• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.
As tempting as this is, even with Luckey gone this is still the same company that tried to pull that hardware DRM bullshit last year. At this point I think I might just wait for Vive rev 2.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
This deal last for 6 weeks, I would suggest be a bit patient just in case there some kind of upgrade or Vive discount matching.

Unless Oculus is doing this because they are losing in player base.
I mean... they're not doing this because they're winning in player base.

Not really no. The problem is occlusion. As you turn around you body inevitably blocks the view from the cameras for reliable roomscale on oculus you need 2 cameras up front and one at the back.
In theory it’s an issue, in practise it’s possible to use most roomscale software with a two camera setup without coming across any major occlusion issues if you can position the cameras reasonably.
Still better to spring for the extra camera though.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Will I be able to watch the International in VR with the Oculus Rift? Do all HTC Vive games on steam also work with the Rift?

Another tip: the headset itself doesn't need usb 3.0. Unless I'm mistaken I think one of your sensors can also be on a 2.0. also look into getting cable extensions for everything if you plan on full roomscale, and make sure you lookup ones that work. Pain in the butt, I know, but its cheap and worth it.

vermadas

By far. Better tracking, it can play Rift exclusives using Revive. And while Oculus controller is better right now, the SteamVR Knuckles might see a release this year or the next and those look like they will be superior to Oculus Touch.

"By far" is hyperbolic to say the least. Make no mistake, Lighthouse tech is superior to the Constellation sensor tech that Oculus uses. If you have the space for roomscale then Vive is a lower barrier to entry, and only having to worry about powering the lighthouses vs. the Oculus sensors being tethered with USB is a big advantage. But with three sensors you can get 90% of the coverage you'd get with Vive and it's still vastly cheaper. The tracking itself while you're in view of the sensors is just as good as the Vive. For people with small spaces and good sensor arrangement, they would notice no difference.

Theonik

In theory it’s an issue, in practise it’s possible to use most roomscale software with a two camera setup without coming across any major occlusion issues if you can position the cameras reasonably.
Still better to spring for the extra camera though.
As long as you keep facing the camera it's not really a problem but the whole appeal of room scale is being able to move freely in the playspace and to do that reliably a third camera is needed. It's only $60 anyway or so.

mazillion

Well I bit the bullet. Hesitated with my mouse over the checkout button for a while but I eventually did it. I didn't expect i'd be getting into VR this soon.

I'm both excited and nervous(that I won't like it).

Kaako

Felium Defensor
They need to make this their official MSRP if they want more people to start even considering them.
Don't see myself buying the Rift personally cause Vive + PSVR is my go-to combination.

As long as you keep facing the camera it's not really a problem but the whole appeal of room scale is being able to move freely in the playspace and to do that reliably a third camera is needed. It's only $60 anyway or so.

I mean with the cameras set up in opposite corners facing each other. I tried that before getting my third camera and found it to work well enough. But yeah, for the little extra is costs it’s well worth getting the third camera.

vermadas

By the way, even though Oculus does not recommend USB hubs, I have one of these and it works perfectly. I'd definitely recommend it over the PCIe Inateck card.

Haines

Banned
The more i think about this they must really have some amazing hardware cooking and they want to get these sold before word gets out and these sit on shelves.

That's such a great deal, don't sleep on VR folks, it's the real deal. I just bought a HTC Vive and it's been incredible. Don't let the slight feature set differences dissuade you from buying a Rift, at $400 it's a steal and you'll get a great experience with it.

ElfArmy177

That's such a great deal, don't sleep on VR folks, it's the real deal. I just bought a HTC Vive and it's been incredible. Don't let the slight feature set differences dissuade you from buying a Rift, at $400 it's a steal and you'll get a great experience with it.

Purchased and then canceled... Vr games are hella pricy. I'll wait for version 2 with a better screen and room scale.

Should I bother if my video card is a 980ti? I know the newer cards are supposed to be for VR so while I'm tempted, I'd think about it if I would have to upgrade my PC too.

ElfArmy177

The more i think about this they must really have some amazing hardware cooking and they want to get these sold before word gets out and these sit on shelves.

Exactly my thoughts. 400$ for tech that's gonna be blown away within 12 months. No thanks... :/ Tempting though

rtcn63

Should I bother if my video card is a 980ti? I know the newer cards are supposed to be for VR so while I'm tempted, I'd think about it if I would have to upgrade my PC too.

The 980ti is between a 1070 and 1080 when OC'd. With an i5, you should be pretty alright from what I've read.

Tagyhag

I'm personally still morally against ever buying an Oculus but that's a damn good price.

I wonder what's going on? Either desperation or getting ready for Version 2.

Steel

Banned

That, or they have the lowest install base and need to build it up to justify the exclusive storefront.

DirtyLarry

As someone who sold their Oculus as it was awesome but just seemed too expensive and I also was holding off for the next iteration as the display was not perfect, I am considering this as I do not have the Touch the first time around.
But as posted just above, I have to imagine there is a new iteration coming soon.
Damn this is tempting though.

Exactly my thoughts. 400$ for tech that's gonna be blown away within 12 months. No thanks... :/ Tempting though

Did you see how much good free stuff there is? Also Steam and Oculus store both have sales. Also the chance of a new Rift or Vive releasing in the next 12 months is very low.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
That, or they have the lowest install base and need to build it up to justify the exclusive storefront.

The bases are small for all VR platforms. Even when you have crossplatform play it's still hard sometimes to find people in multiplayer games. This can only help VR as a whole.

Klotera

Seriously tempted. Almost bought one at launch, but price vs game availability was hard to swallow. This may be the right price.

Only hesitation is that I've heard it can be uncomfortable with glasses. I know my Daydream headset is uncomfortable with glasses. I like with Gear VR that I could adjust the focus so I didn't need to wear glasses.

Any thoughts by folks who use Oculus Rift with glasses?

Edit: I see there are a couple comments on previous page I missed, but still wouldn't mind some more personal experiences if anyone has them.

vermadas

As of March, Oculus says they won't have a follow up until 2019 at the earliest. Not sure how true that will be, but Oculus has been saying they see price as the biggest barrier of entry for adoption, and would rather drive that down than quickly iterate at high prices. Meanwhile better tech is going to come out (wireless, Knuckles, other SteamVR headsets, etc.), but it will continue to be focused on the enthusiast market with higher pricetags.

rtcn63

Seriously tempted. Almost bought one at launch, but price vs game availability was hard to swallow. This may be the right price.

Only hesitation is that I've heard it can be uncomfortable with glasses. I know my Daydream headset is uncomfortable with glasses. I like with Gear VR that I could adjust the focus so I didn't need to wear glasses.

Any thoughts by folks who use Oculus Rift with glasses?

Apparently its not just comfort, but that glasses make contact with the Rift lenses, scratching them.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
Did you see how much good free stuff there is? Also Steam and Oculus store both have sales. Also the chance of a new Rift or Vive releasing in the next 12 months is very low.

Not to mention the 2nd gen vr will have nice new features but there is no way it'll cost $400.

Steel

Banned
The bases are small for all VR platforms. Even when you have crossplatform play it's still hard sometimes to find people in multiplayer games. This can only help VR as a whole.

I don't disagree, I own an oculus rift. But keep in mind that Oculus' base is 1/4 of the Vive's which is smaller than PSVR's.

You're perfectly fine with a 980ti.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
As of March, Oculus says they won't have a follow up until 2019 at the earliest. Not sure how true that will be, but Oculus has been saying they see price as the biggest barrier of entry for adoption, and would rather drive that down than quickly iterate at high prices. Meanwhile better tech is going to come out (wireless, Knuckles, other SteamVR headsets, etc.), but it will continue to be focused on the enthusiast market with higher pricetags.
Yeah, these big price reductions are more likely because Oculus is struggling to move units, not because they have new hardware soon to drop.

Bookoo

Vive might have sold more units, but according to BrandonJLa (HoverJunkers Dev - Vive) many of the sales are for Asian VR arcades so the actually player bases are closer than those estimates say.

However bringing more users into VR is good for everyone. You don't have to even touch the Oculus store if you don't want since it works with SteamVR, but I think you would be missing out on great games.

Having an Oculus myself and following Oculus I dont really believe much what comes out of their PR mouth anymore sadly.

"We would never block a competitors headset."
"Most VR experiences will be gamepad based."
"Oculus will be as cheap as we said it months before."
"Oculus will be as comfortable with glasses as without."

Some made after, some made shortly before Oculus launched.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
Apparently its not just comfort, but that glasses make contact with the Rift lenses, scratching them.

It really depends on how big your glasses are. I believe 144mm wide is the max they will accomodate at a tight fit. I have glasses that are much shorter and they fit without any problems when I'm not using contacts.

this post is saving me from buying one currently....

Can anyone counter this to put me back on the fence? lol

I would say enjoy today and let tomorrow take care of itself. You don't know when a revision is coming, what it will cost, what specs will be needed and whether you may need to further upgrade your PC to take proper advantage of it.

Has the headset changed at all? I got the Rift the second month it was out and was disappointed by the blurriness. I wasn't sure if it was just my headset so I returned it.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
I don't disagree, I own an oculus rift. But keep in mind that Oculus' base is 1/4 of the Vive's which is smaller than PSVR's.

I'd argue that point and would like to see a source. I've only seen 2 devs (bigscreen being one of them) comment on userbases and both have pointed out that there titles has a bigger rift userbase over vive despite having their title released on vive first.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I also wonder when they'll release their 2nd iteration of the Rift as well. I wanna see them 2nd gen specs.

It really depends on how big your glasses are. I believe 144mm wide is the max they will accomodate at a tight fit. I have glasses that are much shorter and they fit without any problems when I'm not using contacts.

I played with my glasses inside the Rift for 6 months, it's not great but it is doable. This month I just bought some VR Lens from WIDMOvr, they're great.

Bookoo

I'd argue that point and would like to see a source. I've only seen 2 devs (bigscreen being one of them) comment on userbases and both have pointed out that there titles has a bigger rift userbase over vive despite having their title released on vive first.

Here is a quote from the Hover Junkers dev (a vive game) that sort of supports that claim as well.

Vive is moving more units than the Rift however a bunch of the sales are Asian arcade units. So from the developer standpoint on Steam/Oculus Home the effective number of users are closer than the raw sales indicate.
You're 100% right that Rift vs Vive doesn't matter. VR w/tracked controllers simply needs more total sales to justify higher content production budgets.

Soi-Fong

By far. Better tracking, it can play Rift exclusives using Revive. And while Oculus controller is better right now, the SteamVR Knuckles might see a release this year or the next and those look like they will be superior to Oculus Touch.

Great.. So I have to spend an extra $100 or however much Knuckles is gonna go for along with the $800 the Vive already costs. With the Rift, I just need an extra sensor that allows for room-tracking that matches the Vive.

I'm sorry, but the Vive is better in some ways, but not $500 better.

Bookoo

I also wonder when they'll release their 2nd iteration of the Rift as well. I wanna see them 2nd gen specs.

4k & wireless... please and thank you. Sadly it looks like late 2018 or early 2019 before that comes out.

I am really interested to see what they show off at Connect in October this year.

Great.. So I have to spend an extra $100 or however much Knuckles is gonna go for along with the $800 the Vive already costs. With the Rift, I just need an extra sensor that allows for room-tracking that matches the Vive.

I'm sorry, but the Vive is better in some ways, but not $500 better.

Also the $100 deluxe audio strap which reportedly improves the comfort of the Vive. I am a fan of the modular nature though, but I just wonder if they would ever sell just the headset portion itself at a discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom