• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

My Quest 2 is in the mail. Should be here in a few days. I have a question about performance. Will a 3900X and a 1080ti be enough to max out games like Half Life Alyx and Boneworks at 90fps and at whatever the max resolution of the Quest is?

I've heard that there is some overhead when using the link cable compared to using a true PCVR headset. It has to encode and decode the video signal or something like that? So you'd get worse performance using a Quest 2 than you would on a standard PCVR headset. Is that correct?

How much overhead? How much performance are we losing?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Just got my elite strap in from amazon. It makes a world of difference. IF you have a quest you should 100% invest in the elite strap. I ordered mine on DEC 26th and mine just came in. So much more comfortable.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Just tried out QuestZDOOM(OG DOOM). So fucking wild to be in DOOM like that. I downloaded a voxel weapon mod, but I think I missed a in-game setting to activate it. I'm new to VR, so I began to get motion sickness after about 15min. I'm learning where my limit is and quitting that moment. Hopefully I gain my "VR legs" over time.

Last edited:

Romulus

Just tried out QuestZDOOM(OG DOOM). So fucking wild to be in DOOM like that. I downloaded a voxel weapon mod, but I think I missed a in-game setting to activate it. I'm new to VR, so I began to get motion sickness after about 15min. I'm learning where my limit is and quitting that moment. Hopefully I gain my "VR legs" over time.

Yeah just play in short increments the first few times and you should start to build a tolerance.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
My Quest 2 is in the mail. Should be here in a few days. I have a question about performance. Will a 3900X and a 1080ti be enough to max out games like Half Life Alyx and Boneworks at 90fps and at whatever the max resolution of the Quest is?
Nope. if You are running at the full Quest 2 panel resolution and trying to get 90fps expect low settings on Half Life Alyx and even then you might get the odd performance dip. The resolution of the Q2 is massive. Don’t worry though. It still looks stunning.

Last edited:
I'm trying to install Doom 3 on the quest, I have installed the apk and ran it, and I've got the files (pak) here on my PC. How do I transfer them to the quest? I can't get it to show as a drive on my pc, what am I missing? Feeling like a total idiot.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I don't know why but my VR legs on Q2 are so much better then the CV1. Even if I'm playing 60hz games.

perkelson

Will be getting Quest 2 for my PCVR. I used all gen1 PCVR headsets previously and easily PSVR was the best.
Looking forward to play some games in high res:

- Monster Hunter World
- The Witcher 3
- Fallout 4
- Red Dead 2

Definitely need to check out Sideload. I would love to play above being away from my pc while lying in bed.

I still can't believe someone actually made 300$ PC headset. Finally VR comes to PC. IF they could lower its price to something like 200$ it would be absolute game-changer for VR. The funny thing is that it was Oculus which promised 300$ VR headset in kickstarter and they finally delivered it.

Vr legs is a load of bollocks. I went straight in with Alyx and modded outer worlds and have been fine.

Absolutely not true. This is real thing. From start i was pretty resistant to motion sickness but RE7 in smooth mode was the one that actually could make me sick aside from that only few minor things could get me sick mostly due to very low FOV in VR. But after i finished RE7 and played for about 2-3 months i could play anything i wanted.

VR legs is real thing. But i like to call it VR muscle because it is something you improve.

I can now even play games that run at 25-30fps without any issue.

Last edited:

this was yesterday, so I needed to check out.

Bigscreen is better than ever. Really always a mind-blowing experience, with all their different environments to watch movies and TV. and Pluto TV is really offering free streaming of a variety of movies and tv shows. I zapped through a chunk of movies and Star Trek and cartoons, including South Park. Just like a real cinema theater, you pick up stuff to watch from the moment you're in, there's no rewind or any controls, as the rooms are public and others may be watching along with you - there are social options if they get too distracting. I did wave though to another watcher in one of the more empty rooms.

very impressive experience (natural scale theater or even imaginary ones like the space station one) and free.

Just got my elite strap in from amazon. It makes a world of difference. IF you have a quest you should 100% invest in the elite strap. I ordered mine on DEC 26th and mine just came in. So much more comfortable.

I actually much prefer the stock elastic strap. For some reason it just conforms to my head better and makes it easier to get my headset into the sweet spot (and the difference in weight is pretty noticeable too). I've actually thrown my elite strap onto a shelf in my closet and plan on leaving it there lol

Last edited:
I actually much prefer the stock elastic strap. For some reason it just conforms to my head better and makes it easier to get my headset into the sweet spot (and the difference in weight is pretty noticeable too). I've actually thrown my elite strap onto a shelf in my closet and plan on leaving it there lol

standart strap here too, no issues. Many people don't understand top strap needs to be shortened for better weight distribution on top of the head and that the side straps are better bending slightly upwards - yes, you can turn the side grips...

but I guess elite is better if you use glasses or several people in the household use it

CloudNull

Banned
I was wondering...has anyone tried playing native quest games on a very large space? I mean very large, like a parking lot or an empty field, while disabling the guardian?

I'm thinking about re-buying some games just to run around like a maniac in some god-forsaken places xD

I could even rent out an industrial space if it works!
Personally no, but there are tons of youtube videos showing it can be done. Biggest issues is too much light, which causes the sensors to lose tracking. Do it in a warehouse or on an overcast day and you can play with no limits lol.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I played QuestZDOOM some more last night after a quick spell of motion sickness, and I had much better success doing the walk where you look technique. I had motion sickness like this from COD4 and the weapon bob+low res on 360. It would mess me up for hours. Then after a couple weeks it just stopped.

Concerning the strap, for my head and hair I was getting a lot of slippage no matter how I tried to adjust it. I bought one of these cheap strap cushions and it's been a decent improvement.
61n9Kd4IPAL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

^This along with a microfiber cloth for cleaning lenses greatly improved my image clarity and ability to hold the sweet spot.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Why on earth is the Oculus Link cable £89. That seems utterly extortionate.
Facebook is a bit of a rape artist of the old wallet when it comes to extras. The elite strap cost me $50 and it's little more than a piece of plastic. The headset with batttery runs $129. A replacement for a controller is $69 each. The Case is over priced. With that being said, it's all optional.

I am sure they are taking a hit on each Quest 2 sold. They got to make that money up some way.

There are cheaper cables that work the same that cost around $30 if you look around.

perkelson

Why on earth is the Oculus Link cable £89. That seems utterly extortionate.

It is just normal cable you can buy for few bucks. It is basically price for not fucking around. Normies don't even know there are various standards of USB.

Also Oculus updated a lot Quest 2 and it support now pretty much any USB cable. Even 2.0 (!) and somehow they were able to get it working though experience is not great.

Actually i like the strap because i play mostly seated or lying which means such strap would annoy me at the back of my head much like PSVR did when i tried to play seated with head rest.

Last edited:
Official hardware. You can get a good usb 3.2 10gbps cable for a lot less.

Facebook is a bit of a rape artist of the old wallet when it comes to extras. The elite strap cost me $50 and it's little more than a piece of plastic. The headset with batttery runs $129. A replacement for a controller is $69 each. The Case is over priced. With that being said, it's all optional.

I am sure they are taking a hit on each Quest 2 sold. They got to make that money up some way.

There are cheaper cables that work the same that cost around $30 if you look around.

It is just normal cable you can buy for few bucks. It is basically price for not fucking around. Normies don't even know there are various standards of USB.

Also Oculus updated a lot Quest 2 and it support now pretty much any USB cable. Even 2.0 (!) and somehow they were able to get it working though experience is not great.
Thanks everyone, I'll have a shop around and see what I can find! Looking forward to getting around to playing Half Life: Alyx at some point.

Kev Kev

omfg..... i must have this
youll get there dude. just take it slow, put it down as soon as you start to feel sick, and over time your brain will adapt. best part is , once youve got your vr legs, they are there to stay. ill put vr down for weeks or months at a time and as soon as i go back its like i never left.

it took me a couple weeks before i got used to it, and even a couple more weeks to handle heavy movement games like no mans sky... but holy shit, once youre there its incredible. totally worth it! good luck, and have fun! just wait until you get in a space ship or aircraft of some ind an fly around the first time (if you havent already), its one of the funnest things ive experienced in a video game. im so excited for the future of vr.

OnionSnake

Banned
Reading the thread convinced me, used my stimulus to order a quest 2, elite strap, link cable and some prescription lenses.

is the best option for retro emulation EmuVR? I figured there would be more cool front ends for retro arch to use with VR

Romulus

so much growth for VR! I wonder what happened... :pie_thinking:

oh, that's right. Quest 2 was one of the hottest gifts this past Xmas, that's what happened...

VR hit a turning point in 2020 for sure. There's no going back now. With every passing month, the tech is improving and not to mention sales are going up. Before naysayers can blink, it's changing right under their feet and they don't even know. We'll have wireless glasses half the size of Quest 2 with magnitudes more powerful chipsets and cheaper. It's not going anywhere.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

VR hit a turning point in 2020 for sure. There's no going back now. With every passing month, the tech is improving and not to mention sales are going up. Before naysayers can blink, it's changing right under their feet and they don't even know. We'll have wireless glasses half the size of Quest 2 with magnitudes more powerful chipsets and cheaper. It's not going anywhere.
It was admittedly niche until probably late last year. Right now we are witnessing the true beginning of VR as it takes off into mainstream.

Romulus

It was admittedly niche until probably late last year. Right now we are witnessing the true beginning of VR as it takes off into mainstream.

I think it'll be like something we've never seen. Not exactly traditional mainstream, but something that is big enough that it'll never die. Less than 30 million sales for awhile but consistently high software sales.

Buggy Loop

As a new Quest 2 owner, I’m salivating at the Quest 3 possibilities and beyond.

The other VR players have to adjust to this new reality. Having sensor towers, 3 times the price, and wired, should be a thing of the past. I can only see the future heading in Quest’s path. Even the oculus link now being replaced by wireless network, even though I have not made the setup yet, is definitely the way to go from now on. I just hope Oculus releases update to support it more officially in the near future.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

As a new Quest 2 owner, I’m salivating at the Quest 3 possibilities and beyond.

The other VR players have to adjust to this new reality. Having sensor towers, 3 times the price, and wired, should be a thing of the past. I can only see the future heading in Quest’s path. Even the oculus link now being replaced by wireless network, even though I have not made the setup yet, is definitely the way to go from now on. I just hope Oculus releases update to support it more officially in the near future.
You can already do wireless with virtual desktop app and sidequest on your pc.

cyberheater

It’s a great time to be in VR. I started out on the dk2 and now have the Q2. It’s a huge leap.
Playing Doom3 the other day made me realise just how capable the system is to deliver a fully fleshed out high quality full campaign.

I also play standing up, turning my body to steer rather the smooth turning. A couple of hours of that is a reasonable low impact workout of sorts.

Tygeezy

It’s a great time to be in VR. I started out on the dk2 and now have the Q2. It’s a huge leap.
Playing Doom3 the other day made me realise just how capable the system is to deliver a fully fleshed out high quality full campaign.

I also play standing up, turning my body to steer rather the smooth turning. A couple of hours of that is a reasonable low impact workout of sorts.
Crank it up a bit by going into your garage or into a big field and then just move in real life to move in the game!

Buggy Loop

Elite strap with or without battery? I’m wondering if it’s worth the price.

I can't think of any bigger sign of VR going mainstream than the fact that many kids were actually asking their parents for an Oculus Quest 2 for Xmas gift, not a Switch.

while old fart flatties complain VR has no Mario, Pokemon or COD, kids are actually willing to play Minecraft, fnaf, roblox and others in VR and couldn't care less to that old flat baggage. This should be ringing a very alarming bell to those big AAA studios and even Nintendo...

Last edited:

n0razi

I've heard that there is some overhead when using the link cable compared to using a true PCVR headset. It has to encode and decode the video signal or something like that? So you'd get worse performance using a Quest 2 than you would on a standard PCVR headset. Is that correct?

How much overhead? How much performance are we losing?

You wont max out... but it will still look great at lowered settings. Framerate is king when it comes to VR, you want a steady 90fps if at all possible even at a lower resolution.

You will not notice any overhead.... I am using wireless and even that is in the the range of 20s which is just about undetectable

How do you guys monitor your framerate in VR?

Will MSI afterburner or the framerate counter built into Nvidia drivers work?

I found this. It's only $3 but and I don't mind paying, but it just seems weird to have to pay to monitor my framerate.

fpsVR on Steam (steampowered.com)

EDIT : I'm not sure that will work on the Quest 2 either.

Last edited:

I found this. It's only $3 but and I don't mind paying, but it just seems weird to have to pay to monitor my framerate.

same way I do on consoles

tbh, VR is much, much smoother. It obviously privileges framerate over resolution and graphics. So I just don't care, even when frame drops occur occasionally

Last edited:

n0razi

Install OVR Metrics Tool via SideQuest.. it puts a little floating performance monitor (mine displays fps and hz) whereever you want. It works for every game or app in your Quest 2 even over Steam/PC.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

Install OVR Metrics Tool via SideQuest.. it puts a little floating performance monitor (mine displays fps and hz) whereever you want. It works for every game or app in your Quest 2 even over Steam/PC.
Is it something you can toggle on and off easily?

Top Bottom