• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official ArmA 2 Thread of DOGCHUTES RGR

So... the graphical fidelity that i'm getting with the demo is somewhere between the SNES and the PSX. I think my 8800GT is better than this. I'll definitely wait for several dozen patches before buying.

KillJade

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
So... the graphical fidelity that i'm getting with the demo is somewhere between the SNES and the PSX. I think my 8800GT is better than this. I'll definitely wait for several dozen patches before buying.

Thank god. I thought it was just me. I have an 8800gt also and I've played better looking games that don't run like this :(

TouchMyBox said:
o/\o

we're on the same page.

It's like playing a UE3 game when you first start and are waiting for all the textures and geometry to load, except it never does... However the main menu backdrop was pretty, so i haven't an idea what's going on.

I'll try update to the newest nvidia whql in the morning.

Nikorasu

TouchMyBox said:
It's like playing a UE3 game when you first start and are waiting for all the textures and geometry to load, except it never does... However the main menu backdrop was pretty, so i haven't an idea what's going on.

I'll try update to the newest nvidia whql in the morning.

Yeah, I mentioned earlier that the unpatched german version ran quite a lot smoother at higher settings on my machine than this supposedly up to date demo, so I have no idea what's going on either. The german version actually seemed like it ran smoother at maximum detail than arma 1 at the same settings, and looked 10 times better at that!

madmook

Trying to play the demo for the first time.... where the fuck is X3DAudio1_6.dll?!?!!?!??!

Edit: checked BI forums... downloading latest DX9 redistributable... hope it works.

Edit2: it works! diving in... goddamn unskippable splash screens...

Nikorasu

dLMN8R said:
The mouse lag is the main killer for me...any workarounds that people know of?

It's hardly a twitch shooter so I don't seem to mind it at all, but then I usually play games with vsync on...

madmook said:
Trying to play the demo for the first time.... where the fuck is X3DAudio1_6.dll?!?!!?!??!

Edit: checked BI forums... downloading latest DX9 redistributable... hope it works.

Edit2: it works! diving in... goddamn unskippable splash screens...

It's actually loading the menu during the splash screens.

Thaedolus

dLMN8R said:

That's what I'm trying to figure out. It's really annoying, and I can't find a v-sync toggle or anything. I couldn't even size up a target on the range since the input was so sluggish

Flunkie

Banned
Well I'm glad I played the demo. Saved me $50. Aiming and shooting mechanics feel completely archaic, as I expected.

dLMN8R said:
Thaedolus said:
That's what I'm trying to figure out. It's really annoying, and I can't find a v-sync toggle or anything. I couldn't even size up a target on the range since the input was so sluggish
Also this.

Atrophis

TheExodu5 said:
CS recoil is an example of some of the best recoil mechanics in games today. It does move your POV upwards, but it comes back down on its own.

What? :lol :lol

Are you sure you've ever played CS? Cause i assure you the recoil does not work that way. CS uses a cone of fire system that increases bullet spread the longer you fire. This is a poor artificial way of simulating recoil. Your POV does not change at all.

ARMA actually kicks back the gun when you fire. Go play the proper mission in the demo, where you start on a helicopter. Your given a machine gun and if you try to fire it while standing or crouching your wont be able to hit shit because the gun is bucking up.

Day of Defeat still has the best implemenation of recoil I have ever seen. Perhaps you were confusing DoD for CS?

Game is completely CPU bound but it scales pretty well for quads, had my buddy with a stock clocked Q6600, and an 8800gt do the benchmark with every setting as low as possible and he scored an average of 50 to my average of 37 with an e6850 running at 3.75ghz.

Burger

Man, I just had a total Aliens moment...

So I'm hunting some war crimes asshole, clearing out suspected locations. After a dead end we emerge back out of the forest and I radio in for a transport chopper to what I thought was a clear LZ. Little did I know that the APC I spotted over the ridge about 15 minutes ago had caught up with us.

After waiting for the chopper for a minute or so, my guys spot troops across the ridge and my heavy machine gunner starts slinging lead across the way. I took 2 exposed soldiers out, while my marksman starts taking shots.

As tracers shoot out across the gully, the helo screams over the ridge and gets immediately set upon by the enemy. Black smoke pours from the chopper and it plummets into a ball of fire and steel 60m in front of us as we finish off the last guy.

Game over man, game over. What the fuck was I going to do now ?

Barso

Banned
Absolutely loving this game.
But anyone having sli issues with GTX295, go the EVGA site and DL update that includes sli support for arma2.
BI delivered with this game and to expect it to not have bugs on release is a bit silly.
The vision and scope of what is happening is unbelievable.
I was in the armed forces for 14 years, been out now for 7 and this game really does take me back to there at times. It's quite spooky at times how ambitious and realistic this game can be.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hrm, warming up to it a little. Tried that first mission again and it didn't bug out this time, had a decent experience with it. Afterwards I loaded up the editor....

arma2demoeditor01.jpg

My half dozen highly skilled snipers and marksmen on top of the hill against a great deal of russian infantry in the village. Surprisingly easy to set up and pretty fun trying different ways to approach it.

Okay, just installed the newest Nvidia WHQL drivers on my computer, and boy do we finally have a competitor to crysis!

Chilling with my comrades...
ArmA2Demo-2009-06-26-10-09-44-62.jpg

That man is stealing all of the polygons!!
ArmA2Demo-2009-06-26-10-09-51-55.jpg

Beautiful View...
ArmA2Demo-2009-06-26-10-10-04-29.jpg

Stopping to enjoy the wilderness...
ArmA2Demo-2009-06-26-10-12-04-18.jpg

Flib

Game is a buggy, unoptomized piece of shit with bizarrely archaic controls.

That being said, I still had a fucking blast in the demo and immediately bought the full game. If the full game delivers on the promise of the demo, this may be my GOTY so far.

Flib said:
Game is a buggy, unoptomized piece of shit with bizarrely archaic controls.

That being said, I still had a fucking blast in the demo and immediately bought the full game. If the full game delivers on the promise of the demo, this may be my GOTY so far.
:lol

I might use your post to introduce the OP. Perfect.

I'm playing the demo and loving it. I skipped boot camp and completely didn't know what to do in the second mission (Warfare). I am REALLY intrigued by Warfare...mix of RTS + FPS + SIM? Can this work?

My performance is fine, around 30 fps constant with medium settings, with very high antistropic (terrain looks blurry without it). I'll tinker with all the settings later; my benchmark with all high/a few very high @ 1280 x 768 was 23, so I lowered a few things.

E5200 2.5ghz
6gb Ram
HD4850 512

I'm happy with it. Back to the game!

Has anyone tried to play others' user missions in the demo?

Flib

I actually turned off post-processing, because it was making everything look like it was covered in butter. I'm playing at a lower resolution than my native though, so that may be a reason why. The game runs very smoothly for me with settings on Very High at 1440x900, which is weird since I can play Crysis at a better resolution with better performance, but whatever. Game still looks good.

Anyone have any helicopter tips? I was able to finally complete the transport training, but had major issues with the attack chopper. Either way, had some hilariously epic crashes and they're a lot of fun to pilot. Probably just need practice, as with most aspects of the game.

Darklord

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
Okay, just installed the newest Nvidia WHQL drivers on my computer, and boy do we finally have a competitor to crysis!

Chilling with my comrades...
ArmA2Demo-2009-06-26-10-09-44-62.jpg

Oh awesome, there's a OP:F graphics option.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Had a blast with a friend in co-op on the demo last night. We must have played the map where you start over the hill in the woods from a village about two dozen times last night. We never did successfully complete it, but had a blast. It was imperative to take out the APC post haste, which the computer never did if he happened to spawn as the guy with the AT weapon.

Game is hard a hell even on the easiest difficulty, but man is it fun. I have to say the graphics didn't impress me like the screenshots and videos had lead me to believe. I have it fully cranked on Very High @ 1920x1200 res and it just looks like it's missing something.

Bought the full version off Steam already, though.

Darklord said:
Oh awesome, there's a OP:F graphics option.

Yeah, I wonder if I set the graphics to medium or low if it would become 16 and 8 bit respectively.

On another note, I'm currently downloading the demo from fileshack, maybe the steam version is just borked.

Played the demo last night, really had fun. Yes it's really unoptimized, and the controls are not ideal to say the least but damned if I didn't have a great time with it. The voices just crack me the hell up. Clipping issues were a turn off though. AI was "competent" but they did tend to make some bad choices as far as running right out in the open, etc. Also saw a couple people clip right into buildings through an outside wall. Explosions were nice looking and the potential for epic battles is certainly there. Not sorry I pre-ordered it at all, looking forward to spending the weekend playing it. I didn't have any mouse lag, I tried the firing range and had no problems zeroing in on the targets.

It ran decently on my setup (PhenomII X4 920, 4870 1gb). Was playing with most things on high or normal @ 1920x1080 with 3d graphics set the same. Benchmark said it was averaging 35fps. I can deal with the bugs since they have a history of providing excellent post release support.

Has anyone tried it with an Xbox 360 controller? Is there a profile for it? Usually I wouldn't even consider using one but I think it would work ok for this game, since it's slower paced. Being a fan of the BF series, I can really see myself getting into this game.

Just tried downloading the demo off of fileshack to see if that would help, no dice. :(

Shame too, because what I was playing was really fun, it just hurt my eyes way too much (and i could hardly see the enemies)

For those who already have it would you mind rating it from 1-10 as of right now? That will give those of us who are on the fence a little more to go by. Thanks!

Flib

LovingSteam said:
For those who already have it would you mind rating it from 1-10 as of right now? That will give those of us who are on the fence a little more to go by. Thanks!

There's a demo if you're on the fence. It's hard to rate this game, since it has a ton of things wrong with it and it needs more work, but at the same time it's just so much fun to play and ambitious as hell. I'd give the demo an 8 in the end, haven't played the full game yet.

ZombieSupaStar said:
C2D E6850 @ 3ghz
2 gigs ram
280gtx

around 30-45 fps at 1920x1080 (All settings to high, no AA, medium shadows, 100% renderer)
Run the benchmark, that first mission also ran totally fine for me.

Zeliard

LovingSteam said:

It's a very difficult game to rate like that at this point. It's virtually a fact that a lot of the game's annoyances will be improved and/or fixed through patches, as that is almost always the case with these types of games (when that doesn't happen, it's usually because the company folded).

So ultimately, it depends on how much of that you want to take into account. The game's major problems can nearly all be fixed through official patches and unofficial mods, and likely will be. At this stage, I'd still give it a good rating based on what it offers right now.

As far as whether or not you'll like it, it's probably impossible to determine until you actually play it. I've never been a big sim guy when it comes to any genre, but this game got its hooks into me fairly quickly (I do adore sandbox games, though).

TheExodu5

Banned
Atrophis said:
What? :lol :lol

Are you sure you've ever played CS? Cause i assure you the recoil does not work that way. CS uses a cone of fire system that increases bullet spread the longer you fire. This is a poor artificial way of simulating recoil. Your POV does not change at all.

ARMA actually kicks back the gun when you fire. Go play the proper mission in the demo, where you start on a helicopter. Your given a machine gun and if you try to fire it while standing or crouching your wont be able to hit shit because the gun is bucking up.

Day of Defeat still has the best implemenation of recoil I have ever seen. Perhaps you were confusing DoD for CS?

I'll get back to it and give it another chance.

Oh, and yes CS does bring your POV up. It just comes back down on it's own. It feels as close as any game to immitating recoil as I've felt it (though mind you, I've never fire an automatic).

I hate DoD's implementation of recoil. Sure, it brings your gun up, but it doesn't take into account that the gravity will force the gun back down after the shot.

Flib

Yeah, I'm not a military sim guy by any stretch of the imagination, and wasn't a big Operation Flashpoint fan, but after watching one of the earlier videos in the thread, my interest was piqued. From the demo, seems like it delivers and is just a ton of fun. Can't wait to play the full version tonight.

TheExodu5 said:
I'll get back to it and give it another chance.

Oh, and yes CS does bring your POV up. It just comes back down on it's own. It feels as close as any game to immitating recoil as I've felt it (though mind you, I've never fire an automatic).

I hate DoD's implementation of recoil. Sure, it brings your gun up, but it doesn't take into account that the gravity will force the gun back down after the shot.

I'm not too sure, but as was mentioned, doesn't CS use a cone fire system? One of the worst for simulating a firearm.

Give it another shot. The game needs patience, but its not for everyone.

And also, to whoever said there is no recoil: did you even play the game? I don't see how you could shoot any of the weapons in it and not experience the recoil.

IlludiumQ36

TouchMyBox said:
Okay, I added "- winxp" to the command line, and now it works. Apparently it's a bug with the Vista/7 version of DX9.
Thanks for that info. I'll give that a try when I get home.

This is what I'm dealing with at the moment:
PS2-Arma2.jpg

This is with everything set to High. :|

TheExodu5

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
And also, to whoever said there is no recoil: did you even play the game? I don't see how you could shoot any of the weapons in it and not experience the recoil.

That was me. :lol

I've only tried the M249 in the demo...and it didn't even feel like I was shooting a weapon. There really was no recoil. Glitch maybe? I'll try FRAPSing when I get home.

Top Bottom