• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

Got a Quest 2 for Christmas for the family. It's been pretty cool so far, the only game I've purchased is Super Hot which is really awesome.

I'm looking for some advice on a few issues if someone is willing to help me out.
  • I got the Elite Strap which does feel more secure but my gosh, it feels like I'm putting my head in a vice. The sweet spot for crystal clear text seems so small it can be lost by just slipping off my cheekbones. Every session ends with red ring around my eyes and a headache caused due to the constant pressure on my forehead. Any suggestions?

• I keep reading horror stories and making myself paranoid about getting banned. I don't use Facebook so I had to make a new account, which I hear makes you look suspicious. I bought just SuperHot so far, but I'm psyching myself out the more I read and it makes me hesitant to invest serious money into some games. I'd hate to lose everything someday, then have to fight and prove my identity (giving Facebook details I don't want to share in the first place).

• Tacking on to the point above, I also want to use SideQuest to do a few things. One would be to load a few APK games from indie devs that look cool, but aren't on the store. I've read that if you start sideloading official, purchasable games that's a surefire way to get yourself banned (understandable)...it just scares me how Facebook makes these determinations.

The other would be to use custom songs in BeatSaber with BMBF. I tried the demo for BeatSaber and it was amazing...but looking at the included song list I'm not interested. The DLC packs don't interest me in the slightest either. Looking it up, BMBF is definitely breaking the terms of service. I want to play and I want to support the Beat Saber devs, but only if I could play songs I like without being banned and losing access to all my games.
If someone could give me some insight, or maybe just some assurance that would be really helpful.

All in all though this is pretty cool stuff. I noticed there is a New Years sale for two visual novels right now, Tokyo Chronos and Altdeus, which look like they would be right up my alley.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Holy shit Pistol Whip is fun. This and beat saber already feels like the Quest 2 price of admission is worth it. I’m starting to get my VR legs, hopefully just in time for my USB cable to arrive and play Half life Alyx

vr technology GIF

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Got a Quest 2 for Christmas for the family. It's been pretty cool so far, the only game I've purchased is Super Hot which is really awesome.

I'm looking for some advice on a few issues if someone is willing to help me out.
  • I got the Elite Strap which does feel more secure but my gosh, it feels like I'm putting my head in a vice. The sweet spot for crystal clear text seems so small it can be lost by just slipping off my cheekbones. Every session ends with red ring around my eyes and a headache caused due to the constant pressure on my forehead. Any suggestions?

• I keep reading horror stories and making myself paranoid about getting banned. I don't use Facebook so I had to make a new account, which I hear makes you look suspicious. I bought just SuperHot so far, but I'm psyching myself out the more I read and it makes me hesitant to invest serious money into some games. I'd hate to lose everything someday, then have to fight and prove my identity (giving Facebook details I don't want to share in the first place).

• Tacking on to the point above, I also want to use SideQuest to do a few things. One would be to load a few APK games from indie devs that look cool, but aren't on the store. I've read that if you start sideloading official, purchasable games that's a surefire way to get yourself banned (understandable)...it just scares me how Facebook makes these determinations.

The other would be to use custom songs in BeatSaber with BMBF. I tried the demo for BeatSaber and it was amazing...but looking at the included song list I'm not interested. The DLC packs don't interest me in the slightest either. Looking it up, BMBF is definitely breaking the terms of service. I want to play and I want to support the Beat Saber devs, but only if I could play songs I like without being banned and losing access to all my games.
If someone could give me some insight, or maybe just some assurance that would be really helpful.

All in all though this is pretty cool stuff. I noticed there is a New Years sale for two visual novels right now, Tokyo Chronos and Altdeus, which look like they would be right up my alley.
The Quest 2 is awesome. I also got it for Christmas. I today just learned how to install custom songs on beat saber. It took me a few hours to learn the system but easy enough. Just google how to install custom songs. Also bsaber.com is the place to go to read all about it. Also youtube could be your friend too searching it.

Also google sidequest. You can use any usb c cord to connect your headset to your pc for file access.

Games you should get: Beat saber, population one, the walking dead, ultra wings, Robo recall, etc.

Facebook has a 2 hour refund policy. Up to 5 times a month you can try a game out for up to 2 hours and request a refund for any reason. They charge you at first but once you request the refund you get your money back in a few days. I just did this with a few games I found just dumb.

Last edited:
Ok, so next logical step?
some traditional game with walking around with analog stick, but in very short sessions until you can handle more. Playing Alyx or Skyrim like this would just not be great.

try Rec Room. It's free, it has teleport or walk motion and you may not even play anything, just train getting your bearings walking around. It's a feeling the body needs to get used to, forcing it won't do. Once you get a bit better walking around in Rec Room, try a few rounds of paintball in it with other folks, it's a blast and rounds are usually short too.

InkoMint

Neo Member
The Quest 2 is awesome. I also got it for Christmas. I today just learned how to install custom songs on beat saber. It took me a few hours to learn the system but easy enough. Just google how to install custom songs. Also bsaber.com is the place to go to read all about it. Also youtube could be your friend too searching it.

Also google sidequest. You can use any usb c cord to connect your headset to your pc for file access.

Games you should get: Beat saber, population one, the walking dead, ultra wings, Robo recall, etc.

Facebook has a 2 hour refund policy. Up to 5 times a month you can try a game out for up to 2 hours and request a refund for any reason. They charge you at first but once you request the refund you get your money back in a few days. I just did this with a few games I found just dumb.
I think one of the main things he's looking for is will you get banned/bricked by either side-loading indie games NOT on the store or side-loading custom songs on a purchased BeatSaber. I'd love to know this too!

The refund policy they have is nice though, only drawback is if you want to try games that are on sale throughout the month and it eventually hits over 5, especially being a brand new user! Really wish a simple demo existed for all games.

I think one of the main things he's looking for is will you get banned/bricked by either side-loading indie games NOT on the store or side-loading custom songs on a purchased BeatSaber. I'd love to know this too!

The refund policy they have is nice though, only drawback is if you want to try games that are on sale throughout the month and it eventually hits over 5, especially being a brand new user! Really wish a simple demo existed for all games.

Sidequest is permitted by Oculus, and in fact they're coming up with their own unofficial store as well...

afaik, only issue so far is with Facebook accounts getting banned for whatever reasons...

draliko

is anyone playing elite with touch controls? is feasible? that is the thing that intrigues me the most. tried FS2020, vr is a game changer for sure (even though i don't really like FS)

Ceadeus

Doom 3 mod for Quest coming along nicely, now also implementing body IK avatar from pcvr build:

Wow that's definitely something I'm looking forward :O

Have you tried Half Life , if so how is it?

Ceadeus

I started it, pretty great stuff. Better yet, never played back then, so really a new game to me.

Also loving Quake 2, only played Quake on N64 at the time.
I might install sidequest then. Is there any downside to this App? I wouldn't want to denaturalize my Quest 2. Do the Sidequest stuff you install in the headset appears in its UI ?

I wouldn't want to denaturalize my Quest 2.
What? Why wouldn't you want to fully utilize your purchased device.

Without sidequest the quest 2 is basically worthless (for virtual desktop alone, I'd argue).

There's nothing that could void your warranty, if that's the fear. And even then, who cares? It's not a life-time warranty, and the device itself is rather cheap.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

What? Why wouldn't you want to fully utilize your purchased device.

Without sidequest the quest 2 is basically worthless (for virtual desktop alone, I'd argue).

There's nothing that could void your warranty, if that's the fear. And even then, who cares? It's not a life-time warranty, and the device itself is rather cheap.
Well i'm not quite sure what sidequest does. I know about HL, Quake 2 and now Doom 3 wich is really cool but otherwise, I can't see what's so neat about it? Would you care to explain some of its feature?

Well i'm not quite sure what sidequest does. I know about HL, Quake 2 and now Doom 3 wich is really cool but otherwise, I can't see what's so neat about it? Would you care to explain some of its feature?
Sorry, I'd thought you were already on the loop.

If you buy Virtual Desktop from the oculus store, and then install the sidequest version (which is just a patch that only enables wireless streaming), you can wirelessly stream any pc vr game to the headset.

Which means you can play quest, rift and steam vr games natively and wirelessly, at 90hz. For 299, you have the entire VR library to play, at high fidelity, if your pc can handle it.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
I might install sidequest then. Is there any downside to this App? I wouldn't want to denaturalize my Quest 2. Do the Sidequest stuff you install in the headset appears in its UI ?

It’s just a matter of clicking the correct drop down and going to unknown sources. Articles I read were outdated since the OS update so I Recommend a quick video watch.

