• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ocelot in MGSV is so god damn boring.

I can see where you're coming from. I actually kind of liked the grounded approached it took. But I agree it still needed some more trademark MGS charm to it story wise.

Yeah, I just kept trying to find reasons to care and just kept coming up short. If they wanted to make it more grounded it needed much, much better writing, dialogue and three-dimensional characters. It had none of that but the story was still bizarro world and thus a conflicted, unsure of itself tone.

Sucks that pretty much everyone in that game except for Skull Face and Huey are absolute garbage characters outside of cassette tapes. Didn't make it any better when so many people went "Don't worry about the tapes, it's just extra stuff" leading others to more disappointment.

*cassette tape clicks*

Venom: mrn that forum thread

Ocelot: Boss, our intel team has dug up some info on that. It all starts with our friend Two Words. Reports indicate that he

*five minutes later*

But his plan... didn't work. See, the explanation is that

*six minutes later*

And that's... the whole story.

Venom: rm and the replies

Ocelot: We'll check those out as well. Be careful, Boss.

Ocelot wasn't horrible, but he was totally forthcoming with his intentions, and since him being a quadruple agent is most of his characterization in other games, he felt empty. His adoration of Big Boss renders him a much less interesting character when you're playing as Big Boss.

Griss

Every time I see someone remark that Ocelot was boring in MGSV I say to myself 'Wait a second... Holy shit, Ocelot was in MGSV!' He was that boring.

Only good character in the entire thing was Kaz. He was awesome but he couldn't carry the whole show on his own.

ref

Every time I see someone remark that Ocelot was boring in MGSV I say to myself 'Wait a second... Holy shit, Ocelot was in MGSV!' He was that boring.

Only good character in the entire thing was Kaz. He was awesome but he couldn't carry the whole show on his own.

I agree, Ocelot felt so out of place, and to me didn't even feel like Ocelot, more like Troy Baker.

God damn it.

Spinluck

They should've made him a buddy instead of Mr. Exposition/Walkthrough.

I didn't really mind him, but MGS3 still had the best Ocelot, characters, and story.

Kindekuma

Banned
Ocelot's role was to be a lot more neutral in V than the other titles. His whole purpose was to help Venom
build up Diamond Dogs while the real Big Boss creates the true Outer Heaven.

I have to agree. Kaz stood out as the only solid character in the entire game really.

Reebot

They should've made him a buddy instead of Mr. Exposition/Walkthrough.

I didn't really mind him, but MGS3 still had the best Ocelot, characters, and story.

MGS 3 still king of MGS.

Not even a hammered Keifer could dethrone it.

The voice acting is very inconsistent. At certain points he sounds just like Joel.

Baker mentions in interviews and on twitter being given explicit direction to that effect. Kojima really liked TLoU.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I saw this game as more or less the bird's eye view of Big Boss's mercenary unit. It wasn't the movielike story of individual characters. It was a macro view.. Almost like it were the spinoff strategy game or something.

It was deficient if you expect specific things from a Metal Gear storyline. But for my personal expectations (and I say this in many MGSV threads): I believed them when they wrapped up the series with MGS4. I believed them when they said V would be it's own thing. Some people clearly thought it was 'game on' again, but I didn't. I was not let down by the vacuum where the story should be.

I still wish it were finished. That's a different topic. But in no draft of this game do I think there was more to the likes of Ocelot or Miller. They were generic military dudes in this. They were as they'd appear from afar, not as we knew them from the intimate portrayal in other games.

Ocelot's role was to be a lot more neutral in V than the other titles. His whole purpose was to help Venom

Doesn't matter, really. His characterization was half-assed and ineffectual.

I have trouble to identify ocelot outside being just a voice telling you what to do instead of being an active character ingame like Quiet.

I mean, he talks the same sentences more than your iDroid

I'm split on this. Because it does make sense and explains the way he acted. On the other hand there's no trace of the Ocelot we know. And yes we've haven't really seen the true Ocelot but at least he could have had some more personality and panache.

He made perfect sense in the context of the game. He never really had any motivation to give a shit about what was going on.

So he didn't.

Why they chose to make a game like that is the better question.

MGS 3 still king of MGS.

Not even a hammered Keifer could dethrone it.

Baker mentions in interviews and on twitter being given explicit direction to that effect. Kojima really liked TLoU.
Really? I guess Kojima didn't mind the character having a southern accent only some of the time.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Only character with an actual arc was Quiet.

Kind of amazing when you think about it. Only character worth a shit was the one ridiculed for their appearance and barely muttered a sound in a game overflowing with near-endless exposition. And yet she was the only character that had development that actually lead somewhere.

What a weird fuckin game.

Eh, Miller (and by Proxy Venom) had an arc in regards to Skullface/quest for Revenge. You can even see the after effects of that on Miller. Ocelot simply wasn't needed and it's weird how Kojima threw him in only for him to be mission support and cut-scene interrogator with no actual purpose beyond those two.

Reebot

Really? I guess Kojima didn't mind the character having a southern accent only some of the time.

From what I can guess, the lines were recorded over a series of months or years, and production was a fragmented mess. So, and I am genuinely advancing this as a theory, they might have recorded pretty much all of a given script in one voice and the next in another and mixed them together for the final release.

Its hard to hear lines like "Boss get down- ...the enemy sniper" and not realize something went horribly wrong.

Kindekuma

Banned
Thats what he's like when he's forced to babysit a fake-Boss. He turns his charisma off.

I like his relationship with Kaz, they're at each other's throats basically the entire time but they can't do something about it since they're part of a larger picture at play. It was nice how they address it outright in the post credits scene.

KyleCross

The voice acting is very inconsistent. At certain points he sounds just like Joel.

Not Baker's fault. Kojima originally had him mimicking Zimmerman's performance early in the game, but then Kojima played TLOU and literally told him "Just do Joel." Didn't even bother re-recording the lines in which he was clearly channeling Zimmerman.

I swear, Kojima had no idea what he was doing with this game. Lack of clear direction and wasting a shit-ton of money, I definitely can see why Konami got fed up.

bluethree

It would've been so cool to see Ocelot as an ally instead of a villain, but like pretty much every other plot element in the game it comes across as insanely half baked. It's like he has no personality whatsoever.

News Bot

Banned
Ocelot is the most mishandled character in the series. He's consistent between MGS1 and MGS2, but everything afterwards is terrible. Shoehorning him into Big Boss' origin story with quirks, personality and attitude he loses for fourty years until the climactic battle.

But it's ok because "hypnotism." Crock of shit hack writing. Face-turning a completely reprehensible character and even making him the Son of Jesus Christ (The Boss) is ridiculously hammy and forced. The series works better without any of the pretentious religious drivel introduced in MGS3.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
The game isn't called metal gear v: ocelot. Of course he's not going to be in it much.
Ocelot was in Portable Ops for like 4 minutes tops, yet they somehow managed to make him as relevant and charismatic as he ever was in past games. The "non-canon" black sheep entry of the series gets the character right, but the "legit" numbered sequel couldn't have bungled the execution any harder.

So I don't think the amount of screentime he got in MGSV was the issue. The problem purely came down to not using that time wisely.

News Bot

Banned
So was snake. Man all the fucken characters were boring. Miller was good.

Since people like to use that bullshit "it's meta!" excuse for MGSV's shitty plot threads, allow me to suggest that Miller is the one who represents the player, not Venom. Stuck in an empty world with the facade of openness surrounded by emotionless cut-outs with awful or no dialogue. He's portrayed as the one making psychopathic decisions but he's the only reasonable person in the entire game. Everyone else is batshit and totally nonchalant about it, including and especially Venom. Huey is also grossly mishandled to show the "other side" of this. It's terrible writing and fails to advance the characters in any way, they all regress except for Miller. Huey is just comical madness that comes completely out of nowhere for no reason other than to justify Strangelove's death, which is yet another justification of that stupid child genius plot point in MGS4.

MGSV is all about attempting to justify previous nonsense writing. Not explain them. Justify them. Each justification only muddles the plot further and makes it even more inconsistent. At some point Kojima lost the ability to write a compelling story and focused on the worst aspects of his previous ones. Venom is nothing but a dead leaf in the wind and none of the game's emotional scenes, save Shining Lights, does anything to give him personality as "Big Boss." The Paz ending only accentuates his original personality, and there is absolutely zero payoff when Venom learns the truth. Most scenes in the game are a waste of time or absolutely poorly placed, such as the Low Morale scene being restricted to the player not knowing how numbers work instead of being part of growing and advancing the narrative.

Ratrat

Not Baker's fault. Kojima originally had him mimicking Zimmerman's performance early in the game, but then Kojima played TLOU and literally told him "Just do Joel." Didn't even bother re-recording the lines in which he was clearly channeling Zimmerman.

I swear, Kojima had no idea what he was doing with this game. Lack of clear direction and wasting a shit-ton of money, I definitely can see why Konami got fed up.
Source?

Banned
Since people like to use that bullshit "it's meta!" excuse for MGSV's shitty plot threads, allow me to suggest that Miller is the one who represents the player, not Venom. Stuck in an empty world with the facade of openness surrounded by emotionless cut-outs with awful or no dialogue. He's portrayed as the one making psychopathic decisions but he's the only reasonable person in the entire game. Everyone else is batshit and totally nonchalant about it, including and especially Venom. Huey is also grossly mishandled to show the "other side" of this. It's terrible writing and fails to advance the characters in any way, they all regress except for Miller. Huey is just comical madness that comes completely out of nowhere for no reason other than to justify Strangelove's death, which is yet another justification of that stupid child genius plot point in MGS4.

MGSV is all about attempting to justify previous nonsense writing. Not explain them. Justify them. Each justification only muddles the plot further and makes it even more inconsistent. At some point Kojima lost the ability to write a compelling story and focused on the worst aspects of his previous ones. Venom is nothing but a dead leaf in the wind and none of the game's emotional scenes, save Shining Lights, does anything to give him personality as "Big Boss." The Paz ending only accentuates his original personality, and there is absolutely zero payoff when Venom learns the truth. Most scenes in the game are a waste of time or absolutely poorly placed, such as the Low Morale scene being restricted to the player not knowing how numbers work instead of being part of growing and advancing the narrative.
Yeah, that's a good explanation.

Top Bottom