• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir |OT| Second Revision

Zaru

Just got the true ending.

How does Vanillaware do it? I've enjoyed this, Muramasa Rebirth and Dragon's crown way too much considering their flaws. Really makes me look forward to their next game.

krossj

Just finished this, great game and just really well presented throughout the menus etc, like vanillawares other games. Felt repetitive at times but the battles/ combo systems are so fun it was always engaging. Each characters story is the ideal length before a change of abilities and pace is needed.

Played on hard which was relatively straight forward apart from some of those sub bosses being crazy difficult especially with Velvets chapter. And Gallon in the armageddon chapter, that regenerating shit got tedious.

Haganeren

I played the PS2 version and really wanted to love the game. The story and characters were really nice at the time and of course, that 2D was totally unheard of. (And actually still isn't too much... Outside of Vanillaware output... Indie game tends to do other things)

But yeah, i finally gave up in the middle of the second scenario... The difficulty was way too high and the battle system not exactly fun... Everything was very stiff...

But this remake ? Oh boy, it changes EVERYTHING. From the first character, Gwendolyn who have some teleportation aerial slash (which actually make me think of Muramasa) to the last, everything was so much funnier ! The game is still way too repetitive but the fact we now have skills and a lot more combo mean that at least we can battle in a lot of different way (with big skills, with aerial, by always dodging, using alchemy...) which makes it less a problem.... And gardening is way less annoying now since it doesn't mean always coming back to the place you put the seed. (I don't think the whole restaurant thing was there in the PS2 version does it ? Outside of Pooka Village i mean...)

I appreciated the new mini-boss, some are really good (that zepellin battle is always welcomed) and the fact we now have new kind of "area" which doesn't loop lead to a lot more diversity in the game... There is even some
shmup moment
during Mercedes story !

So yeah, it's STILL repetitive and really, there is not nearly enough assets for how big the game is... Or at least having different moveset each time we fight a given boss, i don't know but everything is so much better than i can easily forgive that... And the final chapter was awesome !

I tends to not like remake a lot as i always found the original more charming and closer to the author original vision... And to be honest, i still find some discrepancy here (the fact the weapons is said to absorb all life is more highlighted with the original system for example, or the fact that the Valkyrie can "fly" is less highlighted since every character have a similar move now... But i found a lot of others) but for this one time, i feel it was still better this way.

Awesome remake.

Got this (finally) for Christmas, bout halfway through the second scenario. Such a great game and a massive step up from muramasa/DG which i already really liked, but the combat here is just alot better, i also really like the games systems.
Only gripe so far is that Cornelius is really easy to play.

Is there a list somewhere of what the exact differences between this version and the PS2 are?
I only played a few hours of this back on the PS2, but I'm just curious.

Also, do different character's stories have different locations and enemies or is it all exactly the same each time? I'm a few hours into Cornelius' story and I'm curious if I'm going to fight any new bosses that maybe Gwendolyn didn't fight or something.

cheesekao

Is there a list somewhere of what the exact differences between this version and the PS2 are?
I only played a few hours of this back on the PS2, but I'm just curious.

Also, do different character's stories have different locations and enemies or is it all exactly the same each time? I'm a few hours into Cornelius' story and I'm curious if I'm going to fight any new bosses that maybe Gwendolyn didn't fight or something.
1. Overhauled combat system
2. Skill system has been improved
3. New mid-bosses have been added
4. Better frame-rate
5. There are areas and bosses which are not available to some characters but they're mostly similar

Lyrian

Got this (finally) for Christmas, bout halfway through the second scenario. Such a great game and a massive step up from muramasa/DG which i already really liked, but the combat here is just alot better, i also really like the games systems.
Only gripe so far is that Cornelius is really easy to play.

Odin Sphere is an excellent example of a remaster done right.

Oh.... and you may regret your gripe about Cornelius when you get to the later playable characters in the game, like Oswald.

Hero

Finally got to Oswald's book, about how long are his and Velvet's?

Gwen took me like 10 hours, Cornelius took like 5, Mercedes took me 4. I'm assuming it's intentional they really try to power you up more quickly as you progress to the end characters?

Zakalwe

Banned
My friend spent Xmas beak engrossed in this game, I think she may be obsessed. It's so utterly charming, I adore the 90s arcade aesthetic and gameplay.

I tried the Classic Mode and it really is quite remarkable how much effort they put into this. It's a well loved game, and it shows.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm bumping this thread, because I just bought the game and it's pure crack so far. Not as easy as I initially thought as well. Well, it's not difficult so to speak, but I thought it was going to be nothing but a monotonous press square to win kind of experience. But I'm running into situations where I have to evade, block, use potions, etc.

I also need to research vanilla release vs. remaster because I remember being very down on vanilla for its many technical and design issues. And I don't know whether the things I'm enjoying are new, or have always been there (chiefly, combat, encounters, secrets and map design).

Hero

I'm bumping this thread, because I just bought the game and it's pure crack so far. Not as easy as I initially thought as well. Well, it's not difficult so to speak, but I thought it was going to be nothing but a monotonous press square to win kind of experience. But I'm running into situations where I have to evade, block, use potions, etc.

I also need to research vanilla release vs. remaster because I remember being very down on vanilla for its many technical and design issues. And I don't know whether the things I'm enjoying are new, or have always been there (chiefly, combat, encounters, secrets and map design).

Yeah I was in the same camp you were, absolutely could NOT play the PS2 release despite having been so excited for it. The remaster on PS4 is one of the best uses of the word in the world of gaming. Really puts a lot of other 'remasters' to shame.

I didn't know you needed specific characters to fight specific bosses at the end. Crap. I guess I have to do it all over again.

I also got a notice telling me all the characters were sharing a chest, but how exactly do you open it? I forgot.
Do I just go back to their book and use it there?

Baalzebup

I didn't know you needed specific characters to fight specific bosses at the end. Crap. I guess I have to do it all over again.

I also got a notice telling me all the characters were sharing a chest, but how exactly do you open it? I forgot.
Do I just go back to their book and use it there?
Once you unlock the feature, every character can access the chest of every character. Whenever you access your chest, you should see a button prompt that allows you to switch to the others' chests.

And yeah, the the prophecy tells you more or less the exact order that you need to use to actually win, like mentioning the color of the weapon you should use / shouldn't use for a certain kind of being etc. There are even character specific fail states as well in addition to the normal "wrong person" results,
like confronting the Fire King with Gwendolyn.

My friend spent Xmas beak engrossed in this game, I think she may be obsessed. It's so utterly charming, I adore the 90s arcade aesthetic and gameplay.

I tried the Classic Mode and it really is quite remarkable how much effort they put into this. It's a well loved game, and it shows.

This was me when the original game came out. I could look past the bad combat of the original release because I got sucked into the world and char stories this game presents. When I heard rumors of a remaster, I HAD to have the limited addition. Even got my 5 year old niece to really enjoy the game, somewhat. One of my favorite games of all time.

Cathcart

This was me when the original game came out. I could look past the bad combat of the original release because I got sucked into the world and char stories this game presents
I passed on this back when it came out on PS2 because I already had so many RPGs to play that I wasn't sure I'd be able to give it the time. Picked it up on the xmas sale and I'm loving it so far. Just curious about what was so bad about combat in the original? Was it just the frame rate issues or were there other changes, because I'm loving the combat in the remaster.

I passed on this back when it came out on PS2 because I already had so many RPGs to play that I wasn't sure I'd be able to give it the time. Picked it up on the xmas sale and I'm loving it so far. Just curious about what was so bad about combat in the original? Was it just the frame rate issues or were there other changes, because I'm loving the combat in the remaster.

Honestly, it is not all THAT bad...But if you are curious, they have the original version built into this game. It had a stamina system that prevented you from doing more than a handful of attacks, and if you went over this, you would be left vulnerable for a few seconds.

The biggest issue is that this game was more than the poor ps2 could handle. Several bosses, mainly the boss for the underworld, would slow the ps2 down to a crawl, and it made it very unplayable. There were workarounds, but that should not be required to progress.

Cathcart

Oh wow, that's right. I haven't played anything else on the PS4 since I started this so I've only seen the main menu one. I forgot it had that classic version.

The stamina thing sounds pretty frustrating, though. Thanks.

gdt

I'm like 8 hours in with Gwendolyn, at what point do I change characters? And can I change them freely after that? Do they share levels and xp?

I'm like 8 hours in with Gwendolyn, at what point do I change characters? And can I change them freely after that? Do they share levels and xp?

Each character's story is somewhere between 7-10 hours, each story has 6 chapters and a prelude.
They don't share levels or experience.
And each character has a different book, so you can just go back to the attic and switch characters.

Any good way to farm ruewort or ruewort seeds? They're way too expensive.

Not really, but getting coins or even seeds like this should not be an issue near the end of most of the chars stories. In their final chapters, if you S rank some of the stages, you tend to get these as rewards. Take a look at all the rewards on the maps for the stages, they can be repeated, and you might find what you are looking for. Worst comes to worst, the coins you will get will let you buy what you want easily.

slade

Bought this during the sale. Up to Mercedes' chapter now. Makes me wish they would revamp Muramasa like this for the PS4. I would gladly double dip.

mileS

So no missable trophies? I really want to platinum this eventually but I find focusing on missing trophies takes me out of the experience.

Hero

So no missable trophies? I really want to platinum this eventually but I find focusing on missing trophies takes me out of the experience.

This game wasn't hard to platinum at all. When I beat the game I saw I only had about 6 trophies that I had missed naturally and only took me about 1-2 hours to clean up. 33 hours to beat the game + Platinum is pretty decent. And like the poster above me said no missable trophies.

mileS

Fantastic. Will be free to eat and plant whatever I want. Clean it up after.

I'm still very early in the game, and as others have said it is extremely easy on normal. Going hard for sure now. It is nice to know I can switch freely if it ever gets to be too much on a sub boss or boss.

mileS

I'm still very early in the game (chapter 3 of the first book) but difficulty is all over the place. I'll go from taking no damage to a sub boss who kicks my ass and has me chugging potions. I feel like playing it on hard and switching to normal for bosses. That would get annoying after a while.

cheesekao

I'm still very early in the game (chapter 3 of the first book) but difficulty is all over the place. I'll go from taking no damage to a sub boss who kicks my ass and has me chugging potions. I feel like playing it on hard and switching to normal for bosses. That would get annoying after a while.
Bosses definitely take a beating on hard. Like you, I sometimes changed the difficulty to normal but it's not really that much of a hassle imo.

arcticice

I got this game as a gift. The game seems to be getting great reception, but i have heard that there is a lot of back tracking. is this true?

cheesekao

I got this game as a gift. The game seems to be getting great reception, but i have heard that there is a lot of back tracking. is this true?
The problem some people have with it isn't so much the backtracking but rather the heavy re-use of environments. Stages are shared between the 5 characters.

The stages, enemies, and bosses are all pretty much recycled between the characters.

I'm only @ the
the prince
but I can see this being true

Dayumnnnn there's that many characters? This is an 40++ hour game.

really fun. Love the eating food and potion mechanics.

sphinx

the piano man
will I have to grind alot of that phozon things to upgrade my weapons? I am early with gwendolyn and the things seem hard to come by.

Giolon

will I have to grind alot of that phozon things to upgrade my weapons? I am early with gwendolyn and the things seem hard to come by.

Phozon "income" increases as you progress through each character's chapters. You'll get quite a good amount, but don't expect to gain enough to max out every single skill. Expect to be able to at least experiment with each skill 1 or 2 levels, then be able to max out 2-3 of them on each character's playthrough.

ScOULaris

Just came back to the game after not having played it for a few months. I find that taking breaks in between chapters helps alleviate some of the repetition inherent in the game's design. On my Oswald chapter right now and loving it.

Even though it's a port, I think Leifthrasir is arguably one of the best games on the Vita. I have it for PS4 as well, but I end up playing more on the Vita because it's so well suited to the portable format. It helps that it's such a fantastic port in terms of fidelity and performance too.

Koppai

Bought it at launch and started playing it in December. Finally finished it...what pissed me off was the final chapter you have to use certain character to fight the boss or you don't finish the game properly. Otherwise i quite enjoyed the presentation.

sphinx

the piano man
a question, I am getting a TON of items, very quickly it's a mtter of time til everything is full, including item box.

what items are nearly useless? would be nice to know which things I could just discard them or not even pick them up.

Phozon "income" increases as you progress through each character's chapters. You'll get quite a good amount, but don't expect to gain enough to max out every single skill. Expect to be able to at least experiment with each skill 1 or 2 levels, then be able to max out 2-3 of them on each character's playthrough.

mmh ok, better tone it down with the OCD and the "everything upgraded, everything 100%" then??

I read somewhere I need a character at level 65 to completely upgrade them, though so I'll probably try that.

gdt

a question, I am getting a TON of items, very quickly it's a mtter of time til everything is full, including item box.

what items are nearly useless? would be nice to know which things I could just discard them or not even pick them up.

mmh ok, better tone it down with the OCD and the "everything upgraded, everything 100%" then??

I read somewhere I need a character at level 65 to completely upgrade them, though so I'll probably try that.

Around 65 to upgrade their abilities skill things (in the chests), not the phozon abilities. Not anywhere near upgrading all those.

gdt

So I finally finished this monster and man did I love it.

Anywho, any chance of a similar remake or remaster for Muramasa the Demondblade? I have no interest in touching my vita really.

sphinx

the piano man
So I just finished Gwendolyn's chapter and I think I understand the flow and content of the game.

Cornelius's book appeared but I can also go back to Gwendolyn's.

question is, what is the best method to grind for things in the game?

LEVEL EXP

it looks like that pooka village has stuff that gives decent amount of exp but you need the special coins that take a while to get. so that's probably not the fastest way.

Maury needs ingredients which often are expensive

eating ingredients by themselves gives laughable exp points, no use eating them to level up.

what should I do?? I know I can improve the numbers with yoghurt but what ingredients and where should I grind

Phozons

there's the "xtra phozon" potion but on lower levels it only gives 6 or 12, which isn't really much.

Naturalize, at least at a low level, turns stuff on the floor into 1 phozon... pretty bad.

what's the fastest way to grind for these??

Hero

So I just finished Gwendolyn's chapter and I think I understand the flow and content of the game.

LEVEL EXP

it looks like that pooka village has stuff that gives decent amount of exp but you need the special coins that take a while to get. so that's probably not the fastest way.

eating ingredients by themselves gives laughable exp points, no use eating them to level up.

what should I do?? I know I can improve the numbers with yoghurt but what ingredients and where should I grind

Phozons

there's the "xtra phozon" potion but on lower levels it only gives 6 or 12, which isn't really much.

Naturalize, at least at a low level, turns stuff on the floor into 1 phozon... pretty bad.

Is there a reason you feel like you need to grind in this game? They're pretty generous in terms of the coins/food/etc that drop from enemies and inside of treasure chests.

I would always clear a whole map completely before visiting Maury and eating the highest level food that either I had the ingredients for or could buy and I felt like I was always overleveled with that method alone. Make sure you purchase the +20% XP skill for each character right away too, since it's basically "free" XP. Now granted, I was getting 90% S ranks on each fights so I was getting the best items from chests, so maybe thats why, but I never felt like I had to grind. After Gwendolyn the game is pretty quick to level the characters compared to her.

Another tip is only good for food with Maury that have exclamation points, they start with three !!! and go to !! then !. That means you get a pretty sizable bonus. I wouldn't ever eat food that didn't offer a bonus unless I was in the final chapter for that character or something.

gdt

LEVEL EXP

Phozons

S level all fights so you can get extra money and ingredients.

Don't go crazy spending food at Maury's until you clear the map, except for the trial stage and the boss.

When you have gathered all the ingredients you can. Make as high a level Yogurt as you can. 7/8/9. Just make use an empty bottle with milk then pair it with some fruit you grew. Grape/Napple/Lamb Chop etc. They hugely boost alchemy levels. The yogurt can up to double xp gains from Maury. Cha ching. When you start unlocking Ruewort ingredients this will just you a ton of levels.

Also make healing potions and boost them with fruit you grow. Its faster than eating the fruits during battle.

sphinx

the piano man
Is there a reason you feel like you need to grind in this game? They're pretty generous in terms of the coins/food/etc that drop from enemies and inside of treasure chests.

I would always clear a whole map completely before visiting Maury and eating the highest level food that either I had the ingredients for or could buy and I felt like I was always overleveled with that method alone. Make sure you purchase the +20% XP skill for each character right away too, since it's basically "free" XP. Now granted, I was getting 90% S ranks on each fights so I was getting the best items from chests, so maybe thats why, but I never felt like I had to grind. After Gwendolyn the game is pretty quick to level the characters compared to her.

Another tip is only good for food with Maury that have exclamation points, they start with three !!! and go to !! then !. That means you get a pretty sizable bonus. I wouldn't ever eat food that didn't offer a bonus unless I was in the final chapter for that character or something.

I am playing on normal difficulty and I noticed I was just about in the right level and I usually like to be a bit overleveled.

I already have the free XP skill, and got most S rankings, probably got an A 3 times and a B once,

thanks for the tips

S level all fights so you can get extra money and ingredients.

Don't go crazy spending food at Maury's until you clear the map, except for the trial stage and the boss.

When you have gathered all the ingredients you can. Make as high a level Yogurt as you can. 7/8/9. Just make use an empty bottle with milk then pair it with some fruit you grew. Grape/Napple/Lamb Chop etc. They hugely boost alchemy levels. The yogurt can up to double xp gains from Maury. Cha ching. When you start unlocking Ruewort ingredients this will just you a ton of levels.

Also make healing potions and boost them with fruit you grow. Its faster than eating the fruits during battle.

not sure if I am just old and or too slow today but I have a hard time following all of this in my mind, so let's see.

step by step:

.- Play a chapter normally, getting as much S rankings as possible to get the best rewards. by the way, what do you mean with the bolded?? not sure why I shouldn't kill the trial boss

.- before I go to the very last boss, I should create a high level yogurt (I do have a couple in my inventory right now, will mix with fruits to bring it to level 9)

.- Drink the yogurt and proceed to make those Maury meals with exclamation marks or the best available to me. Use money to buy ingredients from the seller.

.- Ruewort (this is the fruit, right? not the seed) is either very expensive or takes 40 Phozons to create :( what would be the best way to get this in Gwendolyn's last chapter?

also, did you try using the Gold potion? I read in Gamefaqs that a level 9 Gold potion used in a boss fight will increase the money tremendously. Worth checking out.

sphinx

the piano man
ok so I maxed Gwendolyn and it didn't take me that long.

on her last level, using the Gold potion on the mini-boss, the one that is in the dark would net me 2 or 3 commemorative coins, plus a lot of the other special coins.

Bringing her to level 99 was pretty fast,

Maxing skills does take longer, but producing the "Xtra phozon" potion makes things a lot faster.

doing this 5 times with every chapter though.... not looking forward to that.

On the postive side, battles are very short and kind of addictive.

Top Bottom