• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

McCheese

Looking forward to hearing folks first impressions of VR. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling and reminds me of when I first tried it.

Beat Saber is going to change a lot of people's opinions.

:messenger_heart:

Last edited:

Rodolink

Im still hesitant, since VR is expensive, cant decide between getting this, the Rift S or the PSVR. I want to develop for it but want the PSVR exclusives as well :/
Quest: can develop, no need to buy new computer
Rift S: can develop, need new computer
PSVR: exclusives, no development
Logic tells me to get Quest, body tells me to get both Quest and PSVR

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I love what Quest is doing for VR, that said, if I got a stand alone kit it'd have to be a more powerful iteration, Quest 2 or Quest 3, hopefully with a modern high end mobile chipset of the era rather than something weaker/older as this.

if they could have put a Snapdragon 855 in there or something close to that I'd have been all over it. For now I'm happy with my tethered PCVR and its own advantages (and disadvantages).

OP, nice plan for what games to get but also check out Apex Construct, it's a pretty cool action adventure. Robo Recall should be free though, or was that just for RIft/S? I know it was free for me when I got my Rift.

Last edited:

Alexios

Oculus Quest Robo Recall in game footage.

Pretty impressive for a stand alone VR headset.

Still waiting for my delivery :messenger_persevering:

Here's Apex Construct, it looks like a really great port and pretty much like what I experienced on PC.

It's not the greatest game and you will see that if they had done a few tweaks here and there it'd have been far more immersing and less gamey/disjointed in ways but there aren't many great solo campaigns in VR, this is among the better imo.

Last edited:

Alexios

Some more game recommendations here.
I'm waiting for Journey of the Gods to be ported to PC as it looks pretty cool.

I'd be wary of the Vader game for now, it seems like it's very limited and short, only getting high praise for being Star Wars in VR, I'd wait for all 3 (separately sold) episodes to come out and see what people think of the full thing then. Other than that they seem like good lists.

Last edited:

Alexios

Here's another potentially interesting game coming to Quest (and Rift) that was just revealed. I thought the kayak would be a set piece thing but from the game description I guess you're in it the whole game through, haha. It should make for interesting locomotion and level design at least, giving it a plausible reason for the limitations of both (I guess it will feel a bit like being on-rails but not), hopefully it's gonna be done well so it doesn't feel weird. Visually it reminds me of last gen's Goldeneye, maybe more the Wii release than the later PS360 upgrade, at least in Oculus Quest footage.

Last edited:

scalman

oculus go does not connect to pc. oculus go is standalone just like Oculus Quest.
wellit kinda does with ALVR to use SteamVR streaming to it.
and carmack said its possible maybe in future. it has all cameras and sensors to do that i mean.

Last edited:
I love what Quest is doing for VR, that said, if I got a stand alone kit it'd have to be a more powerful iteration, Quest 2 or Quest 3, hopefully with a modern high end mobile chipset of the era rather than something weaker/older as this.

if they could have put a Snapdragon 855 in there or something close to that I'd have been all over it. For now I'm happy with my tethered PCVR and its own advantages (and disadvantages).

OP, nice plan for what games to get but also check out Apex Construct, it's a pretty cool action adventure. Robo Recall should be free though, or was that just for RIft/S? I know it was free for me when I got my Rift.

no longer free. BUT, i believe if you owned it previously (i.e. got it free like i did with my Rift); then it will be available in your library for the Rift S and Quest (both of which are supposed to show up at my house by 8p!). pumped.

I just ordered a Quest, hopefully available for pickup in an hour or so. I kind of wish I didn't read this thread because I have low impulse control when it comes to anything gaming. I don't know much about it, but I love my PSVR so much and I'm just really curious about what other VR systems have to offer. The self contained, portable nature of the Quest seems like a pretty noteworthy aspect too. My wife's main concern is that it doesn't have a social screen, so how can she show everybody how awesome she is at Beat Saber? I told her that she curses too much while playing and it disturbs the children, so it'll be great for her to be able to play locking in the shed, away from others.

Does anyone know if Rec Room on the Quest can connect and play with Rec Room on the PSVR?

Romulus

This type of device will take VR to the next level. And it'll only get smaller, more powerful, and cheaper. It's already doing things I've never seen before.

I just ordered a Quest, hopefully available for pickup in an hour or so. I kind of wish I didn't read this thread because I have low impulse control when it comes to anything gaming. I don't know much about it, but I love my PSVR so much and I'm just really curious about what other VR systems have to offer. The self contained, portable nature of the Quest seems like a pretty noteworthy aspect too. My wife's main concern is that it doesn't have a social screen, so how can she show everybody how awesome she is at Beat Saber? I told her that she curses too much while playing and it disturbs the children, so it'll be great for her to be able to play locking in the shed, away from others.

Does anyone know if Rec Room on the Quest can connect and play with Rec Room on the PSVR?
Yes, Rec Room is cross-play on all devices. Quest doesn't have access to everything yet, but everything will be rolled out over time.

Last edited:

blitz64

My wife's main concern is that it doesn't have a social screen, so how can she show everybody how awesome she is at Beat Saber? I told her that she curses too much while playing and it disturbs the children, so it'll be great for her to be able to play locking in the shed, away from others.

One can cast the Quest gameplay to google chromecast, facebook livestream, or oculus app.

Convicsik

I’ve had PSVR since day one, no regrets, love exclusives like Robot Rescue, Wipeout and Everybody’s golf, but there is definitely some set backs to a tethered VR experience. The PSVR isn’t something you can just grab and play quick.

I’m all in on VR and the quest is definitely something I’ll be picking up. Not having to rely on external tracking alone makes it worth the price.

good news is it has a screen share feature to your mobile device and/or any chromecast. so you can cast to your phone so anyone can see what you see in the headset. mine's getting delivered tonight. it's going to be so choice. you'll definitely be glad you ordered one!

Romulus

I’ve had PSVR since day one, no regrets, love exclusives like Robot Rescue, Wipeout and Everybody’s golf, but there is definitely some set backs to a tethered VR experience. The PSVR isn’t something you can just grab and play quick.

I’m all in on VR and the quest is definitely something I’ll be picking up. Not having to rely on external tracking alone makes it worth the price.

Yeah the game selection for PSVR really won me over and it's not slowing down at all.

I've been able to briefly play it, but I should know better than to let my kids know that I got a new toy. Experiences thus far:

I had to stop during the setup (during the guardian zone section) to go pick my kids up from school. When I got back, it wouldn't turn on. Buttons did nothing. Charging light didn't come on. I thought it was bricked. After some troubleshooting, you can get to the safe mode menu by holding the power and - volume button simultaneously for 10 seconds, and from there, I was able to reboot it and get it back no problem.

Setup, using the app, was relatively trivial. I don't have a Facebook account, but luckily, you can create an account separate from Facebook, so I've still somehow managed to avoid Facebook yet again. The app, which connects to the headset via bluetooth, makes setting it up easy, and even had a progress bar for the update installation, so I could view the store while the headset was wokring.

It's more front heavy than the PSVR, which puts more weight on the back of the head and face. It's definitely not as comfortable. Had to install a spacer for people who wear glasses, and the little getting started guide wasn't exactly clear about how to install it. Luckily, I'm a big boy and I wear big boy pants.

I love the controllers. The ability to control the fingers separately, as well as having analog buttons that know not only how hard you push, but even if your finger is resting on the button really opens up the kind of interactions you can do. Using your pointer finger differently from grabbing an object is surprisingly intuitive. I also like that when you go into BW room view, it has overlays for your controllers so you can find them.

The tutorial is pretty adorable. That's as far as I've gotten before my kids adopted it. They call it the Optimus Prime. When (if) I get it back, I'm going to try out Rec Room cross play.

Thanks to the people who told me about streaming to the app.

The store, which I've only briefly looked through, seems like it only has about a dozen games. They seem pretty high quality, and better than the shovelware that came with the PSVR.

So far, impressions are good. There are things it does better than PSVR (controllers), and things it does worse (comfort). I don't have a PC, much less a PC than can run VR games, so being self contained is a big bonus, in my book, but the walled garden of an app store with only a handful of apps makes the thing seem smaller than it should be.

Last edited:

gifgaf

I'd be wary of the Vader game for now, it seems like it's very limited and short, only getting high praise for being Star Wars in VR, I'd wait for all 3 (separately sold) episodes to come out and see what people think of the full thing then. Other than that they seem like good lists.

I wish I had seen this comment an hour ago. Bought it and was disappointed. It's so short and hardly any action.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Space Pirate Trainer was a game I purchased several years (2 at this point I guess?!?) on Steam. The demo on the Quest is fantastic and I highly recommend it for action lovers. BeatSaber, SuperHot are also very high quality ports to the Quest hardware. If you have a big head like me you could have some face/neck pressure just simply from the headset not being big enough. I too love the controllers but I also have large hands so the controllers feel tiny and a bit cramped compared to the index/pi max knuckles/vive wands.

I just gave in and ordered a Quest from Best Buy. I have a lot to work on tonight, so figured I'd just have it shipped rather than go to the store. Looking forward to getting my hands on it on Thursday.

Opted for the 128GB version - I really wish they would have simply put a memory card slot on the thing (the same complaint I had about the Go) but oh well.

I had $40 in reward credit and a 10% coupon, so got it for $409 (before tax).

Looking forward to seeing everyone's impressions as they get into your hands!

Last edited:

Romulus

Reading the impressions on Resetera is pretty amazing. 16 pages of people falling in love with the Quest and VR in general.

This thing is really something special.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Reading the impressions on Resetera is pretty amazing. 16 pages of people falling in love with the Quest and VR in general.

This thing is really something special.
The problem is not the tech now.
Its the complete lack of games.

Spukc

"VR haz no gaems" is the new "Vita has no games". I have nearly a hundred Vita games, some as recent as december 2018. I swear people don't like to actually look out for games and just want to be spoonfed. That's a surefire way to miss out on a lot of great stuff.
I didn't use my oculus rift for about a year.
It def lacks must play titles.
Most games look like tech demos.
That is def fun on labo vr from nintendo for 40$ giving you 100 games

But def not 449 and 30$ a game.

Please show me a game as good as lone echo on rift or robo recall.
As that is my standard

Alexios

Stand alone, as in, I don't need to a PC?

How does that work?
Mobile chipset inside it. Some mid/low range snapdragon (I wish it had been high end but oh well) but enough for some cool games.

Nifty Quest commercial, this is the kind of advertising VR needs (just in more mainstream channels).

Last edited:

Alexios

As that is my standard
I've played plenty better than Robo Recall, it's far from my favorite wave shooter. It Seems you only or mostly care for visual polish (which Lone Echo has in spades but again not much else going for it, it'd be called a walking sim if it wasn't in VR). That's fine, you do you, but there are tons of great VR games even if they don't have AAA production values (which doesn't make them tech demos), but if that's what you want then Oculus has a few more out or coming, from Vader series to Asgard's Wrath to Lone Echo II to Stormland and Journey of the Gods (which might not look super high def being made for Quest first but has a nice art style anyway and should look great supersampled when it gets ported to PC). So sure, if you're only looking for very specific experiences maybe there are few for now but that doesn't mean there are few great VR games overall. I play in and out of VR equally these days. And of course even if there are some Nintendo style lulls for people already invested and looking for specific things, that doesn't have to apply to VR newcomers who gain potential access to the whole back library in an instant.

Last edited:
Mobile chipset inside it. Some mid/low range snapdragon but enough for some cool games.

Nifty Quest commercial, this is the kind of advertising VR needs (just in more mainstream channels).

Well, this is a game changer.

Does the Quest have its own library?

£500 in my country. Fuck that. I'd rather buy a pro + psvr for the extra £100

Last edited:

Alexios

Well, this is a game changer.

Does the Quest have its own library?

£500 in my country. Fuck that. I'd rather buy a pro + psvr for the extra £100
Tbh the PS Move/Aim tracking is so inferior to pretty much every other (modern) VR solution that it's barely a comparable experience (unless just playing gamepad controlled games like Wipeout or Moss) despite all being VR. Even with all the downsides between the lack of tracking behind the back and such for inside out tracking or the tether for PCVR without the expensive wireless add ons or whatever at least in great software they can make you feel like a real part of the VR world with little abstraction compared to PSVR and great possibilities for your interactions within said worlds. Sony should really have invested in a Move 2 without the old model's severe limitations rather than leave that up to the next iteration of their VR platform but oh well, it is what it is. Anyway, moving on. Yeah Quest has its own Oculus store and games. Some are cross buy with PC (if they exist).

Last edited:

pr0cs

Tbh the PS Move/Aim tracking is so inferior to pretty much every other (modern) VR solution
Really the only thing that psvr has going for it is the library, they do have some good games. But being able to play untethered and walk anywhere you want with the quest is a very big feature. It cannot be understated how much portability changes VR

Spukc

Tbh the PS Move/Aim tracking is so inferior to pretty much every other (modern) VR solution that it's barely a comparable experience (unless just playing gamepad controlled games like Wipeout or Moss) despite all being VR. Even with all the downsides between the lack of tracking behind the back and such for inside out tracking or the tether for PCVR without the expensive wireless add ons or whatever at least in great software they can make you feel like a real part of the VR world with little abstraction compared to PSVR and great possibilities for your interactions within said worlds. Sony should really have invested in a Move 2 without the old model's severe limitations rather than leave that up to the next iteration of their VR platform but oh well, it is what it is. Anyway, moving on. Yeah Quest has its own Oculus store and games. Some are cross buy with PC (if they exist).

wow vr snobs is that even a thing now? Talking about hyperbole.
a 2$ google cardboard is a prefect way to introduce people to vr for the first time.
and the immersion is close to a 1000$ solution.

Heck you need to take a good look at the 40$ labo VR as that one even mimics the positional tracking and comes close to the rift using apps like quill , tilt brush or medium. With a piece of cardboard and the joycons.
Heck the immersion is better most of the time in labo VR cause you actually hold a physical object that matches the VR world.
Platform snobs is def the last thing we need in VR.

Please also give me that list of games better then robo recall.

Alexios

You're the one snobbing every VR game that isn't to your taste and pretty much every VR game except two and you call me a platform snob for telling things how they are? Maybe you don't care for the deficiencies, that doesn't make them disappear objectively. Hell, I didn't even go into how PSVR is only front facing which means another layer of abstraction and another potential limitation of the controls (as the Move don't have an analog stick so they'd have to device another weirder way to turn around or use the Aim which means no two hands or only the gamepad etc).

That doesn't mean PSVR is worthless or shit, it can still offer cool experiences and does for many people, but that doesn't mean it can also do those things that it really can't. It can't. So yeah if that freedom of movement in VR shown in that Quest ad entices someone, PSVR won't match it as an alternative.

And yes the Labo VR kit did in fact do a better 3D controller than Move/Aim are, I didn't disagree with that, I just didn't point it out like you just did, but of course that's for one hand with a specific even lower limit to the range of motion and you still need to hold the Switch and all (and own it, so the cost isn't far behind a Quest if you factor the Switch). The mini games it comes with do a very good job of keeping you within the limits and I'll always praise what Nintendo achieved here unlike others who said they're potentially poisoning the VR well or whatever. But that's not the enthusiast level in-depth VR PSVR and PCVR and now Quest are going (and are priced) for. And your earlier post contradicts your current since you didn't include the Labo games as part of the couple of VR games you deem worthy enough either.

And no there's no comparison to google cardboard and other things either, if that was the case then there'd have been no need for the Quest, Oculus would have stuck with the Oculus Go and not care about the extra tech and possibilities over it.

Not to mention not have the need for PCVR at all, lol. Or a need for Oculus to come up with the Touch controllers at all, they could have just stuck with the initial gamepad offering. This shit matters whether you care about it or not. Not everything is about you alone.

Wave shooters aren't to my liking in general but I thought Raw Data is a better game than Robo Recall thanks to having the option for free locomotion, classes to choose from and level, online co-op and the occasional more complex arena/objective, maybe you feel different, whatever.

Other games that aren't of the same genre that I much prefer are Apex Construct (I initially didn't give it a shot based on the mixed reviews and other unappealing aspects but I was totally wrong to do that), In Death, SUPERHOT VR, Windlands 2, Contractors VR, Budget Cuts, Ultrawings, Karnage Chronicles, Skyrim VR and more.

Really the only thing that psvr has going for it is the library, they do have some good games. But being able to play untethered and walk anywhere you want with the quest is a very big feature. It cannot be understated how much portability changes VR
Well it's true being untethered is a great thing but PCVR (except front-facing Rift setups) still usually allows for 360 degree VR even if you gotta mind the cable. At the very least you usually have far more range than the mostly front facing PSVR. And even if you always tend to resort to using an analog stick to turn around at some point, or take the opportunity to revert all your turns to untangle, at least in a given hectic situation you do have the capability to deal with it with instinctive real life movements on the spot. Which rocks. So it's cool to finally be untethered but it's not fundamentally different to me.

I just ordered some ceiling cable pulleys so hopefully I will be able to play with some more freedom. They were pretty cheap, less than 25, so nothing compared to the cost of a wireless adapter kit (which costs as much as a new VR set). I won't feel too bad if I can't get it right, haha.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

As that is my standard

I wasn't talking about you specifically. People tend to say "there are no games" then move the goalposts when they're proven wrong. It gets nowhere.

I only have a PSVR. I have about 40 games (I still haven't finished them all and if I'm honest like 5 of them were duds) with about 90 more on my wishlist and growing. I can't possibly buy them all, let alone play them.

My understanding is that most PSVR games are PC ports so judging from that if there isn't a lack of games on PSVR then much less so on PC.

Last edited:

Romulus

a 2$ google cardboard is a prefect way to introduce people to vr for the first time.
and the immersion is close to a 1000$ solution.

$1000? Labo and Cardboard aren't even in the same universe as a $150 PSVR, much less a PCVR.

And I disagree, labo and Cardboard are so shitty its likely to turn people off as first timers.

Got a 128GB Quest today (last minute as I never knew it existed until this thread) and spent a lot of the day dicking about on it. Coming from the PSVR, it feels great!

Wireless VR really is the next step up in the VR space. FWIW, I have a Rift DK1 and a PSVR. I also have an top range computer, and forgone the Rift S for a lower powered Quest. Wireless, Self Contained VR is THAT important to me.

The quest controllers and the inside out tracking is technical magic. I never want to try and play with PlayStation Move controllers using a tracking camera ever again. The FOV on the PlayStation Camera really ruined every standing experience, from going out of the cameras FOV, the jittering, and the lighting confusion. The quest really blows that shit away.

The Ouest isn't very ergonomically designed. In a world where we have a super comfy headset for the last few years (PSVR) there really is no need for Velcro straps and such a front heavy unit. It can be a chore passing it between people.

The launch line up is super impressive. Spent about £130 on games so have tons to try out. So far I have purchased.
  • Space Pirate Trainer
  • Virtual Virtual Reality
  • Apex Construct
  • Job Simulator
  • Shadow Point
  • Superhot VR
  • Beat Saber
  • Robo Recall: Unplugged
  • Vader Immortal: Episode 1
Have yet to play a lot of them still, but having a real blast with Beat Saber at the moment. It is an impressive game, the only downfall is that this came cannot be live streamed or cast to a device so no one can watch you play, which is deal breaking in a group environment. I found a reply from a dev on Reddit who said they plan to correct this somehow but it may take a while.

Superhot VR is a game I can compare to the PS4 and my goodness its so good being able to move while playing the game and not losing your hands or getting told off for being out of bounds.

I have noticed a few bugs and glitches, some game breaking. Killed a few hours on VR Chat yesterday as Rec Room was busted and wouldn't get passed the sign up screen. I also couldn't get the mic working on VR Chat and no one could hear me. I had to do a full reboot of the Quest to get it working. Few games I have witnessed some hitches and visual anomalies. The inside out tracking can lose the controllers when they are behind you or you have you arms fully outstretched.

Overall though, its an amazing launch and I think its faitly priced (I spent £640 on the system and the games, which was half the price of my GPU). Unlike other headsets, this thing will get its use mostly for the sheer fact I can bring it anywhere and just fire it up in 5 seconds. This has me REALLY excited to see a Quest 2.

Last edited:
I'm really undecided on which game to get first. They are a lot more expensive than I would like (I mean, I just spend $400 on the Quest itself, so I'm not is a position to spend $30 on games that last less than an hour) and I'm really not sure what the best use of money is (I've already got SuperHot VR and Moss on the PSVR too). I'm kind of leaning towards the MMO (OrbusVR?). Even though it is the most expensive and with the most mixed review, I feel like there'd be a lot of value there and I'm a little miffed that Rec Room only has Paintball working right now (I want my Rec Royale!)

Alexios

I'm really undecided on which game to get first. They are a lot more expensive than I would like (I mean, I just spend $400 on the Quest itself, so I'm not is a position to spend $30 on games that last less than an hour) and I'm really not sure what the best use of money is (I've already got SuperHot VR and Moss on the PSVR too). I'm kind of leaning towards the MMO (OrbusVR?). Even though it is the most expensive and with the most mixed review, I feel like there'd be a lot of value there and I'm a little miffed that Rec Room only has Paintball working right now (I want my Rec Royale!)
Apex Construct is more like at least 5 hours long and stuff like Beat Saber and Space Pirate Trainer are all about replayability/doing better etc.

Maybe still get SUPERHOT VR in a future sale to see the immersion difference 360 degree VR and real 1:1 tracking does (even with the inside out tracking blindspots and such).

Last edited:

EDarkness

Whoa. Good to see GAF also have some Oculus Quest talk. I'm totally enjoying it. Vader Immortal is so damn awesome...even if it's short. Damn, that game had me grinning like an idiot. I'm trying to improve my lightsaber mojo and it's gonna take some work.

I think I'm gonna pick up Apex Construct at some point. A meaty adventure game would be nice to have.

Top Bottom