• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLS Thread of First Kick Tuesday, March 15, 9:30 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how I feel about this whole 3 conference games against each opponent, 1 non-conference game thing. The cynical me thinks it's just a cheap trick to make the teams at the top of the east's records look better at the end of a season.

xbhaskarx

Bad luck for Gonzalez, hopefully he fully recovers in six months and still finds his way to Europe.

Not sure how I feel about this whole 3 conference games against each opponent, 1 non-conference game thing. The cynical me thinks it's just a cheap trick to make the teams at the top of the east's records look better at the end of a season.

As much as I like having a balanced schedule, that becomes hard with 19+ teams, unless you eliminate the playoffs, which is not an option. This is a huge country with a huge population and many large cities (plus Canada), I think it's almost certain that MLS will eventually have more than 20 teams (probably in the 30s like every other US league), so it's pretty much an inevitability.

Is anybody else watching the combine?

I just turned it on...

As much as I like having a balanced schedule, that becomes hard with 19+ teams, unless you eliminate the playoffs, which is not an option. This is a huge country with a huge population and many large cities (plus Canada), I think it's almost certain that MLS will eventually have more than 20 teams (probably in the 30s like every other US league), so it's pretty much an inevitability.

Only because we're too big of pussies to have relegation!

Oh no... I just realized I won't be able to attend the TFC Champions League match because I have to go to New York that week.
FUCK FUCK FUCK!
/me blows brains out

This game is gonna be crazy. They are expecting the largest attendance for a TFC game ever by far ... but that will be nothing compared to the excitement of watching a blurry internet stream in Brooklyn. arrrrg

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
It's almost draft time. The Red Bulls are sad. They don't even want to even be at the draft and don't give their bench a chance. Gave away a 1st rd pick for Kenny Cooper.

I'm excited since we'll be signing our first players this offseason. Hopefully we get some international signings soon.

xbhaskarx

So now the Red Bulls have Henry, Rodgers, Agudelo, Richards, and Cooper, plus last year they drafted Corey Hertzog... Who is getting traded?

Dartastic

It's almost draft time. The Red Bulls are sad. They don't even want to even be at the draft and don't give their bench a chance. Gave away a 1st rd pick for Kenny Cooper.

I'm excited since we'll be signing our first players this offseason. Hopefully we get some international signings soon.
Glad we got a 1st round pick, but kinda sad we lost KFC. He was really starting to come into his own. Sigh. Ah well.

xbhaskarx

So does Philly drafting Chandler Hoffman mean the rumors that they're trading Danny Mwanga are true?

Glad we got a 1st round pick, but kinda sad we lost KFC. He was really starting to come into his own. Sigh. Ah well.

Cooper was lousy, you're better off without him. Sure he will probably do better this year... he couldn't do much worse. The draft pick is just icing on the cake.

Dartastic

Cooper was lousy, you're better off without him. Sure he will probably do better this year... he couldn't do much worse. The draft pick is just icing on the cake.
I wouldn't say he was LOUSY... but he definitely had room to improve. I thought he was starting to do that the latter half of the season, but yeah. The draft pick and $$$ is pretty nice.

xbhaskarx

Dom Dwyer to SKC, who add him to their Kamara/Sapong/Bunbury/Saad forward stable, Enzo Martinez to RSL, joining Morales Gil and the rest...

xbhaskarx

Houston keeps drafting forwards of questionable talent as Colin Rolfe joins Will Bruin.

I wouldn't say he was LOUSY... but he definitely had room to improve. I thought he was starting to do that the latter half of the season, but yeah. The draft pick and $$$ is pretty nice.

One goal and one assist for a well-paid forward on a decent team, over 20 games from the beginning of May to mid-September, is lousy.

Who did new York pick. I think I missed their selections.

Toronto has their pick from the De Rosario trade:
#12 Aaron Maund (Notre Dame) Position: D

Houston keeps drafting forwards of questionable talent as Colin Rolfe joins Will Bruin.

One goal and one assist for a well-paid forward on a decent team, over 20 games from the beginning of May to mid-September, is lousy.

Toronto has their pick from the De Rosario trade:
#12 Aaron Maund (Notre Dame) Position: D

Yeah I was surprised by that one,but I don't think that was a bad pick.

xbhaskarx

Montreal win the draft with Andrew Wenger and Calum Mallace, not surprising I guess...
The top 7 could all be solid, SKC and RSL did well with late picks, and Philly with Hoffman, and Finlay could also be good, imo.

Montreal win the draft with Andrew Wenger and Calum Mallace, not surprising I guess...
The top 7 could all be solid, SKC and RSL did well with late picks, and Philly with Hoffman, and Finlay could also be good, imo.

I think Mallace is going to surprise a lot of people with how well he plays.

So does anybody think Vancouver is going to send Mattocks to another team?

xbhaskarx

So does anybody think Vancouver is going to send Mattocks to another team?

No way, what could they get in return that would make it a good idea to trade away talent like that? Defense doesn't cost much, they can fill in their holes through other means.
I think they'll find somewhere else to play Mattocks this year, but it's more a long term pick. Hassli is 30, if everything goes according to plan two years from now their starting forwards could be Mattocks and Salgado.

xbhaskarx

Photo of 18 of the 19 MLS coaches, for the NYRB fans:

403805_10150524824628887_9733218886_8795792_128695047_n.jpg

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Backe is a terrible coach. That picture is priceless.

I don't know much about Deleon who we picked up. Depth out wide would be nice if it allows Pontius to play up top. Now it is time to sign 11 more players.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I fucking hate the New York Red Bulls organization. Just...FUCK.

Soler is saying Backe was dealing with personal matters, my statement still stands.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member

Soler is saying Backe was dealing with personal matters, my statement still stands.

I don't know why they wasted their only pick on a 3rd string goalie that will never play when they could have added some depth somewhere else.

xbhaskarx

Looks like Junior Flores has rejected MLS for now...

Herbert Mejia-Flores turns down chance to play for Major League Soccer this year

Despite repeated overtures from Major League Soccer, Manassas Park resident Herbert Mejia-Flores has decided to remain with the U.S. Under-17 National Team Residency Program for at least this year.

In preparation for its annual draft this Thursday, MLS made three offers to Flores to get him to turn professional and become part of the Generation Adidas program that allows players to compete with MLS prior to their high school or college graduation.

But Flores and his family declined each one, opting instead to relook at the situation next year about whether to make Flores available for the MLS SuperDraft.

MLS made its initial offer to the 15-year-old Flores last Tuesday. Flores’ family rejected MLS’ initial offer, which included a $100,000 signing bonus to Flores and a base salary of $33,750 for his first year with the league.

MLS came back with a higher offer Wednesday, upping the signing bonus to $130,000. If he did sign with MLS, Flores’ contract would be for four years.

Teams overseas continue to express their interest in Flores as well. He’s already received an offer from the German club Borussia Dortmund, but he is not eligible to sign a contract with that team until he is 18.

Flores, who turns 16 in March, leaves Saturday to compete with the U-17 team in a tournament at Turkey. At least seven European clubs are expected to be in attendance at the tournament to watch Flores, including FC Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund.

Interest in Flores, who will not turn 16 until March, increased a great deal after his performance at the Nike Friendlies Nov. 30-Dec. 4 where he scored one goal and had three assists to help the U.S. U-17 win the tournament.

ZZMitch

Picked up a ticket for the CONCACAF game at the Rogers Center for Toronto FC vs LA Galaxy.

I am really excited because this will be the first soccer match that I go to and I got a great seat!

elsk

Banned
Looks like two Real España (Honduras) players are going to a MLS club (Seattle?).
One of the players is from the reserves, the other one from the senior/starting team. My guess from the senior team is Mario Martínez, a very talented attacking mid/winger.

The president of the club is saying that they're just waiting for the players' visa and to get the travel tickets and they're good to go.

http://www.latribunadeportiva.hn/2012/01/17/dos-jugadores-del-real-espana-jugarian-en-la-mls/

Edit: Looks like the Ever Alvarado (left-back) and a CB from the reserves (19 years old) are the two players mentioned early. My little brother played against the CB like two weeks ago, heh.

xbhaskarx

Coyle targets American market for talent

IF Wanderers continue to tap into the rich seam of talent in the MLS it won’t be long before the Stars and Stripes is flying high at the Reebok Stadium.

Flushed with the success of Stuart Holden (pictured) – the midfield diamond he signed from Houston Dynamo and who has been so desperately missed during his long injury lay-off – Owen Coyle is so convinced there are rich pickings to be had across the Atlantic that he has been driving his family to distraction watching an endless stream of film footage of potential recruits.

And it appears to be paying dividends with US international centre-back Tim Ream just a work permit away from completing his £2.5million transfer from New York Red Bulls and Philadelphia Union’s French striker Sebastien Le Toux currently at the Reebok on a week’s trial.

There is an obvious attraction in the bargains to be had when shopping in the MLS, where fees can be a fraction of those demanded in Europe, but it is not just finance that prompts Coyle to ensure he has all bases covered Stateside.

He is convinced there are players in America who not only have the ability but also the right attitude to cope with the mental and physical demands of playing top-flight football.

And Ream is a prime example.

“I believe Tim Ream is a player who can get better,” the Wanderers boss said of the defender he is on the verge of making his first signing of the current transfer window.

“He’s 24 years of age, but 24 in America is probably, I would suggest, about 21 (in football development terms) because of the college education which is so important, and I totally understand that. But within that they miss out on starting their careers earlier than they probably could have.

“That’s why the American players do have an impact on the Premier League when they come here because, regardless of their age, they maybe have a freshness for not having been thrown in from 17 or 18 years of age and everything that goes with that. I don’t know the answer, but they certainly come in with an energy and a desire to show their worth.

“I believe Tim Ream has all those qualities, added to his natural attributes and God-given talent and his tremendous physical condition.”

The percentage of American players in the Premier League is still small, but Coyle makes it clear he is committed to tapping into the MLS market.

“They’ve been able to entice some top, top players into their league, and within that they have some top players themselves,” he added. “You see Landon Donovan is over just now with Everton, as he has been before, and playing at a very high level.

“But for years the American players have done well in the Premier League.

“They’ve made an impact and that’s because, firstly, they are very talented, and, secondly, they have a mentality that deals with the demands of the league.”

So Coyle will continue to keep in touch with his American contacts – including US national coach Jurgen Klinsmann, who gave Ream a glowing reference – and will continue to pore over the supply of match action he receives from the MLS as well as all the other domestic leagues he has covered – even if it doesn’t go down well at home.

“I can’t say my family’s best pleased when I’m sitting watching all the stuff,” he admitted. “But that’s the nature of the job.”

Good publicity for MLS....

The Red Bulls' front office does a lot wrong. Their disregard of the draft is not one of those mistakes. With talent increasingly being shunted into the academy development programs, there's just not a ton of talent ready to contribute to MLS outside, say, the top 5 picks. We're admittedly pretty deep and had late round picks, but still, I would be surprised if any of the Sounders' picks even made the team. It's just not that big of a deal, and I think NYRB gets a lot more for their draft picks when trading than they're worth.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Ouch the Union lost Mondragon and possibly Le Toux.

I disagree that drafted players are not ready to contribute. Plata was immense for Toronto. KC was criticized for their pick with the #10 pick who turned out to be the ROTY. Korb for us was a solid 2nd choice RB. Michael Farfan. Sean Johnson was # 51 the previous draft. Tim Ream not in top 5. Sinovic etc. The NYRB have showed that they build an organization the wrong way.

Remy

The allocation process needs to be abolished.

100% agreed. All it is at this point is an excuse for teams who played like shit the previous year to draft a player they aren't going to use and hold him hostage for another team. Either get rid of the system entirely, or change it radically. Maybe make it two cycles through the order, and if any team selects in the first cycle, they wouldn't be allowed to trade the player until the next transfer window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom