• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir Review Thread

Curufinwe

Personal 4 Golden is a very unfair comparison

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/ga...ear/all/filtered?sort=desc&year_selected=2016

Are these 2016 releases all unfair comparisons, too?

Stephen's Sausage Roll 90
Stardew valley 88
Fire Emblem 88
Ori 87
The Witness 87
Salt and Sanctuary 86
Pony Island 86
BlazBlue 85
Assault Android Cactus 85
Darkest Dungeon 84
Hyper Light Drifter 84
Enter the Gungeon 84
Grim Dawn 83
Devil Daggers 83
Danganronpa 83
Banner Saga 2 83
Severed 83
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime 82
Invisible Inc 82
Superhot 82
Bravely Second 81
Firewatch 81
Samorost 3 81

nampad

Will probably get the Vita version. Was about to wait but these scores are making it difficult.
Vita means life!

For some reason I never played the original, so I'm looking forward to playing this, glad to see the scores are good.

Started playing Dust an Elysian Tail recently, forgot I had it on PS Plus but I'm really enjoying it so far, even if it's a little on the easy side. It should get me in the mood for Odin Sphere though.

//ARCANUM

This is a weird question, but does anyone know if this game uses the right analog stick or not? My wife has trouble playing games with a control pad but can play them just fine (and enjoys doing so) on a Fightstick. I'm wondering if she could actually play this game with a Fightstick. Does it require the D-Pad and Right analog stick? Or can she just use the Left analog and face/L/R buttons?

Jay Sosa

I wonder how many of those reviewers actually played the entire game from start to finish.

That was a major point of the reworking of this game. That's why they have the original mode selectable as "Classic Mode".

So you don't have to beat the same fucking stages with EVERY fucking character to get to the ending?

jrcbandit

Nice reviews but the game is way too expensive for a remastered ps2 port, considering Ratchet and Clank was only $40 and had allot more original content.

Nice reviews but the game is way too expensive for a remastered ps2 port, considering Ratchet and Clank was only $60 and had allot more original content.

It's a remake, not a remaster. They completely redid the gameplay to make it faster and added in skills, directional moves, changes to level design and menus, among other changes. It's not just an HD polish job.

IzzyF3

I always buy Vanillaware games because of the art and word of mouth, but I never play much of them because of the grind... Going to try it one more time.

JPS Kai

I wonder how many of those reviewers actually played the entire game from start to finish.

So you don't have to beat the same fucking stages with EVERY fucking character to get to the ending?

Oh, you still do.

I got the platinum.

Nice reviews but the game is way too expensive for a remastered ps2 port, considering Ratchet and Clank was only $40 and had allot more original content.

Have you played it yet? Apparently the combat is very different than before and it seems like there are other changes in the game. Not fair to say this isnt worth it when it has had a lot done to it when other remasters (not ratchet and clank) sell for that price as well.

It's also substantially longer than ratchet and clank from what it looks like.

ScOULaris

Where's the one guy who made that presumptive thread about the game looking easy for no reason? Lol

That would be me, and most reviews/impressions of the game mention that it's too easy on Normal and still pretty damn easy on Hard. My concerns were valid, it seems.

I'm still getting it, of course. I just know going in that the challenge simply won't be there, even on Hard.

WaterAstro

Then I don't see how they 'fixed' anything.

That's how the story works. The five characters are adventuring through the same story at the same time. It's fundamental to the game that you're playing the same content for the sake of the story. You don't break a game to fix it.

And you unlock a timeline flow chart that shows where each char was in relation to other chars in certain parts of the story. It might feel repetitive, but it is essential to getting a fuller understanding of what is going on.

ScOULaris

Even on Hard and Hell difficulty?

Did you try the New Game Plus mode that makes enemies harder as well?

Hell is probably challenging due to the 200HP limit, but that's a mode that has to be unlocked by completing the entire game once first.

The modes available to the player at the start are all easy. Hard is recommended for most gamers who are decent at action games, but even then it sounds like it's not very challenging. Classic Mode will be like the original game, so it will be harder than Leifthrasir.

I made that other thread because I was worried that this would be the case. In my mind we should've gotten the new content of Leifthrasir along with beefed up, aggressive AI to maintain the balanced challenge of the original. The game is already somewhat repetitive, and the effect is amplified when the enemies are just combo fodder without much fight in them. It's still gonna be a great game, but I think it could've been even better if Normal/Hard offered a bit more of a challenge to make the game feel less like you're on autopilot, mowing through endless swathes of apathetic enemies.

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/ga...ear/all/filtered?sort=desc&year_selected=2016

Stardew valley 88
Fire Emblem 88
Ori 87
The Witness 87
Salt and Sanctuary 86
Pony Island 86
BlazBlue 85
Darkest Dungeon 84
Hyper Light Drifter 84
Enter the Gungeon 84
Grim Dawn 83
Devil Daggers 83
Danganronpa 83
Banner Saga 2 83
Severed 83
Invisible Inc 82
Superhot 82
Bravely Second 81
Firewatch 81
Samorost 3 81

yeah, a nice chunk of them

Aters

That was a major point of the reworking of this game. That's why they have the original mode selectable as "Classic Mode".

Nah, the repetitive is noticeable when you are into the second half the game. They can't fix it unless they make new dungeons, which they didn't.

Corpekata

Banned
Even on Hard and Hell difficulty?

Did you try the New Game Plus mode that makes enemies harder as well?

Hard is still very easy. I didn't really bother with Hell or NG+ given they take forever to unlock and it's not exactly a game I want to replay right away.

ScOULaris

Nah, the repetitive is noticeable when you are into the second half the game. They can't fix it unless they make new dungeons, which they didn't.

No? It definitely looks like there are some brand-new areas in Leifthrasir that were absent in the original. Look at these locations:

image_odin_sphere_leifthrasir-29663-3388_0002.jpg
odin-sphere-leifthrasir-ps-vita-screenshots-20160110-001.jpg
odin-sphere-leifthrasir_043.jpg

Hard is still very easy. I didn't really bother with Hell or NG+ given they take forever to unlock and it's not exactly a game I want to replay right away.

Yeah, I could tell as much from all of the videos on YouTube showing gameplay from the Japanese release. I'm not sure why so many people took offense to my thread. It was a valid concern, and still is.

Jay Sosa

That's how the story works. The five characters are adventuring through the same story at the same time. It's fundamental to the game that you're playing the same content for the sake of the story. You don't break a game to fix it.

Break the game? How is fixing horrible game design breaking the game?

Seven ? There is not 5 Characters ?

It felt like 20 tbh.

Aters

No? It definitely looks like there are some brand-new areas in Leifthrasir that were absent in the original. Look at these locations:

That's not new dungeon, just a few new rooms in the existing dungeons. They get old too when you are visiting for the third time. I beat the game because I absolutely love the art style and the story and the characters, and I think it takes no less to beat it.

FirLocke

Can't wait for it, have had it pre-ordered from the moment it was available on NISA Europe's website. Was sold on it back in January when I played the demo in Japanese!

matmanx1

Originally had the Storybook edition pre-ordered but I really can't justify the expenditure at this point considering my backlog. I still want the game though so I've stepped down to the Vita version since it sounds like it is a pretty good port and mostly runs at 60 frames.

anddo0

This will be my third purchase of the game (PS2, PS2 download on PS3).. The demo showed enough for this to be a purchase.

Why no cross-buy? :(

Rektash

Just checked my order because of this thread:

International Airmail (Delivery is 7-28 Business Days [ITEMS IN LARGER ORDERS MAY SHIP SEPARATE] to DE : 0.21 lb(s)) (Odin Sphere Leifthrasir Storybook Edition - PS4 (New) (Pre-Order)) $107.48CDN

-> Shipped

Awwww, yiiiiiiis!

WaterAstro

Break the game? How is fixing horrible game design breaking the game?

Because it's not horrible? Each character is travelling to the same areas that obviously should have the same enemies, and each character plays differently which makes each playthrough different as you approach fighting these enemies in a different way.

How would you fix it if you think it's broken?

Stardew valley 88
Fire Emblem 88
Ori 87
The Witness 87
Salt and Sanctuary 86
Pony Island 86
BlazBlue 85
Darkest Dungeon 84
Hyper Light Drifter 84
Enter the Gungeon 84
Grim Dawn 83
Devil Daggers 83
Danganronpa 83
Banner Saga 2 83
Severed 83
Invisible Inc 82
Superhot 82
Bravely Second 81
Firewatch 81
Samorost 3 81
Not all of those games are really all that niche, some are but things like Firewatch, The Witness, Superhot, and Ori received press attention greater than most AAA games receive, and we're highly anticipated. Fire Emblem is no longer really a niche franchise now that it sells 1 million plus units, and Bravely Second is a sequel to a critically acclaimed and very successful game. The rest are relatively niche, but not in the same way an Odin Sphere remake is. Also, gaming press is notoriously hot and cold toward Vanillaware's titles. Dragon's Crown reviewed well, but Muramasa faired worse and its remake was largely ignored.

Top Bottom