• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ocelot in MGSV is so god damn boring.

On top of being boring he looks like a fucking rat. Why they went with the rat face is beyond me.
wat

Refresher on what Ocelot actually looks like in MGSV:
ocelot.jpg
(For those that can't see the image: picture a devilishly handsome man.)

Yes, he doesn't look much like Ocelot, but calling him names isn't going to suddenly make him ugly.

And anyways, I can think of 24 reasons why people shouldn't get hung up on MGSV's continuity with the rest of the series.

wat

Yes, he doesn't look much like Ocelot, but calling him names isn't going to suddenly make him ugly.

And anyways, I can think of 24 reasons why people shouldn't get hung up on MGSV's continuity with the rest of the series.

Looks like a rat, and has a puberty moustache. Terrible. Especially compared to glorious Lee Van Cleef Ocelot.

liquid_ocelot_by_hatredboy-d641o6l.png

oldboss

wat

I didn't say he was ugly. Rats can be cute :D (Although he's not)

His best design really was MGS2/4, imo.

Edit :

Perfect.

I agree. MGS5 is a boring as fuck.

I played over 70 hours and still had to youtube the ending twist

that is a badly designed game structure

And that has nothing to do with the premise of the thread, but as I said earlier, people who don't like the game tend to use this kind of threads to do this drive by hate posts that add nothing to the topic.

We already had a billion threads discussing the design choices in mgsv, a lot of people hate the game and a lot of people love it, all of gaf knows that by now.

And that has nothing to do with the premise of the thread, but as I said earlier, people who don't like the game tend to use this kind of threads to do this drive by hate posts that add nothing to the topic.

We already had a billion threads discussing the design choices in mgsv, a lot of people hate the game and a lot of people love it, all of gaf knows that by now.
Yeah for whatever reason people get really salty whenever anything about MGSV is mentioned.
Almost 6 months later. same stuff is being said zzzzz

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dude I'm one of the like 10 people here that still likes V, and even I can't defend that jeep scene

The Jeep scenes major problem is lack of time to animate and length of the drive. I feel like Kojima was going to have the Skullface exposition be better paced but ran out of time/Konami fiasco scuttled that.

They made Ocelot boring? How is that possible? I haven't played MGSV yet, because #fucKonami, but that sounds troubling.
Yeah he's pretty much a different character in V.
Kojima wanted him to be "neutral" to balance out the other characters like Kaz or something like that. IDK why he decided to do that with an already established character though

....i liked the jeep scene o.0

it was like animation repetition and awkward ceaselessness of The Ladder but with Soviets burning bodies

though I spent nearly an hour and a half perfectly infiltrating OKB Zero through the interiors and sewer though so that may account for some of my welcomed reprieve haha

Demise

It made sense considering the direction of the game/story overall but that was my problem, it didn't have the soul or charm of the earlier games. People often criticize the series of being stupid and wacky, but MGSV was stupid and wacky without the bells and whistles that actually made it enjoyable in the past. It's always been a ridiculous series, but highly memorable and fun; it felt like there was a method to the madness up until Peace Walker and this game, and hell, even Peace Walker by comparison had more of what I like about the series. It was like they tried to make it more dark and "grounded" but... didn't. When you do a story like this you have to strike a certain tone and the previous games did so with their chin held high.

The first mgs wasn't stupid at all and only minor things like flirty snake were wacky (the jap version is much better imo), i find it actually pretty smart written overall with an intersting plot and themes. It's not kubrick or de palma work but i've yet to see a game of the caliber of the first mgs regarding mise en scene, engaged and engaging plot, pacing and photography. When you think of it it really look like a lynch take on tactical intell with kubrick talent for artistic choices and unsettling atmosphere. Truly a master piece of a game if you ask me and i'm not a fan of kojima at all.

Other mgs though... I won't defend them.

The first mgs wasn't stupid at all and only minor things like flirty snake were wacky (the jap version is much better imo), i find it actually pretty smart written overall with an intersting plot and themes.

Yeah I think it's pretty great myself. I wasn't singling it out, just the series as a whole.

After reading this thread I went ahead and replayed Ground Zeroes main mission.

• The base wide alerts are actually preferable going back. It adds a greater emphasis on stealth along with heightened tension.
  • Story beats are paced well regardless of who you rescue first.
  • Harry G.W's score towards the final half of the mission is fantastic. When you grab Paz and hints of it begin to play, combining with everything else makes me feel sad for how most of TPP feels during gameplay.
  • Whether it's down to the structured focused map, or heightened overall awareness it's much more difficult that TTP. I prefer it.

No wonder I 100% it on PS4 and PC.

Golnei

[*]Harry G.W's score towards the final half of the mission is fantastic. When you grab Paz and hints of it begin to play, combining with everything else makes me feel sad for how most of TPP feels during gameplay.

I agree that all of the music cues through Paz's extraction were fantastic, but wasn't that all Ludvig Forssell? I was under the impression he was responsible for all the ingame music, while Gregson-Williams did the scoring for the bomb removal and fall of Mother Base scenes.

I agree that all of the music cues through Paz's extraction were fantastic, but wasn't that all Ludvig Forssell? I was under the impression he was responsible for all the ingame music, while Gregson-Williams did the scoring for the bomb removal and fall of Mother Base scenes.

Upon researching you are correct. HGW only composed "She's Rigged" and "The Fall of Mother Base".

The track I referred to is a remix of "The Girl's Gone". The one on the OST isn't the same as the one which plays in game. Guess I owe Ludvig more credit than just for Ride A White Horse.

[*]Whether it's down to the structured focused map, or heightened overall awareness it's much more difficult that TTP. I prefer it.
i think part of it is that enemy difficulty is flat in gz but in tpp they level up and it's not until later that they get more difficult.

tpp is a lot more fun once basically every guard is a++ or s rank if you revisit missions after you've probably beat everything.

Rathorial

Pretty much the entire cast of the game was boring and unremarkable to me.

There were some moments like the D-Dog and Snake eye-patch boarding helicopter together thing...but 99% of my enjoyable moments in MGSV were emergent stuff with the gameplay systems. Just like the Far Cry games, minus the compelling villain.

Top Bottom