• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus special press event thread | Step into the Rift | June 11th 10am PDT

Soi-Fong

I'm pretty sure all DK2 owners can agree that the DK2 was a good investment. It will have lasted well over a year to satisfy that VR thirst until the Consumer versions of the headsets come out.

Skyzard

Banned
Yea, stuff like Leap Motion or other hand/skeletal tracking solutions can manage it. None are quite ready for prime-time, though.

Nice, thanks, leap motion looks awesome as an extra thing for your pc to play with. Not sure I'd want to sacrifice other inputs for just it though.

Other hand and skeletal tracking solutions use like a camera like kinect would and try and process the image to figure out gestures?

Because being able to point, wave, swear, slap etc just naturally would be really good. Even if it's not a necessary mechanic, just to see it visually when you do it, or others doing it, might be ... freeing in a way.

I hope the other guys do it well too, or try to.

Akhe

Yeah!

One of my all-time favorite movies.

chUczSJ.gif

You have a good taste, sir.

Sky Chief

Yes, it's amazing how fast Oculus went from perceived VR leader to last place, behind both Sony and Valve. As others have mentioned in this thread, Oculus no longer seems to have the energy & focus of a startup. Today's presentation sounded like a Facebook corporate presentation to the financial analyst community. Far too boring to generate any momentum or hype.

Now, there is plenty of time for Oculus to right the ship before the product ships, but as of Jun 2015, Oculus is loosing the leadership position and momentum that they once had. I hope they get their act together in the next several months.

The thing I liked about Palmer Luckey and Oculus before is that they seemed more like VR evangelists that just thought the technology was really important than a business that was just in the game to dominate and make as much money as possible. That perception had slowly been cracking until today it completely shattered. They sold out.

I'm less concerned about them being in "last place" when it comes to their input solutions and launch date than I am about then abandoning their ideals and what they used to stand for and for that reason it is going to be very hard for me to trust or support them ever again.

Stantron

Q1 versions of the Rift headset should include a voucher for a substantial discount on the Touch controllers.
When the Touch is finally released (presumably sometime in Q2), it should also become standard packing with the Rift headset instead of the XBONE controller.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
If Rift is supported by both PC and Xbox, Morpheus will have a hard time catching up.

Rift isn't going to plug into Xbox for VR games. Morpheus works with PS4 because it was always planned to by Cerny with special stuff built in. You expect the Xbox One to be alright with 1440p resolutions at 90fps?

Seiru

Banned
There's a lot of vitriol and corporate cheerleading going on in this topic, and very little interest in whether or not the Rift is actually the best VR headset.

I'll be looking forward to E3 impressions.

Sky Chief

There's a lot of vitriol and corporate cheerleading going on in this topic, and very little interest in whether or not the Rift is actually the best VR headset.

Would have been nice if Oculus actually explained that their headset was the best by discussing tech specs and capabilities rather than wasting everyone's time with "is really light and wrapped in fabric".

Also it's about far more than just the headset, the input solution is just as important and they had no demo for the Touch and announced it wouldn't be available at launch. Just a terrible showing all around today.

Seiru

Banned
Would have been nice if Oculus actually explained that their headset was the best by discussing tech specs and capabilities rather than wasting everyone's time with "is really light and wrapped in fabric".

Also it's about far more than just the headset, the input solution is just as important and they had no demo for the Touch and announced it wouldn't be available at launch. Just a terrible showing all around today.

Oculus Touch will be at E3..they've already announced what the specs are for CV1. I'm looking for actual, real world impressions of the headset and input. You know, the things I'll potentially be buying. I won't be buying a press conference next year.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Oculus Touch will be at E3..they've already announced what the specs are for CV1. I'm looking for actual, real world impressions of the headset and input. You know, the things I'll potentially be buying. I won't be buying a press conference next year.

They chose to stream a global event with a countdown that amounted to showing the headset, discussing none of its actual specs, and then the same for their new input device.

"Come back in a week where other people can tell you how awesome it is" is absolutely insane when they had a giant screen and the worlds attention to show demonstrations of them in action, not live, just filmed. With cameras, and capture devices. Even the vrOS stuff was stationary screens on a powerpoint slide. Imagine having billions and not even being able to cobble together a presentation beyond a fresh out of college start-up. It was embarrassing.

Right now, objectively, the HTC Vive looks like the best VR because you can see people demoing it and interacting with every element of it. Oculus has played the secrecy/closed doors card for too long and now its beginning to bite them bigtime.

Coworker who has BOTH Rift headsets says he is probably defecting to the HTC/Valve VR headset. I don't know what the fuck is going on with the RIFT right now but they need to get their shit together.

Pretty much this.

Does it have the best tech? Does it have the games I want to play? What is the price and quality compared to the competition?

All the talk about corporate bs ruining the hungry start up feel holds no weight for me at all.

Sky Chief

Pretty much this.

Does it have the best tech? Does it have the games I want to play? What is the price and quality compared to the competition?

All the talk about corporate bs ruining the hungry start up feel holds no weight for me at all.

We don't know the answer to any of your questions precisely because Oculus has become infected with corporate BS. This is why we are being forced to discuss the corporate BS because the ball was in Oculus's court and they didn't show us shit other than corporate partnerships and exclusivity agreements.

magnumpy

what is the resolution of the screens? I get the feeling they don't want to reveal that particular specification, but if there was a time to reveal it that seems to be now... maybe at E3...

Hale-XF11

I'm pretty sure all DK2 owners can agree that the DK2 was a good investment. It will have lasted well over a year to satisfy that VR thirst until the Consumer versions of the headsets come out.

No regrets. I've been thoroughly blown away by some of the experiences I've had with my own DK2. VR has proven itself to me. Now I'm looking forward to playing fully optimized/complete games instead of just demos.

magnumpy

They announced it weeks ago. 2160x1200, 1080x1200 per eye.

so it has two individual 1080x1200 (1.29 megapixels x 2) screens? if so that is somewhat disappointing, the DK2 was 1920x1080 for both eyes (2.07 megapixels x 1). this seems to be barely better. do I have that right?

so it has two individual 1080x1200 (1.29 megapixels x 2) screens? if so that is somewhat disappointing, the DK2 was 1920x1080 for both eyes (2.07 megapixels x 1). this seems to be barely better. do I have that right?

Yes. But resolution is one of many factors that come into play when comparing it to DK2. Pixel density, for one, is important for getting rid of the screen door effect (and not being pentile). And everything Palmer mentions in these tweets.

magnumpy

disappointing. OTOH this puts the rift an more of a level playing field with both the Valve Vive and the Sony Morpheus. it's looking like the content (games, exclusives, etc) will be the important differentiating factor.

Chris_C

The conference was a pretty major disappointment for me. Generally, it felt listless, lacking energy, and it seemed like Oculus had no idea how to present VR on stage, so they didn't even try.

I find it hard to believe that the first glimpse of a Rift game on final hardware is a 2 month old trailer for EVE Valkyrie. Subsequent trailers also looked pretty much like they could be for traditional third-person games, which makes me suspect that despite talk of exclusivity, those games may end up elsewhere. Also, after months of talk about how important framerate was, some of the videos showed trailers running at sub-20fps. I understand the software is early, but surely you can brute-force performance for the sake of the trailers?

What are the CV's specs? How do the games actually play? What's the deal with the special input devices shown at the end? It's true they have the rest of E3 to explain that, but they had 90 minutes of the world's attention and it feels like we didn't learn anything we couldn't have from a press release and a few YouTube trailers.

Initially, I had my doubts about Valve seemingly deciding not to support Oculus, but it really does look like they have the technologically superior solution. On PC, I'll probably be getting a Vive, and if I had to choose between Morpheus and the Rift, I'd get Morpheus, they've done a better job of actually showing they've got a plan for the device, and at least it'll have their software backing.

The conference was a pretty major disappointment for me. Generally, it felt listless, lacking energy, and it seemed like Oculus had no idea how to present VR on stage, so they didn't even try.

I find it hard to believe that the first glimpse of a Rift game on final hardware is a 2 month old trailer for EVE Valkyrie. Subsequent trailers also looked pretty much like they could be for traditional third-person games, which makes me suspect that despite talk of exclusivity, those games may end up elsewhere. Also, after months of talk about how important framerate was, some of the videos showed trailers running at sub-20fps. I understand the software is early, but surely you can brute-force performance for the sake of the trailers?

What are the CV's specs? How do the games actually play? What's the deal with the special input devices shown at the end? It's true they have the rest of E3 to explain that, but they had 90 minutes of the world's attention and it feels like we didn't learn anything we couldn't have from a press release and a few YouTube trailers.

Initially, I had my doubts about Valve seemingly deciding not to support Oculus, but it really does look like they have the technologically superior solution. On PC, I'll probably be getting a Vive, and if I had to choose between Morpheus and the Rift, I'd get Morpheus, they've done a better job of actually showing they've got a plan for the device, and at least it'll have their software backing.

Yeah something was lacking in this conference. I think it may have to do with Brendan Iribe. He's a cool guy, but man he's just not great at public speaking. He's monotone reading off the teleprompter. I wish it was just Palmer the whole time lol.

And you're right, feels like we barely learned anything about the CV1.

Interesting.

As shown the Constellation system uses a “single camera solution” on a basestation but the headset has “full 360 tracking, all off of a single camera

“We do support multiple sensors,” says Iribe, “It doesn’t require you to mount things on your walls – but you can if you want to. We’ve made it so the sensor has a standard screw hole that you can screw in if you want to mount them in different places.”

Sounds a bit less of a hassle than lighthouse then. Can't wait for demo comparisons next week.

Sounds a bit less of a hassle than lighthouse then. Can't wait for demo comparisons next week.

Yeah, if this is comparable to Lighthouse, tracking-wise, that would be an impressive feat. Kind of blows it all wide open again, if true.

Well shit, seems like they should have discussed some of this kind of stuff during their hour long conference. What was the point of that conference?

I really don't know. I don't see the benefit in trickling out information like this unless it's part of a big reveal for a different presentation. I'd imagine they make an appearance at the Xbox conference, but this sort of info doesn't seem relevant. Maybe it will be at the PC conference?

Bsigg12

Yeah, if this is comparable to Lighthouse, tracking-wise, that would be an impressive feat. Kind of blows it all wide open again, if true.

I really don't know. I don't see the benefit in trickling out information like this unless it's part of a different presentation.

There's Microsoft's conference and the PC Gamer conference. Those are the only other places I could see Oculus showing up and in a video posted by Xbox, they mention they'll be talking Oculus stuff so who knows.

Animator

Oculus is a shit company at promoting their product. They had a "booth" (2 chairs and two tv's) at Siggrapph which is the biggest cg content creation conference in the world and all they had to show for it was two fucking headsets running a scripted piece of shit pacific rim movie demo. And they had a representative on floor who couldnt answer a single fucking question I asked.

Give me the vive and morpheous.

Oculus is a shit company at promoting their product. They had a "booth" (2 chairs and two tv's) at Siggrapph which is the biggest cg content creation conference in the world and all they had to show for it was two fucking headsets running a scripted piece of shit pacific rim movie demo. And they had a representative on floor who couldnt answer a single fucking question I asked.

I don't know if Siggraph is the best measuring stick for their past conference showings. From what I've seen their booths are usually well designed/laid out out with ample people manning them, but yeah for all I know the booth "demoers" might not be the most knowledgeable.

magnumpy

Software reasons are keeping you on 7?

It just seems like a non-issue since 10 is free for everyone

I suppose lazyness is keeping me on 7. I could go ahead and upgrade to 10, but saw no reason to. I guess if I want an oculus rift CV1 I'll have to. or I could just go for a vive, AFAIK that will work on my setup as is. or I could go for a morpheus...decisions decisions

Man

My final verdict after having slept on it:

Pros:
+ The Rift is as good as one could suspect based on recent prototypes, relatively small/light.
+ Oculus Touch controllers look good, basically remotes ala Vive/PS.Move with a cool design.

Cons:
- They got caught with their pants down by Valve in March and has in their non-readiness regarding input decided to bundle the console with a bog-standard gamepad (from another firm) with no 3D tracking.
- Fragmenting their input offerings as the 'real' controllers are not launching before months after initial release as add-on peripherals.
- Xbox One streaming to PC into VR environment with a virtual TV/living-room was embarrassing for Oculus, also their first software announcement of the show.
- The game lineup was disappointing. The best game is still EVE Valkyrie which showed a 2 month old trailer.
- Oculus trying to nab exclusives from Vive splitting the PC VR market in it's infancy is a horrible move.
- The whole conference/presentation was dry, quiet, and not particularly engaging.
- No official specs on consumer version of Rift.

As of now the Vive has superior technology, has everything Valve to back it up, no control-fragmentation as they will bundle it with 3D controllers from day one and they are (seemingly...) releasing earlier.

Seanspeed

Banned
The thing I liked about Palmer Luckey and Oculus before is that they seemed more like VR evangelists that just thought the technology was really important than a business that was just in the game to dominate and make as much money as possible. That perception had slowly been cracking until today it completely shattered. They sold out.

I'm less concerned about them being in "last place" when it comes to their input solutions and launch date than I am about then abandoning their ideals and what they used to stand for and for that reason it is going to be very hard for me to trust or support them ever again.
I don't understand how they've sold out.

You don't create a business to not make money. Business has to be sustainable. So of course there was going to be some form of money-making strategy.

Oculus have been going worldwide at shows for several years now. The fact that we're even discussing them at all at the moment is a testament to how well they've promoted their product since getting out there and getting this into people's hands has been a massive, massive part of their growth in popularity.

That's a very strange criticism to make.

Ape

Banned
im seriously confused as to why some people on here are upset by this presser.

they have interesting exclusive content

a great pack in controller

the final product looks awesome and well thought out

what am I missing here? obviously there are some fan boys showing immaturity, but I wont be bothered by that.

UrbanRats

im seriously confused as to why some people on here are upset by this presser.

they have interesting exclusive content

a great pack in controller

the final product looks awesome and well thought out

what am I missing here? obviously there are some fan boys showing immaturity, but I wont be bothered by that.

Well, it was sort of boring, no price, no bundled in special controller (just an xbox controller everybody already has) and a lot of buzzwords, with little to no specifics.
No live demos, barely any game footage.

The Valkyrie trailer was even an old one.

UrbanRats

My final verdict after having slept on it:

Pros:
+ The Rift is as good as one could suspect based on recent prototypes, relatively small/light.
+ Oculus Touch controllers look good, basically remotes ala Vive/PS.Move with a cool design.

Cons:
- They got caught with their pants down by Valve in March and has in their non-readiness regarding input decided to bundle the console with a bog-standard gamepad (from another firm) with no 3D tracking.
- Fragmenting their input offerings as the 'real' controllers are not launching before months after initial release as add-on peripherals.
- Xbox One streaming to PC into VR environment with a virtual TV/living-room was embarrassing for Oculus, also their first software announcement of the show.
- The game lineup was disappointing. The best game is still EVE Valkyrie which showed a 2 month old trailer.
- Oculus trying to nab exclusives from Vive splitting the PC VR market in it's infancy is a horrible move.
- The whole conference/presentation was dry, quiet, and not particularly engaging.
- No official specs on consumer version of Rift.

As of now the Vive has superior technology, has everything Valve to back it up, no control-fragmentation as they will bundle it with 3D controllers from day one and they are (seemingly...) releasing earlier.
I agree with every point i think, save for the one about games.

Yeah they do look simple, but i'm happy they focused on 3rd person games, because people think of VR and automatically assume 1st person, whereas Gabe Newell mentioned how looking at "little things" (in third person) is actually one of the most powerful experiences in VR, and in general i think we need to dispel the myth that 3rd person would die, if VR were to take off.

Personally, i think (and i've mentioned this before on GAF) that VR could be THE platform for technical action games, like Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta:

• High framerate, with a minimum of 90fps, and minimum input lag, responsiveness would be guaranteed.
  • Freedom of camera movement with your head, gives you natural awareness of your surroundings (no more off screen projectile spam!).
  • Solve forever the problem of camera movement, the bane on these goddamn games.

It would be amazing.

Top Bottom