When you know where to look games launch just like any other games.

Ceadeus

Sorry, I'd thought you were already on the loop.

If you buy Virtual Desktop from the oculus store, and then install the sidequest version (which is just a patch that only enables wireless streaming), you can wirelessly stream any pc vr game to the headset.

Which means you can play quest, rift and steam vr games natively and wirelessly, at 90hz. For 299, you have the entire VR library to play, at high fidelity, if your pc can handle it.
Ah ok yeah, I knew about it. The only problem is that my PC is aging. i7 6700hq gtx1060 6gb 16gig ram. It really is barebone for PCVR as I previously tried Rift S on it. I could totally play Pavlov, Arizona Sunshine and RecRoom but I wouldn't try Alyx. I'm still on the fence of getting a link cable.

Does the battery drain quickly when you play wireless 90hz PCVR? Anyway, I might gives it a try.

some traditional game with walking around with analog stick, but in very short sessions until you can handle more. Playing Alyx or Skyrim like this would just not be great.

try Rec Room. It's free, it has teleport or walk motion and you may not even play anything, just train getting your bearings walking around. It's a feeling the body needs to get used to, forcing it won't do. Once you get a bit better walking around in Rec Room, try a few rounds of paintball in it with other folks, it's a blast and rounds are usually short too.
Vr legs is a load of bollocks. I went straight in with Alyx and modded outer worlds and have been fine.

Just play what you want to play, to say half life won't be great is a load of nonsense honestly.

Vr legs is a load of bollocks. I went straight in with Alyx and modded outer worlds and have been fine.

Just play what you want to play, to say half life won't be great is a load of nonsense honestly.

most people get nausea as beginners in VR, you're lucky

I didn't say Alyx won't be great, what wouldn't be great is trying to play such large games as it or Skyrim in very short sessions - which is the usual method to grow tolerance to motion sickness

just a FB hater, it seems

Sidequest is not that great. It's full of even more worthless VR indies in alpha stage than the official store. But there are definitely a few fine stuff there, the boomer shooter mods among them.

in a few months it'll actually be an app on Oculus itself, so you can directly download from there instead of doing this whole acrobatics with pc/laptop and the need for an Oculus developer account to do USB sideloading...

Gamer79

People have been adding custom songs to bsaber on the original quest for a long time. I have never heard of anyone banned for this. The truth is when you add custom songs you are not even playing the orignial version. in the process you delete the oculus store version and replace it with a modded one. The trick is you still have to purchase the original for it to work. After I pay my $30 oculus and fuck off on what I can do with my software.

Mine is all tricked out. I added about 80 songs off the site's list and have all the pc mods on my quest 2.

Ah ok yeah, I knew about it. The only problem is that my PC is aging. i7 6700hq gtx1060 6gb 16gig ram. It really is barebone for PCVR as I previously tried Rift S on it. I could totally play Pavlov, Arizona Sunshine and RecRoom but I wouldn't try Alyx. I'm still on the fence of getting a link cable.

Does the battery drain quickly when you play wireless 90hz PCVR? Anyway, I might gives it a try.

Haven't noticed the battery draining faster than usual. It's always around the two hours mark, give or take.

Gamer79

Haven't noticed the battery draining faster than usual. It's always around the two hours mark, give or take.
It does drain faster because it's pushing a bigger work load. I just have a $30 anker power bank connected to my Q2 with a usb c cord. I get about 6-8 hours with this simple setup. I just wear a shirt witha front pocket and keep it in there.

It does drain faster because it's pushing a bigger work load. I just have a $30 anker power bank connected to my Q2 with a usb c cord. I get about 6-8 hours with this simple setup. I just wear a shirt witha front pocket and keep it in there.
Yeah, the powerbank route seems to be the best bang-for-your-buck solution right now.

Even a small one will double or triple the quest capacity.

Buggy Loop

How does one evaluate if the lenses are ok? I've read so many posts on oculus quest reddit with lens problems, i don't even know where to start if i have god rays with the lenses or any problems. It's hard to tell with fresnel lenses i guess? On top of that i wear glasses with a grading for far/near sighted, so my "sweet" spot in VR is very narrow.

How does one evaluate if the lenses are ok? I've read so many posts on oculus quest reddit with lens problems, i don't even know where to start if i have god rays with the lenses or any problems. It's hard to tell with fresnel lenses i guess? On top of that i wear glasses with a grading for far/near sighted, so my "sweet" spot in VR is very narrow.

I saw immediately in my first day with Quest what was godrays - a non-issue to me when on psvr but that plagued pcvr for long and now they downplay it like it's an Oculus Quest issue alone. You know, plenty of pcvr fans and devs hate Facebook.

it's overblown, you mostly don't see godrays during actual gameplay. You only in scenes with strong contrast, like moon in the night sky (and it actually feels realistic that way) or in bright letters on dark background.

it's an issue with fresnel lenses, but there's a benefit to these lenses: wider sharp sweet spot area. It feels that way to me relative to psvr.

anyway, I wouldn't take serious all the complaints. Between FB haters and whining soyboys complaining of any minor issues, the world is full of complaints. Quest is not perfect and has cut some corners for the price, but is still too awesome tech, specially to new folks. If anyone doesn't like it, I suggest buying a psvr or old pcvr headsets and have fun with cables, external sensors, complicated setups, tracking issues, driver updates, SDE etc. The whole old VR shebang...

Gamer79

That was mostly with the launch units. Units made after launch shouldn't have that issue. Mine was made in November and no problems. look up dotted lens

Last edited:

GloveSlap

Well, i had to cancel my quest order because I can't get on to my Facebook account. I didn't use the account for a couple of years and tried to log in a few months ago and it told me my password is old and needed to be reset. So i try to log in with the new password and it says I need to upload a picture of my ID.

So I upload a picture of my drivers license, which is absurd given i have access to the attached email address. Well, its still locked to this day even after uploading another picture. No emails, no way to contact them, can't make another account. After Googling the issue, i'm not the only one and others have been waiting forever to have there account unlocked.

Such a shit company and stupid requirements just to use a VR headset.

Gamer79

Well, i had to cancel my quest order because I can't get on to my Facebook account. I didn't use the account for a couple of years and tried to log in a few months ago and it told me my password is old and needed to be reset. So i try to log in with the new password and it says I need to upload a picture of my ID.

So I upload a picture of my drivers license, which is absurd given i have access to the attached email address. Well, its still locked to this day even after uploading another picture. No emails, no way to contact them, can't make another account. After Googling the issue, i'm not the only one and others have been waiting forever to have there account unlocked.

Such a shit company and stupid requirements just to use a VR headset.
Make a fake facebook account

Gamer79

People who have run into this problem have been automatically blocked from creating another account. By Facebooks rules you can only have one account and now they know he already has one.
They are probably taking a big loss per quest 2 sold. It sucks they are being anal about accounts but I understand it.

Moochi

I dont know if I'm the only person this works for, but it's the way I play every VR game: I never touch the right thumbstick. I make the boundary big enough to turn around 360 and not hit anything, and then I move my whole body for facing and the left stick moves me forward, backward, and strafes.

If I play like this, I get better exercise, and I never get VR sickness. It should be noted that I am disabled with some neurological balance issues, so when VR messes with me, it really messes with me.

I've played Quake 2, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and other games not based around a teleportation mechanic, and it works great.

My favorite game is In Death: Unchained, which does have the option to use the right stick but is a thousand times more immersive if you don't.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
I dont know if I'm the only person this works for, but it's the way I play every VR game: I never touch the right thumbstick. I make the boundary big enough to turn around 360 and not hit anything, and then I move my whole body for facing and the left stick moves me forward, backward, and strafes.

If I play like this, I get better exercise, and I never get VR sickness. It should be noted that I am disabled with some neurological balance issues, so when VR messes with me, it really messes with me.

I've played Quake 2, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and other games not based around a teleportation mechanic, and it works great.

My favorite game is In Death: Unchained, which does have the option to use the right stick but is a thousand times more immersive if you don't.

I do something similar. I draw a massive boundary but sit in my computer chair. The chair lets me lower the arm rests so that they are out of the way and I play all games sitting. I am able to spin fast enough in my chair for any necessary movements and use the left stick for forward locomotion. I get tired of standing in VR after about an hour so this really helps me game for long sessions.

that's the right way to do it. Both more immersive and far less nauseating. Too bad for tethered people, but untethered turning your whole body is really magic. Works great climbing up that spiral staircase in Return to Castle Wolfenstein and everywhere really

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Tethered VR does the same, why do you think all products offer 360 tracking capabilities or have long 5m or even much longer cables if it's restricted to front facing by necessity?

People just mind the cable, something they get used to the first few hours, never mind now that they may have been playing great 360 tracked VR games since before the Quest 1 was a thing.

Wireless is inevitably going to be the norm once kinks are ironed out, lag/delay is as good as hdmi with built-in standardized gear rather than expect people to also get new routers for potential/not guaranteed improvements using unsupported homebrew software solutions, have them in the same room or otherwise nearby when their home layout and different devices require otherwise (I'm in a 2 storeys house, router is downstairs and play space up so it probably won't work great when/if I eventually get a Quest 3 for PC VR if they don't device a new method so I could easily stick with the cable and still enjoy full freedom) etc. Whatever works best for all.

Last edited:
Tethered VR does the same, why do you think all products offer 360 tracking capabilities or have long 5m or even much longer cables if it's restricted to front facing by necessity?

People just mind the cable, something they get used to the first few hours

it's just horrible, man

untethered is total freedom. you can even roll on the floor, no cables to mind nor trip over

in swordfighting games you feel like a real badass as you can do a full slashes assisted with body turns, no cables getting in the way. Battle Talent on Sidequest is great this way...

Kinda reminds me of a 6th gen shooter in a good way

that's because it is - Quest graphics in action games with AI and physics will look at best like an early PS3 game. I think the best I've seen is SW Tales from the Galaxy's Edge, real good and impressive graphics for a Quest game, short but in a few maps it feels straight like Borderlands, except maps are smaller, but graphics are actually better.

this game afaik is a bit too shallow, but still willing to play it down the road. Probably after Doom 3 is available on Sidequest, some of the most impressive graphics as well on Quest, despite being a game from the original Xbox...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That was mostly with the launch units. Units made after launch shouldn't have that issue. Mine was made in November and no problems. look up dotted lens

I don't think that's true. All fresnel lenses will produce god rays and halos around bright objects. Mine certainly does.

But if you're saying the issue is much smaller on newer units that kind of pisses me off and makes me want to get mine replaced.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don't think that's true. All fresnel lenses will produce god rays and halos around bright objects. Mine certainly does.

But if you're saying the issue is much smaller on newer units that kind of pisses me off and makes me want to get mine replaced.
I feel like you guys don't get what the dude was actually asking there, to me it seemed like he wants to ensure if his unit isn't somehow defective in comparison to what it should be as he read of potential manufacturing flaws causing issues online, to ask for a replacement from Oculus if it turns out that's the case after all. Not if it's magically better than other Quest 2s and eliminates inherent issues of the core tech, and that was a good reply (if true of course, sounds like it could be). Hence why I laughed at the out of nowhere fanboy ranting of the other dude there, as if he was asking to compare it to other VR sets and not just other Quest 2s, lol.

Last edited:
I was here just awhile ago and now I'm all sweaty and trashed, but I finally defeated boss 1 in Path of the Warrior

I've thrown all chairs, pipes, knives and kicks at them but gosh is it still extenuating throwing punches in VR games.

Be careful what you wish for. The dream of being inside your favorite game is a double edged sword. Shooters, racers and RPGs with paced combat: fine. Streets of Rage and God of War? Heck no

Btw, no cables, but I still need to constantly mind guardian limits, or else I'll smash the wall again, and Oculus touch with that solid halo is way more frail than psvr Move's rubber balls...

Last edited:

Wonko_C

I was here just awhile ago and now I'm all sweaty and trashed, but I finally defeated boss 1 in Path of the Warrior

I've thrown all chairs, pipes, knives and kicks at them but gosh is it still extenuating throwing punches in VR games.

Be careful what you wish for. The dream of being inside your favorite game is a double edged sword. Shooters, racers and RPGs with paced combat: fine. Streets of Rage and God of War? Heck no

Btw, no cables, but I still need to constantly mind guardian limits, or else I'll smash the wall again, and Oculus touch with that solid halo is way more frail than psvr Move's rubber balls...
Get some training with BoxVR/FitXR. My deteriorating physical condition is constantly improving now. I barely was able to do 15 minute sessions 3 times per week and now I can do 30 minutes daily. Thanks to that I can play games like Beat Saber or Sprint Vector for hours without breaking a sweat. Can't wait to be able to do the longest training sessions in BoxVR and get Popeye arms. XD

Top Bottom