• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

ZehDon

Gold Member
I hadn't considered the Quest Pro as a literal professional device. I guess I got used to Apple and Sony's "Pro" moniker just meaning "slightly improved". I suppose it makes sense: Meta wants the metaverse, and if you can't work in VR, then it's not going to happen. The improved passthrough feels like the next logical step, as we'll need full AR before the metaverse stands a chance.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Last edited:

Alexios

Some pervy stuff got releases/updates too. The third one is one of those that have those adult unrated unlock/uncensor patches off Steam going by the user reviews 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Beechos

Sucks we are still stuck with the outdated processing tech of the quest 2. Was hoping for something that can push much better visuals. All these vr games look like dreamcast games.

Tygeezy

Sucks we are still stuck with the outdated processing tech of the quest 2. Was hoping for something that can push much better visuals. All these vr games look like dreamcast games.
For a mobile chip it's definitely not outdated. the successor to this chip is only now rumored to be introduced next month and is looking like it will be on the quest 3. It's rumored to have double the gpu performance, but we will have to wait and see.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Considering it is mobile tech trying to push out something close to 4K at 60+ FPS they are pretty impressive. But just stream from a PC, even apples mobile tech isn't gonna be close to matching a decent PC.

Alexios

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
That just made me realise how cool watching a movie in AR could be, imagine watching something like the strangers or any other horror/thriller type thing on a large screen projected into the AR space and seeing one of the mask goons standing at your window or doorway in some tense build up scene.
I'd love to see an animated movie done in a similar manner to that short story clip in Vader Immortal.

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member
PSA: I factory reset my quest 2, now it’s useless. Apparently this is an ongoing, known issue.

It was working fine for the year that I’ve owned it except just recently I couldn’t get it to connect to my computer. All I wanted to do was dabble with modding bonelab and import a gordon freeman avatar, so I spent HOURS troubleshooting. Finally tried a factory reset from the phone app menu, no dice. Troubleshooted for hours more. Tried a factory reset from the headset boot menu, whoops. Now I can’t get past the phone pairing part of the setup. Googled it, there’s lots of people with the same issue, tried every single thing I could find to try, nothing has worked. Customer support refers to it as their ‘general issue’ It would seem it’s a known issue that they’re working on resolving, but holy shit I’ve spent at least 10 hours trying to troubleshoot this thing, what a nightmare.

In short, don’t factory reset your quest 2. It could become totally useless until this issue is hopefully resolved.

Last edited:

Alexios

Quest Pro is out and while they keep pushing it as some kind of pro tool to justify the price difference and all, at the same time they're pushing developers into making software and games for it, so to me it looks like a Nintendo DS type situation where they say one third pillar type thing but they hope and urge regular consumers to buy it in droves all the same despite the high price so they can let their own "Game Boy" go and focus on that alone. Plenty games like Cubism and Demeo are getting passthrough updates etc. but I'll only repeat it if the update's content goes beyond just that.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I just beat Resident Evil 4 VR last night. VR definitely made it easier. For example, the fight in the tunnels with that creature that could crawl on the walls and ceiling was made so much easier with the ability to walk backwards and shoot while walking.

It kind of reminds me how Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes was easier than the original, due to the addition of first person aiming.

Easily my #2 VR game ever. Only beaten by Half Life Alyx, obviously.

Alexios

I believe you can disable movement while aiming to keep the style as it was (of course you can still move physically but I'm sure you don't play in a giant empty space to run away to). I'd probably play like that as free aiming alone is enough to make the game way easier (as it was on Wii already).

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I believe you can disable movement while aiming to keep the style as it was (of course you can still move physically but I'm sure you don't play in a giant empty space to run away to). I'd probably play like that as free aiming alone is enough to make the game way easier (as it was on Wii already).
With that fight, and a few others, I definitely took advantage of my big VR gaming space.

CS Lurker

Touch Pro is mind-blowing. It's crazy how good this thing is. It surpassed all my expectations. I'm truly considering paying the $300 to use it with quest 2. I just wanted to know better what they are going to do with quest 3. It seems the cameras (on the HMD) won't be like in quest 2, which, for me, implies they could - at least - be considering a SKU without a controller. Well, I don't know. I'll think more about it. But I'm really, really impressed with the controllers. Tracking is so precise (no more dead spots at all), the ergonomics are so good, the haptic feedback is amazing, the weight distribution is perfect. Yes, I'm in love with these things lol

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Some good stuff in there. Crossfire: Sierra Squad, The Dark Pictures: Switchback, The Light Brigade and Hello Neighbor: Search and Rescue are the all new games I guess. Switchback being a roller coaster shooter is weird, the games were cinematic and they go for the simplest play?

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's essentially an improved version of the PSVR version, which was good. I played it a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.

I bought it and so far it's fantastic. The controls are amazing. I really feel like I'm IRON MAN.

Alexios

The Light Brigade and Hello Neighbor: Search and Rescue announced/shown for Sony's PSVR2 showcase are confirmed for Quest as well mind (and most of the rest games we knew of already). Also, turning this into two posts cos all VR devs do news on the same dang days, lol.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
This is actually probably the only thing that I would buy - a true novel way to play games, and the fact that most of them are short ones even adds to the good things about it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Played a hour of IRON MAN. It's pretty awesome. Graphics are amazing for a stand alone game. Controls are spot on. It really feels like you're playing the characters.

Alexios

Looks like all VR news have to come out on the same couple of days, lol?

Last edited:

Alexios

I knew they were going to show a big MMORPG's VR mod one of these days, but given their gameplay I wasn't too interested, yet they'll somehow manage to make it all work with motion controls? Some people will be logging off real life when it hits.

Last edited:

hlm666

With pico and quest pro just recently releasing it seems like the new wave of vr devices is starting to hit and standalone with pcvr connectivity seems to be where everyone is heading. It's expensive but they seem trying the lenses Varjo use in their really expensive hmd and oled hdr screens. Just need valve to pull their finger out and show us what they are cooking.

hlm666

This is interesting, Pimax are making some handheld portable device that docks into a vr headset and then can work standalone or connected to a pc via cable/wifi for pcvr. Makes one wonder if the steamdeck was the first step in valves next vr device being something similar given all the rumors about it being standalone.

Top Bottom