• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Struct09

I just wish Dark Souls 3 has come out sooner because I would be reasonably distracted and care much less about when my Rift will show up.

Dineren

Banned
The most annoying thing is the seeming lack of structure to things. Started off with KS backers, now it's both together. KS aren't shipping in any logical order either, so we have both a delay, and no realistic way to predict when ours will be here.

Same with vive too.

Yeah, the unpredictable shipping on both is incredibly annoying. It may be silly since I will almost certainly get both in April, but I am half tempted to just cancel both orders, add VR, oculus, vive to my hide forum thread list, and come back in 6 months when they are more easily available.

Bizzquik

*ugh*
When is VorpX going to be updated?

I mean, I freely admit that I'm being impatient - as Oculus just released v1.3 the other day - but I really want to try some of my favorite games in faux-VR !!

mario_O

Look at this; Adr1ft performance. There are lots of spots where the frame drops and makes you sick.
YIMb.png

980Ti + i7 2700K 4.5ghzs + Windows 10 + 16GB Ram

Do you guys think it's because my CPU is not matching Oculus' standard? CPU It's only at 29% usage in the picture.
I'm not using a CV1, I have a DK2.

How is it running for you?

I tried Luckys tale sitting and standing, but I actually found sprawling myself onto the nice carpet to be the best way to play it, cross legged like I kid playing with toys.

I can feel anchored when the camera (very gently) moves about and still place myself in and around the scene, crawling through passages and whatnot.

I'm really really trying to be patient, but the fact that the Vive is actually out and people are getting shipments of it and the Rift "launch" was over a week ago with no one knowing when they are even shipping out... this is bad. If I didn't have one of the first preorders at the 5min mark, I'd really be tempted to cancel. I was a HUGE Oculus supporter and have praised them until this "launch". Got a DK2 when preorders for them went up and couldn't say enough good things. My hype and loyalty for Oculus has pretty much went out the window. The damage has been done. Free Shipping is nice, but I'd rather pay double what shipping was going to cost to just have the damn thing at this point.

I ordered a Vive the day preorders went up and have an April shipping for that too, and have now leaned more toward that device than the Rift. I love the Oculus store and think it's a very neat and cool way to interface with the storefront and be in a virtual space, but man, they botched this almost to the point of unrepair for me. Like I said, I'm trying to be patient, I'm trying to have self control, but now seeing the Vive out there with people bringing it home and having fun with it.... damn, I'm kinda jealous. This whole thread had the potential of being on fire and having so many good discussions, but the "launch" was so terribly handled that it basically salted the earth for most people on the Rift; myself included.

I'm not canceling my order, I'm keeping both devices, but dang, I'm really soured on Oculus at the moment. I'm keeping very low expectations for Oculus from now on.

You do know that Vive is having their own issues with shipping. Also, Oculus has been shipping Rifts out since last Wednesday. Both headsets are now shipping. Both are having their issues.

Look at this; Adr1ft performance. There are lots of spots where the frame drops and makes you sick.
YIMb.png

980Ti + i7 2700K 4.5ghzs + Windows 10 + 16GB Ram

Do you guys think it's because my CPU is not matching Oculus' standard? CPU It's only at 29% usage in the picture.
I'm not using a CV1, I have a DK2.

How is it running for you?
Adr1ft works great for me. GTx 980, i7 5930K 16 gigs of ram.

And as i said i would I checked. Project Cars bought from the Oculus store has no play on desktop mode.

Wollan

I have encountered my first boss in Chronos (
giant cyclops
) and at first sight it was really daunting and put some tension in me. A Souls game would feel almost overwhelming in VR.

I have died several times right now (one hit kill). Is the challenge as straight forward as it seems or?...

charpunk

I have encountered my first boss in Chronos (
giant cyclops
) and at first sight it was really daunting and put some tension in me. A Souls game would feel almost overwhelming in VR.

I have died several times right now (one hit kill). Is the challenge as straight forward as it seems or?...

If it's the first time you've seen him, you're not supposed to fight it yet.

Wollan

I actually need a hint for what to do next if you have it. I would guess it's to
get Cyclops to kick something?
but I have no real clue.

I don't really know of many loose threads to explore at this point:
One door needs a keycard and another needs a key. I have a flame ability but can't remember something that can be ignited.

edit: I found a video walk-through. That was it? I tried a couple of times but didn't seem to have enough time. https://youtu.be/4nLs_hW1G1o?t=851

Wollan

Anyone else have had Chronos go dark on them? It has happened to me three times so far and takes down both HMD and monitor. I have to force a system reboot each time. edit: It might simply be that my PC is overclocked too much. Got various artifacts on my fourth crash just now. Clocked it back a bit.

You need to sleep on it. Always works for Dark Souls.
Often very true for Souls.

Wollan

I'm really enjoying Chronos at this point. It has a very low barrier for being enjoyable where you can sort of drop in half-an-hour (that easily creeps to an hour or two) and do some questing, enjoy some tense combat and have a decent amount of atmosphere.

charpunk

In Chronos..

Has anyone found the Krell Kite Shield? I can't find it anywhere. I've seen people using it before the second boss in streams.

Nothing for anyone today? Come on, man... I just want to stop trying to weigh options in theory and finally try one of these damn things.

Hours vary for when they start to process. They did some Australia orders a couple of hours ago. I hope that isn't all for tonight. Maybe after midnight.

Enordash

Hours vary for when they start to process. They did some Australia orders a couple of hours ago. I hope that isn't all for tonight. Maybe after midnight.

I keep getting my hopes up when an email rolls in. This time it was Dropbox; before that it was some EA customer survey. This is pretty much the last day for it to go out for me to have a proper weekend with the thing. Fingers crossed. They must still be incredibly busy though. I've seen no real activity on Twitter.

Enordash

Shouldn't be.

Yea, HDMI to mini HDMI should be fine. They do claim that it's a bad idea to adapt to a different input type though.

Edit: For people that have played games like Lucky's Tale, Chronos and AirMech, is your neck constantly craned downward? Seems like it would be a real pain after a short period of time.

Yesterday was rough for preorders if you weren't in Australia.

Australia is actually past the six minute mark. Everywhere else saw no movement on preorders.

We are officially into the third week of the three week window.

Enordash

Yesterday was rough for preorders if you weren't in Australia.

Australia is actually past the six minute mark. Everywhere else saw no movement on preorders.

We are officially into the third week of the three week window.

That's pretty disappointing to hear. It sounds like we can't even correctly judge the progress on orders since they keep jumping around and focusing on individual regions.

That's pretty disappointing to hear. It sounds like we can't even correctly judge the progress on orders since they keep jumping around and focusing on individual regions.

That seems to be the way they're handling it. At first they were handling even Canada/US separately but now they seem to be lumped together. Then there seem to be people they have completely skipped between the start of preorders and five minute mark.

I may go mad trying to make sense of it all. Better to just say it's going to come when it comes at this point.

Enordash

That seems to be the way they're handling it. At first they were handling even Canada/US separately but now they seem to be lumped together. Then there seem to be people they have completely skipped between the start of preorders and five minute mark.

I may go mad trying to make sense of it all. Better to just say it's going to come when it comes at this point.

I really hate it because every bit of bad news I get about this launch makes me consider the competition that much more.

Wollan

Defeated the first boss in Chronos. Game has provided a handful of memorable moments so far. One of my favorites is hinted at in trailers but just extra nice to see in person as it is very convincing. It is when
you shrink in size and you go fight wind-up soldier-toys in a bookshelf while giant full-size troopers walk in the room outside.

RealMeat

Banned
In Chronos..

Has anyone found the Krell Kite Shield? I can't find it anywhere. I've seen people using it before the second boss in streams.
If you have the master key, I think it was through a door just before the talking tree room. On the wall in one of the rooms in the area leading to the painting.

Defeated the first boss in Chronos. Game has provided a handful of memorable moments so far. One of my favorites is hinted at in trailers but just extra nice to see in person as it is very convincing. It is when
you shrink in size and you go fight wind-up soldier-toys in a bookshelf while giant full-size troopers walk in the room outside.

Everything I am hearing about this game is getting more and more excited. I didn't even have it on my launch radar a while ago.

LaneDS

The impressions in the thread got me hyped, but watching trailers last night (for Chronos) deflated that some. Really highlights how hard marketing VR is going to be, because I believe folks are really enjoying it but viewing trailers makes it look really ho hum.

Enordash

A Vive blog just went up detailing issues and FAQs. Oculus should follow suit. I suppose their apology email was better than nothing though.

The impressions in the thread got me hyped, but watching trailers last night (for Chronos) deflated that some. Really highlights how hard marketing VR is going to be, because I believe folks are really enjoying it but viewing trailers makes it look really ho hum.

I agree that it's going to be hard to market some VR games. I can personally say that the first time I saw Lucky's Tale I was incredibly unimpressed. Now, after dwelling on it for a while, it's one of my most anticipated games to play.

Riptwo

In Chronos..

Is that the larger shield? I found it on a wall in the dining hall where there's a spear enemy. It isn't far from the door that you unlock after defeating the cyclops.

I imagine PSVR will have stock issues as well. Though the overall distribution will be a lot smoother since it will be through retail storefronts.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I imagine PSVR will have stock issues as well. Though the overall distribution will be a lot smoother since it will be through retail storefronts.

They've got months to build and stockpile products. It should not be an issue for them.

They've got months to build and stockpile products. It should not be an issue for them.

Oculus claimed to have a stockpile as well. It's always a problem in the first week or two of an anticipated product. Preorders will be filled for most and there will be short delays for the rest. Standard console style launch I would imagine.

Anyway:

Other than the Australian updates below, there was quite simply nothing going on last night. Here's a recap of where we're at in shipping in the regions:
US/Canada - 05:17 in the US and 05:15 in Canada.
Europe - 06:03 from the UK.
Australia/NZ - 06:27 from Melbourne.
Asia - LOL:LOL 残念 /u/Aftershok

LaneDS

Oculus claimed to have a stockpile as well. It's always a problem in the first week or two of an anticipated product. Preorders will be filled for most and there will be short delays for the rest. Standard console style launch I would imagine.

Anyway:

That Reddit rumor posted last week about faulty lens sure seems pretty legit at this point, so I could totally believe that they *did* have a stockpile. Problem was that there were issues contained within.

But it's all speculation at this point, obviously.

Hm, wonder what it actually is then? From the little official communication we got, that prank didn't seem too far off the mark (just not the lens, I guess?).

A component shortage.

I do find the way they can only process one country at a time a little odd as well. There might be some truth to processing issues.

LaneDS

A component shortage.

I do find the way they can only process one country at a time a little odd as well. There might be some truth to processing issues.

More specifically meant "which component?" but it's all going to be speculation anyway, so probably wasn't worth asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom