• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift CV1 images found in CSS (potential input sneak peek?)

Hopefully VR movies won't be exclusive to Oculus, like sold through a Facebook store or something. I'd be willing to lay down cash to at least try that experience out

Krejlooc

Banned
Hopefully VR movies won't be exclusive to Oculus, like sold through a Facebook store or something. I'd be willing to lay down cash to at least try that experience out

Google announced Google Jump at their conference. So no way will at least some VR movies be exclusive to the rift.

The most used omnidirectional rig in film is from Jaunt anyways, and they have no affiliation with Oculus.

SmartBase

Hopefully they'll have cheaper versions of the headset without the DAC and earphone things since I already have a better setup.

if you have an android phone, get one of those cheap Cardboard VR headsets and download Kaiju Fury from the store. That alone sold me on VR movies.

It's amazing to watch a movie where you can watch in any direction.

quesalupa

What the hell does this thing 65GB of my hard hrive for? And are those specs right? I thought the CEO said it would cost a ton of money to be able to run this thing.

Bsigg12

What the hell does this thing 65GB of my hard hrive for? And are those specs right? I thought the CEO said it would cost a ton of money to be able to run this thing.

Specs are still probably place holder, hence the check yo specs and shit comment. They have announced some recommended (?) specs already though.

Ferrio

Banned
if you have an android phone, get one of those cheap Cardboard VR headsets and download Kaiju Fury from the store. That alone sold me on VR movies.

It's amazing to watch a movie where you can watch in any direction.

Which pales in comparison to even the Devkit 1.

Theonik

Hopefully they'll have cheaper versions of the headset without the DAC and earphone things since I already have a better setup.
They don't really cost very much. You are looking at under $10 on the BOM of the device. And they probably don't want to push that many SKUs.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Fugly. (not that it matters because I'd almost never be looking at it) Cheap built-in headphones = all my nopes.

Theonik

For like the 5th time, they are not cheap, crappy headphones.
They are cheap. Which doesn't mean they are crappy. People tend to forget what the principle cost of headphones is engineering not the materials that go into them and on high-end headphones a lot of snake-oil added on top of low-volume premiums.

Seanspeed

Banned
They are cheap. Which doesn't mean they are crappy. People tend to forget what the principle cost of headphones is engineering not the materials that go into them and on high-end headphones a lot of snake-oil added on top of low-volume premiums.
Right, fair enough. Inexpensive is the word I'd rather use, cuz calling them 'cheap headphones' will inevitably lead to negative associations. It's relative, too. They aren't like $10 cheap, either.

Anyways, first CV1 impressions?

Andrej Karpathy@karpathy
Holy crap just tried out oculus consumer release candidate hardware (due on early 2016). Supermazing. Instant buy when it comes out

ido

Is it Thursday yet?

Some choice quotes from Palmer about the headphones quality:

You will be able, but you probably won't want to. Our audio stack is fully integrated and optimized for VR, from software to DAC to amp to headphone drivers.

Rift CV1 audio is going to be far superior to your A40s. Most of your $200 went to marketing, retailers, and profit margins.

I don't think there is going to be any concern for me about the audio quality.

I do think Oculus is going for hand tracking(and possibly finger tracking), though. It's not a coincidence that Palmer tweeted an image of Lucas the Powerglove kid days before the big input reveal.

And CV1 looks very, very light. This thing is going to be a dream to wear, and I hope Vive changes their CV design to something more comfortable than the elastic strap they are using now.

I think he was alluding to Palmer Luckey hinting (might be an overblown toying) about a powerglove solution on his twitter a few days back. No need to rise expectations if they are not delivering on that.

"Raise expectations"? "hinting"? He made a joke, that's it. His entire tweet:

CGxJifmUkAARSse.jpg

ido

"Raise expectations"? "hinting"? He made a joke, that's it. His entire tweet:

Palmer knows how rabid the subreddit is with any morsel of info, and it was obviously a deliberate joke about input. He has said in the past that input is his pet project, and while this was a joke, it wasn't just completely random.

Theonik

Palmer knows how rabid the subreddit is with any morsel of info, and it was obviously a deliberate joke about input. He has said in the past that input is his pet project, and while this was a joke, it wasn't just completely random.
He's probably hiring the kid to give the presentation on input clearly.

Top Bottom