• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Octopath Traveler F2P Prequel is coming to Android and iOS

Bullet Club

The version for iOS and Android has just been announced and will be released within 2019. It will be titled Octopath Traveler: Tairiku no Hasha, which translates into “Champions of the Continent.”

The game will retain its HD-2D graphics, and will mostly operate in the same way as the original on Switch, even if the controls have been adapted in order to be easy to use on smart devices, with the implementation of the touch screen.

7JqwsZE.jpg

It's a F2P prequel.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
It's not the same game, mind you, it's actually a prequel using the same gameplay, 8-men battles, touch controls, additional characters and stories down the line, free to play with optional purchases.

Looks very promising from the point of view of expanding on the Octopath IP and world (if they don't screw it up), but the writer is the same, so there's good chances.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Interesting, I thought this was the original game for awhile but it turns out it’s a F2P offshoot. Shame.

Last edited:

nicktwilight

Neo Member
Searching it on the web it seems that its a brand new free to play game that is set as a prequel to the switch game.Eight charachter battles are new too.Lets see how square handles the free to play format in this game.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Interesting, I thought this was the original game for awhile but it turns out it’s a F2P offshoot. Shame.

Not sure why that would be a shame. It's better for it to be its own thing, expanding on the original's story and world. I'd say new content from the same authors is better than playing the same content again.

My only fear is that it could stay confined in Japan.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

Not sure why that would be a shame. It's better for it to be its own thing, expanding on the original's story and world. I'd say new content from the same authors is better than playing the same content again.

My only fear is that it could stay confined in Japan.
Shame because it likely won’t be of the same pedigree as it’s console namesake, also because it will likely be littered with F2P trash mechanics (crystals for healing potions or playtime, etc).

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Shame because it likely won’t be of the same pedigree as it’s console namesake, also because it will likely be littered with F2P trash mechanics (crystals for healing potions or playtime, etc).

It's an entirely single-player experience and written by the same people, so I would wait before judging.

Games like Granblue Fantasy have demonstrated since a long time that mobile doesn't necessarily mean bad or inferior, and free to play mechanics can be done so that they don't damage the experience.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Interesting news. Going to run the Android version on my PC with a controller though. I'm only getting a Switch when the Pokemon bundle is announced.

Shaqazooloo

That's unexpected, seems like a good idea though if they want to get the Octopath IP out there. I might check it out depending on the monetization.

I really enjoyed this game. I must have finished everyone's starter chapter and fell off. I really should get back to it. As for a mobile prequel, I don't think I will bother. My phone is not made for games more technical than Tsum Tsum.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

The sequel to one of Square's best games in years is a f***ing free to play phone game.

I don't know how to handle this information other than to place a lot of anger towards Square Enix.

If this is a prequel, then why does it have the same name as the existing game? I am a little confused. If I saw this on the iOS App Store right now I would have thought it was a port of the original to mobile.

ethomaz

Banned
If this is a prequel, then why does it have the same name as the existing game? I am a little confused. If I saw this on the iOS App Store right now I would have thought it was a port of the original to mobile.
It doesn't.

It is called Octopath Traveler: Tairiku no Hasha (no English title yet).

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
No Square. No. Bad Square.

Put it on Switch (or any actual console). Charge a price for the complete game. Don't drag your most promising new franchise in many years through the F2P mobile mud.

iconmaster

Banned
I'm fine with this. We still got a great Switch game (and for now it remains console-exclusive), and hints of a new Bravely Default for Switch as well.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i wanted to like this game so bad.
but that fing instagram photoshop 14 year old teen girl filter sheit ruined the game.

Golgo 13

I'm fine with this. We still got a great Switch game (and for now it remains console-exclusive), and hints of a new Bravely Default for Switch as well.
I heard on Twitter awhile ago that Nintendo helped fund the game, so the likelihood of it coming to any other platforms in the future would be pretty much non existent.

BootsLoader

Banned
Is anybody actually playing this game? I tried it yesterday and it looks fun,nahe story is also nice for a mobile game. The problem is that after reading a little about the game on Google, everybody says that the game is a big cash grab and a very lazy port/work. I don’t want to lose time for a game that you actually will have to pay for rubies etc to win.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is anybody actually playing this game? I tried it yesterday and it looks fun,nahe story is also nice for a mobile game. The problem is that after reading a little about the game on Google, everybody says that the game is a big cash grab and a very lazy port/work. I don’t want to lose time for a game that you actually will have to pay for rubies etc to win.
I played the Japanese version of the game, and eventually gave up on it because of the RNG required to get characters that are good enough.

The story content (at least in the Japanese version) simply couldn't be completed with a party of 3* characters. I think I got two 4* characters in my "free" rolls, and about half way through the game I was just getting absolutely wrecked by everything. I probably wouldn't have got too far without those two characters either. Five star characters had like a 0.1% drop rate (in Japan, they have to publish the rates for winning stuff in loot boxes).

So, in effect, the game's difficulty is based entirely on your party composition which is based entirely on luck. There were ways to get more "free" rolls, but after the first few they dried up really quickly. For a while it was about a weeks worth of daily logins = one free character roll = 0.1% chance to improve.

Now - things could be different in the global release. Or, you might get lucky! But like most of these games, the easiest way to actually finish the story would be to spend an insane amount of time rerolling, or to open your wallet.

The problem is that after reading a little about the game on Google, everybody says that the game is a big cash grab and a very lazy port/work. I don’t want to lose time for a game that you actually will have to pay for rubies etc to win.
Then why are you playing a F2P mobile game?

That's the deal. They get you in free and try to get you invested enough that you'll spend money to keep going. Then once you've already spent money, you'll feel obligated to spend more so your investment wasn't for nothing.

Some people are unable to break out of the cycle and spend thousands of dollars. And these companies literally count on that. The entire system should be illegal.

It's shockingly similar to how drug dealers operate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom