• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 announced, up for preorder (based on Crystal Cove)

I just made an impulsive decision and ordered the DK2... I can't wait any longer.

I don't even have a gaming PC.

What kind of GPU (and how many) should I get to get the best experience out of this?

Please respond

I thought this too, but it's $350 (unless you have those crazy taxes) and I will get at least a few months of enjoyment out of it. I have spent that much just on a couple dinners and a trip to the Zoo or if I take the family to a movie that's $30-40.

If the price was at $500+, it would be a lot easier to say no, but to be able to see this in action months before widespread release (I'll buy CIV1 too) is enough for me to go all-in.

I also have a Fanatec racing setup and Arsetto Corsa ... so that is also really pushing this purchase. I will need to get a new vid-card but that was inevitable this year sometime anyway.

Honestly, if you have the money and are an enthusiast, I don't see why not. Sony's and Oculus' VR isn't going to be out for AT LEAST 8 months, this gives you a 1/2 year to experiment and play with it ... and sell it if it really comes down to it. You won't be out much.

You can be quite convincing. Putting that money into perspective, the $350 doesn't seem like all that much for how much I'd be getting out of the device. I'm currently interested in the development aspect as well, so that's something that wouldn't be in the consumer kit anyway. I think I'll go ahead and pull the trigger..

Soi-Fong

Do we know if Maxwell is coming out around the time DK2 ships. I currently have an HD 5970 and an i7 2600k.

I really don't want to upgrade till Maxwell is out.

fade_

I just made an impulsive decision and ordered the DK2... I can't wait any longer.

I don't even have a gaming PC.

What kind of GPU (and how many) should I get to get the best experience out of this?

Please respond

How much money are you willing to spend?

Do we know if Maxwell is coming out around the time DK2 ships. I currently have an HD 5970 and an i7 2600k.

I really don't want to upgrade till Maxwell is out.

I'm in the same boat with a HD 6870 and a Phenom II x965. Grabbing a new GPU, Mobo, CPU, and Peripheral would be quite the investment. I'm hoping that it'll come out soon, I keep seeing GTX 7xx series deals, and it's getting more and more difficult to wait.

creyas

500 dallahs for me. Finger hovering on the button. Thinking i should just do it and cancel if i get regrets.

edit: Fucking did it. PayPal too

I have a Radeon 6870, an intel i7, 12 GB of RAM. I can run most PC games on maximum settings at 1080p (when I do play Tomb Raider, for example, in 3D, I simply have to turn a few settings down slightly).

Should I be worried about whether I will get good performance with this?

Oh yeah, tried both of those.

Really loved the K&N Station demo that transports you to the bat cave. Very, very cool Fifth Element vibe.

You really need to download and try Affected. Probably the absolute best horror experience yet on the Rift.

Oh I have that demo was insane, great production quality for a demo. The moment
you step into the ballroom in the manor and the furniture begins floating was a big "whoa" moment

Horror is definitely one of my favorite genres and have loved what's been done so far in VR for it. Hoping somebody makes an Amnesia style game with native Rift support.

ido

Oh I have that demo was insane, great production quality for a demo. The moment
you step into the ballroom in the manor and the furniture begins floating was a big "whoa" moment

Horror is definitely one of my favorite genres and have loved what's been done so far in VR for it. Hoping somebody makes an Amnesia style game with native Rift support.

I've honestly had more fun just in the "experiences" than the games with my DK1.

Evo X

Ok, I managed to successfully order using Internet Explorer. Don't know why Firefox seems to be fucking up the process.

Order number is JK-17#####.

Not sure where that places me in line.

Should finally be able to put this GTX 780Ti to some use.

Interesting, so you've gotten games like Sonic and Metro working in 3D using Steam VR? How does the performance compare to TriDef? If there's a decent fps boost I'll def look into that as an option.

No. Sorry if my typo confused things. I've played those games using TriDef's software with the Rift (it has very limited support for a few games). I have not played them using Steam VR, I just think the Steam VR approach is the way to go, and for a game like Sonic which has native built in S3D support (with side by side mode), it should be very easy to implement something like that into Steam VR.

For Valve, that is.

Zeth

is asetto corsa already compatible? last time i got over 100 fps easy with a 7970

It appears so, but it has a long way to go I think. From what I've read, a triple screen setup is preferable in its current state. Still - one of my most anticipated VR experiences.

They're making it seem like consumer release is 2015, not this year.

Well they said it won't be out in 2014, I'd guess next summer

Think I'm gonna wait as long as possible to buy a PC and then try to figure out what to get

Even better! It was a bit odd in the interviews how insistent they were that consumers should wait. I would guess that's simply because they didn't want to have to manufacture a huge amount for a dev kit.

There are universal drivers, but they need to be configured with every game. One is supposed to work particularly well (the name escapes me at this point), but it's $50.

If it works great, $50 is very reasonable. Does it have a "theater" mode as well? Often a floating rectangle is more relaxing than surround vision.

But even if they're universal drivers, they only work for PC games. It doesn't simply change the signal. I want to plug in my PS3 and play Shadow of the Colossus (yea, it's pixelated mess). Sadly, drivers have to be installed into the actual game files - PC games. And when Rift can accept any video, that means it can accept PS4. So they could beat Morpheus at its own game. Lag will be a factor but probably not much.

Surely it's technically feasable use a PC with video in or a custom made video throughput device that converts any video signal into a Rift image. As soon as any video signal can be displayed on Rift, I'm off to Never Never Land. Especially when they reach UHD displays, I'm marathoning all 100 hours of the Hobbit and LOTR trilogies in my private floating screen theater.

350$ is much cheaper then I expected the first real consumer VR products to be.

I was more in the $500 realm expectation. Very impressive.

Coreda

Haven't keep pace with the changes, so now the positional head tracking supports physical up/down body movements? Nice progress.

Can the camera also track your arms? I've been looking forward to that ability.

is asetto corsa already compatible? last time i got over 100 fps easy with a 7970

Yes, but it's rough from what I've read. Hopefully there will be more polish by the time this is released.

So, is there a "spec" thread somewhere or is this kind of the unofficial DK2 thread? I know I'll have to upgrade my GPU and get some more RAM, but I'd rather not rebuild my whole system (and that probably isn't likely).

HD 6870
8 GB DDR3
i5 - 3570k
SSD

I'm hoping for a decent video card around $300-400 in a couple months (when DK2 comes) and I'll order some more RAM shortly. What is the most dependent piece of hardware, the video card I assume?

creyas

Why do you guys keep saying cancel? Is it really that easy to cancel?

Going by my fast skim of the terms cancelling is just fine until it ships.

e:
3.6 After Acceptance, you may not modify or cancel your order without our prior written consent; provided, however: (a) we may cancel your order at any time after Acceptance and prior to shipment for any reason in our sole discretion, and in such event, we will issue you a credit or refund; and (b) for any “pre-orders” of the Product (as specifically identified on the Site), you are permitted to cancel your pre-order up until such time as the Product has been shipped (the foregoing collectively constitutes our “Cancellation Policy“).

Dex815

I was totally going for it by $350 (250€), but then with taxes it is $480 (350€)! Fuck it!

I preordered... I'm weak :(

solarus

I was totally going for it by $350 (250€), but then with taxes it is $480 (350€)! Fuck it!

I preordered... I'm weak :(

Does that include custom fees?
Can anyone please tell me if I'll have to pay additional custom fees if ordering in the UK or is it included in the cost as they use a European distributor?

E-Cat

tested.com tries DK2 and confirms a greater FOV, both horizontally and vertically! Increased FOV
Hate to rain on everyone's parade, but my gut feeling is they were mostly trying to say the wider sweet spot makes it seem as though the FoV is increased. The new specs state "100º Field of View (nominal)", which doesn't make it sound like Oculus are being very scientific about this.

There's also the following quote:

Road to VR said:
>>where the DK1 feels like looking through binoculars into another world, the DK2 feels like sticking your head out the window into another world. That’s not to say that the field of view is higher, but there’s something far more comfortable about using the DK2>>

http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-developer-kit-2-dk2-pre-order-release-date-specs-gdc-2014/

I've honestly had more fun just in the "experiences" than the games with my DK1.

Same, I don't even really enjoy "playing" anything (though HL2 VR with a Hydra is pretty cool) more so than just taking in environments and feeling immersed in them. As shoddy as performance was for me I even enjoyed exploring lots of different areas in Second Life with the Rift. Something about the simple geometry and lighting really gave me a sense of depth and immersion I didn't feel with other things. Can't remember the name but one area in SL that had a Blade Runner cityscape theme was just the best, with music from the soundtrack playing while exploring it.

Virtual tourism and social spaces I think are really where VR will take off.

riflen

People asking whether their PC is sufficient:

Q: What are the minimum requirements and recommended specifications for the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2?

A: Minimum requirements: A computer running a Windows 7 or higher, Mac OS 10.8 or higher, or Ubuntu 12.04 LTS operating system, 2 USB ports (at least one powered), and a DVI-D or HDMI graphics output.

Recommended specifications: A desktop computer running a dedicated graphics card with DVI-D or HDMI graphics output, with capability of running current generation 3D games at 1080p resolution at 75fps or higher.

https://support.oculusvr.com/hc/en-us/articles/201835987-Oculus-Rift-Development-Kit-2-FAQ

People asking whether their PC is sufficient:

Q: What are the minimum requirements and recommended specifications for the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2?

A: Minimum requirements: A computer running a Windows 7 or higher, Mac OS 10.8 or higher, or Ubuntu 12.04 LTS operating system, 2 USB ports (at least one powered), and a DVI-D or HDMI graphics output.

Recommended specifications: A desktop computer running a dedicated graphics card with DVI-D or HDMI graphics output, with capability of running current generation 3D games at 1080p resolution at 75fps or higher.

https://support.oculusvr.com/hc/en-us/articles/201835987-Oculus-Rift-Development-Kit-2-FAQ

Well, looks like it's time for an upgrade then. My 6870 seems to struggle to hit 60fps on games that have their settings set above medium.

fvng

Has anyone made a tech demo in the style of The Lawnmower Man? As someone who grew up in the 90s, I've been waiting a long time for that. The VR Portion of the SNES games were the closest I came

LawnmowerMan1-JobeVR.jpg

479758-the-lawnmower-man-snes-screenshot-another-virtual-reality.png

Top Bottom