• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would need a USB cable extension for your second camera, but it's not like mounting it would really be any different than mounting a lighthouse base station. The sensor comes off the base and mounts onto the same 1/4-20 tripod bases.

I didn't realize it came off the stand! Should be fine, then. Hopefully some mounting brackets come with the Touch controllers.

Wallach

I didn't realize it came off the stand! Should be fine, then. Hopefully some mounting brackets come with the Touch controllers.

I think the bigger question is whether Touch can accurately be tracked by a single sensor. That may be one of the challenges they delayed it for, beyond improving the hand digit tracking. If you need both cameras to have LOS on the controllers to get good tracking then it would actually take like 3-4 sensors to get a similar roomscale setup going, which while possible would not really be supported for end users I think.

Enordash

You would need a USB cable extension for your second camera, but it's not like mounting it would really be any different than mounting a lighthouse base station. The sensor comes off the base and mounts onto the same 1/4-20 tripod bases.

Ah, cool. Doesn't sound like too much of a problem then. So many cables to route and manage o_O

I think the bigger question is whether Touch can accurately be tracked by a single sensor. That may be one of the challenges they delayed it for, beyond improving the hand digit tracking. If you need both cameras to have LOS on the controllers to get good tracking then it would actually take like 3-4 sensors to get a similar roomscale setup going, which while possible would not really be supported for end users I think.

This is one of the reasons that I wish Oculus would make an official announcement.

Wollan

Chronos seems pretty Cool. If I was to point out a resemblance I would say Onimusha which again resembles the original Resident Evil games closely. Especially the fixed camera positions and the local-sounds for each camera position. You walk down a hallway hearing echos of every footstep and the the nearby torches hissing occasionally. As you leave the hallway and go outdoors the new camera position shows moonlight and you can hear crickets all around you and so forth. Atmospheric enough to give you a slight 'nerve' sort to speak. There's almost no music with only the occasional cue when something more important is taking place. The combat seems capable. The art is beautiful. I will have to see if the gameplay fattens a bit as Onimusha/Resident Evil was helped by inventory management and scarce resources. I have already died once in Chronos mere 45 minutes in or so.

Did Valve say anything about that?

They've said they're going to, and that chaperone will work with any headsets they support (I can verify that it works currently with my Oculus, but it only allows for a standing setup right now). That's why I said so long as they go through with it. I have no reason to doubt they will though... unless analogue sticks VS touch pads poses too big an issue for developers.

Riptwo

Yeah, I'd definitely like more details from Oculus regarding Touch. I think that the headset is great so far and I have high hopes for Touch, but in light of the competition, additional info is pretty important to keep people on board.

Wallach

This is one of the reasons that I wish Oculus would make an official announcement.

I think they'll have to. I'm pretty sure they're going to open preorders on the Touch probably ~2-3 months before it ships (hopefully to better effect than the HMDs), and the pressure coming from HTC will probably make them more eager to. They also should probably do so to differentiate their controller from the Vive's with the hand recognition, because I feel like that is a really important function in VR that the Vive's wands don't effectively reach.

Bsigg12

Yeah, I'd definitely like more details from Oculus regarding Touch. I think that the headset is great so far and I have high hopes for Touch, but in light of the competition, additional info is pretty important to keep people on board.

Their E3 presence and conference is likely to be entirely Touch focused, so 2 months away from news.

mario_O

Man, the Oculus' Store is super slow. Taking a million years to download some games. I'm getting like 200ks/s on a 300Mb connection. Maybe because I'm in Europe?

LaneDS

I think they'll have to. I'm pretty sure they're going to open preorders on the Touch probably ~2-3 months before it ships (hopefully to better effect than the HMDs), and the pressure coming from HTC will probably make them more eager to. They also should probably do so to differentiate their controller from the Vive's with the hand recognition, because I feel like that is a really important function in VR that the Vive's wands don't effectively reach.

I'm not up on the hand recognition bit- what's that all about?

I totally agree that they have to really fight to win back mindshare the Vive is snagging day in and day out and think a proper re-unveil of the Touch is a potentially good way to do so.

Tain

I'm not up on the hand recognition bit- what's that all about?

Touch can detect when your fingers are rested on buttons/sticks and not pressing them. This allows for some basic hand gestures: you can do a thumbs-up by taking your thumb off the analog stick, you can point by removing your finger from the trigger. Should be able to throw the bird, too?

Man, the Oculus' Store is super slow. Taking a million years to download some games. I'm getting like 200ks/s on a 300Mb connection. Maybe because I'm in Europe?

That's nothing like the kind of speeds I've been seeing. It could be Europe, but I also heard the Giant Bomb guys saying it was slow, yet I was able to download a whole bunch of stuff the other day relatively quickly at launch and on Sunday.

Edit: East coast here.

Enordash

I'm east coast US getting about 7MB/s. Could be your region. Maybe some others can chime in.

LaneDS

Touch can detect when your fingers are rested on buttons/sticks and not pressing them. This allows for some basic hand gestures: you can do a thumbs-up by taking your thumb off the analog stick, you can point by removing your finger from the trigger. Should be able to throw the bird, too?

Oh rad, had no idea. Thanks for the explanation!

Enordash

If you can't throw the bird, what's the point... :)

I actually wonder how much it might hurt Oculus that they didnt launch with Touch at release. I mean even at their GDC event or what that was, they showed of some cool Touch titles that people would love to play I guess.

I have to say while a lot of the Vive launch titles look more like a "Wii Sports", something that doesnt have much content, but might offer hours of mindless fun, the Oculus lineup lacks that.
Especially that VR Tennis game for Oculus feels like it could use motion controllers.

cube001

Anyone having trouble adding a payment method to the store, tried 5 credit cards (3Visas, 1MC and 1 AMEX) with no luck, support isn't responsive. They are making it very difficult to support the rift while another alternative is out there....

fred

I can't remember what website it was, might have been UploadVR, but they tried two cameras in opposing corners and experienced no more problems with obscured controllers than you'd have with the Vive. I've also heard no reports of tracking problems with a single camera and Touch controller tracking. There's absolutely no need to use 3 cameras, although of course it goes without saying that the more cameras/lighthouses you have the less chance there is of obscuring the controllers with your body.

Personally, whilst Room Scale VR is going to have its place I don't think it's going to be as big a thing as some people are expecting. It's going to be fine with VR games, apps and experiences taking place in one 'room' but without adequate ways of exploration and locomotion into different areas Room Scale VR is going to be unsuitable for most mainstream gaming genres such as FPS games, third person games, adventure games, RPGs etc.

Yes, designers can use teleportation mechanics, but contextually that's only going to make sense with sci-fi games such as Budget Cuts. Any other game setting, apart from a magical/fantasy one with wizards or mages, and it just won't make any sense and be presence-breaking.

And if designers have to stick with one 'room' experiences there are only so many ideas that they can come up with that don't create the same game in a different skin. We've already started to see it at this early stage - Hover Junkers, Space Pirate Trainer, Arizona Sunshine and Dead And Buried are all virtually identical games. 360 degree shooters with different skins. And it won't be long before we see plenty of Budget Cuts clones too.

Kinect had a very similar problem too. The godawful lag made the vast majority of mainstream gaming genres unsuitable for Kinect which severely limited suitable game ideas. And we ended up seeing the same games with different skins.

The best quality VR experiences will be seated or standing, at least for this VR generation.

Enordash

I confirmed with oculus and I have two orders

I have a 35 and a 28 order

When was 28 expected to ship?

It more depends on what time the order was received rather than the order number. There are some links in this thread about it.

Anyone having trouble adding a payment method to the store, tried 5 credit cards (3Visas, 1MC and 1 AMEX) with no luck, support isn't responsive. They are making it very difficult to support the rift while another alternative is out there....

I haven't heard of any problems like this before. Don't give up!

Wollan

Henry just blew my mind. Definitely one future for movies being witnessed here.
Visuals are absolutely outstanding. It has a small scope which works to its advantage but within that scope it's on par with what one could expect from a CG cartoon film. Probably the best pure realtime graphics showcase I've seen. It also has really advanced 3D binaural audio.

Durante

I just played Radial-G (the Steam version was updated with SDK 1.3 support).

I don't know if it was the new build of the game or CV1 -- likely both -- but I did significantly better than with DK2. It also seemed smoother.

Hover Junkers, Space Pirate Trainer, Arizona Sunshine and Dead And Buried are all virtually identical games. 360 degree shooters with different skins.
That's almost at the same level as saying "all FPS are the same".

The best quality VR experiences will be seated or standing, at least for this VR generation.
I absolutely, fundamentally, almost viscerally disagree.

Hey, is it possible to buy/play Lucky's Tale without an Oculus Rift? Not planning to get into VR in the near future but I really like 3D platformers.

Nzyme32

Massively disagree, from my own experience there is just no contest. Roomscale is just absurdly more engaging, natural, intoxicating, exciting and hilarious all at once. I get giddy just to play around within it. The ability to be so engrossed that you completely forget reality and lose your sense of place, is something I have only found in roomscale.

Not to mention games and other content I've messed with are simply far more interesting than the current seated experiences, which are just the same gaming genres and styles we already know and love, with VR twisted into it to provide only a marginal increase in immersion rather than gameplay. More so, full 360 degree VR is just far beyond forward facing gaming and experiences.

I think Oculus touch will eventually head in that direction, as it becomes more apparent that it is the more interesting and engaging experience, and that with the right content that some might use as a novelty initially, it is convincing enough for many to want to reshuffle a room or make space. Not to mention future tracking solutions that will likely make this even more feasible outside of a single "room" or even being indoors.

takoyaki

Just got a shipping confirmation :)

I was a backer for the DK1 on Kickstarter but not one of the earliest backers (my number was in the 8000 range). They are shipping European Rifts from the Netherlands with UPS.

Hey, is it possible to buy/play Lucky's Tale without an Oculus Rift? Not planning to get into VR in the near future but I really like 3D platformers.

Yes. I saw instructions on Reddit on how to do this. You have to make an oculus account and download the oculus home software, then Lucky's Tale... and then you have to do some other stuff... that was in the reddit instructions.

Yes, I saw some instructions on Reddit how to do this.

But honestly, without VR you're going to be missing a lot of the experience. It's what really surprised me when I first tried the game after watching trailers for it. In 2D it just seems like your typical fairly generic 3D platformer. In VR you get a much different emotional responses. Granted, mechanically it certainly is a standard 3D platformer, but I'd be curious what you would think after giving it a shot.

vermadas

Woo, just got my processing email! Have a pending charge on my CC. No tracking yet. My order time is at +00:05:10 and I'm in Michigan.

spannicus

I just stopped caring about when its gonna arrive, makes it easier. Never been so anxious to spend money. Its the hype. Finally calming down.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So floodgates finally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom