• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-site Community Discussion (Reset, etc.) -- READ OP. Stay civil. Don't make it personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa

Banned
I think any reasonable person would say that, friends or not, he probably shouldn’t kiss her during a formal interview. However, it’s only because of the idiots like NI who feed off the outrage and act like he punched a baby that this gets any attention. Just slap him on the wrist and tell him not to do it again then move on. Stop with this attempted unpersoning shit you fragile little children.

Shmunter

I think any reasonable person would say that, friends or not, he probably shouldn’t kiss her during a formal interview. However, it’s only because of the idiots like NI who feed off the outrage and act like he punched a baby that this gets any attention. Just slap him on the wrist and tell him not to do it again then move on. Stop with this attempted unpersoning shit you fragile little children.

That’s right. How is any of this supposed to improve the world? It’s disguised hate, eating away at everything.

fantomena

It's weird to have Luke Cage on there as all other Marvel Netflix shows are cancelled as well. Got nothing to do with diversity, it's the highe rups at Netflix who didn't want to continue making expensive shows when the company holding the rights (DIsney) wanted their own streaming service.

Also, does anyone got proof that TLJ is what made Han Solo fail? As far as Im concerned, not many cared about that movie or thought it looked great, simple as that. I saw TLJ in cinema, but not Han Solo because I didn't care and didn't look great.

Lawbreakers didn't go broke due to diversity, it did go broke because it couldn't enter a market when everyone was still on other games like Overwatch.

Dishonored 2 did bad, just like Evil WIthin 2, but why is there no mention Evil Within 2 there?

The whole lost consists of products that because some developers have said they want to focus on diversity that's the reason it "went broke" when there are other reasons for that.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Do you think the man she was grinding on should file a sexual harassment case against her? (additional: Would you support him doing so?)

If he decided that it was unwanted contact and said she was forcing herself onto him then yes I would support that if the video actually showed that. But it doesn't. He was clearly enjoying the contact and was a consenting party. Compare that to the video where she was very obviously forced to kiss him and you get two totally different situations.

One is a video of two consenting adults interacting at a backstage social gathering.

The other is a video of someone forcing themselves on someone else without consent during an on camera interview.

The two situations are not comparable.

Can you point out where I said that please?

If thats not what you meant by your post then thats my mistake for jumping to conclusions. But from what I can tell you seem to be trying to excuse his actions during the interview by using her behavior later on to do it.

Her being around him and his friends later on in the night does not excuse what he did in the interview. It was inappropriate, unprofessional and it crossed a line. And she clearly agrees. Thats the point I am trying to make here. One does not excuse the other. They are completely separate situations.

He was carried away. He did not intend to harm her. Apologise and move on.

Stop holding something that should be laughed off as a silly gaf as some kind of a crime.

I can't tell if you are being serious or not.

If you are then it might surprise you to find out that forcing unwanted physical contact on someone against their will IS a crime.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
If he decided that it was unwanted contact and said she was forcing herself onto him then yes I would support that if the video actually showed that. But it doesn't. He was clearly enjoying the contact and was a consenting party. Compare that to the video where she was very obviously forced to kiss him and you get two totally different situations.

One is a video of two consenting adults interacting at a backstage social gathering.

The other is a video of someone forcing themselves on someone else without consent during an on camera interview.

The two situations are not comparable.

If thats not what you meant by your post then thats my mistake for jumping to conclusions. But from what I can tell you seem to be trying to excuse his actions during the interview by using her behavior later on to do it.

Her being around him and his friends later on in the night does not excuse what he did in the interview. It was inappropriate, unprofessional and it crossed a line. And she clearly agrees. Thats the point I am trying to make here. One does not excuse the other. They are completely separate situations.

You’re looking at it after the fact when you’ve seen how the receiving parties reacted. In either case, before the action, neither instigator knew how their action would be received. You’re also overlooking the fact that men are socially conditioned not to complain about such things. It’s part of stoicism. Women, on the other hand, can play the victim over innocuous things and pathetic white knights like you will rush to defend their honour.

they ain’t gonna fuck you

cormack12

Gold Member

Evidence unquestioningly that statement - from that video. It sounds very, very close to 'she was asking for it', 'she was loving it' or 'she wanted it'. This is just you interpreting it how you want. Similarly to how someone may interpret her not pulling away and laughing meant the kiss is fine. Be consistent because you're falling apart. NOTE: I didn't ask you for your opinion, but you felt it was important to state that the video does not show that. Impartiality right, what's that?

Why didn't he do it to someone like Helen Yee? is it because they don't share that same sort of extra curricular relationship he does with this reporter? Or is it because he's a sexual predator? I edited my post above about your NYE example - can you answer that please, despite this general 'discord' ;)

Nobody_Important

Evidence unquestioningly that statement - from that video. It sounds very, very close to 'she was asking for it', 'she was loving it' or 'she wanted it'. This is just you interpreting it how you want. Similarly to how someone may interpret her not pulling away and laughing meant the kiss is fine. Be consistent because you're falling apart. NOTE: I didn't ask you for your opinion, but you felt it was important to state that the video does not show that. Impartiality right, what's that?

Where in that video do you think he is not a consenting party? Because from what I can see he seems to be grabbing her ass and her waist and pulling her closer to himself. Thats not me seeing what I wanna see. Thats just me seeing.

Why didn't he do it to someone like Helen Yee? is it because they don't share that same sort of extra curricular relationship he does with this reporter? Or is it because he's a sexual predator?

I hate to break it to you, but "Why didn't he force himself on other women?!?" is not a real argument. A person does not need to do something like this multiple times in order to be held accountable by others. I think you will find that once is plenty in most cases.

This is obviously going nowhere though. Its just a circular argument at this point. You think you are right and I think I am right. You guys can believe what you want though I guess. I am just thankful not everyone has such a loose definition of assault and consent as some of you.

Last edited:

Shmunter

I can't tell if you are being serious or not.

If you are then it might surprise you to find out that forcing unwanted physical contact on someone against their will IS a crime.

Levels Jerry....Levels.

Hand holding, a hug, a pat on the back, an inspired kiss. These things are not binary, they don’t demean, hurt, or effect the world in a negative way. Quite likely the opposite.

We are not machines that see everything in 1’s And 0’s.

Nobody_Important

Levels Jerry....Levels.

Hand holding, a hug, a pat on the back, an inspired kiss. These things are not binary, they don’t demean, hurt, or effect the world in a negative way. Quite likely the opposite.

We are not machines that see everything in 1’s And 0’s.

You are 100% right, but thats not what happened here. He literally grabbed her face and forced her to kiss him and she clearly believes that he crossed a line.

But like I just said this is clearly going nowhere. There is no point in going in circles and wasting anymore time than I already have.

Last edited:

Shmunter

You are 100% right, but thats not what happened here. He literally grabbed her face and forced her to kiss him and she clearly believes that he crossed a line.

But like I just said this is clearly going nowhere. There is no point in going in circles and wasting anymore time than I already have.

Don’t let it get you down, I appreciate opposing views and the related debate.

cormack12

Gold Member
Where in that video do you think he is not a consenting party? Because from what I can see he seems to be grabbing her ass and her waist and pulling her closer to himself. Thats not me seeing what I wanna see. Thats just me seeing.

Exactly. Seeing what you want. You have to 'prove' that's the case from a pixelated image and a hand resting on her thigh/back area - If you want to submit that as evidence to your point. You made the claim, which I did not ask for, now you need to evidence it. My position is that from pixelation, lack of facial expression and clarity, it is a massive leap to assume the guy is 'liking it' or 'asking for it'. I can gravely concede he may be 'going along' with it - but by your own admission, this is not 'consent'. So, again, evidence what you are saying. Persuade me you are right, irrefutably so.

I hate to break it to you, but "Why didn't he force himself on other women?!?" is not a real argument. A person does not need to do something like this multiple times in order to be held accountable by others. I think you will find that once is plenty in most cases.

Again, inventing a point to dispute. Either you are bad at reading into what people are trying to illustrate or you do it on purpose. Based on posting history I'd say it's the latter. The point is that no liberties have been taken by this individual against any other female reporter/individual, so there is an extenuating circumstance (as it pertains to this case alone). That circumstance evidenced by pictures, accounts and backed up by the individual concerned is that there is an underlying friendship already has defined parameters in acceptable behaviour's, from both sides. It could be a lie, it could not be - but it's not beyond the realms of plausibility.

This is obviously going nowhere though. Its just a circular argument at this point. You think you are right and I think I am right. You guys can believe what you want though I guess. I am just thankful not everyone has such a loose definition of assault and consent as some of you.

These topics are always about being 'right' for you, that's why you can't discuss things. Not once, have I said the boxer is in the right. I am discussing this from a higher level than the narrow focus of the incident. Although being right is not about being 'right', it's about championing the thoughts of other people being right. A certain type of people. But yeah, this is wrapped. Something we both agree on finally :)

Also, if you are engaing honestly, can you answer the question about the NYE scenario involving yourself and the question of consent please. I think it's my previous post but one.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Women, on the other hand, can play the victim over innocuous things and pathetic white knights like you will rush to defend their honour.

they ain’t gonna fuck you
This is totally uncalled for. Nobody_Important Nobody_Important pointed out how people here illegitimarely jumped to conclusions about her (implied) consent, insinuating sexual motivations (and asserting sexual frustration at the same time) is just an unbased ad hominem.

Boss Mog

Last edited:
So I check out this thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/co...say-she-mistook-suspects-car-for-uber.108694/ and I'm surprised by only 2 pages since ERA loves to champion women so much and I see a whole lot of victim blaming within those 2 pages, yet no warnings or bans. Intrigued, I decided to look for the story since the link in the OP wasn't working for me and then it all became totally clear to me: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ent-getting-car-thought-Uber-hours-death.html
Ohhhh he was a black male.......I guess the immovable object defeated the unstoppable force.

Pretty shitty crime to be honest...
Surprised this one has not popped up...unless I missed it

Would be the perfect honeypot
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...n-rape-sexual-assault-appeals-conviction.html

I honestly never got Uber and Air BnB and all that kind of stuff. I do not trust random people enough to get in a car with a stranger or sleep in a stranger's house. Hell, I don't trust hardly anyone that much.

Air BnB just got in trouble over its "employees" recording their clients, because there are no real enforceable standards of service. I don't like the union mentality of taxi drivers, but there is uniformity there. Regulated medallions, colors, decals, all that is legally protected. When you have to make yourself vulnerable in a transaction, I think that is important.

Mista

Banned
21591-DFE-AF8-C-4603-B303-E033-F49-FA454.jpg
SPOT ON!!!!

White (but half Mexican). I thought these types usually labelled themselves whichever race gets them the most oppression points.
Maybe he’s being generous with the half & half? Idk

Honestly I just feel bad for him. Getting laid isn’t super complicated or hard to make happen.

Hopefully someone explains how to uncomplicate it.

Papa

Banned
Maybe he’s being generous with the half & half? Idk

Honestly I just feel bad for him. Getting laid isn’t super complicated or hard to make happen.

Hopefully someone explains how to uncomplicate it.

It’s really not that complicated. All you have to do is treat them like normal people and have respect for yourself. It’s why white knights never get laid 😂

Boss Mog

This is the most pitiful post I think I've ever read.

upload image
Taking a girl to a strip club, this guy is class personified:pie_eyeroll:

Ohhhh he was a black male.......I guess the immovable object defeated the unstoppable force.

Pretty shitty crime to be honest...
Surprised this one has not popped up...unless I missed it

Would be the perfect honeypot
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...n-rape-sexual-assault-appeals-conviction.html

They keep saying she should have known better, she shouldn't have been drunk etc... How about the piece of shit that raped and killed her should of been a human being and said: "I'm sorry miss I'm not your Uber". If that girl had been black and the killer white that thread would be 80 pages of virtue signaling garbage by now, I can guarantee you that much.

As for that honeypot, I could of told you she was lying about being raped just by looking at her.

lifa-cobex

28% is a legit issue though, that goes beyond weebs and forum warriors
Dunno.
We have a generation that's been raised by the web. People looking up on Reddit how to chat someone up as apposed to actually going out with trail and error. People missing the point of even through failure you still gain experience and confidence.
I think this gen want's something to akin of instant results but are terrified of failure. They get it everything else on the press of a button i.e music, movies, books, any an all information etc.

I've had people in their mid twenties acting like teenagers. "ask her if she's single for me. Ask her what she likes. etc". Just shy of kicking her in the shin and mumbling "i uh like you."

Guy at work wanted to ask a girl out for are Christmas party the year before last. Constant badgering of me and other co-workers to trying to gain information about her. We had all been working together for over a year and the only thing he could ever work up to say to her was "Hi" each morn.
Come the party and he's just sat at the table staring into his drink. People buying him drinks all night to try and get a rise from him.
I thought he was in his late teens early twenties. When I found out he was twenty seven, I near spat my drink across the room.
By that point we gave zero fucks and went off for a dance with everyone else. The fucker even gave me the dead eyes for having the audacity to have a dance with the girl in question. Gave me a look like i was trying to fuck his mum.

Honestly I've no real idea why ppl aren't getting laid. I can only go off what I've seen.

Hell look at Japan. They have a serious problem of people not spitting out kids.
Last I read it was about the pressure of putting career over family. The pressure of having to succeed. Maybe that issue is spreading over here.

Mista

Banned
Hah, thank you for never disappointing to amaze me. Fucking cunts! It’s unbelievable that there’s people living in denial like this.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its amazing isn't it, our current culture and politics are a bigger passion killer than the AIDS "epidemic" was back in the 80's...

Progress, aint it grand!

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more

My favorite replies in that thread we’re from this user: https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...-among-young-men.108713/page-17#post-19412783
I've already accepted my fate as someone who's gonna die single (and prolly a virgin) so there's no real reason for me to care about having sex.

We have more pressing matters in life than who we bone and even if we do bone someone. Why care about sex when we're like a decade away from irreversible and potentially disastrous damage to the planet?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
A hell of a lot of that is just straight up depression, and honestly surrounding oneself with people who make your depression worse by feeding into your pathologies is a dangerous path. If someone hasn't yet committed suicide as a result of that site, someone will.

Being a bit less specific, I'd say right now it's hard for guys. Apps have shifted the goalposts in ways that the old dating sites didn't so much, partly in view of being in wider use and partly in view of being solely photo-driven. It's changed the formula. Women have always aimed to marry up socially. That's always been an option too if they're attractive enough, men are suckers in that regard, but opportunity was more limited. The dating pool they had access to still mostly contained people at their own level, and eventually they'd settle. Now, everyone's in the same pool, and that means that marrying up is a lot easier for women, especially if they're very attractive. It means the guys at the bottom of the social ladder are feeding on crumbs. What it means is that a lot of women are fighting for a small number of guys, while a lot of guys are left with nothing. It's unhealthy and will cause some big social problems, as well as an epidemic of loneliness, not just among the guys who miss out but also among the guys who figure out this shit and play the field, never having to grow up and settle down, because eventually they will get old and fat and wonder why their lives feel empty.

I'm so glad I got all that shit done in the 00s.

ZeroGravity

possibly the most EPIC thread.

I only read the first and the last page but wow. Talk about having to eat crow. They all got played by a 13 year old.
Saw a post over there that really resonated, and there were definitely people agreeing with it too:

I've been using Era less and less these past few weeks just because of the overwhelming negativity that can be found here. It's depressing man. It's easy to say "Well just ignore those threads" but when most of the threads are full of some sort of controversy then you have to ask yourself "is it even worth browsing through anymore".

I love this place but it's becoming hard to stick around for as long as I used to. It feels like the place becomes less and less about actual "games" as the weeks go on.

/rantover
Maybe more and more people are starting to see the light. It isn't even just with politics or social justice rhetoric, but people being fed up with the overall tone of how they discuss games and the industry. It's a forum filled with people that have nothing but contempt for the industry, games, and the people who play them. I can be a negative person too on occasion and there's plenty of room for cynicism and skepticism but holy shit do they take it to the nth degree.

That isn't to say GAF and other places on the internet also don't have it's fair share of this, but I feel like a lot of that is also reactionary to the overreaction that a lot of these stories begin with. You eliminate that and the rest goes away with it.

Doczu

Now, everyone's in the same pool, and that means that marrying up is a lot easier for women, especially if they're very attractive. It means the guys at the bottom of the social ladder are feeding on crumbs. What it means is that a lot of women are fighting for a small number of guys, while a lot of guys are left with nothing. It's unhealthy and will cause some big social problems (...)

Yup, this is starting to look a lot like times before marriage and civilization where a few dudes banged the most of women.

Guys without sex can get desperate, and that ain't always nice.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, this is starting to look a lot like times before marriage and civilization where a few dudes banged the most of women.

Guys without sex can get desperate, and that ain't always nice.

Indeed. For the guys it's absolutely shit. Male suicide rates are bad, but loneliness is an absolute killer and once that takes hold male suicide rates are going to go through the roof. Consider that in addition to schools not serving males particularly well, which further reduces the social status of males. It's also bad for women, because their options will be either an asshole who's banged everyone or a low-ranker. The risk is that with a hollowed-out middle there's not enough options for them.

Going to ZeroGravity ZeroGravity 's post - honestly sometimes I feel that way about GAF too. I do think that, as much as the issues currently existing are big and important, it would be nice to have more content that gets away from that and focuses on games, on really fucking good articles, etc and yes I know I'm a part of the problem and I need to be part of the solution. As JP would put it, I should set my house in order before I criticise the world.

cryptoadam

Banned
Its easy to see why young people are having less sex.

MeToo and Toxic Masculinty have made approaching a girl practically a crime and you are one step away from being a rapist (according to SJW's). If the girl isn't into you and you smile at her or say hi then she will say you are harrassing her, god forbid you make any physical contact or compliment her.

And also we are getting fatter, but the whole big is beautiful and fat acceptance movement hasn't lowered peoples standards. So we have fatties who think they are 10's and deserve 10's. Reality is fat people usually aren't attractive. But when you think big is beautiful and the whole world is telling you that you can have whatever you want you don't settle.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
MeToo and Toxic Masculinty have made approaching a girl practically a crime and you are one step away from being a rapist (according to SJW's). If the girl isn't into you and you smile at her or say hi then she will say you are harrassing her, god forbid you make any physical contact or compliment her.

I am going to contradict myself a tiny bit here and say that I think the problem is more middle class than people realise. Men are worried about this stuff, no doubt, and certainly if I was dating now it would add to the huge list of things worrying me and reasons not to approach girls [and I do wonder if this is why we've gone down the app route - it's less messy than real-world interaction but our social rules have become binary, fit only for the digital world], but I don't think working class guys give too many shits, nor do working class women, as both have bigger fish to fry. The difficulty is that while I used to spend a lot of time in working class circles, I've rather lost touch with my roots so it's hard to say how much of this shit has transferred to the working classes. I see a hell of a lot of it among trust-fund millenials, but I just don't know how much it applies to the working classes (as I say, my instinct is that it's a lot less).

Dude just needs to nut up and see a hooker if he’s too incompetent to lose his V card on his own. The first one is always the hardest. Once you taste that sweet poonani you just know you gotta have more and that defeatism gets left behind.
It’s so weird to hear men talk as if getting laid is a task like climbing Everest.

You’re not returning the ring to the volcano it was made. It’s not a journey that spans 3 movies.

It’s just finding someone who wants dick. And demand for dick is historically strong.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
When I was younger I would be more likely to strike up conversations with people while out to kill time. Now I dont do that too often because people are always staring at their phones.

People also used to write decent amounts in their online dating profiles before everything moved to swipe apps. You’d exchange a few messages, maybe have a phone call and get to know the person at least a small amount before meeting up. Swipe apps don’t really provide something similiar.

I don’t think it’s too hard to get laid if someone really applies themselves and puts themselves out there a lot. I do find it harder to make more meaningful connections compared to how it used to be.

Overall dating was a lot more fun for me prior to all this new technology. (Old man yells at cloud)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom