accused of just doing it for PR, but then Ewan McGregor who's the face of the series and behind its existence also lend a hand in. It really warmed my heart to see that, and I can't imagine how good that feels for Moses.

That enough makes it worth it to me. Its a small act of goodness, but sometimes a small act is all you need. Will it end racism? No. But it doesn't have to, I dont think. I think just seeing the official outlets back one of their leads and take their sides against the fans is something you dont see very often and something we need more of.

.....anyways.

I LOVED epsiode 1. I thought it was basically perfect save for minor nitpick. The tones and visuals and acting were there. Episode a wasn't as good, but it was still strong. I'm looking forward to this series.

Also I thought Reva was easily the best star wars villain in the last few years of the franchise. I liked her boldness, and her ambition. Obviously she's a villain who probably won't survive the series, but her scene speaking to the crowd is very memorable to me and stuck out even amongst the Ewan centric ones.

Of course its ok for people to not like her. I dont see the issue with her but everyone has their opinions. But you should be able to separate it from these other things and boil it down to legitimate criticism. That goes for any character.
We will have to agree to disagree

Because I think that not giving a damn about these fuckers make them feel insignificant and powerless. They would scream at nothing.

Disney keeping on making successful series like Obi Wan with minorities in it, over and over again, would be a much stronger message about how insignificant those idiots really are. They would feel completely impotent.

But by giving them attention, they feel like they matter. "Look, Disney tweeting about it because we made some noise. Even Ewan making a video about it. Maybe we can make Disney eliminite minorities from their future series if we make enough noise".

About the character: I'm interested in knowing more about her backstory, but right now, she is one note, being angry all the time and acting reckless.

She doesnt look menacing, she looks desperate. Terribly written character so far, not the actress fault

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
But by giving them attention, they feel like they matter. "Look, Disney tweeting about it because we made some noise. Even Ewan making a video about it. Maybe we can make Disney eliminite minorities from their future series if we make enough noise".
Nah they’re just playing the victim card.

GD133cU.jpg

Alex11

What`s with all this racist crap? Who the hell in 2022 cares what color an actor`s skin is? She`s just poorly written, played, maybe her fault, maybe not, maybe writer`s fault, director`s etc. For all I care she can be green with red spots, the point is, so far she`s not interesting. I really can`t believe what I`m reading.

Last edited:
For me, the writing and directing is totally the issue. Her line delivery is so out of place for the Star Wars universe. All the characters have a manner of speaking but hers is almost too modern to make sense. I think she's got the right look, maybe the demeanor is a bit overdone, but the lines and delivery are trash.

Venuspower

I completely disagree with you on this.

Well, it is not even my opinion. That is how it is in the canon. It is just that Palpatine/the Empire has not yet shown its true face to the general public.

And this was not only recently established in the canon, as described in this comment:

Yup it's like people weren't paying attention in Rogue One (which is 10 years after this) when Vader explains that the Senate was told Jedha was just a mining accident.

Last edited:

Aurelius

Because I think that not giving a damn about these fuckers make them feel insignificant and powerless. They would scream at nothing.
That's how I feel about Star Wars these day. Obi Wan sounds just as mediocre as Book of Boba Fett.

Toons

We will have to agree to disagree

Disney keeping on making successful series like Obi Wan with minorities in it, over and over again, would be a much stronger message about how insignificant those idiots really are. They would feel completely impotent.

But they do matter. They matter because they hurt people. They hurt individuals and they contribute to mindsets that hurt people on a larger scale. One of the guys who probably would've been posting some of that stuff killed 10 people in a store last month. No motive other than abject hate. Did his hate "not matter"? He made it matter to dozens of people.

Saying that they don't matter is a nice sentiment but it isnt true. They shouldn't matter, but they do. Because this hate doesn't just go away when ignored. When ignored, it fetters until it becomes something real, tangible action that causes irreparable harm.

About the character: I'm interested in knowing more about her backstory, but right now, she is one note, being angry all the time and acting reckless.

She doesnt look menacing, she looks desperate. Terribly written character so far, not the actress fault
Looking desperation isn't terrible writing unless that isn't how she's intended to look. And it's pretty clear she is intended to seem desperate, given that... like 3 characters explicitly tell her(and us) this.

Being angry and reckless are fine traits for a villain to have to drive the plot forward. What will matter is the reason why she's angry and reckless.

Last edited:

Toons

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/05/27/obi-wan-kenobi-moses-ingram/

Articles like this released the day of the shows release. All written up and ready to go.

"Ingram is a Black woman, and she revealed in an interview with The Independent that LucasFilm forewarned her about the racist harassment she was likely to expect following her casting.

“It was something that Lucasfilm actually got in front of, and said: ‘This is a thing that, unfortunately, likely will happen. But we are here to help you; you can let us know when it happens,'” she said."

Ok? Clearly... they were correct. That hasn't nothing to do with them playing an "R card" that has to do with them warning one of their employees thT they will be harassed. Any company would do this for an employee they were knowingly exposing to a hostile environment.

The Independent article is behind a pay wall but it came out a week before release.
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...n-kenobi-moses-ingram-interview-b2088811.html

Sure seems like they were laying the ground work nice and hard to me. Did Giancarlo Esposito do a similar press run? Ming na Wen? Temura Morrison? Rosario Dawson?

Plenty POC in star wars of late, but this is the only time I've heard of this pre-release stuff.

Not every PoC gets the same treatment. And it's entirely possible that they became more aware of this as the number of PoC increased, lest... they wouldn't feel the need to warn the actress. But this is all speculation anyway.

Top Bottom