• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift available for preorder for $599.99, shipping in March

Clawww

A lot of it sounded overblown to me. I'm sure it's hard, but that's your job - figure stuff out. And that IPD adjustment thing looks pretty simple - the Sony HMZ-t1 had something similar. Yet they made that sound the most difficult engineering thing ever. It's just a rack. The fabric confuses me too. Why even bother covering the front? The presenter talked about comfort,but the part that actually rests on your face is foam - the material is mostly just cosmetic (inner lining is useful though)

you're not thinking like an engineer, I guess (I'm not one either, mind you). like, the fabric is probably important for any number of reasons such as weight (obviously key), dust/moisture resistance, durability, whatever. I'm glad they tried to nail every little thing because it all adds up.

Bsigg12

A lot of it sounded overblown to me. I'm sure it's hard, but that's your job - figure stuff out. And that IPD adjustment thing looks pretty simple - the Sony HMZ-t1 had something similar. Yet they made that sound the most difficult engineering thing ever. It's just a rack. The fabric confuses me too. Why even bother covering the front? The presenter talked about comfort,but the part that actually rests on your face is foam - the material is mostly just cosmetic (inner lining is useful though)

The fabric makes it lighter and allows it to breathe effectively allowing the screens better cooling to avoid fogging. The IPD mechanism is interesting because it needs to be very, very sturdy so that the screens aren't shifting with head movements. The Vive has an IPD adjustment as well.

DieH@rd

Banned
The fabric makes it lighter and allows it to breathe effectively allowing the screens better cooling to avoid fogging. The IPD mechanism is interesting because it needs to be very, very sturdy so that the screens aren't shifting with head movements. The Vive has an IPD adjustment as well.

PSVR also has it but it is software-based, same as on DK1/DK2. According to some reports, Sony has adopted "automatic" approach for handling IPD calibration [but that is not verified]. Maybe they have some sensor that looks toward the eyes.

Bsigg12

PSVR also has it but it is software-based, same as on DK1/DK2. According to some reports, Sony has adopted "automatic" approach for handling IPD calibration [but that is not verified]. Maybe they have some sensor that looks toward the eyes.

That's because the PSVR headset is a single display versus the Rift and Vive both using a display for each eye. It'll be interesting to see if people with a wider IPD actually lose FOV in the PSVR since it is a single screen.

YuShtink

Oh man I would've needed therapy if mine came in July haha, end of May was bad enough for me.

I've never been in first batch before but with the freebie I'm hopeful it's gonna be part of that first shipment. Fingers crossed!

I think my order was proably supposed to be June, but I was in the one big batch that got held up at customs for 4 weeks lol. I was livid.

Buggy Loop

Like someone said, weight & have better cooling.

As someone who plays always with TrackIR for PC sims, and tried DK1, i think peoples are seriously underestimating the importance of weight. Its not that TrackIR is heavy, but after looking all over the place in DCS or Elite dangerous, i have neck pains. It was even worst with DK1 since there's some weight to it.

YuShtink

I can see that fabric getting pretty funky collecting shit after awhile.

I thought so too but this except from one guy's impressions makes me hope otherwise:

"The headset is very light and feels very well built, the "material" seems to be made of some sort of dirt/water retardent and does not get dirty and it does NOT collect dandruff or other dirt."

Stiler

So for those of you that have tried one with glasses on how is it? Comfortable?

Would it not be possible (in the future maybe) for them to simply put "Custom" lenses into the rift that can have your prescription in them? That way you can just take your glasses off and use the rift?

I googled a bit and even found people who had found an easy way with the older dev kit models to simply get a pair of lenses made and cut that you can just put into the rift eye cup thingies:
https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?t=6589

newsguy

So for those of you that have tried one with glasses on how is it? Comfortable?

Would it not be possible (in the future maybe) for them to simply put "Custom" lenses into the rift that can have your prescription in them? That way you can just take your glasses off and use the rift?

I googled a bit and even found people who had found an easy way with the older dev kit models to simply get a pair of lenses made and cut that you can just put into the rift eye cup thingies:
https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?t=6589

Why would they do that if people's prescriptions change over time?

I thought so too but this except from one guy's impressions makes me hope otherwise:

"The headset is very light and feels very well built, the "material" seems to be made of some sort of dirt/water retardent and does not get dirty and it does NOT collect dandruff or other dirt."

Well that's good to hear, thanks!

Man

Looks like it's back to Cardboard for me.
Do you have a 2015 Samsung phone? The VR baseline is GearVR imo:
M1ty7uD.png
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/EMcN..._Hardware_The_ConvenienceQuality_Spectrum.php

Mr_eX

I pre ordered. Doesn't ship until June so I'll be able to read reviews and see if people are saying it's worth it or not.

Even if it is well received I may cancel my order anyway. $600 is a lot of money.

Palmer Luckey said they weren't going to do that - someone asked if the updated shipment order (after canceling fraudulent orders) would be made known to people, and he said you'll know when it shows up at your door

That would be annoying. I assume we will at least know when we get a shipping email and a tracking number.

Man

I pre ordered. Doesn't ship until June so I'll be able to read reviews and see if people are saying it's worth it or not.

Even if it is well received I may cancel my order anyway. $600 is a lot of money.
Before the 1st Oculus Rift ships at the end of March the competition will have announced their price and dates. I'm expecting a lot of OR cancellations due to that so maybe you'll move one month up?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I suggest people who want to know more about that tear down image and how the Oculus was put together should watch this talk. It goes into quite a bit of detail on the subject. They estimate about 200-300 individual parts. Here's the mechanism for just the IPD adjustment alone:

D4N9QXx.jpg

I have seen people claiming its made up of just gyroscope, a cheap made-in-china LED screen, accelerometer, motherboard, cheap screws and some duct tapes

Got an email from Oculus 15 minutes ago basically restating my order number and details, saying at the top

email said:
Hi YourNameGoesHere,

Some customers didn't receive their original pre-order confirmations so we are resending them. We apologize if you are receiving yours for the second time.

While it did include the order number it did not show any sort of estimated ship / arrival date.

Mr_eX

Before the 1st Oculus Rift ships at the end of March the competition will have announced their price and dates. I'm expecting a lot of OR cancellations due to that so maybe you'll move one month up?

That would be nice. Still gives me plenty of time to see if it's any good before they ship it.

GeoGonzo

Weird that chart has DK2 and Rift at the same Cost & Inconvenience level? Unless I'm reading that wrong.
Haven't read the article but I'd guess they may have considered DK2 as kinda cheap but fairly annoying to set up, while the final Rift is pretty much plug and play but much more expensive. That way maybe their combined cost + inconvenience ends up being similar across both units.

Haven't read the article but I'd guess they may have considered DK2 as kinda cheap but fairly annoying to set up, while the final Rift is pretty much plug and play but much more expensive. That way maybe their combined cost + inconvenience ends up being similar across both units.

Ahhh, that makes sense. The DK2 was very irritating after the SDK's started really coming out ... from a "consuthiast" standpoint. But if it helped get us where we are now .. .so be it!

Ahhh, that makes sense. The DK2 was very irritating after the SDK's started really coming out ... from a "consuthiast" standpoint. But if it helped get us where we are now .. .so be it!

I'd love to easily play Alien Isolation and HL2 still, but between upgrading to windows 10, upgrading the SDK and Valve upgrading Steam VR... it's way too much hassle right now to get them working. I think Alien Isolation isn't going to work with the CV1 no matter what you do, but I hope Valve support the CV1. I mean I presume once they patch HL2 to work with Steam VR properly that it will, but they obviously aren't going to make a big deal about it.

Something people are kind of missing is that it's in Valve's interest for CV1 users to use Steam VR and buy those titles too, even if it isn't in HTC's interests. It's in HTC's interest to make a better room scale experience since that seems to be what Valve are really interested in, but I hope they don't forget about other titles.

I haven't finished playing through Episode 2 yet :)

Hawk269

I'm expecting around 500.000 pre-orders by now.

That is a lot if accurate. But I have a feeling that it is way off. With Palmer talking about the tech and all, I think these things take a bit more to construct than your average electronic item. Since we do not know what the manufacturing capacity is per day/week/month it is hard to know exactly how many they have made.

Looooool seen first launch games in action...no thanks, what a turd. I'm open to seeing what they be able to produce with AAA titles likes of RE, GTA, sports games...etc, is that even a possibility?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Well I exoect Vive to be noticeably more expensive than the already very poorly received OR price, and to ship months later.

PSVR isn't direct competition for most people that have preordered.

I don't expect many cancellations because of that. Cold feet/calm rational thought post preorder rush - maybe will cut some.

Trace

Banned
Looooool seen first launch games in action...no thanks, what a turd. I'm open to seeing what they be able to produce with AAA titles likes of RE, GTA, sports games...etc, is that even a possibility?

Eve Valkyrie is probably the highest budget you're going to see for a "designed for VR" game for the moment. There are a few AAA games that will include VR modes, mostly the PSVR titles, but you're not going to see a "designed for VR" GTA for the forseeable future. I don't understand the turd comment though.

This doesn't look fun to you?

Izayoi

Banned
Eve Valkyrie is probably the highest budget you're going to see for a "designed for VR" game for the moment. There are a few AAA games that will include VR modes, mostly the PSVR titles, but you're not going to see a "designed for VR" GTA for the forseeable future. I don't understand the turd comment though.

I played Valkyrie at PAX 2014 and it was a blast then, I can't imagine how awesome it will be with the CV1...

Helznicht

Vive still looks like its in prototype phase though.

Being in Prototype is an advantage as they can make improvements over CV1 before final release, IMO.

The ugly headset and large controllers aren't doing it any favors.

Comments from hands on is the Vive Dev kit 2 is smaller and lighter from earlier models.

It seems like the only thing that's better is the room tracking They are really going to need to knock it out of the park on the software level.

Tracking in general is faster on the Vive. Plus it has much less issues with occlusion. if you put your hand up in front of the single camera (or some one reaches over, etc) of the Oculus it will loose you, and immersion will suffer. Vive has a wider FOV (however slight), Vibe has a break away box between the headset and PC, so you cant accidentally break your PC ports if you get pulled away. Vive has a camera to give some real world awareness at the push of the button. Motion controllers are more robust development wise (software and hardware) vs oculus it seems, and will ship with them included. Only thing Oculus seems to have over Vibe is better optics, and like you said, VIVE is still in development.

They are really going to need to knock it out of the park on the software level.

They got Steam and all its partners/developers. The Elite waffling on CV1 is telling.

Tracking in general is faster on the Vive. Plus it has much less issues with occlusion. if you put your hand up in front of the single camera (or some one reaches over, etc) of the Oculus it will loose you, and immersion will suffer. Vive has a wider FOV (however slight), Vibe has a break away box between the headset and PC, so you cant accidentally break your PC ports if you get pulled away. Vive has a camera to give some real world awareness at the push of the button. Motion controllers are more robust development wise (software and hardware) vs oculus it seems, and will ship with them included. Only thing Oculus seems to have over Vibe is better optics, and like you said, VIVE is still in development.

I don't know if you're aware, but you just agreed with what the poster you responded to said. Vive is better at room tracking. Oculus is better at everything else. At least right now.

I have no faith that the market is anywhere near ready for room tracking, particularly with the thick cable you have to drag behind you. It'll be really fun once someone starts turning around on the spot and end up tripping.

kavanf1

I played Valkyrie at PAX 2014 and it was a blast then, I can't imagine how awesome it will be with the CV1...

Looks like a modern version of Star Fox.

Wallach

They got Steam and all its partners/developers. The Elite waffling on CV1 is telling.

Elite devs aren't waffling on CV1, they just relied on extended mode and support for that was dropped from the SDK. They already said they are committed to getting ED working with the 1.0 SDK.

Being in Prototype is an advantage as they can make improvements over CV1 before final release, IMO.

If you have an April launch date, I just don't see how much it will change on a hardware level. Software sure.

Comments from hands on is the Vive Dev kit 2 is smaller and lighter from earlier models.

My comments were about the appearance of the Vive Pre devices, which is the final consumer edition no? To me it still looks ugly and the remotes don't seem as functional or ergonomic as Occulus Touch remotes. So far it still comes last in the level of comfort compared to PSVR and Occulus, even with the latest dev kit.

Motion controllers are more robust development wise (software and hardware) vs oculus it seems, and will ship with them included.

That is nice, but the delay of the Occulus Touch gives them time to get it right.

Sure, but in this kind of market, it makes very little sense to do exclusives on a VR device unless the platform holders are paying well for it. If VR is going to take off, I expect most games to be multiplatform on Vive, CV1, and PSVR. I'm excited for all the devices, and I don't think you'll be at a great disadvantage game-wise whichever you purchase. Let's say the Vive costs the same as Occulus, well that makes the choice just a little more difficult. However if it costs more, like a $100+, I'd be asking myself if the software on these gen 1 products is really going to be worth that cost and how much will it take advantage of device-specific features? It's like how the DS4 touchpad is so useless, since Xbox One doesn't have one, so developers do minimal crap like map selection. Even PS4 exclusives don't do much with it.

It's due out less than a month later. They have to be starting full production very soon, if not already. Upload VR was told "the final consumer Vive may change between now and launch". I'd expect nothing but very minimal tweaks at this stage.

We know fully well why Elite's CV1 support is still being worked on. They've talked about working on it, and have given final CV1 recommended specs. Also Oculus works fine with Steam, what advantage does Vive gave in that regard? There are already dozens of Oculus games on Steam. Windlands just released yesterday on Steam with Oculus support.

Got an email from Oculus 15 minutes ago basically restating my order number and details, saying at the top

While it did include the order number it did not show any sort of estimated ship / arrival date.
Yeah, the emails don't include that, the only place to see your estimated ship date is on the order screen when you first order.

Helznicht

I don't know if you're aware, but you just agreed with what the poster you responded to said. Vive is better at room tracking. Oculus is better at everything else. At least right now.

Other than:

* Wider FOV
* Longer Cables
* Breakaway Box
* Front Camera
* Included Motion Controls

You are absolutely correct.

Helznicht

If you have an April launch date, I just don't see how much it will change on a hardware level. Software sure.

My comments were about the appearance of the Vive Pre devices, which is the final consumer edition no? To me it still looks ugly and the remotes don't seem as functional or ergonomic as Occulus Touch remotes. So far it still comes last in the level of comfort compared to PSVR and Occulus, even with the latest dev kit.

That is nice, but the delay of the Occulus Touch gives them time to get it right.

So delay of Vive = what you see is what you get.
Delay of Oculus controls = Time can lead to improvement.

Both are targeted for 2nd quarter orders. Hard to have it both ways.

Top Bottom