• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift ships with Xbox One controller, mic and "Oculus Remote" (details)

But the price screams sticker shock. Why not do what every other product in the history of products that need other products to function does and make you purchase that seperately to keep that sticker shock price down? Not to mention just about everyone who has the PC to actually run this probably already has a controller lying around be it a XB1, DS4 or Steam controller. So bundling in extra things that people might already own for an inflated price is kind of dumb.

So if the sticker price was $570 without the extras that'd be better? Because that's what we're talking about here.

The Wii was launched ONLY with Wii Sports bundled. That's because it would have cost almost the same without it. They couldn't sell the console by itself for $199 so they added something into the package to make the price of the console more appealing.

That's exactly what is happening here. The headset makes up the vast chunk of that price. These little extras do very little to contribute to the sticker price but they help reduce the sticker shock.

Where is the webcam supposed to sit? Assuming you'd want it directly in front of you (until you get a second one), does that mean moving it in front of your monitor each time you want to use it?

Apparently it's quite wide angle. also it can track the headset whichever way the headset is looking so it doesn't need to be directly in front of you. Most press shots I've seen show it next to the monitor on the desk. They want it to 'blend into the background' so I don't think you'll ever need to move it.

Jca2WaC.png

Somebody is leaving this thread with a new avatar.

Teletraan1

Banned
So if the sticker price was $570 without the extras that'd be better? Because that's what we're talking about here.

The Wii was launched ONLY with Wii Sports bundled. That's because it would have cost almost the same without it. They couldn't sell the console by itself for $199 so they added something into the package to make the price of the console more appealing.

That's exactly what is happening here. The headset makes up the vast chunk of that price. These little extras do very little to contribute to the sticker price but they help reduce the sticker shock.

Sure, $549 with none of that extra trash in a cardboard box is still $50 USD ($70 CDN) in my pocket. I can go and buy half the VR launch library with that money :p

tuxfool

Banned
It's probably a catch-22, good sales will entice more developers and that will feed back into the rift, etc.

As somebody that follows their twitter feed, hardly a day goes by that I don't see some new VR thing in development, where thing is game/film/experience.

Falchion

There's certainly a lot that comes with the headset, it's just not enough to offset the price for me. Plus I already have a controller so that's just inflating it for me.

nynt9

There's certainly a lot that comes with the headset, it's just not enough to offset the price for me. Plus I already have a controller so that's just inflating it for me.

I do wish that they had a SKU without the controller with lower price, but they clearly made a deal with MS to subsidize some cost, and making multiple SKUs would drive up their price, and they also probably wanted to have a standardized out of the box experience for the average consumer so developers can target that.

So it's $600 by itself so what kind of PC can you get with the other $900?

Probably the minimum specs? Though I'm sure bundling the two together helps them cut some of the costs so it would be a PC in the 1200 range maybe?

Is your PC Oculus Ready? For the full Rift experience, we recommend the following PC system:
graphics card: NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD R9 290 equivalent or greater
processor: Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
memory: 8GB+ RAM
output: Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
input: 3x USB 3.0 ports plus 1x USB 2.0 port
operating system: Windows 7 SP1 64 bit or newer

The "oculus ready" alienware is 1200:
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51-r3/pd?oc=dpcwxy01hoculusg&model_id=alienware-x51-r3​

Bought.
Does anyone know where I can find my estimated delivery date? Or is it just sometime in March across the board? Just got my order in like 20 min ago.

nynt9

Bought.
Does anyone know where I can find my estimated delivery date? Or is it just sometime in March across the board? Just got my order in like 20 min ago.

I read on twitter that the first batch sold out within 15m of preordering being open so mid/late march might be for the second wave.

I do wish that they had a SKU without the controller with lower price, but they clearly made a deal with MS to subsidize some cost, and making multiple SKUs would drive up their price, and they also probably wanted to have a standardized out of the box experience for the average consumer so developers can target that.

Probably the minimum specs? Though I'm sure bundling the two together helps them cut some of the costs so it would be a PC in the 1200 range maybe?

The "oculus ready" alienware is 1200:
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51-r3/pd?oc=dpcwxy01hoculusg&model_id=alienware-x51-r3​

For some added context, after I finished my preorder, it mentioned that they're going to sell some headset bundles with "oculus ready" PCs for $1499. I wonder if this will be the model included.

nynt9

For some added context, after I finished my preorder, it mentioned that they're going to sell some headset bundles with "oculus ready" PCs for $1499. I wonder if this will be the model included.

It's a pretty good deal to get a $1200 tier PC with a $600 Rift at $1500 honestly. And the standardization will help people who for some reason get option paralysis when trying to get into PC gaming.

Sure, $549 with none of that extra trash in a cardboard box is still $50 USD ($70 CDN) in my pocket. I can go and buy half the VR launch library with that money :p

I don't think the manufacturing costs of the remote, mic, bundled game and xbox one controller are $50, but even if they are, you certainly can't buy half the VR launch library for $50. You can't even get Dirt Rally for $50.

PSGames

Bundles that include an Oculus Ready PC and a Rift will be available for pre-order in February starting at $1499.

I hope I don't get shafted buying this separately and building my own rig vs whatever they provide in the bundle..

Top Bottom