• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaneDS

This is the first time ever I checked my bank account and got all excited to see drastically less money in it... and then I realized my rent check was cashed. Womp.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I don't think floodgates can be expected until at least the 12th sadly

They did say they expected the people who got the 1-3 weeks email would still get it in that timeframe.

Seiru

Banned
Man, I totally thought finally getting an order through at :16 would at least get me early-mid April.

I'm never getting this thing at this rate...

Was totally going to sell my DK2 but I found a cool porcelain skull to put it on

pxZoIae.jpg

This shipping fiasco sure has shut up Palmer recently. Usually we hear from him more often.

I'm imagining that something went wrong with the manufacturing process that requires them to manually open every box and replace (or add) a component in it, maybe such as the wireless dongle for the Xbox One controller. If so, it's probably all hands on deck to do this as quickly as possible, and it would certainly explain why orders are being shipped so slowly, and it would keep Palmer too busy to deal with Twitter.

Doh! Seems like almost nothing shipped tonight. I'm an :05:48. Given that the site was down for me until then I thought that meant I'd get a launch day RIft. He we are a week later and I now have to admit it likely won't arrive for at least another week. I wish I knew how many non KS Rifts have shipped so far. But I would wager that number is under 1000 in the USA. What a joke!

Thankfully my Vive arrives today. Can't believe my Vive will arrive before my Rift but I won't complain about getting the chance to install a holodeck in my house :). I am so lucky to get it! I feel sorry for those that are still in VR limbo. Keep hope alive!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
time for my daily oculus order page refresh. I don't even have to type anything into search anymore - its the first thing that appears when I click the search bar in gmail.

Nope - still 'preorder' status.

time for my daily oculus order page refresh. I don't even have to type anything into search anymore - its the first thing that appears when I click the search bar in gmail.

I know that feeling.

I've given up on this thing arriving anytime soon.

MaxiLive

I got the processing e-mail over the weekend and just checked my order today and it's out for delivery! As is my Vive x.x seems like today is VR day for me.

I'm from the UK with the order number 26xxxxx

Enordash

I got the processing e-mail over the weekend and just checked my order today and it's out for delivery! As is my Vive x.x seems like today is VR day for me.

I'm from the UK with the order number 26xxxxx

I wonder if it would be possible to have a civil thread containing comparison impressions by those with both headsets.

The shipping stuff is like watching water slowly boil, a bit of self torture.

I can't help it, as it takes longer and longer, but gets closer and closer.

MaxiLive

I wonder if it would be possible to have a civil thread containing comparison impressions by those with both headsets.

I'm not sure if I'll have the Rift today as no body is home to receive the package but as soon I have both and have had a play I'd be more than happy to give my opinion on both the technical side of things and the general experiences both headsets provide at the moment.

Personally I don't think there will be much between the two headsets (bar Vive having the room experience at the moment) but if you are forking out £500+ you'd want to know all the nitty gritty technical details.

Vanmunt

Banned
Booked a week off work next week ages ago thinking my Rift would be here and had a day at a friends planned for a go on the Vive... not looking very good on both.

This massive balls up has tempered my VR buzz a little...

Enordash

I'm not sure if I'll have the Rift today as no body is home to receive the package but as soon I have both and have had a play I'd be more than happy to give my opinion on both the technical side of things and the general experiences both headsets provide at the moment.

Personally I don't think there will be much between the two headsets (bar Vive having the room experience at the moment) but if you are forking out £500+ you'd want to know all the nitty gritty technical details.

I'd even be up for a PM with your personal comparison. Impressions would be super appreciated.

Booked a week off work next week ages ago thinking my Rift would be here and had a day at a friends planned for a go on the Vive... not looking very good on both.

This massive balls up has tempered my VR buzz a little...

What's your order time? Any chance you are getting the Rift by then? I'm REALLY hoping mine comes before this weekend, but I'm losing hope.

Vanmunt

Banned
I'd even be up for a PM with your personal comparison. Impressions would be super appreciated.

What's your order time? Any chance you are getting the Rift by then? I'm REALLY hoping mine comes before this weekend, but I'm losing hope.

I have a 29 order number... F5 like crazy on Jan 6th.

I have a 29 order number... F5 like crazy on Jan 6th.

Order number doesn't mean much.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4cl56j/order_shipments_are_about_order_time_not_order/

In Chrome, go to this URL and login: https://shop.oculus.com/en-us/history/
Click on your order
Open the developer tools (F12) and click on the network tab
Refresh the page
Filter by XHR (next to JS, CSS, etc)
Click on the bottom XHR call that is called "graphql?access_token=..."
In the Preview tab, you should be able to see the server data that Oculus has on your order
Open each dropdown: (orderID number) > payment_account > physical_orders > 0 > preorder_time
This will show a number like this: 1452096369
Convert that number into a readable time and date using this website: http://www.unixtimestamp.com/

lmimmfn

I got the processing email this morning, i replied to the KS survey ~30-40 mins after getting the email so you should be moving to processing in the next day or two hopefully

mrklaw

MrArseFace

don't see why not. If you're into VR enough to have bought both, I think there is a chance you'll be relatively open to constructively criticising the things each one needs to improve.

Just from impressions so far, both seem pretty close - close enough for normal folk to not really care, but enough for enthusiasts to have something to discuss (you know people that are into any subject area will argue about that last 5% in anything)

comfort - rift wins. It is lighter and seems easier to put on and take off once you've set your straps up initially. Also seems to sit better on the face - several comments in the GB stream about the vive slipping slightly when looking down, and that causing the screen to be a bit blurry. Lastly the included headphones are good for comfort and convenience. Yes you might prefer to use your own - and you have that choice. But Vive owners don't get the choice of having built in ones, so thats another thing to put on your head each time and possibly another cable to manage.

optics - I think a tie is a fair assessment so far? slightly lower fov on the rift but slightly lower SDE to compensate. GB said the vive had a slightly larger sweet spot in the lenses so more of the central area was in focus compared to the rift. Both seemingly the same panel, same res, same refresh rate. Vive possibly brighter screen which may be better for contrast - this is something I'd like to hear more about when people have had both in their hands for a while.

controls - vive is currently better. Oculus touch seems great and possibly a more natural/comfortable controller, but we still don't know if Oculus will insist on a forward facing/180 degree setup. I think they'll go with a room scale equivalent - the reception for vive is pretty unanimous on that front, and tests have shown the rift to be capable of decent tracking (if a slightly smaller volume which won't matter to most people)

Right now, I think if you have the money the vive is the better choice. In 6 months, we could be in a situation where all three platforms - Vive, OR and PSVR are all functionally equivalent for normal users (relatively small space tracked, standing/seated, motion controls supported if not standard). At that point I don't think you can pick a bad one - its down to personal preference, whether you have a capable PC, and how much room you have available.

Nyrad

Got my Kickstarter Rift on Monday (Austria).

Installation was very straight forward but i needed a few minutes to get the Xbox One wireless adapter working - i had to download a Windows update for it (it showed up as "Xbox Acc" in devices). After i cleared that hurdle i had to install a Firmware Update for the Oculus Sensor which was practicly a one click installation. Afterwards everything was a very smooth experience. The switching between Oculus Home and the Games/Apps works great and is a very pleasant when compared to the old way of always checking back to the Monitor with DK2.

Hardware:

It's really comfortable and feels light on your head compared to DK1 & DK2. I'd say thats the single biggest change for me. I also like the nose gap - i got very motion sick with dk2 and the nose gap helps with it since i can see the floor if i need to and can also breath better through the nose. It has less of a diving goggles feel now. Since i have an ipd of around 70 i don't need any software to configure the eye seperation anymore - i just need to put the knob to maximum :)

The resolution is a bit better than DK2 (i'd say around 30%) and the godrays are not an issue for me. SDE is also not an issue anymore if your not looking for it.

Apps/Games:

I tried Luckys Tale which is really fun and cute but i can't say too much of it since i only played the first stage.

Afterwards i tried Eve Valkyrie but found it slightly disappointing. Maybe its the simplified flight model or the slightly underwhelming graphics - i really don't know. It just does not do the same for me as Elite which really is a must have app if you'r into the Space/Dogfight genre.

Oculus Dreamdeck is a nice introduction to VR for newcomers but even though it looks very pretty it doesnt have the same effect as Sightline: The Chair had on me. I hope Frooxius is updating Sightline for CV1 :)

Oculus Cinema is very good but doesnt support some important audio codecs. I need to figure out how to watch my regular 1080p videos with it but in the meantime i tried some Vimeo shorts while sitting on the floor in an virtual "Ant Theater". That was really super cool and sitting on the floor enhances the experience very much (I found an old GearVR video here).

Im very much looking forward to the Foo Show since i'm a big Tested & Idle Thumbs fan. I also loved Firewatch so i think the first episode is a match made in heaven for me. Afterwards i plan on buying Windlands and maybe Chronos. There is lots of Content on Oculus Home and also SteamVR to fall back on if Home doesn't get enough new Games.

All in all im very happy with CV1 and can't wait to get back home from work :) i think its a great consumer friendly product now, The only thing thats missing is oculus touch.

Will do, thanks for the info.

Looks like i am a 10 mins past.

Maybe you can move that vacation?

Yeah, I would say last couple of weeks of April or the first week of May.

I am 6 minutes and 4 seconds and I am hoping that it will ship by the end of this week. They have reached a little over the 5 minute mark now but there are a lot of orders to go through.

mario_O

So I bought two more games from the Store and played them with my DK2: Apollo 11 and Adrift. Space time.

Apollo 11 is an interesting experience. I Iiked how they recreated the ship's cockpit so accurately; lift-off and the moon landing with the Eagle are the best parts. But the experience is very short, not sure it's worth $15.

Adrift is fantastic. I've only played for an hour but what I've seen is impressive. The scale is superb, the sense of being inside the spacesuit is great and floating around exploring the wreckage is fun, and I didn't get dizzy. The only problem I've noticed is the framerate in the more open areas; it dips to the 50's 40's, and thats with a 980Ti + i7 2700K 4.5ghzs, and there's no video settings to lower so there's not much you can do about it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I bought two more games from the Store and played them with my DK2: Apollo 11 and Adrift. Space time.

Apollo 11 is an interesting experience. I Iiked how they recreated the ship's cockpit so accurately; lift-off and the moon landing with the Eagle are the best parts. But the experience is very short, not sure it's worth $15.

Adrift is fantastic. I've only played for an hour but what I've seen is impressive. The scale is superb, the sense of being inside the spacesuit is great and floating around exploring the wreckage is fun, and I didn't get dizzy. The only problem I've noticed is the framerate in the more open areas; it dips to the 50's 40's, and thats with a 980Ti + i7 2700K 4.5ghzs, and there's no video settings to lower so there's not much you can do about it.

How much detail does Apollo 11 go into? Apart from the 'ride along' part, I'd love being able to literally play back the entire mission (with FFWD controls), using actual radio messages etc, and showing how the different stages separate and the command module rearranges itself in orbit. Letting me zoom in, rotate the camera. Does it do any of that?

Vanmunt

Banned
Maybe you can move that vacation?

Yeah, I would say last couple of weeks of April or the first week of May.

I am 6 minutes and 4 seconds and I am hoping that it will ship by the end of this week. They have reached a little over the 5 minute mark now but there are a lot of orders to go through.

Thanks you have been really helpful, though I hope its before May as I am getting a new persian kitten beginning of May... can't foresee any issues with with cables and not being able to see it at all!

mario_O

How much detail does Apollo 11 go into? Apart from the 'ride along' part, I'd love being able to literally play back the entire mission (with FFWD controls), using actual radio messages etc, and showing how the different stages separate and the command module rearranges itself in orbit. Letting me zoom in, rotate the camera. Does it do any of that?

There are two modes: 'Interactive' which lets take control during docking and landing (didn't try), and 'Cinematic' a passive experience, and the one i tried. It's about 40 minutes in total, and that's including a long speech from JFK at the beginning.
It's good, and a highly recommend everyone to try it, I'm just not sure $15 is the right price for what you get.

So has anyone played any of these games from start to finish and have a real review. Most of what we get here are first impressions.

Not sure if people have had really enough time.

The main one I could think of would be Chronos which is said to be about 12-15+ hours. Most of the others are either already out (Elite, Project Cars, etc .. ).

Plus, nobody has the damned thing except for a very few people. I know when I got my DK2 I was trying a few minutes of everything. It was a few weeks before I really settled in and started trying to play games back then.

Shipping Rant
Seriously, what the fuck is up with their communication? I get an email a week later to tell me I need to wait another week+? And I have to use Dev tools to find out my fucking order time? Fucking fuck! ... sorry, had to get that out.

So the only bits you get to control are the following.

1: You get to control the bit where the command module seperates, does a 180 and reattaches to the LEM (I think I have the words right). It doesn't give you full control on a pad though. Once you've done the rotation part, then and only then will the speed and alignment controls enable, and you won't be able to rotate any more at that point.

2: You get to land the LEM. This probably works how you want. You get to control thrust, and rotation and it's really tough.

3: You get to moon walk and setup the various experiments and hear about them.

They use real radio messages during all of these segments, I believe.

For non interactive bits, the camera is basically fixed (but you can of course turn your head and lean in and out etc). For interactive bits, you're inside one of the astronauts seeing what they would have seen.

It's cool (thanks again) and I'll probably go through it at least one more time to see if I can land the thing myself (I gave up after five or six tries). I'll be showing other people too.

That Lunar Flight steam game might be more your thing. I don't believe this has been updated for SDK 1.3 yet though.

Lunar Lander still doesn't show up under the VR section on my Steam games so I assume it hasn't been updated.

Elite: Dangerous is still the only game I have that shows up there. No Project Cars yet and it sounds like we might be waiting on Dirt Rally. Is there any way to brute force Dirt Rally on a CV1?

Lunar Lander still doesn't show up under the VR section on my Steam games so I assume it hasn't been updated.

Elite: Dangerous is still the only game I have that shows up there. No Project Cars yet and it sounds like we might be waiting on Dirt Rally. Is there any way to brute force Dirt Rally on a CV1?

I haven't tried, but to my knowledge, no. The CV1 afaik only works with SDK 1.3 games (and I guess SKD 1.0 or newer if any such games were released).

lmimmfn

Not sure if its what youre asking but Steam version of Project Cars was updated to 1.3 last week, i was using it with my DK2 and 1.3, maybe just the tag hasnt been added on steam?

Not sure if its what youre asking but Steam version of Project Cars was updated to 1.3 last week, i was using it with my DK2 and 1.3, maybe just the tag hasnt been added on steam?

Yeah, I thought I had heard about it being updated.

I guess it just doesn't show up under the VR header. Oh well. As long as I can use it.

TheRed

I want to get Project Cars when I get my Rift but I really want to wait for the GOTY edition to get everything, wish it was out already.

Yeah, I thought I had heard about it being updated.

I guess it just doesn't show up under the VR header. Oh well. As long as I can use it.

I think only stuff that works with Steam VR shows up that way. I could be wrong, but I believe that's the case. A minor annoyance I have with Steam VR is that I can't launch a game using Oculus's SDK from within the Steam VR interface. I stress minor though.

Close, the name is "Lunar Flight".

The developer mentioned recently that he'll be focusing first on Vive support, then Rift (via Steam):
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4cchwr/lunar_flight_launch_status/

Thanks. I have updated my post for clarity. I was fairly sure I hadn't got it right.

Edit: To be clear, he's also clarified that the Steam VR version will work with the CV1 (since it's a pad game), so Juneish this should be playable. Oculus Home, SDK 1.3 version coming later.

TheRed

If you get it on the Oculus store, you will be upgraded to goty edition for free on may 6th

That's cool but I'd rather get on Steam so it can be used in non VR, bought Subnautica on Oculus Home and sad I can't try it out on my monitor and if I sell my headset will never be able to play it. I think most of my purchases will be through Steam except for exclusives.

Wallach

I want to get Project Cars when I get my Rift but I really want to wait for the GOTY edition to get everything, wish it was out already.

The version in the Oculus store has all of the DLC built-in, at least what's been released to date.

Edit - Oh, answered above. Yeah, just wait for GotY then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom