• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October EGM scores: Bioshock, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk

Gigglepoo

Segata Sanshiro said:
Gigglepoo! This truck full of cute babies will be enveloped in acid unless you can draw a legible penis using this laser pointer!

The reward from their hot unwed young mothers will be palpable if you can save them!

If you don't think the PS2 is capable of expertly crafted penis creatiions, clearly you haven't played Grafitti Kingdom.

Jirotrom

Gigglepoo said:
Yes, much easier.
to each their own I guess... I could understand this if we were stating that the drawing prowess of the Wii remote was lets say based on my experiences with Rayman but after playing RE4 and MP3 I have changed my views.

hteng said:
wow, what the hell happened to Wild Arms 5? I played the JP ver and absolutely love it, the story was meh typical jrpg but the game play was absolutely top notch, musics were great too! how the hell did it get a 6.5 and 5
its a JRPG, its got to really stick out in order to score well in the US.

Gigglepoo

Jirotrom said:
to each their own I guess... I could understand this if we were stating that the drawing prowess of the Wii remote was lets say based on my experiences with Rayman but after playing RE4 and MP3 I have changed my views.

There's no drawing in MP3 or RE4 (you're played Prime 3!?) but there is drawing in RRR. That drawing sucked. Horrible. Okami controlled perfectly on the PS2. It could only be hurt by Wii controls.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Jirotrom said:
so you think the drawing scheme in place on the ps2 version would be easier?

Its too obvious a choice for Capcom to try to replicate the wiimote as the Celestial Brush and yeah, I think you would lose a lot of precision in doing so. In a bunch of Wii games how many people point away from the screen at pivotal moments? It happens to me and my friends a lot .. I mean yeah sure granted were probably all retards .. but was there ever a problem in making a circle with the analog?

The one example I can think of is how I thought analog controls would be great for fighting games since, well, it sounds really easy to do a 1/4 circle or a half moon with an analog controller .. figures that using the d-pad was still the most reliable option at the end of the day (and Im talking about consoles here, not arcade sticks)

However, if they could increase the draw distance on the Wii, add 480p and some other stuff, well yeah, that sounds cool.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Gigglepoo! This truck full of cute babies will be enveloped in acid unless you can draw a legible penis using this laser pointer!

The reward from their hot unwed young mothers will be palpable if you can save them!

That would make Okami get mainstream appeal, thats for sure! :lol

Gigglepoo said:
If you don't think the PS2 is capable of expertly crafted penis creatiions, clearly you haven't played Grafitti Kingdom.
Yes but in this scenario you must save the babies with a laser pointer! Your analog stick skills would have helped better with last week's Skrull invasion that also incidently involved drawing a legible penis, but with a Dual Shock!

Jirotrom

Gigglepoo said:
There's no drawing in MP3 or RE4 (you're played Prime 3!?) but there is drawing in RRR. That drawing SUCKED. Horrible. Okami controlled perfectly on the PS2. It could only be hurt by Wii controls.
yeah but the point I was making that the actual reticule movement sucked balls in Raving Rabbids... hence why I stated it. but after playing about 30 minutes of prime and tons of RE4 I don't see why capcom wouldn't be able to do a good job of it.

Gigglepoo

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yes but in this scenario you must save the babies with a laser pointer! Your analog stick skills would have helped better with last week's Skrull invasion that also incidently involved drawing a legible penis, but with a Dual Shock!

You're trying to convince me to save babies? I should probably tell you that I've chosen the Dark Side in Bioshock. I have harvested every Little Sister I can get my hands on. Though it would be nice to draw a celebratory penis after removing their slug...

Gigglepoo said:
You're trying to convince me to save babies? I should probably tell you that I've chosen the Dark Side in Bioshock. I have harvested every Little Sister I can get my hands on. Though it would be nice to draw a celebratory penis after removing their slug...
You killed Little Sisters? All of them??

Damn, you are one cold motherfucker. Dinosaur-style, yo.

Jirotrom

Raging Spaniard said:
Its too obvious a choice for Capcom to try to replicate the wiimote as the Celestial Brush and yeah, I think you would lose a lot of precision in doing so. In a bunch of Wii games how many people point away from the screen at pivotal moments? It happens to me and my friends a lot .. I mean yeah sure granted were probably all retards .. but was there ever a problem in making a circle with the analog?

The one example I can think of is how I thought analog controls would be great for fighting games since, well, it sounds really easy to do a 1/4 circle or a half moon with an analog controller .. figures that using the d-pad was still the most reliable option at the end of the day (and Im talking about consoles here, not arcade sticks)

However, if they could increase the draw distance on the Wii, add 480p and some other stuff, well yeah, that sounds cool.

That would make Okami get mainstream appeal, thats for sure! :lol
I see what you mean.. I think its all about fine tuning though... making the actual hand motions smaller... thats why the advanced mode on Prime 3 works so well. I never lost the IR aim on advanced , I did lose it on normal once or twice, though I was standing close to the tv, I mean its pretty obvious you would be able to make a more precise circle on an analog stick due to the constraints, but I dont think the Wii remote would ruin the experience unless it just got programmed badly. The big difficulty with the wii remote is that devs are having to make virtual constraints, so it requires more work on their end. I definitely understand your point though and it makes absolute sense.

Gigglepoo

Segata Sanshiro said:
You killed Little Sisters? All of them??

I have nightmares...

Jirotrom said:
yeah but the point I was making that the actual reticule movement sucked balls in Raving Rabbids... hence why I stated it. but after playing about 30 minutes of prime and tons of RE4 I don't see why capcom wouldn't be able to do a good job of it.

Aiming is different than drawing.

Amir0x

Banned
Like Zelda:TP, Okami without camera control would be bunk. It wouldn't be bad on Wii - you can't really make games of Zelda:TP and Okami's caliber BAD unless you actively tried - it'd just be inferior, like TP was.

Interesting @ Heavenly Sword score. I was about to write it off... hell, I still won't get to play it for another year or so until PS3 drops to 399... but that makes me stand and pause again.

PkunkFury

having drawn pleanty on the Wii photo channel and playing Trauma centre I don't see why Okami would be a problem with the remote. I also see it being much easier to market, and I see it working better for the more complex stuff like cherry bombs and when you get to doodle

no camera controls would suck, but they could be mapped to a button with tilt or something

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Jirotrom said:
I see what you mean.. I think its all about fine tuning though... making the actual hand motions smaller... thats why the advanced mode on Prime 3 works so well. I never lost the IR aim on advanced , I did lose it on normal once or twice, though I was standing close to the tv.

Well I wouldn't be unhappy really at the end of the day if Capcom choses to milk out Okami as much as possible, it deserves it. Its still one of the most underrated games out there and given how little money it would take to port, they would most probably get some nice profit out of it (like what we did with Tiger Wii, har har)

Jirotrom

Raging Spaniard said:
Well I wouldn't be unhappy really at the end of the day if Capcom choses to milk out Okami as much as possible, it deserves it. Its still one of the most underrated games out there and given how little money it would take to port, they would most probably get some nice profit out of it (like what we did with Tiger Wii, har har)

Yeah I actually want it to come out more for sales reasons actually. I think with proper marketing it could do really well on the Wii. I don't know if the control would actually be better or w/e, but even a re release on the 360 would be cool, considering the software sales on the 360.

Ace 8095

Amir0x said:
Like Zelda:TP, Okami without camera control would be bunk. It wouldn't be bad on Wii - you can't really make games of Zelda:TP and Okami's caliber BAD unless you actively tried - it'd just be inferior, like TP was.

Interesting @ Heavenly Sword score. I was about to write it off... hell, I still won't get to play it for another year or so until PS3 drops to 399... but that makes me stand and pause again.
You make a strong argument. I now see that you’re implying that Super Mario Galaxy is actually inferior to Super Mario Sunshine. Saying bad things about such a hyped game is not wise.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Rumor Mill-not sure if it was posted yet in this thread.

Castlevania for PS3 and 360 in the works

Kingdom Hearts prequels on various systems and handhelds

Oblivion for PSP canned?

New Jak and Daxter game from Naughty Dog after Uncharted.

Nothing that wasn't really already known by now. I have the full issue in front of me so if anyone wants any other details just ask.

Amir0x

Banned
Ace 8095 said:
You make a strong argument. I now see that you’re implying that Super Mario Galaxy is actually inferior to Super Mario Sunshine. Saying bad things about such a hyped game is not wise.

Galaxy was cleverly designed to take into account Wii's weakness here... the planets, platforms and world's he visits are suspended in space, and mostly don't require any manual camera work to navigate at all as a result.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'm kind of surprised that egm likes heavenly sword -- since chromehounds and ultimate g+g i've been conditioned to expect egm lowballs for games i'm anticipating. i seriously think gears of war has been the only exception

Nightz

@purgeface - Thanks for the additional rumors. Here's the updated info:

Reviews
Bioshock 10, 10, 10 GOTM
Heavenly Sword 8, 8, 9
Warhawk 8.5, 7, 8.5
MySims 6, 5.5, 6.0
Sonic Rush Adventure 7.5, 7.0, 7.0
Wild Arms 5 8, 6.5, 5
Eternal Sonata 6, 8, 7
Madden 2008 9, 9, 8.5
NHL 2008 (EA) 9.5, 9, 9
Medal of Honor Airborne 6.5, 8, 5.5

Rumors
-Capcom working on Okami Wii
-Kingdom Hearts spinoffs/prequels for various systems similar to what Square-Enix is doing with FF & DQ
-Castlevania for 360 and PS3 in the works
-Oblivion PSP canned?
-New Jak and Daxter game from Naughty Dog after Uncharted

Acosta

They missed the words 2D at Castlevania rumors.

Right? Right!?

Nice to see a good score for HS, maybe is not Ninja Gaiden or DMC 3, but Ninja Theory has a good sense of style and artistic vision, hope they do well, especially with such a hard story behind them. People there has done real sacrifices to have a game released and a studio they can their own (as many other studios I guess, but I know the story of this one).

Speevy said:
Jak and Daxter game on the PS3?

I thought their storyline was over.
Sony filed a trademark for Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier last year and there have been rumors since then. I suspect it's like Insomniac, make a new IP and then return the following year with an established one.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

AHHHH

(it's probably going to be awful, but i want it to be good so badly)

Y2Kev said:

AHHHH

(it's probably going to be awful, but i want it to be good so badly)

Agreed....I shall fap cautiously yet optimistically

purg3

slept with Malkin
Broadbandito said:
Can someone post the pros and cons of airborne please

Good-Will tide you over on LIVE until Halo 3 hits
Bad-Broken shooting in a shooter
PS3 version-Delayed until Nov.

Biggest Gripe-Unresponsive gunplay. Which I totally agree on after playing the demo.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
re: castlevania, i think iga mentioned in a games convention interview that it's in development for 360, though he's considering a ps3 version. he hasn't decided between 2d and 3d -- though the fact that it isn't on wii is the first indication in some time that iga isn't actively trying to ruin the franchise, so maybe he'll choose the correct number of dimensions as well

drohne said:
re: castlevania, i think iga mentioned in a games convention interview that it's in development for 360, though he's considering a ps3 version. he hasn't decided between 2d and 3d -- though the fact that it isn't on wii is the first indication in some time that iga isn't actively trying to ruin the franchise, so maybe he'll choose the correct number of dimensions as well

Would love to have a link to that "in development for the 360 and considering a PS3 version" if you could.
(Mainly because if true there would have been 20 threads about it with lots of gifs and cats and also Kotaku and whatnot would have it pasted all over their front pages)

ggnoobIGN

Banned
purgeface said:
Good-Will tide you over on LIVE until Halo 3 hits
Bad-Broken shooting in a shooter
PS3 version-Delayed until Nov.

Biggest Gripe-Unresponsive gunplay. Which I totally agree on after playing the demo.
Preview scores please...?

_Angelus_

Banned
Reviews
Bioshock 10, 10, 10 GOTM
Heavenly Sword 8, 8, 9
Warhawk 8.5, 7, 8.5
MySims 6, 5.5, 6.0
Sonic Rush Adventure 7.5, 7.0, 7.0
Wild Arms 5 8, 6.5, 5
Eternal Sonata 6, 8, 7
Madden 2008 9, 9, 8.5
NHL 2008 (EA) 9.5, 9, 9
Medal of Honor Airborne 6.5, 8, 5.5

Rumors
-Capcom working on Okami Wii
-Kingdom Hearts spinoffs/prequels for various systems similar to what Square-Enix is doing with FF & DQ

-Oblivion PSP canned?
-New Jak and Daxter game from Naughty Dog after Uncharted

Such awesome news with the Bioshock and Heavenly Sword scores. Though I still don't take media reviews as a means to what I buy in the first place,still I would have bought these even if they would have scored lower,but reading the scores does give me a boner none the less.

As for the Castlevania rumors,bring it the fuck on. I've been one of the few that have loved all the 3D Castlevanias,though whichever direction they go in,please cut out the shit RPG formula already. Make this franchise means something again. They need to go back to old school gameplay-a central focus on nothing more than hardcore straight forward hack and slash action with all that awesome platforming you can handle. Really though - screw the spells and leveling up crap already,that should have been phased out 10 sequels ago. Take the franchise back to one of the best in the series-Castlevania 4. Next gen 2D action would be pretty damn neat,make the backgrounds 3D,scaling action,mode7 stuff,I want an oldschool game with todays 3D effects slapped in.

Btw-off topic but holy fuck I went to 3 stores today and found an invasion of Wiis everywhere,each store had around 10-15 in...wtf? I considered buying one,but then I remembered the systems library and did the wise thing,save that money for PS3 and 360 releases.:)

purg3

slept with Malkin
ggnoobIGN said:
Preview scores please...?

What preview scores? Sorry I'm confused, I don't know what you're talking about. The only previews are Lost, NFL Tour, Last Remnant, and GTA IV.

Angelus said:
As for the Castlevania rumors,bring it the fuck on. I've been one of the few that have loved all the 3D Castlevanias,though whichever direction they go in,please cut out the shit RPG formula already. Make this franchise means something again. They need to go back to old school gameplay-a central focus on nothing more than hardcore straight forward hack and slash action with all that awesome platforming you can handle. Really though - screw the spells and leveling up crap already,that should have been phased out 10 sequels ago. Take the franchise back to one of the best in the series-Castlevania 4. Next gen 2D action would be pretty damn neat,make the backgrounds 3D,scaling action,mode7 stuff,I want an oldschool game with todays 3D effects slapped in.

God yes.

And I want true dark Gothic art design, not animu.

And a soundtrack as similarly warped and avant-garde as CV4's.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
purgeface said:
What preview scores? Sorry I'm confused, I don't know what you're talking about. The only previews are Lost, NFL Tour, Last Remnant, and GTA IV.
Well the looking ahed to next month said they would be back with their annual "brutally honest previews" article where they give awards on previews(Awesome, Good, So So, and Terrible). I guess if you don't know what I'm talking about, they ditched the feature, which probably means no promised Smash preview either.

_Angelus_

Banned
revolverjgw said:
God yes.

And I want true dark Gothic art design, not animu.

And a soundtrack as similarly warped and avant-garde as CV4's.

Are you getting the Castlevania thats releasing on the PSP this fall?
I really don't know much about it other than the videos I've seen and it looks like old school Castlevania. Isn't this a remake of one of the games that released overseas only?

I need to head to IGN and read up on it I guess. And you nailed it,less anime styled shemale characters,more grittiness is needed in character and stage designs,and a great soundtrack to go with it.

"Die monster!"

:lol

purg3

slept with Malkin
ggnoobIGN said:
Well the looking ahed to next month said they would be back with their annual "brutally honest previews" article where they give awards on previews(Awesome, Good, So So, and Terrible). I guess if you don't know what I'm talking about, they ditched the feature, which probably means no promised Smash preview either.

Oh, OK. I guess it's not in this issue, but they do have a best and worst in show(E3) feature. I didn't see any SSBB infos either.

EDIT: NVM I found what you are talking about. It's in a small box at the end of the E3 article. Give me a few minutes and I'll post it.

purgeface said:

LOST LOST LOST LOST LOST TELL US ABOUT LOST JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.

Top Bottom