• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddboxx on Steam -- warning, read thread before purchasing

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Holepunch said:
It has been confirmed? The only quote I saw so far is that it is likely to, but not actually confirmed. That and I have to see how quickly and how well the developers patch this game to say if it is worth it, it's not like this game will never go on sale again. I would say wait if you're only interested in Stranger's Wrath.

Eh, Good enough for me. I really cant see it NOT happening.

RedSwirl

wwm0nkey said:
If you want to wait till the PS3 patch releases for PC just buy it and wait. Its still a steal for $12.50 with confirmed updates.

Oh so the PC update won't be a separate release but will update through a patch? Cool.

The fact that someone from Oddworld Inhabitants/Just Add Water is posting here, taking notes about peoples, offering solutions and what not is encouraging. Initially I was going to avoid buying this package until everything was fixed, now I may actually buy the Oddbox knowing that fixes are coming.

V_Ben said:
And here he is... surely the fact that JAW isn't the biggest company means that they don't quite have the resources to test the game on every system, and the fact that PC architecture isn't exactly the same as console architecture, means that that kind of performance is relatively impressive to me, with the bloat of an OS. Though this is just my uneducated opinion speaking here, so any enlightenment you want to provide would be most helpful...

Everyone else on the platform manages to cope just fine. If you release a product for sale then you're expected to cope as everyone else does. Even on internally tested configurations, we already know this is performing similar or worse to your average 360 port, yet its an Xbox game with less than a ~tenth of the complexity (if that).

Sorry, but that's not fit for sale, any which way you slice it and I don't take kindly to developers releasing unfinished products on the PC platform. Be sure, currently the game is performing 10-20x worse than other games of similar complexity do on the same hardware.

samoset

Loaded up Munch's Oddysee with my xbox 360 controller and found soon after the cut-scenes were over that the analog stick doesn't move Abe. So all I can do is point in a direction and jump to move, followed a few minutes later by a crash:lol . GG Oddworld GG.

benjipwns

Banned
RedSwirl said:
Just Stranger's Wrath, or also Muhcee's Odyssee? I already own the Steam versions of the Abe games.
I assume they'll try to patch bugs in both games, but only Stranger's Wrath is getting the "HD content" update.

Or was Munch's the one they didn't port?

vazel

Banned
I really hope they patch these up. I'd hate these games to join some of the older PS2-era Konami and Capcom ports in shittiness.

Spiegel

samoset said:
Loaded up Munch's Oddysee with my xbox 360 controller and found soon after the cut-scenes were over that the analog stick doesn't move Abe. So all I can do is point in a direction and jump to move, followed a few minutes later by a crash:lol . GG Oddworld GG.

Just had the exact same amazing experience. :lol :(

Also Abe's Oddysee crashes at the start and Exodus works for one second and then goes to the desktop all the time when I click on the window.

0/3

Haven't tried Stranger's but hearing the impressions I better wait for a patch because my laptop won't be able to handle it.

Bought when it first went live, and am disappointed but not mad. I'm sure it'll be sorted out soon enough, and when that happens I'll reinstall em. I'll finally play Abe's Exodus in the mean time.

It's good to read that the Devs are active and monitoring the status of the PC release. I'll just be patient and wait to play games after they've all been patched. I've got plenty of games
WoW
to play in the mean time.

wwm0nkey

Mad_Ban said:
From high fps in Munch to the 15 or so in stranger. What a difference... :(
From what I understand Strangers Wrath for the past few years they have been trying to port it but its just so damn hard apparently.

Hey can someone confirm that Abes Odyssey and Exodus can be played in a decent resolution? Hell even something like 1360X768 would be fine. Thanks!

You know, sometimes I feel ashamed for having that Steam press account, and sometimes I thank my lucky stars. I'm almost afraid to start Stranger's Wrath after reading this thread, it's in my all-time top ten.

OMG Aero

Is it just Stranger's Wrath that has problems?
I'm thinking about buying the Oddboxx and would feel a lot more comfortable getting one broken game that will get patched and three that work rather than four games that need to get patched.

wwm0nkey

OMG Aero said:
Is it just Stranger's Wrath that has problems?
I'm thinking about buying the Oddboxx and would feel a lot more comfortable getting one broken game that will get patched and three that work rather than four games that need to get patched.
Some people are reporting crashes on Munch's Odyssey but I havent got any crashes yet personally.

poweld

At 1920x1200 Stranger's Wrath drags big time for me as well. 10fps at best.

My rig:

Win7 x64
Intel Q6600 Quad Core Duo
8GB DDR2 RAM
Nvidia GTX275

Thanks for the updates, GoldenHelmet.

Does anybody know how to set a custom resolution in Munch's Oddysee?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Shiity performance on Stranger's Wrath here too. Initial attempts to force AA failed, please do not let this fall into the same pit as Halo with the renderer cock-blocking AA.

wwm0nkey

Man I kind of feel bad for Golden right now, must be a lot of damage control and ect not to mention trying to make a patch asap.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Stranger's Wrath

Ultra
Full Screen won't work
Huge black bar running full length of bottom of the window
10FPS~

High
20FPS~

Normal
Small black bar stripe running down right hand side of screen
Otherwise runs fine, no slowdown

Low
Fine

Notes:
Good 360 pad support by default
Occasional brief instant hiccups in frame rate during loading transitions

8600GT
Athlon XP X2 4800 CPU
1GB RAM
Win XP

wwm0nkey

Dani said:
Stranger's Wrath

Ultra
Full Screen won't work
Huge black bar running full length of bottom of the window
10FPS~

High
20FPS~

Normal
Small black bar stripe running down right hand side of screen
Otherwise runs fine, no slowdown

Low
Fine

Notes:
Good 360 pad support by default
Occasional brief instant hiccups in frame rate during loading transitions

8600GT
Athlon XP X2 4800 CPU
1GB RAM
Win XP
You need to add a custom resolution, I think Golden explained how last page.

poweld

wwm0nkey said:
You need to add a custom resolution, I think Golden explained how last page.
width=1920
height=1080
fullscreen
resolution=custom

In the config text file.
(replace 1920x1080 with your res)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
wwm0nkey said:
The lag and ect is being addressed and fixed right now from what Ive been reading on twitter and other sources.

Yeah hopefully. Just trying to provide any helpful feedback I can. I loved Stranger's Wrath back when it came out, it deserves all the polish and love it can get.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Add me to the list of folks getting terrible framerates in Stranger.

Specs if it helps:

Proc: i7 950, 3.06 GHZ
Mobo: Asus P6X58D-E
RAM: 12 GB DDR3
GPU: ATI Radeon 5870 1GB (running latest drivers)
Audio: Integrated Realtek Audio

What a dissapointment and right in time for the Holiday Sale too. I was really forward looking to this too being a huge Oddworld fan in the early 2000's. Gonna have to pass on this.

On top of everything else, there are no icons showing up for Stranger's Wrath or Munch's Oddysee in Steam (in the list view at any rate).

I also can't get Abe's Oddysee to recognise L2 and R2 on my Dualshock (running through MotioninJoy as a 360 controller and the triggers aren't buttons, they're the Z-axis). I'm using an xpadder profile to play right now, but I have to go and set keys for Gamespeak every time I boot it up. It also doesn't let me use the d-pad with the gamepad selected.

Ok stranger's runs perfectly at 720p for me (res of my projector) 360 pad works great too.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
ATI Radeon 4850 512 mb
Windows 7 64bit

so I'm happy with that.

is there a way of changing the resolution of Munch's Oddysee? I don't seem to get the crashes others are reporting here.

Also there are no pictures for the game when you view Steam in list mode.

Du2andal

Banned
For those getting the crash at the very start of Munch's Oddysee:

I was getting the same thing and a post in the Steam forums suggested WinXP SP3 compatibility, disabled visual themes and admin mode. I tried it and managed to play for a few hours without any issues. Might have been coincidence but give it a shot.

Has anyone figured a way to set mouse sensitivity in Munch? Sliding my hand like 3 ft to turn 90 degrees is getting a bit old.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Hey gents - chiming in here as I work with Goldenhelmet.

This stuff WILL get fixed in both games. As for an ETA on a patch, that's down to Stew / Golden to answer. I'd say it's as soon as they figure out how to nail these problems and the they test them.

FYI - All the tests for these versions came back clean, so this is a very nasty shock to the Odd crew.

Oh, and the art upgrade PC patch WILL happen, once the PSN stuff is done.

Bebpo

Banned
I went out on a limb and bought your games so now you guys should have money to fund you until you can patch them to better condition :p

And pleeeaaaase, can we get a widescreen patch for at least Stranger's Wrath if not Munch & Strangers? I'm sure if you don't the mod community will probably do it since they do widescreen patches for lots of old games, but it'd probably be a lot easier for you guys to do it yourself since you have direct access to the code. If you want any help the Widescreen Gaming Forum is where most of the 4:3->16:9 mods get made for old games (http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/).

If you can get Stranger's Wrath running at 1080p, 16:9, 60fps, 4x AA on a modern power PC it should hold up pretty well as is and be a blast to play.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Bebpo said:
If you can get Stranger's Wrath running at 1080p, 16:9, 60fps, 4x AA on a modern power PC it should hold up pretty well as is and be a blast to play.
Those two are fine:

stranger2010-12-2022-5h91c.jpg

wwm0nkey

boutrosinit said:
Hey gents - chiming in here as I work with Goldenhelmet.

This stuff WILL get fixed in both games. As for an ETA on a patch, that's down to Stew / Golden to answer. I'd say it's as soon as they figure out how to nail these problems and the they test them.

FYI - All the tests for these versions came back clean, so this is a very nasty shock to the Odd crew.

Oh, and the art upgrade PC patch WILL happen, once the PSN stuff is done.
That right there probably just sold a few copies :lol

Im sure the Odd team is hard at work on the preformance patch right now though :D

wwm0nkey said:
That right there probably just sold a few copies :lol

Im sure the Odd team is hard at work on the preformance patch right now though :D

It's the only reason I even bought the Oddbox at this point. In hindsight, I probably should've purchased the Vietnam expansion along with Bad Company 2.

epmode

Bebpo said:
Oh cool, it has 16:9? I thought people were saying it didn't (still downloading mine off steam)
I'm 99% sure that the videos are stretched in widescreen resolutions. Maybe the UI as well. Patchable, I hope!

I didn't test the FOV so that's pretty neat if it's actually hor+.

But UI stretching usually gets me to go 4:3, soooo

scitek

Bebpo said:
Oh cool, it has 16:9? I thought people were saying it didn't (still downloading mine off steam)

It does, but the HUD is always going to be stretched. Though, the only thing really noticeable is the map because it's round, everything else scales pretty well.

Yeah, it's a shame, the game doesn't look too bad graphically. Framerate's at 11 during this shot.

JRW

Good to know you can change the resolution (1080p monitor) the default "Ultra" setting runs good for me (50-60fps) using i7 920 @ 3.6ghz / EVGA GTX 480, I expected solid 60fps considering the games age but looks like they'll be addressing performance issues soon.

Ultra setting:

stranger%202010-12-20%2020-04-54-80.jpg

stranger%202010-12-20%2020-10-57-37.jpg

Top Bottom