• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obscure Wii Games worth checking out?

EDIT: List added

So while I'm close to having every Wii game I could ever want and have well over 120 161 total I felt since I'm this far in I may as well have as a complete a collection possible.

So if there's any obscure Wii (or WiiWare) game you think is worth a look could you post it and write why?

There's a B2G1 sale on used stuff at GameStop so I'm going to pick up some titles I've decided to get some titles I still don't have like Mario Super Sluggers and the horrific Donkey Kong Barrel Blast.

I'm also going to get all the Guitar Hero games too because I got the instruments stupid cheap a few months ago, ten bucks for a drum kit and I can still play it on Wii U.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Edit:

Here is a very quick list of what I own based on another thread that listed 140 games for Wii. I'm pretty tired so I may not be able to update it fully until I get some sleep.

Okay now this list is probably only missing one or two things. I own a lot more games than I thought.

Wii Games I Own
1. A Boy and His Blob
2. Arc Rise Fantasia
3. Band Hero
4. Baroque
5. Batalion Wars 2
6. Batman: The Brave and the Bold
7. Bit.Trip Complete
8. Blast Works: Build, Trade, Destroy
9. Bleach: Shattered Blade
10. Boogie
11. Boom Blox
12. Boom Blox Bash Party
13. Bully
14. Calling
15. Call of Duty: Black Ops
16. Call of Duty: World at War
17. Castlevania Judgement
18. Conduit, The
19. Conduit 2
20. Cursed Mountain
21. Dance Dance Revolution
22. Dance Dance Revolution II
23. Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party
24. Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party 2
25. Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party 3
26. Data East Arcade Classics
27. de Blob
28. de Blob 2
29. Dead Rising: Chop Til You Drop
30. Deadly Creatures
31. Dewey's Adventure
32. Disaster: Day of Crisis
33. Disney Guilty Party
34. Disney ' s Sing It Family Hits
35. DJ Hero
36. DJ Hero 2
37. Dokapon Kingdom
Dominoe Rally
38. Dragonball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3
39. Dragonball: Revenge of King Piccolo
40. EA Sports Active NFL Training
41. Elebits
42. Endless Ocean
43. Endless Ocean: Blue World
44. Epic Mickey
45. Epic Mickey 2
46. Excitebots: Trick Racing
47. Exerbeat
48. Fatal Frame 2 (PAL)
49. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
50. Fishing Resort
51. Fortune Street
52. Flip's Twisted World
53. Fragile Dreams
54. Geometry Wars: Galaxies
55. Ghost Squad
56. Gunblade NY & LA Machine guns Arcade Hits Pack
57. Grand Slam Tennis
58. Guilty Gear XX Accent Core
59. Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law
House of the Dead 2 and 3
60. House of the Dead: Overkill
61. King of Fighters: The Orochi Saga, The
Kirby's Dream Collection
62. Kirbys Epic Yarn
63. Kirby's Return to DreamLand
64. Klonoa
65. Last Story, The
66. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, The
67. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, The
Lego Rock Band
68. Let's Tap
69. Link's Crossbow Training
70. Little King Story
71. Lost in Shadow
72. Mad Dog Mcgree: Gunslinger Pack
73. MadWorld
74. Marble Saga: Kororinpa
75. Mario Strikers Charged
Mario Super Sluggers
76. Metal Slug Anthology
77. Metroid: Other M
78. Metroid Prime Trilogy
79. MLB Power Pros 2008 (I'm don't remember if I have it, if not I'll get it)
80. Mortal Kombat Armageddon
81. Munchables, The
82. Muramasa: The Demon Blade
83. Mushroom Men: The Spore Wars
84. Namco Museum Megamix
85. Naruto Shuppuden: Clash of Ninja Revolution 3
Need For Speed: Nitro
86. NHL Slapshot
87. Nights: Journey of Dreams
88. Ninjabread Man
89. Ninja Reflex
90. No More Heroes
91. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
92. Okami
93. Onechanbara: Bikini Zombie Slayers
94. One Piece: Unlimited Adventure
95. One Piece: Unlimited Cruise Part 1 (PAL)
96. Opoona
97. Order Up!
98. Overlord: Dark Legend
99. Pac-Man Party
100. Pandora's Tower
101. New Play Control Pikmin 2
102. Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands
Pro Evolution Soccer 2013
103. Punch Out!! (Wii U download)
104. Rabbids Go Home
105. Rabbids Travel
106. Raving Rabbids Party Collection
107. Raving Rabbids Travel in Time
108. Rayman Origins
109. Red Steel
110. Red Steel 2
111. Resident Evil: The Umbrealla Chronicles
112. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
113. Rhythm Heaven Fever
114. Rock Band
115. Rock Band 2
116. Rock Band 3
117. Rock Band Beatles
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny
118. Sakura Wars: So Long My Love
119. Samurai & Max Save the World
120. Sam & Max Beyond Time and Space
121. Samba de Amigo
122. Samurai Shodown Anthology
123. Sega Superstars Tennis
124. Shaun White Snowboarding: World Stage
125. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
126. Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces
127. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
128. SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1
129. Sonic & Sega All-Star Racing
130. Sonic Colors
131. Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic and the Black Knight
Speed Racer: The Movie
132. Spray
133. Spyborgs
134. SSX Blur
135. Super Mario Galaxy
136. Super Mario Galaxy 2
137. Super Paper Mario
138. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
139. Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
140. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
141. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash-Up
142. Tenchu: Shadow Assassins
143. Tetris Party Deluxe
144. Tiger Woods PGA Tour '12
145. Tournament of Legends
146. Trackmania: Build to Race
147. Trauma Center: New Blood
148. Trauma Center: Second Opinion
149. Trauma Team
150. Victorious Boxer Revolution
151. We Love Golf!!
152. Wario Land: Shake It
153. WarioWare: Smooth Moves
154. Wii Fit
155. Wii Fit Plus
156. Wii Music
157. Wii Play
158. Wii Sports
159. Wii Sports Resort
160. Xenoblade Chronicles
161. Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros Treasure

WiiWare Titles (Wii Mode on Wii U)
Bubble Bobble Plus
Castlevania Rebirth
Cave Story
Doc Louis Punch-Out
Lit Line
Motor Heroz
Muscle March
Same Game
Tomena Sanner
TV Show King 2
Vampire Crystals
Warioware: D.I.Y.
You, Me and the Cubes
Zombie Panic in Wonderland

Virtual Console (Wii mode on Wii U)
Art of Fighting 3
Bomberman '94
Fighters History Dynamite
The King of Fighters '99
Ironclad
The Last Blade
The Last Blade 2
Nam-1975
Ninja Masters
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
Sengoku 3
World Heroes Perfect

Garlador

Red Steel 2
Pandora's Tower
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Dead Space Extraction
House of the Dead: Overkill
Zack & Wiki
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
No More Heroes 1&2
Little King's Story

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If you like Japanese RPGs for their gameplay, Arc Rise Fantasia is pretty solid. The voice acting gets a bad rap, but really all of Ignition's localization effort was pretty poor. The characters aren't too great, especially the lead females. They are awful.

The battle system is fun though, the game gets reasonably challenging, and weapon and customization system is really neat. As someone who doesn't care much about story, those elements were easily enough to carry the game for me and leave me with a positive impression.

But if you have 120 Wii games you probably already have it.

Zack & Wiki
Another Code R (PAL & Japan only.)
Opoona
Kororinpa 1 & 2
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
Endless Ocean 1 & 2
Little King's Story

Don't bother with GH World Tour or anything besides Warriors of Rock or Metallica, really. Maybe Smash Hits if you never played any GH before. Avoid Van Halen at all costs.

Get Rhythm Heaven if you don't have it.

Dryk

Deadly Creatures
Little King's Story
Zack & Wiki

I got Deadly Creatures, Little King's Story and Disaster: Day of Crisis for $30 on a whim. That was a $30 well spent.

Slermy

If you like horror games, I had fun going through ObsCure: The Aftermath co-op. It's pretty cheesy, but we had fun with it.

Are you in Europe? If so, try to hunt down Another Code R and Disaster: Day of Crisis.

Oh, and while Donkey Kong Barrel Blast/Jet Race is ass, New Play Control version of Jungle Beat controls really nice and has additional content.

Cursed Mountain is a pretty good survival horror title. The combat is a mess but the atmosphere is pretty great.

Lost in Blue: Shipwrecked and Fragile Dreams are also worth a try.

-Fishing Resort
-Opoona
-Dokapon Kingdon
-Let's Tap
-Gunblade NY & LA Machineguns Arcade Hits Pack
-Order Up!
-Dewey's Adventure
-Dawn of Discovery

Trust me, I'm an expert.

And let me play devil's advocate for people recommending Deadly Creatures. The game would be pretty good, but the motion controls are terrible. It's one of those "waggle to do stuff that should have been button presses" games, which hurts it more because it's an action game.

Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon is a really good rogue-like FF spinoff starring Chocobo. It's probably one of the highest quality spinoff titles Square Enix has done IMO.

-Incredible remixes of classic FF songs that only appear in this game
-Great production values. You can tell this game had a lot of effort put into the visuals.
-Lots of randomized rogue-like dungeons, but also a rather large town to explore with many people to talk to. Gets away from the act of just traversing dungeons...and there are even fun minigames to play as well.
-Main character uses a version of the job system from FF V and others.
-Addictive gameplay that has you wanting to try to clear just one more floor. And I haven't liked any of these kinds of games until I tried this one.
-An actual story with voiced dialog and cinematics.

Avoid Crystal Bearers like the plague. It's gutter trash.

SO I actually do own almost all the games listed including some imports.

Deadly Creatures
De Blob
Cursed Mountain
We Ski and Snowboard

Don't have We Ski but do have quite a few Balance Board games including Shaun White.

Zack & Wiki
Another Code R (PAL & Japan only.)
Opoona
Kororinpa 1 & 2
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
Endless Ocean 1 & 2
Little King's Story

is Kororinpa 1 needed if I have 2?

I hated Another Code on DS but loved Hotel Dusk. I should import it.

If you like horror games, I had fun going through ObsCure: The Aftermath co-op. It's pretty cheesy, but we had fun with it.

Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon is a really good rogue-like FF spinoff starring Chocobo. It's probably one of the highest quality spinoff titles Square Enix has done IMO.

-Incredible remixes of classic FF songs that only appear in this game
-Great production values. You can tell this game had a lot of effort put into the visuals.
-Lots of randomized rogue-like dungeons, but also a rather large town to explore with many people to talk to. Gets away from the act of just traversing dungeons...and there are even fun minigames to play as well.
-Main character uses a version of the job system from FF V and others.
-Addictive gameplay that has you wanting to try to clear just one more floor. And I haven't liked any of these kinds of games until I tried this one.
-An actual story with voiced dialog and cinematics.

Avoid Crystal Bearers like the plague. It's gutter trash.

I was going to say thanks some much for the detailed description but I got to the end and you said Crystal Bearers was trash. I FUCKING LOVE CRYSTAL BEARER! It's such an amazing diamond in the rough. I'll eventually make a thread on why it totally deserved 6's but is still incredible.

As for Guitar Hero the games are all mostly under $5 With $10 being the high point. I might as well get them all for $14.

I misread his comment and thought he only got the drums. If they got a guitar, absolutely get 3.

And you should definitely get Rock Band 1-3 if you haven't played those, they're cheap.

I also bought Rock Band 2 and 3 and the Pro Instruments years ago. I recently saw an official Guitar Hero guitar and drums for $5 and $10 and said fuck it.

Fragile Dreams.

My favorite game of all time. On the Japanese guide, soundtrack and Epilogue manga.

Big One

Banned
Little King's Story - Legitimately an amazing game. I think there's a Vita/PSP port but not sure if it's English.

Zack & Wiki - One of the better uses of motion controls on the system. Great puzzle game as well.

Final Fantasy - Crystal Chronicles: My Life As A King - One of the funnest cutesy sim games ever.

PensOwl

Banned
I've actually been thinking of doing the same thing as you, OP. The Wii had a huge variety of odd games to check out, and the library is incredibly underrated.

And after seeing this with regards to Fragile Dreams:

My favorite game of all time. On the Japanese guide, soundtrack and Epilogue manga.

I'd love to hear any recommendations you have.

Teknoman

Oopona, Zack and Wiki, Wario Land Shake It, Sin and Punishment 2, Shiren the Wanderer, Chocobos mysterious dungeon. That shooter collection.

Oh and Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

I'm sure you already have this game, but Bully is awesome! Open-world game that takes place in a private school and the town that surrounds it.

I found both Excite Truck and Excite Bots to be shockingly good and I'm not typically a fan of racing games, though neither of them are very typically.

The admiration for Zack & Wiki in here is worth heeding. It was a clever and engaging point-and-click puzzle adventure game in an era when everybody was still busy lamenting the death of the point-and-click puzzle adventure game. It's incredible to think that only a few years ago we had a Capcom that supported quirky one-offs like this, prestige ports like Okami, and revivals like Mega Man 9.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Zack & Wiki
A Boy and his Blob

2368677-8724006977-BoyAn.gif

Orayn

Baroque, it's a neat (but janky) roguelike dungeon crawler with a unique setting and strange story.

Little King's Story - Legitimately an amazing game. I think there's a Vita/PSP port but not sure if it's English.

Zack & Wiki - One of the better uses of motion controls on the system. Great puzzle game as well.

Final Fantasy - Crystal Chronicles: My Life As A King - One of the funnest cutesy sim games ever.

Have it on Wii and Just bought the Vita port that make some weird changes.

Will eventually begrudgingly get My Life as King but it having $24 DLC stings. What I think is more crazy is the sequel having $57 worth of DLC. That is too the point of craziness considering the entry price to the game.

Hmmm of all those i never tried Opoona, i just looked it up and it does look right up my alley... hopefully it's not too long though, i actually prefer shorter games these days...

I found both Excite Truck and Excite Bots to be shockingly good and I'm not typically a fan of racing games, though neither of them are very typically.

I'm sure you already have this game, but Bully is awesome! Open-world game that takes place in a private school and the town that surrounds it.

No More Heroes 1 and 2, Madworld, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Muramasa.

Zack & Wiki
A Boy and his Blob

2368677-8724006977-BoyAn.gif

Baroque, it's a neat (but janky) roguelike dungeon crawler with a unique setting and strange story.

Oopona, Zack and Wiki, Wario Land Shake It, Sin and Punishment 2, Shiren the Wanderer, Chocobos mysterious dungeon. That shooter collection.

Oh and Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

Own it all except Shiren. Thanks for the reminder. That's what this thread is for.

Dawn of Discovery. Seriously, not even the developers (Ubisoft?) Know of it's existance.

Second mention of this. Looks like I'm getting it.

Zekes!

OP you are right about the Crystal Bearer being a pretty cool game.

It's got some really cool ideas, and even if the execution is pretty poor, it's still a really interesting game. Too bad we'll never get a sequel

tkscz

Red Steel 2
Pandora's Tower
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Dead Space Extraction
Zack & Wiki
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
No More Heroes 1&2
Little King's Story

Came to post all of these, especially RS2.

PtM

Banned
I'll throw in Spores Mushroom Men.
Maybe also The Kore Gang, which for me turned out boring.

leroidys

I'm assuming you already have things like Little King's Story, Battalion Wars, Rhythm Heaven, Zack & Wiki, Link's Crossbow Training, etc if you have 120 games...

So for some really obscure recommendations- We Love Golf is a pretty good golf game in the vein of hot shots and mario golf (same developer). It also has all sorts of Capcom costumes if you're into that (lord knows I am).

Daigoro

shit, thanks to this thread for reminding me of the main reason i ever wanted a Wii.

i just bought S&P2. finally. still dont own a Wii though lol.

ChrisD

We Ski was a really cool game. It's sequel, We Ski and Snowboard was a lot different, but it's also worth checking out. Very laid-back games to sit down and enjoy, even if not in the traditional game-y sense.

El Odio

Banned
de Blob is the only game I own for Wii that I rarely see mentioned on this forum. There's forced waggle and the camera can be iffy at times but it's probably my one of my favorite games form last gen for the OST alone.

OP you are right about the Crystal Bearer being a pretty cool game.

It's got some really cool ideas, and even if the execution is pretty poor, it's still a really interesting game. Too bad we'll never get a sequel

Right. The interaction system was pretty nuts.

All they had to do was make the 100 achievement system tied to NPC quests and the game would have scored at least a point higher.

I mean there are like 14 optional boss monsters the game doesn't even hint to you about. Incredible game system let done but way too open ended execution.

Still the best motion combat system I've played in terms of replicating you actions. You can feel you sword clanging against anything when you wave a move or Wii Remote. But Layle was telekineticly flinging stuff with his arms like you. Felt great smashing people into the ground.

The vita port is in english and its better than the Wii version.

I beg to disagree. Not only are there performance issues with large crowds as well as a lot of expensive cosmetic DLC.

But there are some massive artistic changes:

From This:

To This

Call of Duty games - if only since they newest three are the last online games still up on the Wii,

For single player stuff Skate It is really cool Oh, and The Munchables. Disaster Day of Crisis if you want to import.

Oh yeah Elebits is essential. Loved that game so much when it came out.

Ones that haven't been said:

Eledees
Red Steel 2
Lost in Shadow
Cursed Mountain
Wario Ware
Muscle March
Kirby Epic Yarn
Kirby Adventure
Dead Space: Extraction
Mario Strikers Charged