• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift pre-orders to open on January 6 8am pacific time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gemüsepizza;191402480 said:
$599? That's insane. They should have dropped the Xbox One controller and made it $499. Didn't they say that they won't make a profit from this device? Sure. Lmao.

You really think dropping the controller would lop off $100? lol

HelloMeow

d1d112596c2931421999a1cc54be71ea.gif

Tirod

Content with the price point. I'm focusing on saving up for a powerful PC by year's end, and added 800 to the total cost to accomodate the Rift.

Totally understand people abandoning ship, but I'm not awestruck by the price.

Now I just need to know how much PSVR and NX are gonna be. Pricey year.

[EDIT] And I suppose to contribute to the actual topic at hand, I can't add it to my cart yet either.

lol. Far, far too much. I doubt I'll be getting a VR machine any time soon.

I'll think about it again when it has some good exclusive software and is <£300.

Kuga

$600 was my guess - again, enthusiasts will pay this price gladly for the latest and greatest.

Mass-market comes in 3-4 years, folks.

georly

Prices for brand new tech are always expensive, I don't know what people were expecting.

Hell, DVD players and blu ray players were both insane at launch - not sure why anyone expected anything different :/

It'll get cheaper as time goes by and demand goes up and more competition enters the space, just like all new entertainment tech. Consoles are the exception, usually, because they expect to make money back on software down the line.

Well that explains the pack ins.

It's $100 more than I was expecting. I mean, given how updated it is from the DK2 I can understand it, but yeah, that's on the higher end of expectations so there's going to be some upset.

Phatcorns

So we don't even have a confirmation that it's 599, people could just be lying right? Has anyone actually managed to get into the store?

$600 is too much for me without enough dedicated games yet. I know I'm feeding into the chicken-and-egg scenario but I don't want to pay that much for something I'll use for three-four days and then shelf, only to occasionally use it for a trickle of demos for months to come.

gwarm01

If I'm going to throw down way too much money pre-ordering an unproven pipe-dream, I might as well wait for the Tesla Model 3 to be revealed in March.

Gemüsepizza;191402480 said:
$599? That's insane. They should have dropped the Xbox One controller and made it $499. Didn't they say that they won't make a profit from this device? Sure. Lmao.

They probably decided they had to make money off the hardware when they realized the software side of things wasn't panning out as intended. Or maybe they are just really confident in their product. Either way, I think it's a bad move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom